PDA

View Full Version : What is your definition of good hair?

holothuroidea
December 5th, 2011, 07:01 AM
What I've noticed from hanging out here for a while is that nobody defines "good hair" the same way. I think most of us would say that good hair is healthy, but that is fairly subjective as well.

For example some people with my hair type say they are having a good hair day when it it straight and "well behaved," while others would call that a "flat" day and will do anything to maximize the waves.

So how would you define good hair? I can't wait to hear your opinions. :)

ETA: For clarification, I meant what is good for your own hair. What is the difference between a good hair day and a bad hair day? Sorry for any confusion.

StormVixen
December 5th, 2011, 07:07 AM
for me, good hair is BIG and made up of well defined curls... but also soft to the touch, (co)clean, fragrant and shiny... :D

holothuroidea
December 5th, 2011, 07:07 AM
I think that 3 things need to happen for hair to be good-

Firstly, it needs to be clean. For me that means that it is free of foreign material and build up and product residue.

Secondly, it needs to be healthy. For me that means it is well moisturized, strong and mostly undamaged. Shine doesn't always happen but it is a plus.

Thirdly, no scraggles! I think that fairy tale and tapered hemlines are beautiful but hanging-on-for-dear-life damaged ends that fade into nothing are not.

holothuroidea
December 5th, 2011, 07:10 AM
for me, good hair is BIG and made up of well defined curls... but also soft to the touch and shiny... :D

ooooo I am always jealous of that type of hair. :)

Sometimes I live vicariously through my DH's hair, who would have this kind if he grew it out like I keep telling him to do. ;)

Avital88
December 5th, 2011, 07:27 AM
good hair comes in al textures and colors IMO..I personally see good hair as thick,strong,dark,shiny,healhy,soft with good ends and looking neat whether this is curly or straight..
I prefer wurly though and natural color

jacqueline101
December 5th, 2011, 07:46 AM
I think its hair that's shiny healthy and has body to it. Smells great and is touchable.

girlcat36
December 5th, 2011, 07:50 AM
To me, good hair is hair that looks great with a minimum of fussing. So I think 1a or 1b hair is 'good' hair. Just my opinion because I hate fussing with product, spritzes, whether or not curls are behaving, etc. I hate styling my hair, I just want to wake up and go, like I imagine someone with 1a hair would be able to. Good hair would not have frizz.

My hair is very healthy, there are no splits; but it doesn't 'look' healthy.

Gothchiq
December 5th, 2011, 07:53 AM
Shiny, soft, non frizzy!

Anlbe
December 5th, 2011, 08:00 AM
Soft, shinny, with volume but no split ends or frizz

Madora
December 5th, 2011, 08:43 AM
My definition of good hair is hair that is clean, with minimal damage.

beccababesx
December 5th, 2011, 09:10 AM
All hair is good, whether it is damaged to breaking, or LHC loved, 4c, 1a, 1/2 an inch or 60 inches, black, red, blonde, or white :)

jesis
December 5th, 2011, 09:12 AM
I do love hair, but I often cringe when I see someone who doesn't take care of their's. I guess beccababesx is right, all hair is technically good hair, and I often compliment my friend's hair, especially if they take care of it. I can't help but be a little judgmental towards those who torture their hair every day, though.

girlcat36
December 5th, 2011, 09:25 AM
To me, good hair is hair that looks great with a minimum of fussing. So I think 1a or 1b hair is 'good' hair. Just my opinion because I hate fussing with product, spritzes, whether or not curls are behaving, etc. I hate styling my hair, I just want to wake up and go, like I imagine someone with 1a hair would be able to. Good hair would not have frizz.

I jus want to add that I love and appreciate all types of hair, from 1a-4b. I truly do love the uniqueness that each hair type possesses. I don't think is necessarily the most beautiful hair; it's just the hair type that would work best for me. I hate dealing with my own hair, I hate styling hair; I am so hair challenged. I don't think hair is fun at all; never have. It would just be easier to be 1a. Or maybe have a personal hair stylist. Or maybe not have babyfine hair.
I have such hair angst.

vanillabones
December 5th, 2011, 09:32 AM
I think whatever hairtype you have it is best to embrace it and think of it as your favorite in keeping it healthy and in my opinion all one length... no layers/bangs. And natural hair color.

I am learning to love my hairtype here at LHC, it will look very ethereal long being so fine and flowy and straight (I will use soft curlers every night though). It is lightweight and delicate looking.

However I can't help but favor the 2a/2b F/M ii/iii hair that I wish mine could have potential for. I love soft waves or even curls, I'd love to be a 2b/2c or 2c :) with fine delicate looking hair just slightly stronger an definitely thicker.

lapushka
December 5th, 2011, 09:51 AM

Nonsense! Your hair looks awesome. I mean look at those wurls & curls!:D

To me, good hair is hair that has few splits and/or white dots, so hair with little damage, whatever the texture.

Chamy
December 5th, 2011, 09:52 AM
For me good hair is hard to define. I also think that it should be healthy and clean from build up and foreign manipulation(chemicals, like haircolours and perms and such). That is what i think is good hair on me.
On others i think it should look like they care for it, that they are comfortable in it. But i dont mind if it is maipulated in any way.
So good hair depends. But I think the main think is that is should look like the person is comfortable in it.

LovingLife
December 5th, 2011, 10:04 AM
for me, good hair is BIG and made up of well defined curls... but also soft to the touch, (co)clean, fragrant and shiny... :D

This is so me! :D

Lianna
December 5th, 2011, 10:10 AM
I don't like to call some kind of hair "good" because it implies the others are bad. I'll just put it this way: I'd like to have hair that is fairly easy to take care, doesn't need a lot of products or styling, and by styling I don't mean your usual hot tool. I'd like to avoid damp braiding and bunning aswell. Just wash and let it dry loose, and it would dry fairly quickly, without frizz.

fridgee
December 5th, 2011, 10:12 AM
But I think the main think is that is should look like the person is comfortable in it.

This! Hair can shine to high heaven but if the person does not love it or is not comfortable with it, its not good hair to them, however much other people may love it. But I think this forum helps people come to love their hair, so more good hair all round! :)

Mairéad
December 5th, 2011, 10:23 AM
Good hair depends on the person. I think society has a definition of good hair (that changes over time) but is unachievable for most seeing how us mortals don't have such resources. Then, on a personal basis everyone has their own hair type that will look different at its best and will be defined by different qualities.

My hair is fairly straight, average thickness (more thin than thick) and more fine than it is coarse (though it is definitely medium) so my good hair would be sleek, soft, shiny, and with some body in there.

Diamond.Eyes
December 5th, 2011, 10:31 AM
Hair that is clean and shiny with minimal split ends. Though I sometimes prefer curls in my hair, my attention seems to be captured more often when I see someone with long, shiny, sleek, straight hair. :)

tigereye
December 5th, 2011, 10:34 AM
For me, my "good hair" is how it is when I wake up on the second or third day of washing and the ends of the layers are waving just right, but then it goes mental on me when I take a shower, or indeed lay a finger to it - so I give up and bun it instead.

Generally though, I just like it soft, with as few splits as I can manage. :)

Amber_Maiden
December 5th, 2011, 10:36 AM
Very little damaged, shiny, moisturized, and no dryness. Ends that have recently been trimmed, no splits.

ludwig20
December 5th, 2011, 10:37 AM
I think soft, clean, manageable hair is quite healthy and beautiful. That's what I strive for at least.

luxepiggy
December 5th, 2011, 11:51 AM
To me, good hair should be shiny, soft and tangle-free. It should also exhibit minimal signs of damage like splits/breakage/velcro ends.

holothuroidea
December 5th, 2011, 01:34 PM
Wow! Thanks for all the replies. :)

I think it's interesting that most people have said that good hair is shiny. Would you put shiny above other qualities?

I wouldn't, personally. I like shine and my hair is very shiny when it's well moisturized but too much moisture weighs my waves down and I like them to be really wispy and windswept looking. I think hair looks softer when it's not shiny.

ETA: I've seen some shiny hair here that literally looks like water. That is some seriously beautiful hair, but for some reason I don't like it on myself. I think it just doesn't fit my personality. I'm not a "sleek" kind of person. :D

darklyndsea
December 5th, 2011, 02:06 PM
Other people probably have higher standards then me, but I would consider my hair to be good if it would actually stay untangled for five minutes at a time (i.e. from the time I start brushing to when I finish brushing). Manageability and lack of frizz would be awesome bonuses.

...Yeah, I don't have good hair days. Ever.

Lianna
December 5th, 2011, 03:56 PM
Would you put shiny above other qualities?

I wouldn't, in fact I don't even notice unless the hair is very very shiny. For my hair I would put lack of frizz on top because my hair is just naturally frizzy and just looks "messy" or dry, when it isn't.

I still think shiny hair is nice though.

Hollyfire3
December 5th, 2011, 04:57 PM
My defintion would be thick, long, dark and shiny. My biggest pet peeve is tapering ends. I guess everyone likes what they like but in my opinion, overly layered, wispy, fairytale ends are just not ok. I always want the bluntest,thickest hemline possible. I also think that good hair must be bouncy and full of volume, and able to curl or be straight with little manipulation. Also, good hair takes one or no hair products to be great.

andreamuse
December 5th, 2011, 05:48 PM
I think hair that looks clean, well cared for, not straggly, not too bushy, not frizzy or damaged.

Personally, I prefer gentle waves or curls, a bit of shine, an even hemline.

Capybara
December 5th, 2011, 05:53 PM
Part of "good hair" for me is whether it feels good too. If I have a beautiful updo, I don't care how good it looks or how flattering it is if it pulls and is uncomfortable.

RoseOfClare
December 5th, 2011, 06:23 PM
The type of hair when you see it all you want to do is reach out and touch it!!!

Kristin
December 5th, 2011, 06:44 PM
Thick, soft, shiny, smooth (no frizz), and split-end-free. I also like a little volume at the roots, but that doesn't usually happen for me.

Kyla
December 5th, 2011, 06:47 PM
I think that 3 things need to happen for hair to be good-

Firstly, it needs to be clean. For me that means that it is free of foreign material and build up and product residue.

Secondly, it needs to be healthy. For me that means it is well moisturized, strong and mostly undamaged. Shine doesn't always happen but it is a plus.

Thirdly, no scraggles! I think that fairy tale and tapered hemlines are beautiful but hanging-on-for-dear-life damaged ends that fade into nothing are not.

That's my definition as well. :) I admire all hair types as well, I don't believe a specific texture or look is what is "good."

CurlyCap
December 5th, 2011, 07:16 PM
BIG hair, because it fits my personality (and I love the cloud-like feeling)

PERFECT curls, because the line between frizz and curls is fine.

SOFT, because sometimes defining curls requires more product than I like

HEALTHY, because I hate fried, damaged hair of any kind.

SHINY, because I've never had it. My hair always looks dull, even if individual strands are shiny. :(

KwaveT
December 5th, 2011, 07:19 PM
I think of hair that looks and feels healthy and the ends are relatively free of damage.

julya
December 5th, 2011, 07:31 PM
For my own hair, I feel like it is good hair when it is being agreeable about going up into a bun, and staying there all day.

Fedelm
December 5th, 2011, 07:39 PM
My general definition is minimally processed hair that feels nice, has few split ends and is reasonably thick to the end. This means there's no way I would consider bleached hair "good".

Personally, I'm having a good hair day when my curls are well-defined and not frizzy. This happens rarely.

Maelyssa
December 5th, 2011, 07:45 PM
To me, good hair should be shiny, soft and tangle-free. It should also exhibit minimal signs of damage like splits/breakage/velcro ends.

Exactly THIS luxepiggy! Couldn't have said it better myself. :D
And this definition of 'good hair' stands for all lengths, types & colors.

tinywife
December 5th, 2011, 08:01 PM
It depends on the face. I'm always wanting a little more body at the roots; other faces look better with smooth flat hair. It seems that most people have the hair that fits them best, too, whether it's super-curly or 1A straight.

coffinhert
December 5th, 2011, 08:15 PM
For me, good hair is two things: 1 when it feels soft to my hands and 2 when the ends are smooth and not frizzy

akilina
December 5th, 2011, 08:24 PM
I see different hair textures and lengths all day long. If its healthy and has nice rich color (no matter if its blond, grey, white, brown, black, red , or rainbow!!) Im not really biased to a certain specific look of the hair. it could be really short and still be great hair. ive seen thin hair that is marvelous and really healthy as well.
ill probably never think my own hair is "good" though until it is to my waist and the perfect henna color that im trying to achieve and my layers are grown out! :(

ericthegreat
December 6th, 2011, 03:32 AM
I really hate the term "good hair". It has its roots in racial discrimination, particularly against people who are black or of another skin color other than white. It was another tool, right alongside lighter skin, which was used as an excuse to justify slavery and oppression. Along with pale white skin, blonde hair and blue eyes, which are the epitome of the Aryan/Nordic ideals of beauty, the idea of "good hair" was created to further promote the institution of white privilege.

Among the many things I'd like to get rid of in the world, is this whole idea of "good hair". The very term implies that people who don't have that type of hair have "bad hair", and it further implies that they are "bad people" or are lesser in some way. So its my conviction that no one person on this planet has "good hair". We ALL have hair that is perfect and beautiful in in own unique way.

wandlimb
December 6th, 2011, 05:37 AM
My definition of good hair is just clean and cared for.

holothuroidea
December 6th, 2011, 06:36 AM
I really hate the term "good hair". It has its roots in racial discrimination, particularly against people who are black or of another skin color other than white. It was another tool, right alongside lighter skin, which was used as an excuse to justify slavery and oppression. Along with pale white skin, blonde hair and blue eyes, which are the epitome of the Aryan/Nordic ideals of beauty, the idea of "good hair" was created to further promote the institution of white privilege.

Among the many things I'd like to get rid of in the world, is this whole idea of "good hair". The very term implies that people who don't have that type of hair have "bad hair", and it further implies that they are "bad people" or are lesser in some way. So its my conviction that no one person on this planet has "good hair". We ALL have hair that is perfect and beautiful in in own unique way.

:confused:

I'm sorry I must have hit a sensitive issue for you but please refrain from insinuating that I am a racist or that I only like certain kinds of hair. It is really unfair and way off base.

Everyone has good hair days and bad hair days, I was wondering what you thought was a good one. That's all and nothing more.
ETA: I have added this clarification to the original post.

PrairieRose
December 6th, 2011, 07:32 AM
I see different hair textures and lengths all day long. If its healthy and has nice rich color (no matter if its blond, grey, white, brown, black, red , or rainbow!!) Im not really biased to a certain specific look of the hair. it could be really short and still be great hair. ive seen thin hair that is marvelous and really healthy as well. I agree, hair comes in so many wonderful varieties! Every single person in my family has a different type hair. I try to enforce the fact that their differences is what makes them beautiful and they should be proud of who they are. Of course we do all have good hair days and bad ones. For me personally I feel I am having a good hair day when my hair is looking healthy and has at least some volume:D
holothuroidea... I understood the question and I think most people did:)

RedheadMistress
December 6th, 2011, 03:35 PM
- When my hair is super moisturized and bouncy and super curly I see that as a half-good day because I'm glad it's healthy but I don't like it because of the short length of my hair. If I had TB length hair, it would be nice but nowadays I feel good when it's more wavy, less curly, because at this length, that's what looks the best . .

slz
December 6th, 2011, 03:40 PM
My definition of good hair is hair that is clean, with minimal damage.
This ! Clean, as in reasonably clean (not squeaky clean necessarily, with a healthy amount of protecting sebum is just as fine if not more). And reasonably healthy.

Everyone has good hair days and bad hair days
Actualy, no : in my language there is no equivalent to this concept. No generic term for what is deemed socially accpetable or not. I've responded to your question in the light of what I know from here or other english-speaking places I might visit, but this question would not hve been possibly asked as is in french - there is no equivalent concept.

ETA, for clarification : to the point that I always somehow wonder what they really mean when I read people talking about "bad hair day" - in my mind, it's just either a matter of hair that's dirty, or tangled / needs combing, or styled in a way that doesn't suit you, or a self image issue that has no link to reality. One could say that I truly don't get it, after all.

Orangerthanred
December 6th, 2011, 03:42 PM
Healthy hair. Not dyed, or straightened, or curled, or anything like that. Just normal, au-naturel hair.

So many consider dark, shiny, straight hair 'good'. I'm one of those people with light, frizzy, curly hair who has been struggling to straighten and darken their hair for quite a while. It's not encouraging to know people don't like your hair. -_-

pepperminttea
December 6th, 2011, 03:46 PM
Hair that is enjoyed by its wearer.

darklyndsea
December 6th, 2011, 10:18 PM
ETA, for clarification : to the point that I always somehow wonder what they really mean when I read people talking about "bad hair day" - in my mind, it's just either a matter of hair that's dirty, or tangled / needs combing, or styled in a way that doesn't suit you, or a self image issue that has no link to reality. One could say that I truly don't get it, after all.
You don't have days when you have to struggle for an hour to get your hair untangled for barely long enough to get it into a braid (no matter what you do a bun won't hold) and your hair is frizzing all over the place?

My hair's not usually quite that bad, but yeah, bad hair days definitely exist.

amylou
December 7th, 2011, 09:54 AM
My hair is the same every day, but if I could change something and make my hair better, I would like it to be thicker and lighter. I'm working on both, but hopefully soon I can fix these things.

holothuroidea
December 8th, 2011, 12:21 PM
Actualy, no : in my language there is no equivalent to this concept. No generic term for what is deemed socially accpetable or not. I've responded to your question in the light of what I know from here or other english-speaking places I might visit, but this question would not hve been possibly asked as is in french - there is no equivalent concept.

And I don't get what you don't get. :)

Today I had what I consider a bad hair day because my waves are gone. :( They might be back tomorrow and I will consider that a good day.

I created this thread because I think it's very interesting that other people with my hair type would like it the other way around, and consider "straight" days the good ones. It is all very subjective.

So many consider dark, shiny, straight hair 'good'. I'm one of those people with light, frizzy, curly hair who has been struggling to straighten and darken their hair for quite a while. It's not encouraging to know people don't like your hair. -_-

I agree that the straight sleek hair is often in fashion more than other types but it is not my favorite. My favorite is lighter brown or dark blonde and wavy, and I prefer a softer look. My hair almost always wants to go straight and shiny and I'm always trying to get it lighter and wavier.

vrle
December 8th, 2011, 12:51 PM
A good hair day for me means: clean, shiny and voluminous hair.
My hairtype is always very straight and sometimes even flat. Flat hair is definitely bad hair to me.
Clean hair and shine are only a bit of shampoo and conditioner away, but volume is so much harder to achieve....

princessp
December 8th, 2011, 01:00 PM
I don't like my hair curly because it just seems messy to me (no rhyme or reason to it). Good hair for me is clean, shiny, manageable, no roots showing (I henna), and just a little wavy. The lack of curls generally only happens about 4 days after I wash though so it is never really all of those things at the same time. So truthfully, I hardly ever think I have good hair-blah. :p

papera
December 8th, 2011, 01:21 PM
For me, a good hair day is: fresh-washed, shiny, moisturized, healthy AKA few split ends, voluminous and wavy hair that is soft to touch ... hach :crush:
(and no wind that destroys such good hair days in minutes ...)

Bad hair day: stringy, dry, difficult to manage, split ends en masse (and no time for S&D) and no volume ... the only help on such days: bun and forget them!

Generally, I wouldn't define "good hair" based on texture or colour, but rather on health (I always feel sorry when I see completely damaged hair, which isn't necessarily related to colouring or heat-treatment, but on how a person cares about his/her hair). But then again, other people's hair is none of my business ...

Egana
December 8th, 2011, 01:23 PM

exactly!!!

my hair looks and feels good (pleases me to touch and look at) when it is big, curly, out of my eyes, and decorated - I like to put beads, ribbons, etc it in, and I like to see the light reflect the various hues I have...

I don't understand the confusion about good hair and "judging" others - I thought we were talking about what we like about our own hair?

Certainly every beauty "ideal" in a given culture will be linked to power, to objectification, to the surrounding environmental, and to cultural history. But that doesn't mean I can't enjoy *my own beauty* as well as the beauty of those around me.

Lunarise
December 8th, 2011, 01:28 PM
Good hair = NO FRIZZ!

dwell_in_safety
December 8th, 2011, 02:03 PM
For me, a good hair day is when I have minimal frizz at the ends without needing to add any oil and when I am able to get away with only using my fingers to detangle maybe two or three tangles. I rarely wear my hair down anymore, but when I do, there is a positive correlation between how wavy/even curly it is and how much I appreciate it.