PDA

View Full Version : Argan oil (Moroccan oil) price rip off

Yasmine91
December 4th, 2011, 10:48 PM
Recently, I've noticed that Argan oil has increased in popularity. For good reason, it makes your hair feel and look great. However, here in the UK the price for this oil is a bloody joke especially for the amount they are selling it for.

In most hair care shops you can find this oil, for ridiculous price of £5 per 250-300ml... not only that, but some bottles are contaminated with other substances, so you're not even getting the right products on your hair.

I am half Moroccan, and I get this oil every year, 1-2 litres, for a fraction of the price in UK and I think the US too.

I can't stand when people blow things complelty out of proportions and take advantage. What is with the over pricing and the fakery?

kwaniesiam
December 4th, 2011, 10:53 PM
Moroccan Oil is a specific line of professional salon quality hair products. Their most notable one is a silicone serum that contains traces of Argan oil, it has never been marketed as a pure oil itself.

As for pure argan oil, yes, it is expensive. That depends on your source though. For example, importing lobster to the midwest is a heck of a lot more expensive than eating it in Maine where it is caught fresh. Same deal, importing the oil to the US/UK/rest of the world from the source is going to cause mark up of prices due to shipping, packing, and handling charges.

Avital88
December 4th, 2011, 11:52 PM
my argan costs 12euro for 75ml,so uk is rather cheap imo then..
i think its importingcosts etc im usin pure argan for years and i never found it cheaper somewhere

PolarCathy
December 5th, 2011, 12:52 AM
my argan costs 12euro for 75ml,so uk is rather cheap imo then..
i think its importingcosts etc im usin pure argan for years and i never found it cheaper somewhere

Did I read right, 75 ml for 12 EUR? So 160 EUR per liter? Wow. That's horrendous. I would never pour anything on my hair for that price.

Lissandria
December 5th, 2011, 01:21 AM
Moroccan Oil is a specific line of professional salon quality hair products. Their most notable one is a silicone serum that contains traces of Argan oil, it has never been marketed as a pure oil itself.

In regards to MorrocanOil it seems alot of people are under the impression/mislead that it is infact pure Oil. It's a grey area because while not strictly marketed as pure Oil- It's Marketed as an "Oil Treatment" rather than what it really is - a silicone serum or smoothing serum. :shrug: Not sure if it's deliberate or not. Alot of hairdressers here push it as nourishing for hair:rolleyes: (not saying it isn't but it's mostly silicone) and when I talk about Oiling my hair with coconut oil people say "oh I use Oil"- when they are referring to MorrocanOil. Just thought it was interesting.

CrunchyMama
December 7th, 2011, 08:00 AM
I just found a new bottle of "100% Pure Argan Oil" at my grocery store in a specialty cooking oil section. I checked the ingredients and it only lists Argan Oil... Do you think this would be safe for us on my hair??

chrystalevonne
December 7th, 2011, 08:06 AM
I too have seen so many different companies marketing products as having moroccan oil. Does anyone know of a good brand here in the US that is good quality without having to pay an arm and leg for it? I have noticed there are about 4 different brands (at least) at my local Sally Beauty. I'm so confused as to which one to try and don't want to get it wrong for the price i'm going to pay. Thanks!!

ktani
December 7th, 2011, 08:41 AM
I too have seen so many different companies marketing products as having moroccan oil. Does anyone know of a good brand here in the US that is good quality without having to pay an arm and leg for it? I have noticed there are about 4 different brands (at least) at my local Sally Beauty. I'm so confused as to which one to try and don't want to get it wrong for the price i'm going to pay. Thanks!!

I recommend this brand http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=462115&postcount=407

First cold-pressed, certified organic and from a women's cooperative in Morocco. Very reasonably priced as a little of the oil can go a long way.

jesis
December 7th, 2011, 08:59 AM
The price you listed is VERY cheap. Converting it to US dollars and ounces, that's ~$6.50 for ~8-10 ounces. I buy my oil from Henna Sooq, and I stay away from the Argan oil because it costs ~$18 for 2 ounces! That converts to ~14 euros for 60 mL. SOOO expensive. That's before tax and shipping, too. You can't find it around here. There are other places that are cheaper and other places that are more expensive, but all in all, you're going to end up paying around that price for Argan oil.

Kiwiwi
December 7th, 2011, 09:05 AM
Hey Yasmine,

I am half Moroccan too! :-)
Where do you get the oil then? In Morocco? Next time I'm there I will def. get some. Cos right now I am using expensive oil. I LOVE it so it's worth it for me now. But I'd pay less if I could.

Mischamiu
December 7th, 2011, 09:11 AM
I'm from Morocco and here the oil is not expensive, but the brand "Moroccan oil" is just a serum it isn't actual argan oil

chrystalevonne
December 7th, 2011, 09:53 AM
I recommend this brand http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=462115&postcount=407

First cold-pressed, certified organic and from a women's cooperative in Morocco. Very reasonably priced as a little of the oil can go a long way.

Thanks KTANI!!!!