PDA

View Full Version : How much time is required to comb your hair?

Olga-Freya
December 6th, 2011, 01:11 AM
How much time is required to comb your hair? I especially interested in answers of those who already got past classic lenght.

My hair is about 45 inches long and I can to comb it in the morning in four minutes, but only if I disentangled it properly the last evening. At evenings (or just when I have enough time) I used comb it about a 30-40 minutes.

Amber_Maiden
December 6th, 2011, 06:35 AM
I'm at 32in. Almost at hip.

From the way people talk around here, the time it takes to comb hair seem to have less to do with length and more to do with thickness. It used to take me 45min to 80min to comb my hair out because of how thick it is. Now I've switched my comb for a tangle teezer on average it takes about 20min to comb it out.

PaganPriestess
December 6th, 2011, 06:48 AM
It really only takes me a few minutes to brush my waist-length hair if I'm in a rush. But most of the time I take my time & enjoy it, and brush it for far longer than really needed just because I like to do so.

JuliaDancer
December 6th, 2011, 07:04 AM
I usually keep my hair up, so it doesn't usually get tangled, and I braid it at night, so except the fuzzies around my head, it doesn't really get tangled then either. I comb for a few minutes and use my BBB for maybe another two minutes. However, when I was in Cape Cod this summer, it was a particularly windy day at the beach, and I left my hair down ALL DAY without detangling, and it took me about 45 minutes to detangle that evening. Ugh...

Chromis
December 6th, 2011, 08:24 AM
It only takes me a few minutes even at knee length. I braid at night and wear my hair up during the day so it doesn't have a chance to get tangled very often.

Madora
December 6th, 2011, 08:35 AM
Takes 2 minutes with my 42 inch hair.

Calaelen
February 29th, 2012, 05:56 PM
My hair is 44 inches, which on me is upper thigh length. (using the LHC measuring method) However, it is very thick, and takes at least 20 minutes to comb it all out, usually way longer. I keep it up almost all the time now, and only comb it when it is very tangled, or before washes.

sunshine-locks
February 29th, 2012, 11:36 PM
My hair is around chin length and it takes about 10 seconds :P

Darkessa
February 29th, 2012, 11:44 PM
I have about 29inch long hair, just below BSL.
With my layers its actually incredibly easy to detangle, it usually takes me around a minute with a wide tooth comb or my tangle teezer.
If I have hopped around in the wind or gone swimming it may be different though.

kidari
February 29th, 2012, 11:59 PM
I have lots of layers, my hair is not really thick, and it's relatively straight and never frizzes. Even if I wear it down all day and I'm active, it combs out really fast. I brush it through with some leave-in conditioner it takes 30 seconds I'm guessing. After washing, I get the most tangles if I washed upside-down with a shower head attachment. Combing it out with leave-in conditioner takes probably about a minute since I'm more careful when my hair is wet.

Kira94
March 1st, 2012, 12:04 AM
I don't know, 15-20 seconds? I'll have to time it next time. :)
Oh, and my hair is BSL.

Tisiloves
March 1st, 2012, 12:13 AM
30secs, as long as I remembered to oil after showering.

Loreley
March 1st, 2012, 12:26 AM
It takes about 1-3 minutes. I wear it up during the day and in a braid or a bun while sleeping so it doesn't get too tangly.

teal
March 1st, 2012, 12:29 AM
It used to take a good 15 minutes or more, and my hair is around hip length. Then I discovered a comb like this (http://www.swimmershop.com/images/DETANGLING-COMB.jpg) and now I can do it in 5, which I think is fantastic. Sometimes I take my time about it, though, because after the tangles and mats are out the process becomes enjoyable.

dwell_in_safety
March 1st, 2012, 04:36 PM
If I take care to be gentle, it takes roughly 15-20 minutes.

spidermom
March 1st, 2012, 04:47 PM
Maybe 20 minutes on a bad day.

blondie9912
March 1st, 2012, 05:58 PM
My hair is lightly layered and quite fine and soft, takes about... 30 seconds? But I have lost a lot of volume last year so that may be why

Diamond.Eyes
March 1st, 2012, 06:27 PM
I recently stopped using my tangle teezer because I found something less harsh on my hair. When I used my tangle teezer it took about 3 minutes, with my new brush it takes about 5-6. I don't mind spening more time detnagling/combing out my hair, just as long as no breakage is involved :D.

melusine963
March 2nd, 2012, 12:31 PM
I actually use a brush, but I only use it once a day when I take my braid out in the morning and make a cinnabun for the day. Since it's never loose it doesn't have much chance to tangle and brushing takes 30 seconds to a minute tops. If it's more troublesome than that I know I've done something to make it angry.

Edited to add that my hair is just past hip length.

sfgirl
March 2nd, 2012, 01:47 PM
10- 15 minutes if I slept without a braid or it's a windy day.
If not, less than 5. :)

julya
March 3rd, 2012, 08:35 PM
Mine is past knee, and it takes about 30 or more minutes to detangle. I think it is because my hair is fine.

Kayla Nyx
March 3rd, 2012, 11:02 PM
About a minute. When it was bsl. Now it's shoulder and takes 3o seconds. Will brush it tho for 4 minutes when I have the time. It feels nice.

Lightningfury
March 3rd, 2012, 11:23 PM
I actually downloaded a stopwatch app on my phone and timed myself on this just this morning.

From fairly tangled and littered with small knots it took me 9 minutes to dentangle one side completely. and 7 minutes for the other side. I think the less time on the other side comes from getting in a hair detangling groove.

My hair is a few inches above classic at the moment.

diamantenstaub
March 5th, 2012, 02:40 PM
With the tangle teezer: 5 minutes.
Without the tangle teezer - using a comb f.e.x.: 45 minutes and even longer

Even if my hair is really short, due to the curls I have lots of little knots and baaaah :(

Savahead
March 5th, 2012, 02:50 PM
Only a minute or two.

pepperminttea
March 6th, 2012, 04:34 PM
40"/BCL. If I've been wearing it up, then it'll take me a few minutes; maybe five. If I've been wearing it down? Depending on for how long and in what conditions; twenty minutes, sometimes longer. On one occasion when I was completely 'cone-free and had worn my hair down when I was out all night (dancing, wind, the lot), it took me an hour.

I normally detangle in front of a DVD, so it's no trouble. :) Quite relaxing really.

ranaenelcomal
March 8th, 2012, 12:06 PM
I'm at APL. I'd say it takes me 7-10 minutes to brush all the knots out in the evening after a day of tangling.

Nessie_
March 8th, 2012, 12:24 PM
Wow, some of you comb for a very long time! It only takes me about two minutes each day, but then I don't comb but brush instead :). Maybe I should take more time to brush it tough when I'm not in a hurry.

Madora
March 8th, 2012, 03:41 PM
Ladies, if you love your hair, use a comb to detangle your hair first. Using a brush to detangle knotted hair is not hair friendly.

xXfaitheyx
March 8th, 2012, 08:09 PM
not a whole lot. 15 seconds??? lol

Venefica
March 9th, 2012, 02:51 AM
If it is kept in buns or braids at all times then I use perhaps fifteen minutes a day and perhaps 30 to 40 minutes after a wash, depending on what sort of brush I use. If the hair get any significant tangling however I can spend hours on end to brush it.

AcornMystic
March 9th, 2012, 04:07 AM
Hmm.. I wear my hair up in a pony for work then take it down in the evening. I usually just run my fingers through my hair a few times and try not to mess around with it too much. It really doesn't tangle that much at this point. I imagine that will change as I get farther into the no-trims challenge for this year and my ends attempt to cling to each other.

On my off-days I tend to wear it down. I usually run my fingers through my hair throughout the day actually. so it really never gets much of a chance to tangle. I find it so relaxing to do so and I guess my hands are just drawn to my hair. :o

When I do take a wide-tooth comb to it though I like to go slowly, even though I only have shoulder length hair, and only the back extends down that far (the sides are a couple inches shorter). I like to take about 5 minutes just running the comb through my hair and, alternating comb and fingers to feel my hair glide through them. It'll be interesting to see how long I take when it gets longer. I do not plan on making my combing ritual a fast one, because it will be very much that, a ritual. Something I hope to include my husband into often.:)

KwaveT
March 9th, 2012, 12:34 PM
I detangle slowly and gently. I follow by deshedding and brushing my hair how I want it to lay. It takes me about ten minutes on my shoulder length hair.

nobeltonya
March 9th, 2012, 01:25 PM
7-10 minutes, after washing and conditioning, while still fairly wet. About the same after oiling as well.. I don't even attempt to comb it dry..

Venefica
March 10th, 2012, 01:10 AM
I usually brush my hair when damp, I have found that to be the best time for me, if I wait until it is completely dry it tangles allot more than if I do it when damp. I do not brush completely wet hair however.

annamoonfairy
March 10th, 2012, 01:12 AM
I take my time and it takes about 5 min if already detangled and not wet.

CariadA
March 10th, 2012, 01:19 AM
I'm at 32in. Almost at hip.

From the way people talk around here, the time it takes to comb hair seem to have less to do with length and more to do with thickness. It used to take me 45min to 80min to comb my hair out because of how thick it is. Now I've switched my comb for a tangle teezer on average it takes about 20min to comb it out.

I also think thickness has a lot to do with it. I detangle very carefully, using both a wide tooth comb and my fingers, and it never takes me more than a minute. It's probably usually under 30 seconds, actually. I have fine, thin hair. I think my hair being straight may also cut down on detangling time.

Venefica
March 11th, 2012, 04:19 AM
Thickness have everything to do with how long hair takes to comb, well that, length and texture. The more hair the more work generally and if the hair is curly as well it will take even longer. It is work I do gladly though. :D

kionkichin
March 12th, 2012, 12:20 PM
My hair is almost waist length, if it's really tangled it takes about 10 minutes, if it's ok i just comb it in less than a minute.

BBdck1
March 13th, 2012, 03:51 AM
It takes me less than 1 min to comb/brush my hair. A little longer if it's extra windy out since my hair is down most of the time.

Neneka
March 13th, 2012, 04:14 AM
10-30 seconds. :D When it was BSL it propably took 30-60 seconds. My hair doesn't really tangle that much.

Johanna
March 14th, 2012, 04:43 AM
Mine is at tbl and it's quite tangly, so it would probably take me a couple of minutes to de-tangle if its been in a braid the night before. Otherwise, if it's really knotty then it might take me 10 minutes.
I'll be so happy ones my chemical damage is gone, my virgin hair is so slippy and non-tangly.

RiotPrrl
March 14th, 2012, 07:16 AM
My hair is only a bit below my collar bone, so not very long. If it's tangled then maybe a minute or two, but usually it takes less than a minute.

Corylina
March 14th, 2012, 12:02 PM
Mine is almost 40" long, thick, and does not tangle a lot, almost never actually, even if I wear it down all the day long.
I brush for roughly 1 minute in the morning after having undone my braid, and comb it in the evening for maybe 4-5 minutes maximum before doing my braid for the night ;)

Tota
March 14th, 2012, 12:09 PM
My hair is 23" and it tangles like crazy. With TT it takes less than a minute and with a comb 10 minutes ... That's why my comb is forgotten and dusty somewhere in the back of my hair stuff closet.

Words
March 16th, 2012, 02:32 PM
My hair doesn't really tangle that much. Maybe one minute? :)

HappyHair87
March 18th, 2012, 11:46 AM
It takes me about 10-15 minutes to detangle my hair in the shower....but i have to put it in 4 sections (sometimes 6) and i work from there...makes it SO much easier.

Lisabunny
March 18th, 2012, 11:52 AM
Wide toothcomb 10 mins
Tangle Teaser 5 seconds

Kwantslonghair
April 13th, 2012, 02:16 PM
Less than a minute. Wet or dry. My hair rarely if ever tangles. It is almost bsl now. If I do get a snarl. It's in the same place in front. About 3 hairs

cfreya
April 14th, 2012, 08:08 AM
About a minute probably even though it is tangly I can detangle quickly

BatBeteNoire
April 14th, 2012, 10:58 PM
Seconds. It is uber short ... sadly.

Laylah
April 14th, 2012, 11:48 PM
I am totally envious of you guys that can comb your hair in 10 minutes :D
That's about how long it takes me to comb it if it's already been detangled and put up the whole day. If it's been down the whole day, it takes 25ish minutes. If I don't comb it for one day, it takes an hour. Right out of the shower, it takes 40 or 50 minutes. HOW do you guys comb so quickly?!

BrightEyes
April 14th, 2012, 11:50 PM
Less than a minute. One of the few advantages of having short hair:p

Majala
April 15th, 2012, 12:29 AM
Less than a minute - there's not that much hair to comb :(

luxepiggy
April 15th, 2012, 12:49 AM
Maybe 30 seconds? Although I'm not sure if it technically counts as "combing" since I use my fingers and not a comb. I also fingercomb for several minutes in the shower to distribute my conditioner through the length.

ladylowtide
April 15th, 2012, 01:19 AM
My hair is just above BSL and it takes approximately 5-10 minutes to comb it when it is tangly. If I fingercombed in the shower it takes seconds.

domisimone
July 19th, 2012, 11:22 AM
30 mins. My hair is at apl stretched, chin length curly, and very thick!

dawnss
July 22nd, 2012, 10:44 PM
It takes me at least 30 minutes (on a really good day). I have to start off with a really wide tooth comb, then use two regular wide tooth combs, a denman with wide teeth, and then finally a denman with smaller teeth. Usually I put my hair in six sections, but those sections have to be split up into two sometimes.

If I decide to apply oil as a pre poo to small sections then that usually takes about an hour and a half, but I like doing this because it is easier for me to wash, condition, and detangle.

What really sucks is that my hair is ear length when it shrinks up and dries and when I straighten it, it is between shoulder and apl.

ddiana1979
July 22nd, 2012, 10:55 PM
Geez. If it took me 45 minutes to comb my hair, I'd cut it to APL and forget it. Part of the reason I'm growing it is because I was sick & tired of styling short hair. I'm 1" away from HL, and it takes me less than 5 minutes, usually much less. I keep it up nearly all the time, or braided at night, so the only time I need to detangle it, per se, is when I get out of the shower. Even then, about 5 minutes.

Vanille_
July 22nd, 2012, 11:10 PM
Less than a minute - id say less than 30 second even.

Sarahlabyrinth
July 22nd, 2012, 11:18 PM
Less than a minute I'd say. But I mostly have it up so it doesn't tangle. If I wore it loose I would get heaps of tangles.

LadyMikaelson
July 24th, 2012, 12:22 AM
5 minutes on a tangle free day, 10 minutes if it's tangled, 15 minutes if I apply oil. :)

socks
July 24th, 2012, 02:02 AM
Thirty minutes to an hour. I only comb it out every other week or so, so it's actually not that bad.

bionicpaws
March 30th, 2022, 10:46 AM
10 minutes dry with a bit of added product like cream, leave in condtioner, oil or cones.. I am able to comb my hair while dry if I 1. use products 2. detangle with my hands BEFORE using a comb and 3. start from the ends of course!! And also keeping my hair in a protective hairstyle (braids) basically all the time so my hair barely has a chance to become tangled!! After a shower I leave my wet hair to dry in Loose braids because once it curls and dries it is such a pain to detangle (even if I detangle it beforehand while wet...).

I tend to not comb my hair when wet anymore (though a lot of curly haired people I know tend to prefer combing it when wet). (I do detangle with my hands while I have conditioner in my hair during showers). :)

cinamio
March 30th, 2022, 12:47 PM
If I'm using a boar bristle brush to brush it when dry, I usually need 5 mins. If I'm washing and detangling I need between 5 and 10 mins.

sapphire-o
March 31st, 2022, 03:00 AM
I would say under a minute with a wide toothed comb. My hair is slippery and TBL. It's mostly a ritual. :) If I didn't comb it nobody would notice. I shed all my hair in the shower, so there's no loose hair or tangles during other time. I didn't even know about detangling until my husband and second son grew their hair out. They have lovely soft curls (2c). Oh but there are always loose hair tangled in those curls and knots underneath. :o

alewyn
March 31st, 2022, 06:37 AM
I usually spend about five minutes gently finger detangling, and then another five going from tips to roots with my wide toothed wooden comb in sections. I only need to do that every 3-4 days, though, since I mostly wear my hair up. I never detangle wet hair unless I have it soaked in conditioner--my hair is really fragile when it's wet. If I ever have particularly bad tangles, I coat my fingers in jojoba oil before detangling and I find that really helps lubricate everything.

Joules
March 31st, 2022, 08:40 AM
Idk, like 20 seconds? I use so many conditioners that my hair pretty much detangles itself, I brush it simply to smooth it into a bun :shrug: (wearing it up all the time also helps it stay tangle-free)

KokoroDragon
March 31st, 2022, 09:01 AM
It depends. If I've been wearing it in a bun, less than 30 seconds. But most of the time I leave it in a braid for several days at a time (a bad habit I'm trying to break), and then my nape hairs get matted and it takes 5-10 minutes to detangle.

foreveryours
March 31st, 2022, 10:59 AM
I feel odd man out on this one. You all are so fast. I spend 20-30 minutes every morning on mine. That includes combing with wide and medium tooth combs trying not to get any "snaps" (I think it impossible to do as there always seem to be some no matter how slow or careful I am), undoing the occassional knot, braiding and putting it up for the day, and collecting all the sheds off the floor. Unless I'm in a hurry. Then it takes twice as long.

Finda
March 31st, 2022, 02:01 PM
It depends. If I've been wearing it in a bun, less than 30 seconds. But most of the time I leave it in a braid for several days at a time (a bad habit I'm trying to break), and then my nape hairs get matted and it takes 5-10 minutes to detangle.

The exact same with me, except that my nape tangles get super bad after one day already, so I have to brush daily.

Bri-Chan
March 31st, 2022, 03:07 PM
From 10 to 40 minutes with my tangle teezer (with a normal amount of tangles, around 20 minutes). Twice a week (before washing).
Years ago I used to brush it every morning and everynight, it took 10-15 minutes everytime.

Glitch
May 23rd, 2022, 08:11 PM
Just a few seconds, damp or dry. If I let my hair air dry as is, and it ends up in its natural wavy state, it'll take me like maybe 20-30 seconds. However, my waves (sadly) disappear over the days and it's back to just a few seconds.

GoatLady
October 14th, 2022, 09:43 AM
I am fortunate that my hair is not prone to tangles. I rarely get a knot. It only takes a couple of minutes for me to comb my hair in the mornings, after removing my sleep braids. Even after washing, my hair is not very tangled. I comb it before washing and then don't do ANY detangling until it is dry. I refuse to comb my hair when it's wet or has been heavily oiled.

tuanyiji
October 15th, 2022, 07:09 AM
TBL, less than a minute a day with fingercombing, scalp massage, and rebraiding before bed.
I have naturally straight hair and since my hair is always in a bun/braid, it doesn’t even get a chance to be tangled.

lapushka
October 15th, 2022, 07:37 AM
I detangle pre-wash (wash weekly) only and then post-wash when my hair comes out the towel pre-styling. I don't do *a thing* to it the rest of the week; yes, just let it hang, well, it's in an updo mostly. ;)

lapis_lazuli
October 19th, 2022, 07:40 PM
I detangle my hair every few days and only use my fingers. I spend about 5-10 minutes on it, and it's mostly just removing sheds that have accumulated over the past several days. Any day-to-day tangles I get are fairly easy to undo, but I also hardly give my hair any opportunity to knot given it's in a bun nearly 24/7.

Detangling after a full wash definitely takes longer, more like 20-30 minutes.