PDA

View Full Version : Tampon as bun-stuffer- funny Kotex ad

Miss Catrina
December 5th, 2011, 07:12 PM
Not really sure where to put this topic, but I got a kick out of this U by Kotex commercial and thought you all might too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Q4Ybch4-Xk

Hiding a tampon in an updo isn't the worst idea I've ever heard, as long as it was still in it's sanitary wrapper. :p

RapunzelKat
December 5th, 2011, 07:37 PM
Hahahaha! I would be worried about it falling out and giving the person behind me a big surprise :D

Kyla
December 5th, 2011, 07:39 PM
I would be worried about that too! :)

I thought it was funny, and I definitely don't think people should be embarrassed about their period (although over-sharing about it is another matter). But I don't understand the point of making it stylish...? They're just disposable products....

Miss Catrina
December 5th, 2011, 07:50 PM
I would be worried about that too! :)

I thought it was funny, and I definitely don't think people should be embarrassed about their period (although over-sharing about it is another matter). But I don't understand the point of making it stylish...? They're just disposable products....

Yeah, I love the underlying message to this ad campaign (that there's no reason to be ashamed of a period), but trying to make packaging "pretty" doesn't really help, I don't think. If only they made tampons without applicators, though, they'd have my support.

Lize
December 5th, 2011, 09:59 PM
Yeah, I love the underlying message to this ad campaign (that there's no reason to be ashamed of a period), but trying to make packaging "pretty" doesn't really help, I don't think. If only they made tampons without applicators, though, they'd have my support.

Funny, what I see is that the ad's message is that you're supposed to be ashamed but with their product you don't have to. Here it's very unusual to see tampons with applicators. They are only sold in drug stores, not in ordinary grocery stores. I don't see a reason to want to use an applicator unless in a place where you can't wash your hands. :confused:

lajsa
December 5th, 2011, 10:39 PM
Yeah, I've seen applicator tampons only once in my life, I think, and that was at a drug store. :p Weird. It's strange when they try to make period products all hip and trendy. It's a disposable product to stop you from looking like you're bleeding to death or something. I don't see the point. Of course you shouldn't be ashamed of having a period but it's not like I'm going to go around showing everyone my hip new tampons so why does it matter how the packaging looks?

Kyla
December 5th, 2011, 10:43 PM
Wow, I've actually never seen tampons without applicators!

I'm planning to switch to a menstrual cup anyway, though.

Miss Catrina
December 5th, 2011, 10:44 PM
That's so interesting. I never knew the U.S was at all unique for having so may brands with applicators. I only know of one brand that doesn't have them.

teela1978
December 5th, 2011, 11:22 PM
Oh good, a place to post this :) Apparently OB is sorry about taking themselves (apparently temporarily) off the market. Sadly it doesn't work perfectly with all names. If you have a common one it sings to you with your name, uncommon ones don't get their names sung though (e.g. teela, I did get to see it in rose petals though...)

http://www.obtampons.ca/apology

Personally I stick with my menstrual cup.

WaitingSoLong
December 6th, 2011, 05:08 AM
Ok, I would never put a tampon in my bun! LOL I do try to hide them, though.

jacqueline101
December 6th, 2011, 05:18 AM
I think the commercial is different and I could never see myself putting one in my hair. I think the most popular tampons are applicator ones in the u s.

jesis
December 6th, 2011, 06:10 AM
That's hilarious! Thanks for sharing.

Chamy
December 6th, 2011, 07:39 AM
It is very unusual with applicators in Sweden. But i think it is very convenient and hygienic.

But who needs trendy tampons anyway?

Amber_Maiden
December 6th, 2011, 07:55 AM
Hate these trendy tampons. I don't really care if mine come in colours and in a black box. My tampons don't need to be cool! haha.

I can see myself using them for nose bleeds, not for my hair.

Anje
December 6th, 2011, 08:16 AM
Right or wrong, I admit that I don't really like being seen grabbing pad or tampon from my bag in front of a bunch of male friends and stalking off to the bathroom with it in hand. I always did consider that to be one of the perks of the cup, though not nearly as important as simply not having to check to make sure I had sufficient quantities of products.

Applicators are pretty common in the US. My mom introduced me to that variety, thinking that they'd be easier to use for a newly menstruating girl than the applicatorless ones. (She always used applicator ones herself.) I eventually switched to OB a few years before I became a cupper, and decidedly prefer it.

Zesty
December 6th, 2011, 10:32 AM
You know what solves this problem? Menstrual cups. Lol. Mine is so discreet sometimes I even forget it's there. ;)