PDA

View Full Version : Shower caps

Miss Catrina
December 4th, 2011, 04:31 PM
I was just wondering who here uses shower caps. Seems like they're instrumental to stretching washes. Do you still shower between washes and just avoid getting your head wet, or do you use a cap? I don't think I could shower and just keep my head out of the path of water, it just wouldn't feel right.

All I have at the moment is a shower cap I got as part of the toiletries in a hotel I stayed at. I'm pretty sure it was meant to be one time use. I'm honestly considering getting a big, fancy, silly one with zebra stripes or something. They're ridiculous, but so fun.

jacqueline101
December 4th, 2011, 04:36 PM
I thought about using one when I oil to retain the moisture but I haven't done it yet.

Miss Catrina
December 4th, 2011, 04:39 PM
I thought about using one when I oil to retain the moisture but I haven't done it yet.

I used it when I was doing a castor oil treatment last week, just to prevent getting chairs etc all greasy. It looked like a huge pain to try and wash such flimsy plastic, though, so now I've just turned it inside out, and the exterior is still all oily. :p

Zesty
December 4th, 2011, 04:40 PM
I find I don't need one when I'm showering but not wetting my hair. I just put my hair up using my acrylic hair stick and keep out from under the stream. Sometimes the nape hairs get wet, but it's not a big deal. I use my shower cap for deep treatments, not for keeping my hair dry.

eezepeeze
December 4th, 2011, 04:40 PM
Yes, I have a bright pink terry lined one that keeps my hair nice and dry and doesn't slip off. I DO shower in between washes, using the cap.

Madora
December 4th, 2011, 04:43 PM
Yes, I've always used a shower cap when showering. I don't like my hair getting wet..especially at the nape.

isabelx
December 4th, 2011, 04:44 PM
This is mine! :cheese: : http://www.purple-heart.com/shower-cap-cupcake.ir?cName=bath-pampering-pampering-accessories

jesis
December 4th, 2011, 04:46 PM
I do sometimes when I'm stretching washes, other times I don't. Just depends.

yukinohana
December 4th, 2011, 04:48 PM
I just put my hair up and avoid getting it too wet ^^ It does tend to get a tiny bit damp, but that doesn't seem to affect it! :)

Miss Catrina
December 4th, 2011, 04:50 PM
This is mine! :cheese: : http://www.purple-heart.com/shower-cap-cupcake.ir?cName=bath-pampering-pampering-accessories

Are you serious? Because that is awesome! :applause:

isabelx
December 4th, 2011, 04:52 PM
Are you serious? Because that is awesome! :applause:

It is isn't it? :laugh: I love this one as well but preferred the cupcake: http://www.il2l.com/natural-products-shark-shower-cap-info I'm so easily amused!

RapunzelKat
December 4th, 2011, 04:57 PM
I just pin my braid up on my head and avoid getting my head wet. It felt funny at first, but I got used to it pretty fast. Occasionally I get a few damp spots, but they dry quickly after. But, I love the idea of the cupcake one! Or an animal print one, which would be even more fun for me. :D

TheLurkingToad
December 4th, 2011, 05:00 PM
I recently started stretching washes but completely forgot about those things called shower caps. I've just been throwing my hair up and trying to avoid getting my hair up.

Keepitgrowing29
December 4th, 2011, 05:03 PM
I use a shower cap and would recommend them. They do help to extend the life of your hair style between washes.

MissManda
December 4th, 2011, 05:05 PM
Yes, I use a shower cap. I've tried just wearing my hair up between wash days, but because of the way the showerhead is placed and because it only produces a very fine spray, it did not work out. I use my shower cap to keep my hair dry on non-wash days and I also use it when I CO or do deep treatments. When I'm COing or DTing, I like to turn the water temperature and put my head under the water. The extra heat seems to boost the effects and as long as I regularly rinse and wash my shower cap regularly, I don't have to worry about residue.

Metallia
December 4th, 2011, 06:46 PM
It is isn't it? :laugh: I love this one as well but preferred the cupcake: http://www.il2l.com/natural-products-shark-shower-cap-info I'm so easily amused!
These are amazing! They make my plain old clear plastic cap jealous. :p
I do use my cap every time I shower but don't wash- I'm not coordinated enough to keep my hair dry otherwise! Especially since I wash my face as I shower in the morning.

uptosomeone
December 4th, 2011, 08:28 PM
I don't use one. I WO wash in between CSC washes.

Aliped
December 4th, 2011, 08:39 PM
I have three different shower caps - one for henndigo, one for treatments (mostly SMTs) and another one for keeping dry in the shower.

Chromis
December 4th, 2011, 08:48 PM
Yes. I always cover my hair with a shower cap when I am not washing it. I even bring one with me on vacations because hotel shower caps are much too small for my mane (and many places no longer have them anyhow). I ordered one from E-bay because I got tired of how shoddy the quality of them is in our drugstores. It landed up only being a dollar or two more even after shipping and is much nicer!

I put my hair up underneath the cap. I am not coordinated enough to leave it loose. More fuss and some always tries to escape! I have a couple of grungy stretched out ones I hang on to just for henna as well.

Kyla
December 4th, 2011, 08:50 PM
I use mine when showering between washes, and sometimes deep treatments. It's just a plain, boring white one. :P But extremely helpful!

battles
December 4th, 2011, 08:51 PM
I just have a purple one. :p It helps, but I normally wash daily so it doesn't get used very often.

kidari
December 4th, 2011, 09:09 PM
Sometimes I bathe and wash my hair separately so I love using a terry cloth hair band and then a shower cap over it. It really protects the hairline from getting wet.

Annibelle
December 4th, 2011, 09:12 PM
I've never needed one. The few times I've showered while trying to keep my hair dry, I just bunned it and it worked fine. I might've gotten the hairline wet, but that didn't really bother me as it dried quickly. But I wash my hair every time I shower. People might think it's gross, but I shower just twice per week. :shrug: I live a very sedentary lifestyle and really see no need to shower more often. I don't have oily skin and I barely sweat at all. The only parts of my body that I even use soap on are my hands and feet-- since they come in contact with the outside world.

If I did shower more often, though, I would either WO or just bun. But my hair dries really quickly. :)

Jean Stuart
December 4th, 2011, 09:15 PM

I buy a bag of 12 clear ones at the Dollar Tree for that.

Tea Lady
December 4th, 2011, 09:59 PM
I sometimes use a cap, sometimes not. If it is not a wash day, and I have already bunned my hair, I will often just go in and avoid getting my hair wet. If I go in with a braid, I use a cheap disposable shower cap (http://www.sallybeauty.com/Professional--Processing-Caps/SLNCAR27,default,pd.html?cm_vc=SEARCH). I try to get several uses out of these. If it's just to keep my hair dry, I can use them many times. If I use it for henna or an oil treatment, I pitch it after use.

Tea Lady

Macaroni
December 4th, 2011, 10:14 PM
My hair loves moisture so I water wash on non-CO days. On CO days I use a silver cap from Sally which rinses clean after use.

PaganPriestess
December 4th, 2011, 10:36 PM
I bathe in my bathtub when not washing my hair. Just keep my hair up while I'm in my big garden tub.

milagro
December 5th, 2011, 12:43 AM
I use them only for DT, I find they don't work better than just put up hair. My nape hair gets wet anyway :)
Detachable shower head gives more convenience.

Tabitha
December 5th, 2011, 09:44 AM
I just use the clear plastic ones from hotels - they last for ages if you're careful with them. Plus I always detach the shower head because I intensely dislike the feeling of water coming down at my face. I use them for cleansing/washing my face too - I wash my face at the basin, not under the shower.

I don't even wash my hair in the shower, I wash it kneeling beside the bathtub, bent over with my head under the mixer tap.

Georgies
December 5th, 2011, 10:14 AM

Okay, I'm loving this. anyone know of similarly silly ones available in the U.S.? mine seems so boring now

Anje
December 5th, 2011, 10:34 AM
I don't usually use them when I shower without washing my hair, preferring instead to just bun my hair and keep my head out of the water. However, I find them wonderful when I do wash my hair. I slather it with conditioner, then put my conditioned hair in the shower cap. Less gets squeezed out than if I bun my hair, and it keeps the hair out of the water and marinating, unlike leaving it loose while I complete the rest of my shower activities.

luxepiggy
December 5th, 2011, 01:14 PM
Nope, I just put my hair in a high bun and shower from the neck down.

feb26
December 5th, 2011, 02:30 PM
I love em: though my nape does get a bit damp resulting in cute baby curls. If I leave my hair down, it gets soaked, if I bun it or butterfly clip it up, it still gets soaked.
Mine is pink.:)

BlazingHeart
December 5th, 2011, 03:14 PM
I use a shower cap when not washing my hair. I just can't manage to keep it dry if I don't. You'll be a lot happier if/when you invest in something nicer than the freebie one you get from hotels. Mine is opaque blue, thicker plastic, with a wider and more comfortable elastic band that is a little snugger so I don't get water leaking in. With the hotel ones, my hair weighs so much that it kind of forms a loose pouch and water sprayed from the side can fill it up.

feb26
December 5th, 2011, 03:26 PM
mine is from Shoppers and a good weight & decent plastic...not at all like the flimsy stuff in hotels-those are awful, agreed :(! I might try the terry cloth headband idea though..I wonder how well it'd work if I used pantyhose to create the headband with (a la hose ponytail holders)

owlathena
December 5th, 2011, 03:31 PM
Sometimes I use em, sometimes I dont :shrug: (always the hotel freebies)

I've been contemplating getting a "real" one and using it more often

excentricat
December 5th, 2011, 03:52 PM
I got a 3 pack of cheap shower caps. Now I have one for deep treatments and one for keeping my hair dry. The third was a spare, until I destroyed the elastic in one of them.

cmg
December 5th, 2011, 04:17 PM
I hate shower caps. But if i got my hands on one of those cupcakes I might become converted :D

WaitingSoLong
December 5th, 2011, 06:50 PM
I use them. I take lots of showers, especially in summer, sometimes twice a day if I am working and sweating a lot. I try to keep my bun covered when I am working to keep debris out of it so I don't have to wash more often in the summer. Unfortunately, I think I get a lot of friction from this. I can't keep silky ones in place.

I used a hotel freebie until it bit the dust and bought a 3 pack. I use one for deep conditioning treatments and one is a spare. They are plain, boring, cheap-as-I-could-find ones.

Every now and then I take one without and just keep my hair out of the water but my hair gets much wetter this way.

EdG
December 5th, 2011, 08:00 PM
I use shower caps when I'm not washing my hair. They generally last a few months before the elastic gives out, the vinyl tears, or mold grows on the elastic. I wish they could make more durable shower caps.

I wash my shower caps every few uses.

I can also go without a shower cap by folding up my hair and holding it over my head in the shower. I do a scalp wash or scalp rinse this way.

I find that hotel-provided shower caps are invariably too small, so I bring my own. :o
Ed

chelshireling
December 5th, 2011, 09:26 PM
I love my hot pink shower cap- it was 99 cents and I use it everytime i shower between washes.

Lianna
December 6th, 2011, 02:59 PM
You all inspired me to get this one (http://www.ebay.com/itm/330606213368?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649). I adore pandas! :D

Capybara
December 6th, 2011, 04:08 PM
I have a blue reusable one with polka dots :) It's one of my favorite things, helps me stretch washes!

silverstars
December 6th, 2011, 08:22 PM
I put one over the plastic wrap when I henna so none gets on the towel I use to keep my head warm. It also catches the drips.

Delila
December 6th, 2011, 08:30 PM
Years ago I bought some with terry cloth inside. They held up well, even through the laundry once in a while (but I did let them air dry).

I still have/use one of them, but these days mostly I just make an updo and avoid the shower spray.

Never have figured out how to keep my hairline completely dry even with a cap.

Deborah
December 6th, 2011, 09:21 PM
I put my hair up in a sloppy bun, then pop on what others use as a sleep cap to shower. Then I try to keep the spray off my head. Sometimes a little nape hair gets damp, but it is no big deal to me.

It's funny, although I use a 'sleep cap' to shower in, I have never actually slept in one. I just braid and sleep on a silk pillow case.

Smitabulous
December 6th, 2011, 09:44 PM
I definitely use a shower cap.... almost 6 days out of the week. I also use a satin night cap/bonnet.

teal
December 6th, 2011, 10:24 PM
Sometimes. I have a nice one I use when I want to keep my hair dry, and cheapos that I use for oiling and deep treatments.

Rilig
December 7th, 2011, 07:30 AM
I used to use one when I had dreads to stretch washes, but it's since worn out. But I found a cute piggy one in the cabinet, so I can use that for deep conditioning.

littlemiss
December 7th, 2011, 08:03 AM
I use mine between wash days when I dont want to get my hair wet

Mina17
December 9th, 2011, 03:28 AM
I get packages of them at the dollar store to use for when I shower and don't want to wash my hair. I also use them for deep conditioning treatments. They are disposable but I reuse them a few times.

Rockferry
December 9th, 2011, 04:46 AM
I've been on the hunt for a really cute one. Haven't had much luck finding one that wasn't too much money. lol