PDA

View Full Version : Placenta in hair oils?!

A. Correira
December 6th, 2011, 03:48 PM
Today I went to look around Sally Beauty Supply and saw a hair oil that contained protein from placenta in it! It was a mixture of Olive oil and Placenta protein. I am not too sure what I think of this. :confused: I will admit that I bought a sample of it because it interested me so much. Has anyone else seen this kind of thing or have any experiences with it?

Calaelen
December 6th, 2011, 03:56 PM
I use their henna and placenta mask, and I LOVE it for occasional use. everyone I have mentioned it to is sickened, but it isn't like I am putting chunks of or mashed placenta in my hair. I used a mask two days ago, and for some reason it seems to have left my ends a little dry, maybe my hair got too much protein.

BabyRay33
December 6th, 2011, 03:57 PM
I use them fairly frequently. I'm not really grossed out by it, but it does have a certain...animal smell to it a little bit.

I'm not terribly squeemish though.

It makes my hair really soft and nice.

Mina17
December 6th, 2011, 05:19 PM
I'm a fan of the Hask Henna'n'Placenta masks too. The placenta part made me a touch squeamish at first but then I thought, well I eat meat so why is this any different?

Nae
December 6th, 2011, 05:22 PM
I use Hask's Henna and Placenta too. I like to use it ocassionally when I think my hair needs a little protein. It looks like any other conditioner, white and creamy looking. It does smell too perfumey for my tastes but other than that it is good stuff.

A. Correira
December 6th, 2011, 05:24 PM
I will admit, even though it does surprise me a lot, I am excited to try the sample that I bought. I never really thought of oil like this and since no one on the threads that I have read have talked about placenta in oils or masks at all, it seems weird and uncommon. It is nice to know that others have tried it too!

Bonkers57
December 6th, 2011, 05:29 PM
I used Hask Placenta many many years ago per my hairdressers' recommendation; I really liked what it did for my hair...maybe I'll try it again.

Annibelle
December 6th, 2011, 05:50 PM
I wouldn't try this, as I'm a vegetarian, but I am curious... what kind of placenta is it? Does it say? Is it cow's, sheep's, etc.?

Mina17
December 6th, 2011, 05:53 PM
I wouldn't try this, as I'm a vegetarian, but I am curious... what kind of placenta is it? Does it say? Is it cow's, sheep's, etc.?

I found an article that said it's cow placenta.

Amber_Maiden
December 6th, 2011, 06:34 PM
I found an article that said it's cow placenta.

Huh. In most products I believe they use sheep. Very interesting they used a cow....

I agree. It's kind of disturbing. Coming from a vegan standpoint.

Kind of reminds me how some of my friends have saved their placentas after giving birth and dried them out/ground them up... and done various things with them from using them as hair masks to eating them. It's cool they do that, I don't think I would/could.

Hollyfire3
December 6th, 2011, 07:15 PM
I have used that hair mask, and aside from the plecenta thing (poor cow), be careful because if your hair hates protein, that mask is not for you. it made my hair go into protein overload mode very fast and i'm still recovering. I do wish they used something other than placetna in the mask though. . .

11eleven
December 6th, 2011, 08:09 PM
UGH! I just could never. It turns my stomache. I also heard about Emu oil, it's from an actual Emu that has been killed and you put it on your hair, and I just could never bring myself to put that on my hair either. YUCK!

Bonkers57
December 6th, 2011, 09:06 PM
I did some research and it is in fact sheep's placenta.

To quote the article:

Hask placenta is not made from human placenta. It is instead, made from sheep placenta. It is a protein diet for bleached, tinted, or damaged hair and promotes healthy, strong hair.

Placenta is basically after birth. The placenta is taken after a mom sheep has her baby sheep. (Baa!) This does not harm the mother or the baby. Normally they would just discard the placenta. In this way, the product is eco-friendly as they are reusing something that used to be thrown away. The product is also all-natural and biodegradable!

According to the reviews for hask placenta, it works very well. The thought of putting sheep placenta on your hair is a bit intimidating though. The benefits of using this product are tremendous though. To keep your hair from getting damaged, you should always strive to keep your hair healthy in the first place.

AnqeIicDemise
December 6th, 2011, 09:55 PM
Oh! Would you mind telling me what brand it was? I used to wash with a placenta protein shampoo when I was younger and I had the most amazing hair. I haven't been able to find anything like that since the mid 90s. O.o

and yes, I know I am weird.

Bonkers57
December 7th, 2011, 11:24 AM
The brand is Hask - the only place I've seen it is at Sally's (a beauty supply store). Now they seem to have several different varieties of these treatments. Sally's still carries the original - I may be making a foray to Sally's today... and as far as weirdness, aren't we all?

Oh! Would you mind telling me what brand it was? I used to wash with a placenta protein shampoo when I was younger and I had the most amazing hair. I haven't been able to find anything like that since the mid 90s. O.o

and yes, I know I am weird.

Amber_Maiden
December 7th, 2011, 11:29 AM
The brand is Hask - the only place I've seen it is at Sally's (a beauty supply store).

I've seen it at Pharmaprix/Shopper's Drug Mart

airmid
December 7th, 2011, 11:58 AM
I've heard good things about placenta being an excellent skin softener/hair conditioner. I'd use it if it was my own placenta! Better than throwing it out! :D Not sure about another animal's placenta, although if it's not hurting the animal then I wouldn't have a problem...

Bonkers57
December 8th, 2011, 02:55 PM
I wouldn't think so, since a sheep expels its afterbirth just like a human does.

I've heard good things about placenta being an excellent skin softener/hair conditioner. I'd use it if it was my own placenta! Better than throwing it out! :D Not sure about another animal's placenta, although if it's not hurting the animal then I wouldn't have a problem...

Panth
December 9th, 2011, 12:42 AM
I did some research and it is in fact sheep's placenta.

To quote the article:

Hask placenta is not made from human placenta. It is instead, made from sheep placenta. It is a protein diet for bleached, tinted, or damaged hair and promotes healthy, strong hair.

Placenta is basically after birth. The placenta is taken after a mom sheep has her baby sheep. (Baa!) This does not harm the mother or the baby. Normally they would just discard the placenta. In this way, the product is eco-friendly as they are reusing something that used to be thrown away. The product is also all-natural and biodegradable!

It may not be necessary, but no, the placenta is not just naturally just 'discarded'.

Naturally, the mother sheep would eat the placenta - partly for nutrients and partly to leave no evidence for predators that there is a weak, helpless newborn nearby. They are not re-using a waste product, but rather taking something that would be normally used in a different way.

Now, unless there are far greater problems here and the sheep are malnourished (unlikely), then there's no real harm done by taking the placenta. However, it is a lie to claim that it would otherwise be a waste product.