PDA

View Full Version : Professional salon dye brands

bumblebums
December 4th, 2011, 02:22 PM
Hi everyone,

A friend stylist outside the US has asked me to find out what hair color/dye brands are used in quality salons in the US. They do not post this kind of information on their websites, but I know there are some stylists who hang out here, so would you mind sharing? In your reply, if you could please indicate the following, it would be particularly useful:

- the brand of the dyes you carry,
- about how much a dye job would cost at your salon (given previously undyed shoulder-length hair, for example)

Thank you!

Miss Catrina
December 4th, 2011, 02:24 PM
I don't know about cost or anything, but I hear a lot about Redken and Wella.

Aveda uses only their own color line. Color on shoulder length previously undyed hair would cost about 40 dollars at my school.

bumblebums
December 4th, 2011, 02:27 PM
I don't know about cost or anything, but I hear a lot about Redken and Wella.

Aveda uses only their own color line. Color on shoulder length previously undyed hair would cost about 40 dollars at my school.

Thanks!

Yeah, the wholesale price of the dyes themselves is not so much an issue--my friend asked specifically about pricier salons and the kind of dyes they use, so I am asking more about the cost of the dye job to the customer.

I got a dye job at an Aveda salon a long time ago, and they were very proud of their custom brand color product, but they absolutely refused to answer any questions about what the ingredients were... and the color came out a kind of dark reddish purple instead of the black I asked for :)

Miss Catrina
December 4th, 2011, 02:30 PM
Thanks!

Yeah, the wholesale price of the dyes themselves is not so much an issue--my friend asked specifically about pricier salons and the kind of dyes they use, so I am asking more about the cost of the dye job to the customer.

I got a dye job at an Aveda salon a long time ago, and they were very proud of their custom brand color product, but they absolutely refused to answer any questions about what the ingredients were... and the color came out a kind of dark reddish purple instead of the black I asked for :)

That's really peculiar. I don't know about the ingredients other than what percentage is natural (deposit only is 99% natural, permanent of 97%, and our bleach is 93%).

That's interesting the color came out wrong. My teacher tried to dye my hair to absolutely GREY, and instead all that happened was my hair went one shade lighter and way more orange... kind of the opposite of the desired effect. I feel like the more natural ingredients make for some strange, unpredictable results sometimes. That or they might have accidentally used too strong a mix of peroxide in yours... hmmm.

bumblebums
December 4th, 2011, 02:33 PM
That's really peculiar. I don't know about the ingredients other than what percentage is natural (deposit only is 99% natural, permanent of 97%, and our bleach is 93%).

That's interesting the color came out wrong. My teacher tried to dye my hair to absolutely GREY, and instead all that happened was my hair went one shade lighter and way more orange... kind of the opposite of the desired effect. I feel like the more natural ingredients make for some strange, unpredictable results sometimes. That or they might have accidentally used too strong a mix of peroxide in yours... hmmm.

Actually, this sort of rings a bell--I think they didn't so much refuse to say what the ingredients were but just kept repeating that they were mostly natural, without giving any more details. I suspect they didn't necessarily know the ingredients themselves. But the color was really the only complaint I had about that experience--it didn't stink, and it didn't cause any irritation or evident damage to my hair.

summerjade
December 4th, 2011, 02:38 PM
I have a friend with a beauty shop, she is using SoColor by Matrix at the present time and she charges $80.00 for a one color haircolor. She has used the CHI brand that is good also and charges the same amount for that color also.

bumblebums
December 5th, 2011, 08:41 AM
I have a friend with a beauty shop, she is using SoColor by Matrix at the present time and she charges $80.00 for a one color haircolor. She has used the CHI brand that is good also and charges the same amount for that color also.

Great, thanks! I've never heard of either of these. Is CHI also the maker of the hair irons?

luxepiggy
December 5th, 2011, 01:09 PM
I'm not a stylist, but I recently spent quite some time researching hair colour options, and Framesi, Wella, L'Oreal Professionals & Redken show up frequently in San Francisco's high-end salons. Single process tints start around $100, and highlights/lowlights start around $200. Extra costs for longer hair, colour correction, etc.

jacqueline101
December 5th, 2011, 02:44 PM
Wella and redkin are two there is roux temporary rinse

bumblebums
December 5th, 2011, 04:58 PM
Gaah, LHC ate my post.

I'm not a stylist, but I recently spent quite some time researching hair colour options, and Framesi, Wella, L'Oreal Professionals & Redken show up frequently in San Francisco's high-end salons. Single process tints start around $100, and highlights/lowlights start around $200. Extra costs for longer hair, colour correction, etc.

Fantastic, thank you!

Wella and redkin are two there is roux temporary rinse

Thank you! Funny name for a hair product--I think of roux as something to put in gumbo, not on my head :)

kwaniesiam
December 5th, 2011, 05:27 PM
Wella, Goldwell, Redken, Framesi, Paul Mitchell, Joico, CHI, L'Oreal, Clairol Professional...those are what I can think of off the top of my head.

My favorites are Goldwell, Framesi, and Redken.

summerjade
December 5th, 2011, 05:49 PM
Great, thanks! I've never heard of either of these. Is CHI also the maker of the hair irons?

Yes, CHI is the maker of the hair irons and dryers also. Another stylist friend of mine uses Redken and she charges $50.00 for the one color long or shorter hair. I think maybe she charges less because she doesn't have as much experience as my other friend, or maybe because she gets more business in the long run.

amylou
December 7th, 2011, 10:21 AM
Another one is Schwarzkopf.

bumblebums
December 8th, 2011, 10:50 AM
Wella, Goldwell, Redken, Framesi, Paul Mitchell, Joico, CHI, L'Oreal, Clairol Professional...those are what I can think of off the top of my head.

My favorites are Goldwell, Framesi, and Redken.

Nice long list, thanks!

Yes, CHI is the maker of the hair irons and dryers also. Another stylist friend of mine uses Redken and she charges $50.00 for the one color long or shorter hair. I think maybe she charges less because she doesn't have as much experience as my other friend, or maybe because she gets more business in the long run.

Gotcha.

Another one is Schwarzkopf.

Thanks!