PDA

View Full Version : Why not cut?

Amara
July 10th, 2008, 11:34 AM
I need some of you lovely folks to tell me why I shouldn't cut my hair. Remind me that I've never had hair this long. Remind me how special and fun it is to have hair so different from those around me. Remind me that it will not be stuck in the wastelands between waist and hip forever. Please. I haven't had the urge to cut it before, not seriously. But I've been waffling for a week. I don't think I really want it shorter again, at least not until I've seen what classic is like. I've never been there (i'd never even been to waist before!) and I'd like to be there just once, because it's unique and sounds fun and I think I'd like it.

What I'm trying to do: I started taking hair vitamins to help it (I hope!) grow faster. It's easy to lose patience when your hair grows slower than average. I am also rejoining the wear-hair-up-for-a-____ challenge. I'm going 80 days. I tend to split and tangle a lot, so I'm going to baby it to help give those vitamins a chance to do all they can for me. In 80 days, I'll take it down and measure it and what's what. If I don't cut it all off before then!!! :(

... help!

Islandgrrl
July 10th, 2008, 11:43 AM
How about because it's freakin' amazing!!!!!

Seriously....you WILL regret it and you WILL have undone years of patient, loving care to get you where you are now. I know this from experience. I used to have gorgeous knee-length hair and I'm barely back at BSL. Regret is really kind of bitter, you know?

Have a goal, but don't really focus too hard on how things will be once you've reached it. Focus on where you are now and making your hair the most beautiful it can be TODAY.

Blueneko
July 10th, 2008, 11:45 AM
Don't go into the light!

You are so close. You worked so hard. You can do it!!!

Lixie
July 10th, 2008, 11:46 AM
Because you have beautiful hair, and you create such lovely updos with it. :flower:

Siava
July 10th, 2008, 11:48 AM
You've come soooooo far!! You will regret it. You know you will. I think your plan is a good one. Just put it up and forget about it. When you start thinking about cutting, like a smoker trying to quit, busy yourself for the next 5 minutes. The feeling will pass. Don't doooo it!

lora410
July 10th, 2008, 11:51 AM
Because alot of us would probably give up a body part to be at your length. Because if you cut you will look like all of the short haired women of the world. Because you started growing to get long hair because short is a pain the the rear to care for.

busnutmedic
July 10th, 2008, 11:59 AM
Get into other things :) When I dwell on my hair, all I want to do is do SOMETHING with it. And when I run out of new and exciting options, I get the urge to cut.

The urge to cut has been coming back fairly consistently. But it's because I see women who have shorter hair and they look fantastic; then, I see people with that exact length that I definitely don't want to look like!!! So for now, I am not cutting, but I am going to let it grow and trim it back again. I think it's getting a tiny bit thicker (feels like it, anyhow!) so I'm kind of excited to see what happens when I trim again.

Bonnie

kate46
July 10th, 2008, 12:00 PM
Because all of us here at LHC will be :sad

burns_erin
July 10th, 2008, 12:01 PM
Don't do it, you can make it. As I am a bit more of a proactive person, I am a big fan of search and destroys. It gives me something to do, plus it keeps my hair looking its best. And, it is kind of amazing to look that closely at each and every hair, they are kinda like snow flakes and not two are exactly alike. Getting focused on the micro level instead of the macro level can also get your attention off length.

thankyousir74
July 10th, 2008, 12:02 PM
Take it from me, from a short hair, long hair wanna-be.

I mean imagine all of those beautiful buns and hair toys you can do and use. and how long and beautiful your hair looks when you braid it.

c'mon, don't do it, I mean all the patience it took

nope nope nope >_<

Chromis
July 10th, 2008, 12:11 PM
Better question: "Why cut?" :shrug:

Amara
July 10th, 2008, 12:18 PM
Thanks to all who've posted already... it's good to hear voices chime in saying to keep growing... the little voice in my head that was saying that was being drowned out... :D I'm stressed about a couple situations I can't do much about and I think it's transferring itself into a desire to do SOMETHING... you know?

UrbanEast
July 10th, 2008, 12:22 PM
I don't think of the length between waist and hip as a "wasteland" at all. It's gorgeous and there's a ton you can do with hair that length. It looks great down as well as up. It's one of my favorite lengths, in fact.

lora410
July 10th, 2008, 12:29 PM
Thanks to all who've posted already... it's good to hear voices chime in saying to keep growing... the little voice in my head that was saying that was being drowned out... :D I'm stressed about a couple situations I can't do much about and I think it's transferring itself into a desire to do SOMETHING... you know?

I know what you mean on wanting that feeling of something new because you get so bored with just the everyday things, so you look for things to do to your hair to get excited. I usually don't think of cutting but more along the lines of dyeing. I just try to forget about my hair when that itch comes out :lol:

Ohio Sky
July 10th, 2008, 01:06 PM
The hairtyping pics in your album look already hip to me. :shrug:

Don't worry about how fats your hair is growing, it's beautiful NOW, and you should make the most of it.

If you're feeling the urge to do something different, buy yourself a new hair toy or something, or make it something that has nothing to do with hair. Take up a new hobby. It works :cool:

Carolyn
July 10th, 2008, 05:14 PM
What problem could cutting your hair possibly solve? Is it really a big deal that your hair is hanging out in that range for a while? Waffling for a week is not enough waffling time! Give yourself like 6 months of waffle time. Think of all the hassles of having short hair. No no no. Just don't do it. Do we have to get out Karen Marie's :scissors: and make you sit at your computer screen with your nose on the :scissors: until you come to your senses? :D This too shall pass and your hair will feel like it's growing again. Hang in there.

Babyfine
July 10th, 2008, 05:25 PM
Because it will take you years to get back to where you are now- believe me I've cut off hair a few times before- the short cut is always fun until the novelty wears off- then I wish I had the lengthback- but it's a long growing process.

Shadow Walker
July 10th, 2008, 05:48 PM
Amara, please don't cut your hair! It looks fantastic the way it is, and I'm sure it will look even better as it continues to grow. Just be patient, even if it takes longer to grow than you'd like it to, it will be worth it. :)

Future CCC-SLP
July 10th, 2008, 06:53 PM
Have a goal, but don't really focus too hard on how things will be once you've reached it. Focus on where you are now and making your hair the most beautiful it can be TODAY.

omg such wisdom!!! seriously most days I think "if my hair was only hip". Its about time we enjoy the journey of growing out hair...phases and all!!! From here on out I will enjoy my hair at what length it currently is. :cheer:

Now back to the topic..

DO NOT CUT!!! :nono:

EdG
July 10th, 2008, 07:55 PM
I can offer to you the same advice a very nice lady gave me many years ago after looking at my hair: never cut it.

You have beautiful hair, Amara. This is very good advice. :)
Ed

jojo
July 10th, 2008, 08:22 PM
Step away from the scissors and negative thoughts! you have worked so hard to get to your point , don't even think of cutting, been there and got the Tee shirt and honey it aint worth the heartache, get your hair bunned, up out of sight and forget it.

It takes a minute to cut but a lifetime of patience to grow. Don't do it!

hair jim
July 10th, 2008, 08:29 PM
nooo dont do it
slight end trim maybe
trust me i'm going thru the flippy side grow out stage now
have a happy hair day!
~jim

RavennaNight
July 10th, 2008, 08:48 PM
Nooooo! Your hair in your album is amazing! Your updos are so versatile and your hair is so long! A watched pot doesnt boil. Jojo is right! Put it up and away. Maybe some benign neglect and fun updos will keep your mind off the cursed scissors!

susiemw
July 10th, 2008, 08:57 PM
You'll regret it.....!!

There is so much more that you can do with your long beautiful hair! So many different braids and updos that look AMAZING with that wonderful length.

take your mind off cutting by learning a new braid or updo.
And try some new oils, recipes etc.... it'll take your mind off the nasty "c" word.

Susan

Amara
July 10th, 2008, 10:40 PM
I don't think of the length between waist and hip as a "wasteland" at all. It's gorgeous and there's a ton you can do with hair that length. It looks great down as well as up. It's one of my favorite lengths, in fact.

You're right, this is a nice length for versatility. I meant "wasteland" in that it's been there forever and I feel there is no escape. :D. I've been between waist and hip for more than a year now... I thought I'd be at hip by now. After my 80 day updo challenge, I may just ACTUALLY get there.

omg such wisdom!!! seriously most days I think "if my hair was only hip". Its about time we enjoy the journey of growing out hair...phases and all!!! From here on out I will enjoy my hair at what length it currently is. :cheer:

I agree! "if my hair was only hip" has gotten me to this point, I think. I think: "it'll never reach hip, so what's the point...!?" but that makes little sense. It's just an artificial line anyway, as evinced by the thread a while back when we came up with like 8 different ways to say where "hip" is. haha.

THANK you all for chiming in. :flowers: I needed to hear your voices of reason and encouragement. I put it up all day after a small S&D (which was encouraging by itself - after my major one a month or so ago and I found very few [compared to my usual] today) and have successfully avoided the urge to cut for one more 24 hour period. :D The thing is, my logical brain KNOWS cutting wouldn't make any of the OTHER situations in my life better, but the urge to do SOMETHING is still there. I'll just try to make the "something" learning a new dance choreo or something rather than losing all my hair-work from the past few years.

Thank you all, again, SO much, for taking time to reply. :D

Nimawae
July 23rd, 2008, 08:59 AM
Oooo...I hope you're not thinking about cutting it still! I love your hair. You're one of my inspirations for continuing to grow my hair out. Seriously! It would be so sad if you cut all your hair off!