PDA

View Full Version : Happy hair = thicker hair!

Neorah
March 14th, 2008, 03:39 PM
Ok, I know that it's pretty much common sense that damaged hair is thinner, more fragile, etc. than healthy hair. And although I know that my hair is still recovering from being horribly maltreated for years, I guess I still hadn't processed how much it was affected... Until I took a look at one of my shed hairs where I could really see the difference between the older hair near the tip, and the newer, "virgin" hair near the root:

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk129/joliefolle/Hair/22508-2.jpg

I couldn't believe that there was so much of a difference! I can't wait until the entire length of my hair is as thick and happy as the top bits are. :grnbiggri

Sidenote: You know you're an LHC'er when taking a picture of a single shed hair seems like a perfectly reasonable thing to do... :roll:

ycelong
March 14th, 2008, 03:46 PM
Wow!!
That is quite a difference in thickness!! i had no idea your hair could be affected like that!!

Pyrola
March 14th, 2008, 03:48 PM
*smiles* Yepp, it's perfectly reasonable.

I've noticed that my virgin hair is thicker as well. Too bad the coloured part starts at my shoulders (my hair is somewhere between hip-lenght and classic).

Elfling
March 14th, 2008, 03:48 PM
that pic pleases my geeky side to no end. How cool!

BlndeInDisguise
March 14th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Wow, I'm going to have to compare my shed hairs. How exciting! :D

addikted
March 16th, 2008, 07:14 AM
Wow, I never realised there could be such a difference, and its visible to the naked eye as well.

eadwine
March 16th, 2008, 07:20 AM
Wow that is a difference! Good going :)

zift
March 16th, 2008, 07:41 AM
Wow what a difference ! I have hard time believing it's the same strand! Now you got me wondering,I should go check my strands too:D

Gumball
March 16th, 2008, 11:10 AM
That's pretty cool stuff! Happy hair indeed! It looks totally different on each half. Wow. You've been treating it very well!

Nicole Marie
March 16th, 2008, 11:14 AM
hahaha recently i totally discovered the same thing too!!! It in fact inspired me to make a big chop to remove most of the orangy/thinning/straw-like damaged part, and although i miss the length, the newly discovered thickness is amazing! I too am striving for a full head of waist-length virgin hair, it must be so lovely to have..*sigh*

savi
March 16th, 2008, 11:27 AM
Wow..
I'm comparing my shed strands now. :D I can see the difference.

rhubarbarin
March 16th, 2008, 12:15 PM
Wow Neorah your hair looks like mine. I have incredibly thin, fragile ends too. Sometimes the thin part starts abrubtly, sometimes it tapers graducally, but most of my longer hairs look like this.

Can't wait to chop them all off.:patrol:

squiggyflop
March 16th, 2008, 05:16 PM
my hairs look like that

MadPirateBippy
March 17th, 2008, 12:45 AM
Eeek, mine do something similar. Also, I just realized that my boyfriend has an awesome camera and now I CAN take pictures of my splits and individual hairs... my old camera just wouldn't do it.

Oh man, like I needed even MORE of an excuse to get psychotic over shed hair! Hehe! This is going to be great.

cicada
March 17th, 2008, 01:02 AM
I did compare the ends with its roots, and it's the same. Oh Well, I know that I wont have thicker hair ever. Fine hair is like silk, huh? ;)

Hypnotica
March 17th, 2008, 01:27 AM
That's funny, I compared a long, shed hair yesterday....and my hair is as thick on in the ends as it is root-wise. And I have mangled my hair with boith bleach and colour. :confused:

tiny_teesha
March 17th, 2008, 07:40 AM
Maybe the colour difference makes it look like that?
Mine is quite the opposite, the henna i put on my ends every month actually have thickened them up, even all the dyeing i did fluffed up the cuticle.

Neorah
March 17th, 2008, 12:11 PM
Wow, I should have looked at this sooner... Thanks to everyone who read and commented!

ycelong, I hadn't realized there could be such a difference, either!

Pyrola, I do feel lucky that my hair was pretty short for most of the time that I was frying it, so I don't have that much to cut off...

Elfling, I'm so glad I'm not the only geek that gets excited about this sort of thing. :p

BlndeInDisguise, obsessive little hair rituals are always exciting, aren't they?

addikted, I know! I was very surprised.

eadwine, thanks for the encouragement! :flowers:

zift, it is indeed the same strand of hair! Because I stopped coloring a while ago, most of it was thicker, and only the last 1/3 or so of it was thin. Not all of my hairs have such a drastic difference in thickness from root to tip, but quite a few of them do.

gumball, thank you! :flowers:

Nicole Marie, I can't wait until I can cut off those last five or six inches of damaged hair! I know it will make such a huge difference in how my hair feels...

savi, woo! Isn't it fun? I'm glad your hair is getting happier and thicker too.

rhubarbarin, the time for the big chop will come... :patrol:

squigglyflop, I'm glad I'm not the only one!

MadPirateBippy, aren't these random hair obsessions awesome?

cicada, at least you know that you don't have awful ravaged ends like I do!

Hypnotica, I guess your hair is hardier than mine? Also, I'd say that only about 1/3 of my shed hairs have such a drastic noticeable difference. Some have only a little, and some have none at all.

tiny teesha, the color difference probably helps, but there was definitely a significant difference in the actual thickness of the hair. I spent a long time examining it in the bathroom, with my SO looking at me like I was insane. :lol:

Pat
April 21st, 2008, 08:32 PM
I´m glad you noticed the difference ... I thought I was the only one! In my case, the hair strand is twice as thick at the root than it is at the tip ... of course, I promised I would never ever color it again.:D

WritingPrincess
April 21st, 2008, 09:35 PM
Wow. That's a big difference. Now I'm going to go pull out a hair and take a picture of it. :D

birdiefu
April 21st, 2008, 10:09 PM
Wow, what a difference! I was bored last night and examining a shed hair and ended up comparing both ends. One was a tad bit thicker then the other and I assumed that was the stronger root end. Until I looked at the tips and the root end was the thinner one! I also have a ton of henna applications over my length- which I assume gave the thickness, but have slacked off with new growth. Maybe I need to step that up again...

zelah
April 21st, 2008, 10:14 PM
That's so interesting! I decided to check my own out (why is it there are always hairs everywhere until you need one?) and so far haven't noticed a difference. I'm still rather new to this though. Good job on the new thickness!