PDA

View Full Version : Build up question

Yasmine91
December 6th, 2011, 06:44 PM
I'm not sure if I get build up on my scalp so I hope you guys can educate me.

I know that I definately don't have dandruff. But when I scratch my head hard enough with my nail, I get this white, greyish stuff in my nail. It feels mushy and kinda oily. Is this build up? if so, what's the cause of it and what can I do to get rid and prevent it?

amantha
December 6th, 2011, 06:49 PM
I have this too off and on. My dermatologist told me it was seborrheic dermatitis, which is a kind of dandruff. Not all dandruff results in flakes all over your shirt. :)

To prevent it: I use Selsun Blue (the kind that leaves no residue...I think it says it's for a normal to oily scalp). I scrub into my scalp, let it sit for 5 minutes, rinse. Repeat one more time. Follow up with lots of conditioner because it will dry your hair out.

Hope that helps!

Yasmine91
December 6th, 2011, 06:53 PM
Oooh damn lol I guess this dandruff is better than having visible flakes :P no offence to anyone of course.

I'll try to find that, don't know if it's here in the UK.

Amber_Maiden
December 6th, 2011, 06:53 PM
I get that after a couple of days of not washing my hair. Around the 5th day I get it. It's not dandruff, it's just scalp debris; oil, skin, etc. I guess you could call it a type of buildup, but honestly, the next time you shampoo your hair, it'll just come out. If you wash your hair every 2 days, you probably won't experience it at all.

Yasmine91
December 6th, 2011, 06:56 PM
Ahh that's good. I wash my hair once a week though, washing it more than that will make my hair dry :/

amantha
December 6th, 2011, 07:00 PM
I get that after a couple of days of not washing my hair. Around the 5th day I get it. It's not dandruff, it's just scalp debris; oil, skin, etc. I guess you could call it a type of buildup, but honestly, the next time you shampoo your hair, it'll just come out. If you wash your hair every 2 days, you probably won't experience it at all.

Yeah when I'm not experiencing SD and I'm extra lazy between washings, I do get similar looking stuff to the stuff I get with SD but I'm pretty sure that is just oil and dead skin like Amber_Maiden said. The only way I think one can tell is if you can scratch this junk off of your scalp within 1-2 days after washing it. I have to wash my hair every other day right now because I'm getting SD again and within 12-24 hours I can start scratching this stuff off of my scalp again. If I go more than 2 days between washings, my scalp starts to ache from it. The dandruff shampoo is helping immensely right now though.

If you don't have the brand Selsun Blue, just look for any brand of dandruff shampoo that has 1% selenium sulfide in it.

Kelikea
December 6th, 2011, 07:08 PM
Any dandruff shampoo only works while you use it and then your dandruff will come right back. Using apple cider vinegar lowers the pH of your scalp, which dandruff and other fungi and yeast do not like. When you notice this "buildup" or other dandruff-y scalp issue, try dissolving a tbs of baking soda in a cup or two of warm water, wash your hair with that. Then pour acv diluted 1/10 to water over your hair. I use dispenser bottles, kinda like ketchup/mustard bottles, to do this. It really helps with the buildup issue and keeps your scalp healthy.

amantha
December 6th, 2011, 07:13 PM
Any dandruff shampoo only works while you use it and then your dandruff will come right back. Using apple cider vinegar lowers the pH of your scalp, which dandruff and other fungi and yeast do not like. When you notice this "buildup" or other dandruff-y scalp issue, try dissolving a tbs of baking soda in a cup or two of warm water, wash your hair with that. Then pour acv diluted 1/10 to water over your hair. I use dispenser bottles, kinda like ketchup/mustard bottles, to do this. It really helps with the buildup issue and keeps your scalp healthy.

I would think that using ACV would be just as temporary as well. I don't see how it can permanently alter the pH of your scalp? Could you explain this to me? I'm only asking because I did try ACV about a year ago and it didn't do a thing for my scalp :(

I basically only use dandruff shampoo every now and then to keep it in check. It comes and goes depending on season, health, etc.

Yasmine91
December 6th, 2011, 07:14 PM

Might try this actually, cheers luv :)

Kelikea
December 6th, 2011, 07:33 PM
ACV will not permanently change the pH of your scalp, but it is a much more natural and healthy alternative to putting chemicals on your head. Dandruff shampoos, and soaps in general, tend to be above your skins normal or healthy pH, thus leaving you with continuing problems.