PDA

View Full Version : Growth for toddler hair

scotishlass
December 5th, 2011, 08:40 AM
Hello everyone im not sure if this the correct board to ask this,I hope someone can advise,

My daughter is 21 months, and the hair on the top of her head is very very fine & there is little of it,
its also the same at her temples,
the hair at the back however grows.. but its very straight and fine it sticks out at right angles lol

I admit to cutting the back shorter so that it was less mullet more than once :( as she has so little at the top& nothing at the temples it looks really strange, if i hadnt cut the hair at the back it would be half way down her back,

I know its cosmetic & i feel almost ashamed to even say it, is there anyway i can help promote the growth at the top?
a non chemical option? as shes only little i dont want to put anything on her that could be bad for her
shes mistaken for a boy often i have tried putting a little clip in, but she pulls it right out
even family say how strange it looks,
I feel terrible even asking but her dad & I have so much thick black hair we thought she'd be like us, but its very fair & wispy xx

Madora
December 5th, 2011, 08:46 AM
Perhaps very gentle scalp massage might help. I wouldn't worry too much about the sparsity of hair since it will probably be replaced again as she grows older.

moon2dove
December 5th, 2011, 09:41 AM
Every little girl's hair grows differently and sometimes us Mothers think it grows - looking a bit strange- But it's just natural growth.
Maybe as suggested a gentle massage and I'm sure another 6-12months your Daughters hair will look different again.

renarok
December 5th, 2011, 09:56 AM
When my girls were little they were bald and their hair grew slowly. Looking back now that they are all grown I wouldn't change them at all. There is nothing more precious than a downy little head.

I remember being annoyed when people commented on how cute my baby boy was, but now I just laugh.

my advice is to love that fuzzy little head. She wont be little for long.

torrilin
December 5th, 2011, 10:12 AM
At 21 months she's still a baby really. Kids grow and change a *lot* in their first few years of life. The best thing to do is make sure she's getting plenty of healthy food, and plenty of cuddles from mom and dad. Babies who get lots of affection grow big and strong faster than ones who don't.

I'd only worry about her hair if *she* is worried... and I really can't see the average 21 month old worrying about hair. Usually they're a lot more focused on playing.

If a stranger says something in a hurtful way, that sucks, but the best thing you can do for her is explain it gently. Kids can cope with all sorts of stuff as long as they're sure that mommy and daddy love them. And that's assuming she even notices. Toddlers don't always follow everything adults say. Even kids who are really good at listening and following directions are going to miss a lot in adult conversation.

I'm sure she's an adorable little girl :). Enjoy her the way she is now, because it won't last long.

ladonna
December 5th, 2011, 10:17 AM
I wouldn't worry about her hair, all Little Ones have funny baby hair, it will grow and be beautiful. My 3 year old DD still has the really short hair around her face and my 16 month old son has almost no hair around his face even though the rest of his hair is long. It's just the way they grow.

ladyfey
December 5th, 2011, 10:34 AM
My son didn't get his first haircut until 2. And it is only now that he rally has hair on top (he is 3 now.) Don't worry about it, most babies have that Jack Nicholson look!

ravenreed
December 5th, 2011, 10:38 AM
Neither of my sons even had hair until they were in their terrible twos! Then, when it started growing, they had a little tail and not much else for a long time. Both are now grown men with thick heads of hair. I would leave well enough alone.

Amber_Maiden
December 5th, 2011, 10:38 AM
I would really avoid rubbing anything into her scalp, even if it is natural and chemical free. Toddler hair grows at different rates. just let it grow naturally.

holothuroidea
December 5th, 2011, 01:45 PM
I was bald until I was three!! Well not really bald, more like bald with patches of fuzz. Little kids have different growth rates and some are very slow.

My first daughter was born with beautiful curls on the top of her head and by the time she was 2 she had a full head of hair. My second was born with something akin to male pattern baldness and at 1 year old has some fuzz and 2 huge cow licks. :D

Let it be. She will grow hair when she is good and ready. :)

SteelRose
December 5th, 2011, 02:01 PM
My oldest is 2 and she still has crazy cowlicks and our 7 mo old was all but born with a mohawk. She still has far more hair on top than anywhere else. Their hair will grow as it does. Even it out if you must, but really the only way it is likely to bother her is if it obviously bothers you. As far as the strangers' comments go, people are oblivious. I have been in the store with a child wearing pink in a mostly pink car seat and they ask how old my son is. There are so many other things to worry about with kids. As long as they're healthy and happy, let the hair go.

spidermom
December 5th, 2011, 02:08 PM
Neither of my children had much hair until they were 2. I remember that my son's hair grew faster right behind his ears, and his first hair cut (which I still have) was removal of two long little "twigs" so that the back would line up.

After 2, hair growth was much better.

holothuroidea
December 5th, 2011, 02:17 PM
*snip* As far as the strangers' comments go, people are oblivious. I have been in the store with a child wearing pink in a mostly pink car seat and they ask how old my son is.

I am totally guilty of this! For some reason my brain assumes that all babies are girl babies no matter how much blue they are wearing until someone points out what a jerk I am. :D If someone has only had babies of one sex, they are probably likely to do this.

Amiblue
December 5th, 2011, 06:45 PM
When my girls were little they were bald and their hair grew slowly. Looking back now that they are all grown I wouldn't change them at all. There is nothing more precious than a downy little head.

I remember being annoyed when people commented on how cute my baby boy was, but now I just laugh.

my advice is to love that fuzzy little head. She wont be little for long.

Ditto!!! :)

KwaveT
December 5th, 2011, 07:25 PM
My youngest niece has what you would call patchy or bald looking until she was about two years old. Now you would never know that she use to have so little hair as she turns 4 next Monday. She has thick beautiful APL length hair. Some children don't grow in as quickly as others.