PDA

View Full Version : How, When? and what length? is the time to build up your styling skills?

LovingLife
December 5th, 2011, 06:50 AM
I was wondering what members optimum times where they could get good styles and could practice on themselves. As well as experiences with building up your own hairstyling and how the thickness or texture of your hair impliments on this.

I was wondering because I really want to get some good buns, but as I have have hair a few inches from BSL which is extremely thick, coarse and curly. I wondered if its pointless until at least waist length and also I have very short layers so is it better to wait until my shortest layers are at BSL? :)
What are some recommended updos?
Oh and post pictures!

trillian
December 5th, 2011, 07:29 AM
Well. My advice, and it may not be that helpful, is just to try a few things and see what happens. The hairstyle of the month threads have always been a good source of information for me, because you can see what different lengths and hair types do to different styles. Plus, if you give the styles in there a try, you might find you like the result, even if it doesn't turn out the way it is supposed to. Or it might just look great!

I could do messy buns when my hair hit APL, but boy were they messy! We are talking spikes sticking out of the top of my head messy. But then again, I like the messy look, so it depends what you are going for.

The cameo bun is the one that surprised me with my hair. Pic in my album if you want to check it out. I expected it to look awful, but it has become a go to style for me.

Madora
December 5th, 2011, 09:03 AM
Styling different updos successfully depends on your:

1) hair's thickness (or lack thereof)

2) how long it is

3) how you section it

If you have shorter hair, then the Sock Bun, French or Peacock Twist or Gibson tuck might be right up your alley

If you have mid back length hair, then you could experiment with learning to French braid (English or Dutch technique), or simple buns, or working with braids

Waist length and longer hair lets you experiment even further with braiding and bunning.

But remember, if your hair is thick, it is easier to work with if you section it before you try your bun or braid. Sectioning also makes it much easier to wear up all day w/o discomfort.

Once your hair has hit armpit length, then start experimenting with creating hairdos so that you learn the basics. Learn how to braid and practice, practice, practice. Don't be disheartened if your attempt looks messy. Keep at it! Also, every time you attempt a new style, your fingers are becoming more agile and your "finger memory" when braiding becomes even better. The muscles in your upper arms are becoming stronger also when you French braid with regularity.

If one approach doesn't work, try another. Experimentation can really help you find a style that works for you.

Above all, have p a t i e n c e!