PDA

View Full Version : Hair Crisis help needed ASP!!!

Hollyfire3
December 6th, 2011, 03:09 PM
So, i normally have ok hair by my standards. I mean, my hair frizzes easily due to curls and is hard to deal with some days because of the thickness. At least, this is normally what happens. I don't know what i have done but,( maybe you saw my thread on protein overload) my hair seems permanetly screwed. My usually big hair has gone flat, my curls are no where to be found and my hair feels far too thin! Now, this has been going on, on and off, for months. I am seriously done with the games i have to play. One day, my hair is thick, lush and curly perfection then, after the next wash, boom, wieghted down, goopy, no curls and thinner (to me)I have not lost any of my thickness on good hair days so i know i have not shed. I have tried many products to get my hair back and nearly none are succesful and if they are, they work once then just stop. I think some sort of ph level thing is wrong with my hair, some serious inbalance of more than just moisture or protein has occured. I really can't take it anymore. The symtoms are: flat, lifeless, strange feeling hair that will not curl or respond correctly to any product, feels over washed one day, then built up the next (my stylist said my hair does not need clarifying) thin (like i said, thin to me, which is probably average to some) hair some days and thick, curly hair maybe once a month. This is a horrible cycle. All ideas welcome, anything will help. I just want this problem fixed, for good. Oh and if it helps, i have BSL hair that i just got 2 inches or so cut off of (it was a bit past BSL before the cut) i color my hair about 2 shades darker (it is naturally medium brown) and i blow fried my hair basically all summer (maybe half the summer or less?) but have since given up almost all heat styling. I tried using SLS free shampoo and hated it. I am going to use biolage color care and see if that works. Would any at home treatment help? (eggs and conditioner etc.?) I also want any treatments to be safe for colored hair. I own many hair products so if you recomend something, please tell me a product like it because i don't want to buy anything else really.

Hollyfire3
December 6th, 2011, 03:39 PM
Help? Please? Anyone. . .

Hollyfire3
December 6th, 2011, 03:54 PM
Please help me people! I know someone has a magic solution!

furnival
December 6th, 2011, 03:57 PM
If it's feeling weird after washing, you may be using something that's building up on your hair. I'd clarify with sulphate shampoo and use no conditioner, let it dry naturally and see how it behaves then. If it's still weird, at least you know you don't need to clarify... :)

Hollyfire3
December 6th, 2011, 04:00 PM
If it's feeling weird after washing, you may be using something that's building up on your hair. I'd clarify with sulphate shampoo and use no conditioner, let it dry naturally and see how it behaves then. If it's still weird, at least you know you don't need to clarify... :)

No conditioner? Wouldnt it frizz (oh what i wouldnt do to see some good o'l frizz and volume i used to flat iron the crap out of to fool myself into thinking it was gone!) and umm be damaged and stuff? Oh and if i use a supposedly color safe sulphate shampoo, will my color pretty much stay even without conditioner? I might just try that. . .thanks!

BabyRay33
December 6th, 2011, 04:03 PM
If you clarify, you might be able to assess what's happening better. So wash it, and then put nothing on it and let it dry. There is an article about diagnosing hair problems, but I would err on the side of moisture being the missing ingredient.

Wash it and let it dry with no conditioner and see how it feels...better?
Worse?

Snappy?
Stretchy?
Let us know!

Calaelen
December 6th, 2011, 04:04 PM
I'd try using whatever shampoo you like, and then rinsing with an apple cider vinegar rinse, white works too, so you can use that if you don't have ACV on hand, then let air dry. No conditioner this time, the ACV will help restore your hair's pH, and likely leave it soft, shiny, and happy. Shampoos tend to be quite alkaline, and neutralizing this with a acid such as vinegar is a great way to get happy hair,

I usually mix my rinse about 2 tbsp vinegar in a large yogurt sized container full of water and use about half rub it through my hair, refill the container diluting the vionegar even more pour the whole thing over my head getting it all completely saturated, then rinse like crazy with water as cool as you can stand it. Using this method, I only have to condition my hair maybe 4 times a year...

Hollyfire3
December 6th, 2011, 04:06 PM
If you clarify, you might be able to assess what's happening better. So wash it, and then put nothing on it and let it dry. There is an article about diagnosing hair problems, but I would err on the side of moisture being the missing ingredient.

Wash it and let it dry with no conditioner and see how it feels...better?
Worse?

Snappy?
Stretchy?
Let us know!

I'm just worried about my color. . . i have never not used conditioner. And what sort of shampoo should i use? I don't have any clarifying shampoos for say. Can i use the biolage color safe stuff? I also have nexxus moisture and quantum brown and umm some pantente curl, and about a billion others so just name a type, moistire, volume, color safe etc.

furnival
December 6th, 2011, 04:07 PM
It won't damage your hair, it's just a way of diagnosing what's wrong. Clarifying will strip your hair of any build-up, so you can work out if that's what's causing the problem. I doubt it'll wreck your colour... What kind of hair dye did you use?

Hollyfire3
December 6th, 2011, 04:07 PM
I'd try using whatever shampoo you like, and then rinsing with a apple cider vinegar rinse, white works too, so you can use that if you don't have ACV on hand, then let air dry. no conditioner this time, the ACV will help restore your hair's pH, and likely leave it soft, shiny, and happy.

I usually mix my rinse about 2 tbsp vinegar in a large yogurt sized container full of water and use about half rub it through my hair, refill the container diluting the vionegar even more pour the whole thing over my head getting it all completely saturated, then rinse like crazy with water as cool as you can stand it.

does the vinigar seal in color?

Hollyfire3
December 6th, 2011, 04:08 PM
It won't damage your hair, it's just a way of diagnosing what's wrong. Clarifying will strip your hair of any build-up, so you can work out if that's what's causing the problem. I doubt it'll wreck your colour... What kind of hair dye did you use?

i got it dyed at a salon about a week ago. i tried SLS free shampoo in an effort to preserve the color but, don't think it was helping my wierd situation. Does the shampoo have to be clarifying specifically? Or can it just be any sulphate shampoo?

furnival
December 6th, 2011, 04:13 PM
i got it dyed at a salon about a week ago. i tried SLS free shampoo in an effort to preserve the color but, don't think it was helping my wierd situation. Does the shampoo have to be clarifying specifically? Or can it just be any sulphate shampoo?

I just use any cone- free sulphate shampoo... :o

Hollyfire3
December 6th, 2011, 04:16 PM
I just use any cone- free sulphate shampoo... :o

Thanks, um i'm gonna see if any of my shampoos are cone free. . . (goes throguh the inventory) i MUST have one! Oh, do you think the vinegar rinse is a good idea? As long as white vinegar doesnt lighten hair. . . sorry to pound you with questions this is just a very tough problem and i have yet to find a lasting solution.

furnival
December 6th, 2011, 04:24 PM

Hmmm... Could have sworn I just replied to this, and it disappeared! Must be going bonkers. I just use any cone-free sulphate shampoo. :o ETA: Bloomin' phone! I knew summat went wrong...

julliams
December 6th, 2011, 04:25 PM
I have no idea what vinegar will do to colour since I don't colour my hair but....

You need to go get a proper clarifying shampoo (I use Pantene - the only Pantene product I will use) and then finish with 1 - 2 tablespoons of ACV (Apple Cider Vinegar) in 1 litre of water. Just pour it over your hair and leave it for about 2 minutes or so. Then rinse it out under your shower water.

Put your hair up in a towel to get rid of most of the water, then just take it down and let it air dry.

I only have to use coney products twice in a row and my hair goes exactly as you describe. The only thing that gets it out for me is the above. After you have done this, you can just use your normal conditioners and when you get build up again, just repeat the clarifying shampoo/ACV rinse. Best of luck and let us know how it goes.

Hollyfire3
December 6th, 2011, 04:30 PM
I have no idea what vinegar will do to colour since I don't colour my hair but....

You need to go get a proper clarifying shampoo (I use Pantene - the only Pantene product I will use) and then finish with 1 - 2 tablespoons of ACV (Apple Cider Vinegar) in 1 litre of water. Just pour it over your hair and leave it for about 2 minutes or so. Then rinse it out under your shower water.

Put your hair up in a towel to get rid of most of the water, then just take it down and let it air dry.

I only have to use coney products twice in a row and my hair goes exactly as you describe. The only thing that gets it out for me is the above. After you have done this, you can just use your normal conditioners and when you get build up again, just repeat the clarifying shampoo/ACV rinse. Best of luck and let us know how it goes.

Oh wow! Your hair is soo beautiful! I can't see it looking anything close to what i described! I really didn't think my thick hair would suddenly go thin without warning but, i now know the cause! Thanks to everyone who is repling! I will try this and see how it goes. I think i will have to use white vinegar because we do not have ACV. Unless i ask the neighbor. . . if it really works, i will be back soon, praising and worshiping you guys because i have literally lost sleep over this. I know, people tell me, its just hair and it doesnt look thin or like there is something wrong but, there is something wrong, it is not supposed to look even near thin and it is so much more than just hair to me! Now, to take a show, and try this out!

Hollyfire3
December 6th, 2011, 04:31 PM
Hmmm... Could have sworn I just replied to this, and it disappeared! Must be going bonkers. I just use any cone-free sulphate shampoo. :o ETA: Bloomin' phone! I knew summat went wrong...

wierd, you did reply to this and i can still see it on my computer, it didnt dissapear. Wonky phone of yours lol its ok now.

kittymallow
December 6th, 2011, 04:35 PM
I dont have curls, but curls usally need moisture to be curly. How often do you wash?? Have you tried smt treatment?? Or a vinegar rince.! I would have done that:) maybe do a baking soda wash and vinegar rince after:) hope you find something that helps :)

Hollyfire3
December 6th, 2011, 04:39 PM
I dont have curls, but curls usally need moisture to be curly. How often do you wash?? Have you tried smt treatment?? Or a vinegar rince.! I would have done that:) maybe do a baking soda wash and vinegar rince after:) hope you find something that helps :)

I'm gonna try the vigegar rinse tonight but i think the baking soda will be too harsh on my poor hair. I was varying amounts anywhere from once every 4 days to once a night lately (i know bad, but i am desperate to fix this!)

julliams
December 6th, 2011, 04:39 PM
Oh wow! Your hair is soo beautiful! I can't see it looking anything close to what i described! I really didn't think my thick hair would suddenly go thin without warning but, i now know the cause!

Thanks and yes, I don't experience thinning but the waxiness and lack or curl is totally something I experience.

Here is my hair airdried on a normal day using cone-free products http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6232/6305789822_5f7a7700ce.jpg

Here it is airdried after using a heavily coney product http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7142/6440418957_be8dab977d.jpg And then how it looked the next day when my hair literally went straight http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7162/6443720745_69097af352.jpg

And finally, how it looks when I clarify and ACV rinse http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6117/6342913306_75d302c791.jpg

You can definitely see a difference.

coffinhert
December 6th, 2011, 05:26 PM
Take a deep breath. Breathe.

You said you are trying lots of things. I think you need to find one routine that works and stick with it.

I dyed my hair and it changed the texture and made it unmanageable, but I hendigoed it, do a vinegar rinse every shower, and use coconut oil as a leave-in conditioner, distributed with a boar bristle brush on wet hairafter every wash and now it's better.

I have about 6 inches of roots now that have never been dyed, and my roots are always having a perfect hair day even on some days when the dyed part is freaking out.

I hate to knock your current routine but dying my own hair with chemicals always wrecked it, and I tried everything from herbal grocery store box, to expensive salon dye. Have you considered switching to hendigo? It'll be a warm/red tone dark brown but it'll most likely improve your texture.

Edited to add:
One thing dying my hair definitely did was wreck my ringlets. It is less curly now, or the curls frizz instead of looking nice. And I stay far away from cones. Shampoo also made my hair much straighter than it is, with conditioner only it is wavier. Now that I have roots growing out, my roots are noticeably in happy wave pattern whiel the dyed part below does not continue the pattern.

Hollyfire3
December 6th, 2011, 05:45 PM
Thanks and yes, I don't experience thinning but the waxiness and lack or curl is totally something I experience.

Here is my hair airdried on a normal day using cone-free products http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6232/6305789822_5f7a7700ce.jpg

Here it is airdried after using a heavily coney product http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7142/6440418957_be8dab977d.jpg And then how it looked the next day when my hair literally went straight http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7162/6443720745_69097af352.jpg

And finally, how it looks when I clarify and ACV rinse http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6117/6342913306_75d302c791.jpg

You can definitely see a difference.

my hair is a bit curlier and poofier than yours, but the thickness is the same(what is your ponytail circumrance?). i don't think my hair got thinner, it is just over prossesed (between the different products and buildup) and compacted and just ickyier than usual. I guess thinner isn't really the right word, it was just my way of explaining how frustrating it is. i think i have let the buildup go much longer than you would ever dream of, so this ickiness is the result. I will post later how this turned out! Wish me luck!

Hollyfire3
December 6th, 2011, 05:53 PM
Take a deep breath. Breathe.

You said you are trying lots of things. I think you need to find one routine that works and stick with it.

I dyed my hair and it changed the texture and made it unmanageable, but I hendigoed it, do a vinegar rinse every shower, and use coconut oil as a leave-in conditioner, distributed with a boar bristle brush on wet hairafter every wash and now it's better.

I have about 6 inches of roots now that have never been dyed, and my roots are always having a perfect hair day even on some days when the dyed part is freaking out.

I hate to knock your current routine but dying my own hair with chemicals always wrecked it, and I tried everything from herbal grocery store box, to expensive salon dye. Have you considered switching to hendigo? It'll be a warm/red tone dark brown but it'll most likely improve your texture.

Edited to add:
One thing dying my hair definitely did was wreck my ringlets. It is less curly now, or the curls frizz instead of looking nice. And I stay far away from cones. Shampoo also made my hair much straighter than it is, with conditioner only it is wavier. Now that I have roots growing out, my roots are noticeably in happy wave pattern whiel the dyed part below does not continue the pattern.

Don't mind knocking my hair routine, i know dyeing is very bad for it. I only do it because i am in love with the color i get. I don't think it is the dye that is effecting the curls because 1. my stylist said this is never possible 2. i have had some days where my hair is curlier than normal. I think some of the lose of curl is due to the heaviness of my hair growing out (even though i have layers, it is still heavy). The conditioner only thing i have yet to mast and might try it when i get time. Maybe the hendigo messes with the curls also? I have read places that henna stretches out curls, the real reason i am scared to use it, (not to mention the indigo fading faster than the henna and ending up with red hair) but, if i ever do go that route, that dark, warm chestnut color is the color i dye my hair anyways so i might be happy with hendigo. I don't think i would use coconut oil because my hair doesnt like it very much (then again, coconut products are not the same as coconut oil is.) I hope the vinegar rinse works for me and thanks for the tips, i might just try them and get back to you.

metricfuture
December 6th, 2011, 05:58 PM
Has the humidity level been changing frequently where you live? I know it effects my hair in weird ways sometimes.

Hollyfire3
December 6th, 2011, 06:01 PM
the humidity level has not changed where i live. Besides, if i knew how to post pics, i would show that my hair would not chnage that much without some serious problems. Thanks though, all i know is summer humidity+my hair=huge poofy problem

coffinhert
December 6th, 2011, 06:07 PM
Oh it is true that henna will make your curls loosen, I forgot to mention that. Hmm. If you want to keep using the chem dye, I would recommend starting using coconut oil as your leave-in conditioner. The best way to distribute it is either rub it between your palms then run your hands through your hair, or brush it in with the boar bristle brush.

ktani
December 6th, 2011, 06:08 PM
Your description of flat, thin looking hair does sound like build-up.

A clarifying shampoo should not strip your hair colour, if it was done right and you had it professionally done.

You have been doing a lot to your hair and that weighs it down, as most products, even most protein ones work on the hair surface and coat the hair.

You can simply use a sulfate shampooo but that will not solve the problem right away.

A clarifying shampoo is stronger to get through the build-up residue and you most certainly can and it is recommended to, condition your hair afterward for general clarifying, when one uses conventional products.

ETA: P&G on hair color fading, http://www.pgbeautygroomingscience.com/hair-color-explored.html
"Shampoos do not strip color. In fact, data shows that water alone is responsible"

Hollyfire3
December 6th, 2011, 06:27 PM
Your description of flat, thin looking hair does sound like build-up.

A clarifying shampoo should not strip your hair colour, if it was done right and you had it professionally done.

You have been doing a lot to your hair and that weighs it down, as most products, even most protein ones work on the hair surface and coat the hair.

You can simply use a sulfate shampooo but that will not solve the problem right away.

A clarifying shampoo is stronger to get through the build-up residue and you most certainly can and it is recommended to, condition your hair afterward for general clarifying, when one uses conventional products.

ETA: P&G on hair color fading, http://www.pgbeautygroomingscience.com/hair-color-explored.html
"Shampoos do not strip color. In fact, data shows that water alone is responsible"

I am pretty sure it is build up, i just used a vinegar rinse and my hair felt better almost instantly when wet, now to see what happens when dry. . . .

ktani
December 6th, 2011, 06:38 PM
I am pretty sure it is build up, i just used a vinegar rinse and my hair felt better almost instantly when wet, now to see what happens when dry. . . .

Vinegar does not clarify product build-up - it will remove mineral build-up from water and soap scum.

Hollyfire3
December 6th, 2011, 06:40 PM
Vinegar does not clarify product build-up - it will remove mineral build-up from water and soap scum.

It doesnt? I always thought it did.. . well i don't know how to get all this product out then.

ktani
December 6th, 2011, 06:45 PM
It doesnt? I always thought it did.. . well i don't know how to get all this product out then.

You said that your stylist says that your hair does not need clarifying. You can go back to the salon and consult with a colorist and see what is recommended. They may have something they can use to help you.

Hair colour usually does not take evenly or well over a lot of residue. A consultation should be free and a professional assessment and possible treatment at the salon may be preferable to trying do-it-your-self applications not based on actually seeing and assessing your hair, and any possible damage that may contribute to a problem, by your trying multiple treatments or clarifying, on your own.

Hollyfire3
December 6th, 2011, 06:54 PM
You said that your stylist says that your hair does not need clarifying. You can go back to the salon and consult with a colorist and see what is recommended. They may have something they can use to help you.

Hair colour usually does not take evenly or well over a lot of residue. A consultation should be free and a professional assessment and possible treatment at the salon may be preferable to trying do-it-your-self applications not based on actually seeing and assessing your hair, and any possible damage that may contribute to a problem, by your trying multiple treatments or clarifying, on your own.

Well, my haircolor took evenly so maybe buildup isn't the problem. I'm not sure what it is then. A vinegar rinse won't hurt though right, better not cause i just did one. I would not even attempt trying to clarify my hair myself for fear of damaging it. The ACV rinsed hair is drying now, and the ends already feel better. Wonder why it changed it?

Martukita
December 6th, 2011, 06:58 PM
I definitely think you should clarify. Even if that strips your colour a bit, it won't be that much, and you'll notice the difference from day one!. Try cone-free conditioners and products also. :)

ktani
December 6th, 2011, 06:59 PM
Well, my haircolor took evenly so maybe buildup isn't the problem. I'm not sure what it is then. A vinegar rinse won't hurt though right, better not cause i just did one. I would not even attempt trying to clarify my hair myself for fear of damaging it. The ACV rinsed hair is drying now, and the ends already feel better. Wonder why it changed it?

Vinegar should not damage hair if it is well diluted. Apple cider vinegar can add unwanted red tones to hair and is no better in spite of the hype, than white vinegar. Vinegar is about acetic acid, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=184.

It can help remove mineral deposits from hard water.

I would see a colorist, since your main concern, aside from the frustration of your hair not behaving or having proper curl formation, is preserving the colour.

Hollyfire3
December 6th, 2011, 07:01 PM
Vinegar should not damage hair if it is well diluted. Apple cider vinegar can add unwanted red tones to hair and is no better in spite of the hype, than white vinegar. Vinegar is about acetic acid.

It can help remove mineral deposits from hard water.

I would see a colorist, since your main concern, aside from the frustration of your hair not behaving or having proper curl formation, is preserving the colour.

I saw a colorist and she said that my hair was alright. I was having a good hair day then. I think the vinegar did help so i don't know what was wrong.

Hollyfire3
December 6th, 2011, 07:02 PM
I definitely think you should clarify. Even if that strips your colour a bit, it won't be that much, and you'll notice the difference from day one!. Try cone-free conditioners and products also. :)

I will look into getting a regular clarifying conditioner. Also, it is so hard to find cone free anything. I guess i just don't know all the words for "cone". One day though, i will fix all of this and come telling you guys you are amazing. Yeah, sorry i meant califying shampoo. Wrong word sorry.

Martukita
December 6th, 2011, 07:09 PM
I will look into getting a regular clarifying conditioner. Also, it is so hard to find cone free anything. I guess i just don't know all the words for "cone". One day though, i will fix all of this and come telling you guys you are amazing.

I meant a clarifying shampoo, not conditioner :) I use Pantene Clarifying Shampoo.

You have got some threads about cone free products, specially conditioners. I don't know where are you from, but as far as I know, people in US talk about Suave and Alberto VO5 conditioners as the best value brands for cone free conditioners. I use Lush American Cream and Garnier Triple Nutrition, which don't have cones neither. Hope that helps. :flower:

ktani
December 6th, 2011, 07:10 PM
I saw a colorist and she said that my hair was alright. I was having a good hair day then. I think the vinegar did help so i don't know what was wrong.

You may simply have very hard water and the minerals are building up on your hair. Conditioners do not clarify in spite of the names - that is marketing.

Clarify is used to mean chelate and chelating shampoos very rarely can also be clarifying. You need to be able to decipher the ingredients and it can all be very confusing.

If the vinegar helped, see how your hair reacts over the next wash or too before doing anything else, that may not be necessary. If you have not clarified your hair in a while you may need to do that but not necessarily now.

ETA: Try one thing at a time. You can always clarify your hair next.