PDA

View Full Version : Stretching washes and dry hair.

Shona
December 4th, 2011, 01:39 PM
Hello everyone! :)

So.. i wash my hair around once or twice a week. On the first and second day my hair is fine, a little more greasy, but fine. but the third (+) day but hair is dry and straw like. does it sound like my hair needs more done to it to make sure it 's more hydrated? When i wash my hair i was it with a Lush shampoo bar. On sunday night i put lots of coconut oil in and leave it until my weekly tuesday wash. But am i doing enough? I'm scared to add coconut oil in the week incase my hair looks greasy! i don't know if that's worse than looking dry. And i have no split ends as such, my hair is just crispy, and alot of my hair has broken off, i have no clue what is causing this as i do get microtims all the time!

Also i use no heat, and i do microtrims every 3 weeks or so.

Sorry if my post is confusing. haha i hope someone understands it!:o

beccababesx
December 4th, 2011, 01:53 PM
Maybe try a CO wash in between? Not to cleanse, just wet the length and ends, apply conditioner, and rinse? Or you could oil them daily/whenever they feel dry. I have the same issue and occasionally do the conditioning the length only, but mostly just oil because I'm lazy :p

beccababesx
December 4th, 2011, 01:53 PM
Just realised that's the third comment I've made to you in the past ten minutes - I'm not stalking you honest!! Haha

shikara
December 4th, 2011, 01:56 PM
It could be that another oil would work better?? Do you deep condition? Try this - put oil throughout hair, wet a small or medium size towel with hot water, squeeze a little, put on hair and cover with shower cap for fifteen minutes, and repeat. This process allows the hair to really soak in the oil. You may also want to think avout whether a leave-in conditioner would help. Good luck!

Shona
December 4th, 2011, 02:13 PM
Just realised that's the third comment I've made to you in the past ten minutes - I'm not stalking you honest!! Haha

Hahahahah

It could be that another oil would work better?? Do you deep condition? Try this - put oil throughout hair, wet a small or medium size towel with hot water, squeeze a little, put on hair and cover with shower cap for fifteen minutes, and repeat. This process allows the hair to really soak in the oil. You may also want to think avout whether a leave-in conditioner would help. Good luck!

To be honest i've been too scared to try an other oil. What one would you recomend? I've heard somewhere EVOO is alot heavier on the hair? not sure if that is true. I thought my leaving my coconut oil in for two two nights and a day was deep conditioning?:o Oh my!

einna
December 4th, 2011, 02:35 PM
I have dry hair and stretch washes. What works for me is putting some water (just dampen slightly) on my ends, then oil (I use EVVO or coconut) or a diluted conditioner. Sometimes I make mix up some products like AVG (not in winter though), oil, CO and water, and spray it on with a spritzer bottle.

einna
December 4th, 2011, 02:40 PM
I thought my leaving my coconut oil in for two two nights and a day was deep conditioning?:o Oh my!

Oil is fat, not moisture, so it is only moisturizing if you use it to lock in water/moisture with. Coconut oil mostly coat and protect the hair shaft and add fats to it (like sebum). It can sometimes penetrate the hair shaft, but will only do so it there is nothing else coating the hair, like CO or styling residues.

haibane
December 4th, 2011, 02:52 PM
I mist my hair when it gets dry like that. Then usually damp bun to allow the moisture to absorb.

allio21
December 4th, 2011, 02:58 PM
just use a small bit of coconut oil. I usually take a little bit and rub it together in my hands and comb through the length. it might look a little greasy at first but it usually absorbs after a few hours.

ladyshep
December 4th, 2011, 08:03 PM
You could try Tresseme no wash shampoo. Find the one for your type of hair. It is great for in between washes and brings the hair back to life.:)

Kelikea
December 4th, 2011, 08:05 PM
You can clarify and then add a little coconut oil to your shampoo, that way it will be absorbed into the hair shaft. Otherwise, I agree with either a CO or a leave in.

SoulOfTheSea
December 4th, 2011, 10:09 PM
I thought that was normal? That's what I've been reading on LHC all this time, anyways. Everyone's comments that I've read on previous threads and what not had always said that on the first two days or so after washing, the hair is soft and shiny. Then on the third day and beyond, it tends to be more dull and lank, and for wavies the hair gets straighter when it gets dirtier. Honestly I think it's normal from what I've read.

sycamoreboutiqu
December 4th, 2011, 11:46 PM
I think you have something else going on - sounds like a clairfying is in order or possibly you are using products with too much protein in it. That can cause dry, crispy ends.

I have gradually stretched to 7 or 8 days now and my hair feels nearly the same on day 7 as it
does on the 2nd, unless I have been adding a lot of leave ins through the week, the it does get dirtier faster.

sun-kissed
December 5th, 2011, 12:13 AM
I did coconut oil for a few months, and found that it dried my hair out, making my ends crunchy and straw-like. I mostly just go without oil now... out of laziness, to be honest. Lol.

But when my hair is feeling dry (usually happens around day four) I'll often mist it with water or Rooibos tea and damp bun, which results in soft and lovely hair for another two days. If I feel that I need to oil, I'll mist and add a little EVOO on the very tips. Both methods work very well, I don't believe I've ever had trouble with the small amount of EVOO weighing down my fine hair.