PDA

View Full Version : The LHC Detectives and The Case of HARD, healthy hair. (Clues inside)

CurlyCap
December 6th, 2011, 09:31 PM
Hi All.

I'm hoping that you guys can help me trouble shoot. My hair for the last 6 months can only be described as hard/rough/coarse/unpleasant, and I can't figure out why! I'm used to my hair being big, but it's usually big and soft, like a cloud. I want it back!

Timeline of things you should know:

2+ years ago: Co-washed 90% of the time with Humectress or Herbal Essences Hello Hydration. Shampoo'd once a week with Head and Shoulders. Towel dryed and sprayed down with infusium, coated with sillicone serum (Paul Mitchell's Skinny Serum). Damped bunned every night for bed. Hair was SOFT and only needed trimming every 6 months - 1 years.

2 years ago: Diagnosed with tons of adult onset allergies. Shampoos started to make my head itch. Went co-washing 95% of time, still Humectress and Hello Hydration. Shampoo only used (Head and Shoulders) because of extreme flaking during season changes (~4x a year). Damp bunned at night. Infusium and Serum both diluted to avoid irritation and applied lightly. Hair was soft. Scalp was happy.

1 year ago: Co-washed, barely ever shampoo'd. Humectress started not being great. Switched to Hello Hydration, or Garnier Fructis (Dry, Damaged Hair). Skin couldn't tolerate (had rashes) to infusium and serums, so quit using. Damp bunned at night. Hair was soft.

November 2010: Cut hair. Same co-wash routine, just no damp bunning (no hair!). Hair was soft.

Jan-August 2011: Even conditioners started being irritating. Started all natural hair care. No rashes or badness, but hair started breaking from too much protein. Hair was getting hard, but it was tolerable.

Fall 2011: Still haven't found a good replacement conditioner that isn't irritating. Removed all proteins from haircare. Hair quit breaking, but kept getting harder. Commercial conditioners that I can tolerate: Dove Daily Moisture, Garnier Fructisse Triple Nutrition. Co-wash every night. Sleep with hair "down".

Currently, there is no splitting or breaking. The lengths feel coarse though, and the thicker strands look almost crinkled.

Things I've tried in the last few months to get rid of the hardness:
Clarify more frequently: Hair just turned dry
Trim: Removed ends, but the hardness in the length never went away.
Oil-then-co-wash: Scalp liked it, hair is not splitting, but still hard.
SMT: Doesn't really change anything.
Conditioner/masks overnight: No effect
ACV: Removed some hardness. Only been doing for 2 weeks. Helps lengths, but not uniformly. I feel like it's compensating for the grossly hard city water, but not addressing underlying problem that began before I moved to the city.
Oil-Conditioner: 50/50 oil to conditioner. I feel this stopped the hair from getting hard as quickly.
Damp bunning: REALLY helps. Damp bun overnight, take out in the morning, and hair stays soft (moist maybe?) until the next afternoon. My hair is short, though, so this is hard.

Any ideas? Questions to help you ponder recommendations?

The only other thing I think is important to note is that I've found quite a few gray hairs recently, and those are also crinkley. I'm only 28, so I assume they are stress grays+ bad genetics. Sometimes I wonder if the thick crinkly strands could also be pre-gray hairs.

I would appreciate any help! My hair looks good and isn't breaking or splitting, but it feels so gross!

LadyKate
December 6th, 2011, 10:02 PM
I'm certainly no expert, but I have fairly sensitive skin, so I started making my own soap, which helped since I could control what went into it. Have you tried making your own conditioner? It sounds like your hair likes CO washing, maybe a non-irritating conditioner will help?

aspartame gram
December 6th, 2011, 10:02 PM
Yikes, I'm so sorry! This must be so frustrating. I'm certain someone else has some great advice to give. Maybe use some coconut oil? I currently use Dudu-Osum shampoo and I love it. It's all natural (so it hopefully won't aggravate your allergies) but it really cleanses well. I normally have the problem where SLS free shampoo, because they have too much protein, won't always clean my hair well.

Also, I find that coconut oil works wonders. Have you tried this?

aspartame gram
December 6th, 2011, 10:16 PM
Edit: Ah! Didn't realize I had repeated myself! I was at work over eleven hours. Eeep! I had good intentions!

coffinhert
December 6th, 2011, 10:49 PM
Some people have bought shower heads that filter the water and swear it's totally worth the price. Might be an option if you think hard water is the issue.

haibane
December 6th, 2011, 10:52 PM
Since damp bunning works, have you tried misting your hair? Damp bunning helps to keep my hair from going dry/brittle, so it might be similar. Misting helps too even if I don't bun my hair, but if I keep it down I sometimes need to mist my hair several times a day to keep it from going brittle. I guess the moisture evaporates faster when the hair isn't protected in a bun.

Also, I think Dove Daily Moisture might have cones in it(?) which might lock moisture out and create buildup, both which might make hair less soft.

BlazingHeart
December 6th, 2011, 11:02 PM
This is only a guess, as I don't know the conditioners you're mentioning well enough to be certain, but between removing the serum and switching conditioners, it sounds like you may be using a lot fewer 'cones. 'Cones can definitely create the impression of silkiness, which it sounds like you are missing. Perhaps you need to find a new serum your skin approves of, or mix your own?

~Blaze

CurlyCap
December 23rd, 2011, 01:43 AM
Hi All.

I'm pretty sure it was mineral build-up.

I've been washing with a pretty concentrated ACV rinse for a month now, and my hair has gotten a ton softer. My guess is silicones hid what the hard water was doing, and when I got rid of them because of allergies to my favorite conditioners, the build-up started to show.

Also a plus: When the hardness went away, so did my single strand knots. YAY!