PDA

View Full Version : Natural Detanglers

countryhorse
December 4th, 2011, 07:31 PM
Hello,
Does anyone here know of some VERY good natural detanglers? Or leave in detanglers? My hair is long and will get tangled very easy. Hate using all the chemicals and was trying to stop.
Even using those I would go through a bottle of conditioner every week, if not less than a week.
Suggestions are greatly appreciated,
Angela

Miss Catrina
December 4th, 2011, 07:34 PM
You could just dilute whatever conditioner you are using into a leave-in spray and use that.

Orangerthanred
December 4th, 2011, 07:37 PM
By natural do you mean so-called 'natural' hair products, or oils and stuff?

holothuroidea
December 4th, 2011, 09:15 PM
When I stopped using shampoo I could get away with a drop of jojoba on my fingers to detangle. Since I've had to go back to surfactants thanks to my stupid scalp I need to use conditioner.

So I am subbing. :drama:

ladyfey
December 4th, 2011, 10:37 PM
I love Kinky Curly's Knot Today. I use it as a leave in. Whole Foods has it, Target has it in the ethnic haircare section.

blondecat
December 4th, 2011, 10:41 PM
I use 'Aloe Vera' gel. Use the pure colourless one not the green coloured one ;)

it detangles and gives me a static free day, bonus :)

sycamoreboutiqu
December 4th, 2011, 10:41 PM
I have been having great success with a version of Kimberlilys aloe detangler/defrizz blend.

Basically it is Aloe Gel, Distilled Water & Oil - I prefer Jojoba and Coconut

It has done wonders for my heavy, wavy easily tangled hair.

blondecat
December 4th, 2011, 10:43 PM
Sorry, I also use Aloe straight from the Cactus plant, when I have it growing. Split the leaf down the middle, scoop out the fresh, mash with a fork and use.

ATrixie
December 8th, 2011, 05:24 PM
Hi everyone! Great thread, I'm subscribing! :)

Do the aloe vera and jojoba leave smell/residue in your hair? Do you need to wash afterwards?

My hair is very tangled, and I'm NW, which means no washing, I'd like to keep it that way, want to get rid of the tangles though!!

Blondecat, great tip!! I think my neighbours might have an aloe cactus (I'm not sure if it's the 'right' one - how do you recognize it, or would any of them do?)

Oh, and here's a link to DIY detanglers, just googled it up, haven't tried any of it:
http://www.ehow.com/how_5906992_make-natural-organic-hair-detangler.html
(I'm thinking 'probably not' for my NW hair, if any of you try any of it, do report!)
There are more links if you google 'natural hair detangler'....

Some people online just recommend using the conditioner, mixed with water I think...

Hollyfire3
December 8th, 2011, 06:35 PM
I have been having great success with a version of Kimberlilys aloe detangler/defrizz blend.

Basically it is Aloe Gel, Distilled Water & Oil - I prefer Jojoba and Coconut

It has done wonders for my heavy, wavy easily tangled hair.

I might try those also! I have similar hair to yours, oh and you avatar hair is beautiful!

jaine
December 8th, 2011, 06:43 PM
I see you are 2b...it might be a good idea to lower your expectations. I'm coming to the same realization myself.

Tangle-free hair means you can run your fingers or a brush or a comb through it without resistance...but wavy hair often looks so much better when it's not combed or brushed. So one option is to let it form clumps and leave them alone...you can always detangle it later in the shower, with conditioner in your hair. The other option is to straighten it. There are some ways to do this without damage but they all involve a lot of effort so lately I'm leaning towards option 1.

dwell_in_safety
December 8th, 2011, 08:09 PM

Do the aloe vera and jojoba leave smell/residue in your hair? Do you need to wash afterwards?

My hair is very tangled, and I'm NW, which means no washing, I'd like to keep it that way, want to get rid of the tangles though!!

Blondecat, great tip!! I think my neighbours might have an aloe cactus (I'm not sure if it's the 'right' one - how do you recognize it, or would any of them do?)

Oh, and here's a link to DIY detanglers, just googled it up, haven't tried any of it:
(I'm thinking 'probably not' for my NW hair, if any of you try any of it, do report!)

Some people online just recommend using the conditioner, mixed with water I think...

I don't use any kind of detangler on my hair, unless you count putting jojoba oils on my ends as one. :) (Half the reason I use it!)

Jojoba oil does have a smell to it, but it's very light and honestly smells to me a lot like regular hair smell. I don't notice it at all after my hair's soaked it up, only when I first put it on my fingers/hair. I think the smell goes away. It doesn't leave any residue. I can't speak for AVG when left in the hair.

blondecat
December 9th, 2011, 03:02 AM

Ummm I think there are many varieties of Aloe. Google aloe, if it looks he part, try it.

mneh
December 9th, 2011, 03:32 AM
I see you are 2b...it might be a good idea to lower your expectations. I'm coming to the same realization myself.

Tangle-free hair means you can run your fingers or a brush or a comb through it without resistance...but wavy hair often looks so much better when it's not combed or brushed. So one option is to let it form clumps and leave them alone...you can always detangle it later in the shower, with conditioner in your hair. The other option is to straighten it. There are some ways to do this without damage but they all involve a lot of effort so lately I'm leaning towards option 1.

Hi countryhorse another 2b/c here to agree with jainethat the only time I can detangle my hair is when I'm in the shower and have lots of conditioner in the lengths. My hair tangles because it's wurly and it wants to form clumps; combing the tangles/clumps makes my hair frizzy, so, these days I just let it form clumps and resign myself to keeping my fingers (or comb) out of there. I like my clumpy, tangly hair now that I've started to accept its natural behaviour. I could straighten my hair with heat which kills the tangles but it also killed my hair (in the days before LHC) so I just don't bother any more.

If I want to style my hair in something such as a french plait, I smooth a little coconut oil or curl cream through the lengths/ends and that makes it a little easier to section for plaiting.

Long_Curls
December 9th, 2011, 05:13 AM
Hello,
Does anyone here know of some VERY good natural detanglers? Or leave in detanglers? My hair is long and will get tangled very easy. Hate using all the chemicals and was trying to stop.
Even using those I would go through a bottle of conditioner every week, if not less than a week.
Suggestions are greatly appreciated,
Angela

Most oils act as natural detanglers.

I find coconut oil to be an excellent detangler but it needs to be used minimally (the least amount possible) as otherwise it will leave solid residue, especially if you use melted butter instead of oil.

ATrixie
December 9th, 2011, 05:23 PM
Thanks for replies, everyone! :)

BlondeCat, do you find aloe vera straight from the plant leaves residue/build-up that needs to be washed away later? Or is it 'invisible'? Did it dry your hair?

Most oils act as natural detanglers.

I find coconut oil to be an excellent detangler but it needs to be used minimally (the least amount possible) as otherwise it will leave solid residue, especially if you use melted butter instead of oil.

hmm, melted butter - would that be 'processed' coconut oil? I've only seen it in 'solidified' form.. (?)
I think it's solid when cold and more creamy/oily when on room temperature or heated...?
Or does it depend on chemical processes used to obtain it?

I don't dare to use oils for fear they might get 'rancid' and smell later on? Would coconut oil be okay, since it's okay with room temperature? I wonder this about jojoba too... (would it go rancid/iffy-smelling long-term?)

I'm basically trying to decide among jojoba, coconut oil and aloe vera gel :) Any help would be appreciated!

holothuroidea
December 9th, 2011, 10:20 PM
If your sebum is very waxy or you are acne prone, start with jojoba. If you have oily skin and hair start with coconut, if your hair dislikes oil in general or if your budget is very limited try aloe first. This is all just from personal experience, though.

You are going to probably try more than one before you find the one that works for you. I understand that you don't want to try anything and then have to wash it out, I think the key will be to start very small and only use one drop at a time.

Jojoba as far as I know will never go rancid, it is not an oil but a liquid wax. Coconut oil has a shelf life, but I think it would rub off of or be absorbed by your hair before it goes rancid.

ATrixie
December 10th, 2011, 05:43 PM
Thanks Holo! :)

I just read on Wikipedia that aloe vera can help detangle even dreadlocks, so I'm hoping these will be able to work!
Wiki also says jojoba"is more shelf-stable than oils of safflower oil, canola oil, almond oil or squalene but less than castor oil and coconut oil." So probably both could work?

I don't know if it's good to mix all of these on NW hair! :) Might try different strands of hair if one wouldn't work..
There's probably still some coconut oil somewhere... now if I can find it!! Love the smell anyway!!
Have mixed skin and hair I think, hair is oily (or a few zits on forehead) 1x a month :) or with more oils/sweets/stress in nutrition - never tried oil on my hair since NW, so I don't know! (only tried walnut oil before, I think, didn't know what I was doing at the time!)
Sebum is supposed to be waxy, no? Had way more before than now.. (Applying it to hair ends really helps decrease it)

Big thanks for the tips, I'd never dare to do this on my own!

holothuroidea
December 11th, 2011, 03:29 PM
You're very welcome! I am happy to be helpful.

I wouldn't worry about the shelf stability of most oils, you aren't washing your hair but it still rubs off and evaporates and absorbs and I really don't think it would go rancid on your hair.

I'd have some concern about aloe straight from the plant and aloe juice, both of them need refrigeration. The gel has preservatives in it so it would be OK I think.

*snip* Sebum is supposed to be waxy, no? Had way more before than now.. (Applying it to hair ends really helps decrease it)

Some people have waxy sebum and some people have oily sebum. Mine is pretty much solid at room temperature it's so waxy, but my DH's on the other hand is more like oil. I think most people are somewhere in between.

I've been thinking recently that my hard waxy sebum is not a good thing and I've read that it can be from a dietary omega 3/6 imbalance. It's hard to say how much of it is dietary and how much is genetic, though, but it definitely is the source of my acne and scalp problems.

ATrixie
December 12th, 2011, 10:48 AM
Some people have waxy sebum and some people have oily sebum. Mine is pretty much solid at room temperature it's so waxy, but my DH's on the other hand is more like oil. I think most people are somewhere in between.
WOW, very interesting! :) Thanks!
My sebum is kinda a bit waxy I guess, 'soft wax' maybe?

I've been thinking recently that my hard waxy sebum is not a good thing and I've read that it can be from a dietary omega 3/6 imbalance. It's hard to say how much of it is dietary and how much is genetic, though, but it definitely is the source of my acne and scalp problems.What makes you think it might not be a good thing? And where did you read about omega3/6 being a factor? Would love to read that! Never heard it before! I've seen fish oil make my hair more oily, thought it was general 'more oil > more oily hair' though-? (Other oily/fatty food or sweets made my hair more oily too...)

Well, I tried the coconut oil, and now my hair smells NICE! Detangling-wise, not so great - some success, honestly I thought the 'big tangles' would detangle much more easily though, lol... Any specific tips for detangling really long hair? (about 15cm to knee) Anyone?

holothuroidea
December 12th, 2011, 01:25 PM
*snip*
What makes you think it might not be a good thing? And where did you read about omega3/6 being a factor? Would love to read that! Never heard it before! I've seen fish oil make my hair more oily, thought it was general 'more oil > more oily hair' though-? (Other oily/fatty food or sweets made my hair more oily too...)

Well I really feel like so many other people can go water only/NW why can't I? It seems to me like a healthy scalp would be okay with WO and mine is not, and by that logic it is not healthy. That's why I started looking into it. Most people don't have a problem going WO on their face, or using OCM but I had bad acne problems so that was an issue, too.

The idea behind the 3/6 imbalance is that your skin uses the omega 3's to make oily sebum and omega 6's to make the waxy stuff. If you have too much 6 in your diet and not enough 3, your sebum will get hard and waxy. So if this theory is true, it makes sense that your fish oil (heavy in omega 3's) will give you oilier sebum. It might seem better to have waxy sebum if you are NW/WO because it looks more like hair product and less like grease and doesn't weigh your hair down as much. However, I think it is ideal to have a balance, somewhere in between. The hard sebum is very pore clogging and is the source of my acne issues. I'm going to increase my 3's and decrease my 6's and see what happens. I'm usually very against dietary changes like this but I want clear skin!!

Well, I tried the coconut oil, and now my hair smells NICE! Detangling-wise, not so great - some success, honestly I thought the 'big tangles' would detangle much more easily though, lol... Any specific tips for detangling really long hair? (about 15cm to knee) Anyone?

I love the smell of coconut oil!

ATrixie
December 23rd, 2011, 02:53 PM
I think coconut oil is not such a great fit for NW: after a week or so, my hair started smelling iffy, didn't like it much... don't know if any others would be better? It got a bit better, still not so good..
I applied generously (maybe too much?) and didn't manage to untangle it all.. it detangled a bit, then I gave up and just put it up in a hairdo again, yikes lol. The other side where I didn't apply it got even more tangly though, so hm.

My dad expected quicker results, and honestly so did I... yikes (maybe my hair is a 'special situation' though lol - there's just SO MUCH of it!!) still gotta keep on detangling! :)

Thanks for advice everyone anyway! And if you have any other thoughts, feel free to post some more info/advice!

patienceneeded
December 23rd, 2011, 03:35 PM
I use a few drops (3-4) of 100% Argan oil to combat tangles. I find it to be light (doesn't weigh my hair down) and very effective at keeping my ends from tangling. I order mine from Amazon.com through Watts Beauty. I get the organic cold-pressed version. 1 small bottle lasts several months, a little goes a long way.

Dragon Faery
December 23rd, 2011, 10:53 PM
I've found avocado and sweet almond oils to be light and slippy for my hair. I don't notice much smell with either, less for the almond than the avocado. Both of these detangle well for me without using much.

A lot of long hairs around here swear by Tangle Teezers. I don't have one, but they seem to give good results to others. Some people also use a steel comb for long-haired dogs. I just tried one of these for the first time, and it seemed to work.

The main key with detangling is patience. That and regularity. Good luck! I hope you find good solutions!