PDA

View Full Version : I'd do anything for my hair, but I won't do that...

Pages : [1] 2

Rybe
December 4th, 2011, 12:12 PM
After reading all the amazing advice around here, and picking and choosing which ones to follow, I'm curious where the rest of you draw the line!

For me, it's shocking your scalp with cold water at the end of your shower. I will never. Ever. Do this. I Had two apartments in a row with showers that would do this to me weather I wanted them to or not. Showering from October-May then became a dreaded task. My hair was pretty healthy those years, yes, but that may have been because showering became a dreaded task, and resulted in me stretching showers and becoming a greaseball because I didn't want to step into the evil coldness generator :p

So where's the line for you? Preferably for non-financial or health related reasons! I'm sure many of us can't (or don't want to) afford certain things, and certainly don't want to rub things we're allergic to on our heads....:D

Orangerthanred
December 4th, 2011, 12:16 PM
Wear it up at school. *cringe* I have a round face shape, I'd look like a moon-face with my hair up. Plus my face has literally no fat, my cheeks are bony.. no one needs to see that.

Wash it with cold water. My house is already cold, I don't need to freeze my skin off showering.

auroraclio
December 4th, 2011, 12:17 PM
Stretching washes, I refuse to go more than 3 days, ick

spidermom
December 4th, 2011, 12:17 PM
Go WO, or worse yet NW/SO. Ewwwwwwwwwwwww!
I like my hair clean and fragrant.

isabelx
December 4th, 2011, 12:20 PM
Ergh I couldn't wash it with cold water. I couldn't go more than three days without washing either. I couldn't do CO or not use shampoo either.. wow I am rather picky :D

Yozhik
December 4th, 2011, 12:24 PM
There was some thread a year or two ago about hair lightening by using urine. :scared:

Not that I want to lighten my hair, but not even for the most gorgeous hair in the world would I put urine on my head.

Other than that, I don't know, I probably wouldn't put bacon grease on my head.

NymphSpirit
December 4th, 2011, 12:29 PM
I always do the cold water rinse, I love it! haha :) As for the line, I don't know... I can't think of anything I wouldn't do to make my hair pretty... Ok, that sounded macabre, hahaha

Edit: Ok, thought of something, I would never, NEVER put eggs on my head, I think I'd vomit............

Amber_Maiden
December 4th, 2011, 12:31 PM
I will never use a product that is not organic, and mainly natural, on my head, or my body for that matter.

ravenreed
December 4th, 2011, 12:38 PM
I won't WO, use a cold water rinse, or be seen when my scalp hair looks greasy or oily. No urine, or eggs, either.

Freckled.Thing
December 4th, 2011, 12:40 PM
I've recently decided that stretching washes is not for me. I'm a teenager and my hair gets very greasy very quickly. I don't care if sebum is good for my hair, I have to do to class every day and I don't want to look repulsive!

(not saying that everyone who stretches washes looks repulsive, it's just because I have the same ultra-greasy hair that my mom had when she was a teenager)

spidermom
December 4th, 2011, 12:40 PM
I don't think I'd do anything that has been mentioned in this thread so far!
I also wouldn't rub cootchie cream (monistat) into my scalp, even if I could get an inch of hair growth a day.

RapunzelKat
December 4th, 2011, 12:42 PM
Hmmm... I would never put anything in my hair that made it smell nasty, unless I could wash it out right away. No way will I go around with bad-smelling hair. :p
I also won't adopt a wash routine that leaves my hair feeling limp and greasy. So, unless my hair gets much dryer in the future, no CO or WO washes for me :)

Madora
December 4th, 2011, 12:44 PM
Use anything other than a pure bbb on my hair.

jojo
December 4th, 2011, 12:47 PM
I wouldn't back comb or use a horrible hair brush with bobbles on the ends!

iszolda111
December 4th, 2011, 01:04 PM
I don't think I'd do anything that has been mentioned in this thread so far!
I also wouldn't rub cootchie cream (monistat) into my scalp, even if I could get an inch of hair growth a day.

Man, If I could get an INCH of hair growth a day there is a limited number of things I would not rub into my scalp! All of them are a lot more repulsive than monistat lol.

I second that though. I wouldn't put monistat on my head, unless it actually did give me an inch of growth a day lol

Jing
December 4th, 2011, 01:07 PM
WO or NW/SO. My hair would be flat as a pancake, and I look terrible with flattened hair.

There are also things I won't ever do again, like put bananas or avocado in my hair. Ye gods that kind of stuff if hard to get out, feels nasty and does little to nothing.

amberpotamus
December 4th, 2011, 01:10 PM
Onion juice. I've read it increases hair growth, but--seriously? Someone actually put that on their scalp to figure that out? Forget hair length, I'd be like Rapunzel because someone would lock me in the tower to confine the stench!

Annibelle
December 4th, 2011, 01:16 PM

Same here! I did WO for a month and was so unhappy with my hair every day. It didn't look AWFUL-- it looked like I had just gone an extra day without washing-- but there were NO good hair days in that month and it just wasn't worth it for me. I decided that I'd keep experimenting and hopefully find something that didn't have such an awful transition.

There was some thread a year or two ago about hair lightening by using urine. :scared:

Not that I want to lighten my hair, but not even for the most gorgeous hair in the world would I put urine on my head.

Ewwww. I wouldn't do either of those. :puke:

I always do the cold water rinse, I love it! haha :) [snip]
Edit: Ok, thought of something, I would never, NEVER put eggs on my head, I think I'd vomit............

Same for the eggs. I don't really ENJOY the cold water rinse, but I don't hate it, either. I've grown used to it... as long as I blast hot water on my body immediately after! :)

supbanana
December 4th, 2011, 01:19 PM
There's not much I wouldn't do with natural products. I draw the line at things I feel would cause damage, especially backcombing, blow drying (and other assorted heat products). I guess I wouldn't put urine, feces, blood, placenta, or other such materials on me. I'm also not a huge fan of chemical masks or serums, preferring herbs and veggies and other such 'hippie' stuff.

(I really hope this comment doesn't come across as offensive. What other people put on their hair is fine by me, everything I wrote pertains to me and only me.)

trolleypup
December 4th, 2011, 01:38 PM
Do regular S&C...the hair would be nice, but I would have the Scalp Of Anger! But my normal backsliding WO routine works pretty well for me.

Miss Catrina
December 4th, 2011, 01:42 PM
Go WO.

Go CO (tried that, did NOT go well).

Wear it up literally always (when it's long enough to put up at all).

Rybe
December 4th, 2011, 01:51 PM

:puke:

Okay, I amend my original post. I will not wizz in my hair. Or any ...leavings. Or any animal fats either...but that's mostly because I'm practically vegetarian anyway. Emu oil always makes me think of emus and be sad. Even if it's supposed to be great...

beccababesx
December 4th, 2011, 01:55 PM
I'm going to be honest - if it made my hair look better, I'd do it. Yes, if you guys told me massaging dog poo into my roots would give me volume and shine, I'd be right there with the doggy bag :p

Annibelle
December 4th, 2011, 01:57 PM
I'm going to be honest - if it made my hair look better, I'd do it. Yes, if you guys told me massaging dog poo into my roots would give me volume and shine, I'd be right there with the doggy bag :p

:puke: You're much braver than I am!

Mina17
December 4th, 2011, 01:59 PM
I wouldn't stretch washes more than a couple of days, water only, or sebum only.

RapunzelKat
December 4th, 2011, 02:06 PM
Man, If I could get an INCH of hair growth a day there is a limited number of things I would not rub into my scalp! All of them are a lot more repulsive than monistat lol.

I second that though. I wouldn't put monistat on my head, unless it actually did give me an inch of growth a day lol

Lol, I agree! If I could get an inch of growth a day, I would be willing to expand my standards a LOT :D I would do the monistat for an inch a day, but probably not for anything less.

Rybe
December 4th, 2011, 02:06 PM

I see a new reality TV show. Fear Factor: What are you willing to put on your head? :cheese:

:D:D:D

Orangerthanred
December 4th, 2011, 02:07 PM
Put so-called 'organic' products in my hair. Last time I did, I smelled like a mixture of carrots and wax.

I'm fine with using no products but conditioner...

battles
December 4th, 2011, 02:20 PM
Monistat. I've been weirded out by that since the first day I got here. :p

HairFaerie
December 4th, 2011, 02:29 PM
I won't wash/rinse in cold water. Nope. No way. I like hot showers and I wash/rinse my hair in hot water. There's no way I am using warm or cool water!

(Nice Meatloaf song reference for the title, BTW!) :)

Tota
December 4th, 2011, 02:33 PM
I would never ever give up my shampoo. I do follow a lot of hair care tips here, but WO is just too much for me.

Yozhik
December 4th, 2011, 02:48 PM
A bit OT, but did anyone else read this title and think of this song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYE-a0gGCnM&feature=related)? :p

XcaliburGirl
December 4th, 2011, 02:58 PM
I agree with not applying many of the gross things that aren't made for putting on hair that have been previously mentioned.

I wouldn't do sebum only, even if I got over the dislike of not washing, it sounds like a lot of work. Not to mention the transition period.

S&D: too much work without any huge difference. If I happen to see a split and am near my hair shears, then I might snip it.

Shave the little hairs on the back of my neck (there was a thread about that at some point). It makes me itchy just thinking about it, and I like those little wispy hairs.

Rybe
December 4th, 2011, 03:13 PM
A bit OT, but did anyone else read this title and think of this song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYE-a0gGCnM&feature=related)? :p

Aaaahahahahahaha ahahaha that music video...just gave me a whole new appreciation for that song. :rollin:I totally run after deformed vampires(?) who watch me skinnydip...or whatever...why were the cops? What's going on!?

I just like the statement "I would do anything for love. But I won't do that" because it's so hypocritical. BUT YOU JUST SAID- But I suppose "except that" wouldn't be nearly as poetic. Anyway... Back on the topic of hair...

Shave the little hairs on the back of my neck (there was a thread about that at some point). It makes me itchy just thinking about it, and I like those little wispy hairs.

D: Ahg...wouldn't you end up with like...stubble? That would tangle the rest of your hair? That sounds entirely unpleasant and I don't really see a purpose...

pressedflowers
December 4th, 2011, 03:21 PM
Why the hate for cold water rinses? They feel sooooo good. :D

I'd try just about anything I guess, except urine!! But, I would not color my hair with chemical dye ever again.

Annibelle
December 4th, 2011, 03:26 PM
In middle school, for some reason, the pretty girls in my class picked on me because I had hair on my neck. Then one of them piped up and said, "Guys, don't be so mean! Maybe she doesn't know you're supposed to shave it!" Yeah, I didn't! And I still think it's silly! :p

ladyfey
December 4th, 2011, 03:28 PM
Stretching washes, I refuse to go more than 3 days, ick

This exactly for me!

see_turtle
December 4th, 2011, 03:35 PM
Stretching washes here as well.

Rybe
December 4th, 2011, 03:36 PM
Why the hate for cold water rinses? They feel sooooo good. :D

Probably an individual internal thermostat issue. For me I'd be shivering violently for the next hour after having my hair blasted by cold water. It's really not my idea of a good time... Literally teeth chattering, curled up in an electric blanket cold!

iszolda111
December 4th, 2011, 03:46 PM
In middle school, for some reason, the pretty girls in my class picked on me because I had hair on my neck. Then one of them piped up and said, "Guys, don't be so mean! Maybe she doesn't know you're supposed to shave it!" Yeah, I didn't! And I still think it's silly! :p

That's so weird. I didn't think anyone shaved that. I always thought it looked pretty those whispy little hairs on a girls neck, made them look healthier or something to have lots of hair like that. Usually they had nice thick hair too if they had those, I always envied them.

Yozhik
December 4th, 2011, 04:05 PM
[snip] Aaaahahahahahaha ahahaha that music video...just gave me a whole new appreciation for that song. :rollin:I totally run after deformed vampires(?) who watch me skinnydip...or whatever...why were the cops? What's going on!?

I just like the statement "I would do anything for love. But I won't do that" because it's so hypocritical. BUT YOU JUST SAID- But I suppose "except that" wouldn't be nearly as poetic.

:D :D :D
Isn't that a great music video? I have no idea what the message was, and I also totally agree that that statement is completely hypocritical.

Caldonia Sun
December 4th, 2011, 04:18 PM
I'd try just about any method of cleansing, probably already have. But I won't wear my hair up all the time to protect the ends. I'll lop off the dry ends and be done with it.

eezepeeze
December 4th, 2011, 04:37 PM
Sebum only or water only; wash my hair less than once every 5 days. I wash my hair about 2-3 times a week now. I tried stretching to 7 days regularly, but now that I am back at work full time, I just can't let it get that stringy.

FrozenBritannia
December 4th, 2011, 04:53 PM
Hmmm. Well, I don't think I would do WO. I'd never put urine on my head. ANd the or and only time I tried the cold, hot, cold, thing in the shower, I had heart palpitations after and felt like I was going to faint, so nope, that isn't going to happen again.

Dragon Faery
December 4th, 2011, 05:06 PM
I won't do mayonnaise, or vinegar rinses. Even though they make my hair look and feel wonderful, I smell like a sandwich afterwards, and the smell gives me a headache. :P

*Edit: FEEL wonderful, not smell*

CaityBear
December 4th, 2011, 05:12 PM
Stretching washes is impossible for me because it gets insanely greasy after 3 days. Starts getting greasy after one so best I can do is every second day.

And I can't do cold rinses. In the summer months, sure, but in winter it's a task just getting me into the shower either way! And the only way to keep me in is hot water so I stay warm...and then it's hard getting out of the shower and back into the cold. lol

turtlelover
December 4th, 2011, 05:26 PM
I refuse to give up my blowdryer!

Diamond.Eyes
December 4th, 2011, 05:32 PM
I would never do WO. Ever.
I don't judge anyone who does, I just personally couldn't stand my hair if I couldn't wash it with shampoo.

I would also never use emu oil...that stuff creeps me out. I know that they don't hurt the bird, but it makes me think of sweat or something, because it's derived from an emu's skin tissue. shudder:

I'm not too sure about Monistat either. I would feel weird putting something that is made for lady parts on my scalp. :(

Animae
December 4th, 2011, 05:35 PM

You know, one day I was walking about with my best friend, and I said something about the hair forum, and she said " I bet if you read on that hair forum that putting poop in your hair would make it grow faster, you would at least think about doing it"

I don't think I would go WO or Sebum only.

aisha.christine
December 4th, 2011, 05:46 PM
I could never put mayonnaise on my hair. I can't stand mayonnaise as a food product, but to put it on my head?? I couldn't live with the smell. I don't think I would do WO unless circumstances called for it (e.g. I had to choose between food or soap). I simply like my hair to smell good too much to let it sit around and smell like hair :p
Not sure about Monistat. I don't think I could get up enough courage to buy the darned thing.

Mairéad
December 4th, 2011, 05:52 PM
Backcombing. It literally makes me cringe to see someone back comb their hair.

isabelx
December 4th, 2011, 05:54 PM
Backcombing. It literally makes me cringe to see someone back comb their hair.

I agree! shudder:

getoffmyskittle
December 4th, 2011, 05:54 PM
I thought the point of this thread was things that are supposed to be healthy, but are just too weird to do?

I honestly can't think of anything except using sulfate-free shampoo, but that's because my scalp can't deal with it. I never have used Monistat, though.

ladyshep
December 4th, 2011, 07:30 PM
I will never do the no poo thing ever again. My hair got so gross because I have an oily scalp. I like to keep my hair fresh and clean.

MandyBeth
December 4th, 2011, 07:30 PM
NO cold water, insta migraine for 3 days. No natural products, scalp freaks. No stretching washes, cat fine hair looks nasty without daily washing. No permanent dye, PPD allergy and henna wrecks my hair.

papera
December 4th, 2011, 09:19 PM
I don't mind the cold water rinse after washing, but I think I could never do WO or NW/SO. Or mayonnaise, urine (!) or something like that in my hair, eek ... also back-combing, brrr!

But I guess that's up to everybody's own preference.

holothuroidea
December 4th, 2011, 09:31 PM
I could never put something perishable in my hair. Eggs, mayonnaise, fruit, yogurt, animal fat... I can't do it. I would just be imagining microscopic food particles decaying on my head for weeks. No no no, not for me!!

I won't put anything on my hair that's a medication unless I need it, including monistat even though I think it would work for me. It just seems wasteful, I don't know why.

Amraann
December 4th, 2011, 09:55 PM
I cannot do cold rinses.
It tangles my hair.

The urine is a definite NO! Would never try that. That really could not be a real suggestion?

SoulOfTheSea
December 4th, 2011, 10:02 PM

Same here, oh my goodness. :eek:

MissEarlGrey
December 4th, 2011, 10:17 PM
Ignore me!

kwaniesiam
December 4th, 2011, 10:19 PM
Ignore me!

Pretty sure that is exactly what it was referencing ;)

I've recently discovered that I won't put up with henna/indigo to get it black. Chemical dye is so much easier for a multitude of reasons.

holothuroidea
December 4th, 2011, 10:44 PM
I cannot do cold rinses.
It tangles my hair.

The urine is a definite NO! Would never try that. That really could not be a real suggestion?

I get that it's really gross but I'm sure it works. You probably have to let it "age" for about a week or so until it gets stale and turns into ammonia salts.

I'd bleach my hair before I did that, it's basically the same thing.

AnimaSola3o4
December 4th, 2011, 11:00 PM
I looooove cold water rinses. They feel SO good IMO.

I won't go WO. Even if my scalp did produce sebum on any kind of normal basis instead of just the waxy flakes, I don't think I could go WO. I can't even go CO, with the scalp buildup I get. (dandruff, SD)

I also will never again use ACV. I cannot stand the smell, no way, no how.

Also would never use eggs, mayo, beer.... anything that might need refrigeration, I can't handle on my hair lol.

ETA: OMG no to Urine. I had a job that required me to empty catheters and just.... no way. The thought of it is enough to make me gag.

ArienEllariel
December 4th, 2011, 11:31 PM
I wouldn't back comb or use a horrible hair brush with bobbles on the ends!

I had such an awful dream last night that I backcombed my hair. It caused a ton of breakage... and all for a little "volume". Thank God it was just a dream.

I won't backcomb my hair, put smooshed hot peppers or cinnamon on my scalp (accidentally tried cinnamon once.. ooh my scalp burned) or urine- ewww! I will not straighten it or use lots of bleach on it. I have considered mildly bleaching it but I'm just not sure I could handle the guilt and subsequent breakage resulting in a shorter length. I will not go NW/SO. I will not eat gross concoctions to help make my hair grow or take extra suppliments.

ArienEllariel
December 4th, 2011, 11:35 PM
I agree with not applying many of the gross things that aren't made for putting on hair that have been previously mentioned.

I wouldn't do sebum only, even if I got over the dislike of not washing, it sounds like a lot of work. Not to mention the transition period.

S&D: too much work without any huge difference. If I happen to see a split and am near my hair shears, then I might snip it.

Trim? perhaps. Shave? NEVER. :eek:

sun-kissed
December 4th, 2011, 11:57 PM
Hey, if it works and is safe(e.x. won't rot, cause scalp infections, etc), I'd be willing to try it... :D
I don't think I would do urine, but I imagine it'd be just as harmful as chemical lightening, anyways, so it doesn't count in my mind.

sunshine-locks
December 5th, 2011, 12:54 AM
This is OT, but would it be alright to do no-poo with short,straight, fine hair? thanks n.n

PolarCathy
December 5th, 2011, 01:07 AM
Funny to read all the WO comments (I am WO). Well I would clearly do that, but I would never bleach my hair, or use chemical dye/get a perm. No way.

maria_tasha
December 5th, 2011, 01:18 AM
I would never WO as I have a greasy scalp, use urine, use a straightener or use henna again(too much of a mess for me).

LovingLife
December 5th, 2011, 01:31 AM
Burn off my split ends.
Its just never gonna happen!

ArienEllariel
December 5th, 2011, 03:59 AM
Burn off my split ends.
Its just never gonna happen!

Oh gosh, that is an absolute "never in a million years" thing for me.

pepperminttea
December 5th, 2011, 04:12 AM
I feel sure I read something a while back about a thread on using semen as a protein treatment. No thanks. :p

Urine, well, if it was mine who knows. I'd use it to neutralise a jellyfish sting, but for hair probably not. I'd have to be well-hydrated that day!

Monistat is too far for me. I don't need my hair to grow faster that much. Ditto to mega-dosing on Biotin unnecessarily.

The NW/SO and WO comments are a bit saddening. NW/SO is a no for me, purely because I love water and swimming, and no swimcap is that good. I don't think it's gross or an "ewww!" thing, it's just something different. :shrug: (And as much of a mental adjustment as a physical one, IMHO.) WO didn't work for me a few years ago when my scalp was in 'teenage oil fest!'-mode, but if my scalp changes as I age I wouldn't rule it out, if I could get it to work for me at a later stage. :)

Lissandria
December 5th, 2011, 04:30 AM
Think the only thing I couldn't do is put an egg in my hair as a protein pack- I love eggs to eat but the smell of raw eggs makes me dry retch. There's nothing else other than urine or poo I don't think I wouldn't try.
Undecided about WO. I don't want my hair texture to change and I'm skeptical that it would work for me, but I also find it interesting. I don't find it especially gross though. Its probably the most natural thing you can do for your hair, just not sure it's for me.

LovingLife
December 5th, 2011, 05:25 AM
Think the only thing I couldn't do is put an egg in my hair as a protein pack- I love eggs to eat but the smell of raw eggs makes me dry retch. There's nothing else other than urine or poo I don't think I wouldn't try.
Undecided about WO. I don't want my hair texture to change and I'm skeptical that it would work for me, but I also find it interesting. I don't find it especially gross though. Its probably the most natural thing you can do for your hair, just not sure it's for me.

I KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU MEAN!
Egg smell just makes me feel queasy in my stomach!

amylou
December 5th, 2011, 06:26 AM
I'm okay with splashing at least the ends with cold water after my showers. I do that anyway. What I can't do at this time is skipping shampoos. Maybe I can do it in the future, but not for now.

freckles
December 5th, 2011, 06:35 AM
I won't give up my blowdryer, not completely. I know it's really bad for my hair, I just can't do it. I've tried the last few winters. When it's cold, I need it. Sorry, LHC!

I won't do monistat. The reports of headaches really freak me out.

And I won't do megadosing on vitamins.

I would also never use emu oil...that stuff creeps me out. I know that they don't hurt the bird, but it makes me think of sweat or something, because it's derived from an emu's skin tissue. shudder:

I don't know why you think they don't hurt the bird? I mean, emu oil is oil made from emu, isn't it? How else would they get it without killing it? :confused: It's quite possible that I've totally gotten the wrong end of the stick and emu oil has nothing to do with emus of course ...

Clelia
December 5th, 2011, 07:22 AM
WO, NW/SO
I love washing my hair way too much, and I enjoy buying shampoo... I also love the smell/feel of freshly washed hair.

As for eggs... I love them. They don't smell great... but add mustard, olive oil, henna or German quark and it's fine. Great, now I'm getting hungry XD

Anlbe
December 5th, 2011, 07:37 AM
Using human bodily fluids of any type, and it turns out not highlighting my hair. As for everything else, hey it's worth trying.

Nae
December 5th, 2011, 07:38 AM
I wouldn't do anything that has a transition time longer than a week. I just can't do it. Other than that all bets are off. (Although I haven't tried the monistat thing, since I am afraid of headaches.)

Gothchiq
December 5th, 2011, 07:56 AM
I would not go without shampoo or put raw eggs on my head. lol. Lots of people do these things no problem, but it's not for me!

Ashenputtel
December 5th, 2011, 08:25 AM
Like many I could never put monistat on my hair. Why would you want to do that?

Over streching my washes is also a big no. I feel unconfortable when my hair looks really greasy in public.

Wearing my hair up all the time I just can do. I grow long hair because it suits me well.

S&D is way too time consuming for me.

I would never do the challenge to not cut my hair. I cut minimum half and inch every three months and my hair still gets longer, and healthier!

I would never put food in my hair other than tea and honey. Avocado and banana no way.

I think ACV smells awful that's also a big no.

Every other wash method than S&C is a big no. I would also never go back to commercial products. I'm way to happy with my natural products to go back.

beccababesx
December 5th, 2011, 09:22 AM
I thought the point of this thread was things that are supposed to be healthy, but are just too weird to do?

I honestly can't think of anything except using sulfate-free shampoo, but that's because my scalp can't deal with it. I never have used Monistat, though.

Yeah that's what I thought like, even if it's AMAZING I wouldn't do it because it's ____ (gross, or I don't like that, or I love my blowdryer too much, etc). I wouldn't use shampoo, or heat, or bleach, or perm, or brush roughly either :p

gretchen_hair
December 5th, 2011, 09:30 AM
I would not use Urine or Semen on my hair.

I would not apply used grease of any kind to my hair.

I would not go WO or NW unless I have no product to wash my hair with and can't obtain any or that I have no access to water.

Lianna
December 5th, 2011, 10:24 AM
I wouldn't let my hair smell bad from trying to stretch washes. I don't sleep in twin rope braids to get nice curls because it hurts my head.

BlondieHepburn
December 5th, 2011, 11:38 AM
Ha, this is a really funny thread. It's interesting to see what others wouldn't ever do.

As for me, I used to be weirded out by egg on my head. Until I tried it. The texture was amazing! So I've gotten used to it. (I almost always add other things, e.g., yogurt, essential oils, etc.) I use regular vinegar as a final rinse (and then the dreaded cold water!), but I dilute it: 1 part vinegar to 4 parts herbal tea (or plain water), and 4-5 drops essential oil. Sandwich smell is nonexistent. The vinegar and the cold water finale are the two things that have most improved my hair in the last few months!

I would never use: urine, monistat, heat, dye, or any products which have caused harm to animals. And I am afraid I shall never be able to get away with WO (though my life would be much easier!).

darklyndsea
December 5th, 2011, 02:23 PM
Heh. My brother has SL+ hair and doesn't shower often, so I said something to him about using a BBB to distribute his sebum...and he misheard it as semen. (Is this a real treatment that somebody's tried? I should tell him if it is!)

If it somehow turned out that we were all wrong and washing your hair every day made it grow very fast and healthy, I still wouldn't wash every day. I don't have 5 hours per day to spare.

owlathena
December 5th, 2011, 03:46 PM

This^^^^^^

cuddledumplin
December 5th, 2011, 05:03 PM
Hair singeing, anything involving urine or faeces, sebum only, stretching washes and wo are no-gos for me. I'm sure there are more that I'll think of after I post this.

Roscata
December 5th, 2011, 06:09 PM
I would not:
- damp bun
- use any kind of animal/human secretions/excretions
- go WO or SO
- radically change my diet or take supplements (unless balding was a danger)
- shave my head again
- use a BBB (it makes my hair look really greasy)

Ice~Cold~Wind
December 5th, 2011, 06:13 PM
The absolutely biggest thing for me is stretching washes. I cannot do it. What can I say? I'm a grease ball. :P

Helix
December 5th, 2011, 06:15 PM
Why is that sappy song by Meatloaf stuck in my head now?....

Ice~Cold~Wind
December 5th, 2011, 06:20 PM
Why is that sappy song by Meatloaf stuck in my head now?....

I know! :D Ever since I read the title, it's been playing over and over in my head!

hisprincess
December 5th, 2011, 06:49 PM
I LOVE avocados, eat them everyday... no way I'm wasting one's creamy goodness on my hair!

Other than that, I wouldn't do anything that makes my hair smell bad for more than an hour. And I think I'm a little too vain to keep my hair up all the time-- I'm not very good at updos.

Lissandria
December 5th, 2011, 07:16 PM
I know! :D Ever since I read the title, it's been playing over and over in my head!

Over and over and over in my head, too! LOL

SilentGuardian
December 5th, 2011, 07:31 PM
I would never CO. At this point, anyway.
I have tried a couple times, but I just can't stand a day with greasy hair. My hair is fine as is now, so I see no point in changing my routine.

Maelyssa
December 5th, 2011, 07:39 PM
I draw the line at Water Only or Sebum Only. May work for some people but I'm just not willing to cross THAT line. :D

mrs carol
December 5th, 2011, 07:45 PM
I wouldn't WO or CO. I wouldn't go longer than two days with out washing my hair. No urine or eggs on my head either.

mrs carol
December 5th, 2011, 07:49 PM
I won't go more than two days with out washing my hair. Also wouldn't do any of the things already mentioned.

Jesabel
December 5th, 2011, 08:00 PM
Could never CO wash or do WO, my scalp is way too greasy and I'm not sure I'd ever get out of the transitioning phase haha. I can't imagine the build up of oil and itchies! Goes without saying I wouldn't try urine or anything, though I have tried eggs and mayo :p

CurlyNaomi
December 5th, 2011, 08:27 PM
Sébum only and WO. I hate when my hair feels dirty. I tried WO before and it just left my hair feeling weird... kind of greasy...Got to wash my hair again the day after, pretty useless for me, when I can just wait for one more day to have clean hair...

ellen732
December 5th, 2011, 08:36 PM
I have to say that I would never SO, not even try.

jacqueline101
December 5th, 2011, 08:36 PM
I couldn't go cold water or urine on my head that's nasty.

hermosamendoza
December 5th, 2011, 09:40 PM
Hahha all this talk pf pee remimds me of when i was a kid. One time my grandma tried to offer this lady at the beach sunblock amd she said no thanks when i'm done in the sun i pour pee over my skin amd it takes the sting out...the very next week i got a horrible sunburn on my tummy (mind you i was 7) and so i peed in a cup and ran it over my belly.....it helped if it makes it any less gross i've never done it again lol...

My grandma was so e,barrasses when i told her a few months ago about that. I guess she forgot how young i was when she told me that.

I'll try anything once....except the joke about poop....bbut i guess no mayo. I got a headache amd threw up after using hair mayo once..well it was kraft, lol.

pressedflowers
December 5th, 2011, 09:43 PM
Probably an individual internal thermostat issue. For me I'd be shivering violently for the next hour after having my hair blasted by cold water. It's really not my idea of a good time... Literally teeth chattering, curled up in an electric blanket cold!

Hmm, very true now that I think about it! I'm ALWAYS hot. If the temperature of the room is above 71 or 72 F, I am warm. So a "normal" hot shower for me makes me very overheated and sometimes a bit light-headed. So the cold water at the end makes me feel so good and cools my skin and my body down. Plus my hair loves it. :cool:

1hunky5monkeys
December 5th, 2011, 10:58 PM

This exactly.

Chamy
December 6th, 2011, 02:34 AM

This was what i was thinking about! Never!:doh:

duchesswannabe
December 6th, 2011, 04:36 AM
Could never CO wash or do WO, my scalp is way too greasy and I'm not sure I'd ever get out of the transitioning phase haha. I can't imagine the build up of oil and itchies! Goes without saying I wouldn't try urine or anything, though I have tried eggs and mayo :p

I am all for stetching washes if your scalp and hair type can handle it, and I do it, but I can't understand the WO or SO. If you wash your body, wouldn't it stand to reason to wash your scalp with some type of cleanser as well? Your scalp is your skin, after all, and it is, for lack of a better word, smothered under your hair, so wouldn't even a gentle cleanser be good for it?

I tried CO wash once. It was fine for a day or two, then I felt as if I were carrying the Statue of Liberty on my head.

Ice~Cold~Wind
December 6th, 2011, 05:15 AM
I would never CO. At this point, anyway.
I have tried a couple times, but I just can't stand a day with greasy hair. My hair is fine as is now, so I see no point in changing my routine.

I tried that. It didn't do well for my greasy scalp. lol

white.chocolate
December 6th, 2011, 05:47 AM
I draw the border line when it involves my scalp and hair being dirty, greasy and stinky. I would never do a WO (yukky!) or not wash my hair for more than 3 days. Personal hygiene is very important for me and my scalp is still a part of my skin. It's just a matter of finding the right hair products...

bouclée
December 6th, 2011, 05:53 AM
Well, I tried WO and urine (but stopped because my hair didn't like it on a long term basis). I will not try SO, not because I find it disgusting, just because I don't want to risk losing my curls.

What I will never do is using a flat iron or chemical dyes (I never did). Nor will I go back to cones, SLS and non natural products in general.

holothuroidea
December 6th, 2011, 06:47 AM
I am all for stetching washes if your scalp and hair type can handle it, and I do it, but I can't understand the WO or SO. If you wash your body, wouldn't it stand to reason to wash your scalp with some type of cleanser as well? Your scalp is your skin, after all, and it is, for lack of a better word, smothered under your hair, so wouldn't even a gentle cleanser be good for it?

I tried CO wash once. It was fine for a day or two, then I felt as if I were carrying the Statue of Liberty on my head.

I shower daily but I don't wash all of my skin with soap. I only wash parts that need washing when they need it. My skin has fared a lot better for it and there are people with delicate dry skin (me!), eczema, allergies and other skin problems that benefit from a gentle washing method like WO.

And just for the sake of clarity, WO is a washing method with a specific washing technique.

duchesswannabe
December 6th, 2011, 07:12 AM
I shower daily but I don't wash all of my skin with soap. I only wash parts that need washing when they need it. My skin has fared a lot better for it and there are people with delicate dry skin (me!), eczema, allergies and other skin problems that benefit from a gentle washing method like WO.

And just for the sake of clarity, WO is a washing method with a specific washing technique.

I don't wash all of my skin with soap all the time, either, because my skin would rebel against that. I also don't think, although this is off-topic, that over-the-counter emollients (sp?) even go near taking the place of skin's natural oils. I just join with those who use shampoo and conditioner, although I only use it once every 7-10 days.

MandyBeth
December 6th, 2011, 02:16 PM
Oh I'm a die hard Monistat user. But more because of my delightful medications make me prone to fungal infections, and the Monistat keeps my scalp happy instead of a nice fungal infection. I don't think my hair grows any faster than anyone else.

BlondieHepburn
December 6th, 2011, 02:29 PM
I also don't think I could ever commit to wearing it up all the time. What's the point of having long, pretty hair if you can't enjoy it flowing down your back? :p

leslissocool
December 6th, 2011, 02:48 PM
I've done monistat, I've put castor oil on my hair, I've stretched washes to a week, I do cold washes, I oil my hair, I've put bananas, eggs, mayo, avocado on it,I even use metal to massage my scalp. And beer rinses, my hair Loves them! I've pretty much done it all including the DE, honey lightening and lemon.

What I won't do is put vinegar on my hair (or anywhere) since I am allergic, and for the love of God URINE :confused: where on earth did you read that? and WO. I like shampoo and conditioners. I tried CO though!

I guess I'd do anything to have gorgeous hair. People do CRAZY stuff to have pretty hair like put chemical relaxer (I've never done that one, it's an acid that can melt metal people!!!) or perms, bleach and burn it up with heat (the straighter is a death trap for hair). So the way I see it, why not try other bizarre things that won't kill my hair?

I won't put thing that are not hygienic like feces. Or someone's blood (unless it's virgin :bigtongue:). I won't put banana or avocado or egg again though, my hair hated it.

Curly Hermione
December 6th, 2011, 03:00 PM
I can't think of anything that I've heard LHC members doing that I wouldn't do myself. :) That's how obsessed I am.

RedheadMistress
December 6th, 2011, 03:33 PM
- I wouldn't use bone marrow or egg in my hair .

The cold water thing I do with my head upside down, only letting the water touch my lengths, not scalp .

Sometimes I can use cold water on my scalp too, depends how warm I am in general because sometimes it feels goodddd..

Yozhik
December 6th, 2011, 03:44 PM
Leslissocool, here's the thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=50888)about urine as a lightening agent and another (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=80543&highlight=Urine)one about urine as an aid to help indigo to stick.

Definitely not for me, but I do a bunch of other things that people on this thread have said they wouldn't do -- vinegar rinses, egg washes, stretching my hair longer than X amount of time, etc. I've been meaning to give mayo a go, so maybe I'll get around to trying that out someday soon . . .

leslissocool
December 6th, 2011, 04:28 PM
Leslissocool, here's the thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=50888)about urine as a lightening agent and another (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=80543&highlight=Urine)one about urine as an aid to help indigo to stick.

Definitely not for me, but I do a bunch of other things that people on this thread have said they wouldn't do -- vinegar rinses, egg washes, stretching my hair longer than X amount of time, etc. I've been meaning to give mayo a go, so maybe I'll get around to trying that out someday soon . . .

Wow!!! Thanks for the link... That's definitively something I am not willing to do!

Bonkers57
December 6th, 2011, 05:17 PM
Yet another who won't do WO or NW/SO. My scalp is too oily and my hair too fine to go longer than every other day to wash (with shampoo or baking soda.) I actually get sore spots on my scalp if I go for longer than three days without cleaning.

No urine or any other bodily secretions. No food items I'd have difficulty washing out. I won't take diatomaceous earth internally. :puke:

I don't mind COOL showers in the summer, especially after I've been sweating a lot, but I want hot showers when it's cold outside.

A BBB feels good on my head (so does a Tangle Teezer), but I think my hair gets greasy faster if I use them too much.

teal
December 6th, 2011, 06:59 PM
I won't do megadosing on vitamins.

I was reading through this thread thinking, "meh, I do half those things already and the other half isn't that repulsive..." and then I arrived at this. I won't do this either. Some vitamins, yes. Uber high amounts? Uh, no. I like my kidneys and I hope they keep up with me to the end of my days. People think water-soluble means you can have as much as you like... well, it just means it's harder to reach a level of toxicity. Your body still needs to process all that stuff.

darklyndsea
December 6th, 2011, 09:54 PM
I don't care if it's supposedly better for wavy/curly hair, I won't use a comb for detangling, or do any of that "only detangle in the shower" stuff because it just doesn't work for me.

luxepiggy
December 6th, 2011, 10:27 PM
Coconut oil makes my hair amazingly soft . . . but it also made my face break out horrendously. I used the rest of the jar for cooking instead (^(oo)^)v

Cjatje
December 6th, 2011, 10:46 PM
No mayo, no WO SO
But I do the hot cold shower thing, only on my hair :D

And for mt DH when I do his hair, I need to do the tiny hairs in his neck as well

Rilig
December 7th, 2011, 07:44 AM
I wouldn't use anything with animal by-products or anything dangerous, like megadosing on vitamins. And I can't stretch my washes just yet. My hair's too oil prone right now.

Bianca
December 7th, 2011, 08:07 AM
I will never go WO or SO either. But thats about it, I think :p

linnepinne
December 7th, 2011, 08:37 AM
Things I won't do/use:

Bleach or chemical dyes
Urine or poo
Beer
Meat or meat products
Petroleum based oils
Extensions
Chocolate (what a waste!)
Cheese (actual cheese not as in: :cheese:)
Onion or garlic
Beetroot and/or beetroot juice
Coffee
Anything that might hurt (sharp pins, hot spices etc.)

Things I have tried but will NEVER do/use again:

Banana
Avocado
Eggs (too much protein)

Of the Fae
December 7th, 2011, 08:57 AM
I'd never go WO, because my hair would smell like hairfat all the time.. I like to smell like a flower!
And I'd definitely wouldn't cut everything off and start fresh to regain virgin hair, even though sometimes I fantasize about having my natural colour back :P To chop two years worth of growth is just not an option.

dwell_in_safety
December 7th, 2011, 09:06 AM
I would never go SO. Considering WO, but SO? No, thank you.

I'll never backcomb it. Never put bodily waste in it.

cubiczoeconia
December 9th, 2011, 12:19 AM
I won't ever give up my blow dryer or heat styling tools. That being said, I also won't ever give up protective products. I just can't swing not styling my hair as a hairdresser... gotta look the part!

holothuroidea
December 9th, 2011, 06:42 AM
I won't ever give up my blow dryer or heat styling tools. That being said, I also won't ever give up protective products. I just can't swing not styling my hair as a hairdresser... gotta look the part!

There are some hairdressers here that don't use heat to style their hair and they definitely look the part. UltraBella, where are you? :)

Anyway, some hair can tolerate heat styling. If I did it I wouldn't have any hair to talk about. lol

Alaia
December 9th, 2011, 07:45 AM
I won't go WO or SO unless, for example, the world has an apocalypse and there are no longer such things as showers :p And even then it would only be WO after my shampoo and/or clean water ran out :p

I'm a bit icky about putting eggs in my hair, and food items in general. I don't have the same problem with avocados in my mind, though I've never actually tried to use one in my hair, but mayonnaise and yoghurt and stuff? Nope. I don't even like eating mayonnaise that much.

Also the obvious about human waste (or animal waste) as well.

cnd0020
December 9th, 2011, 08:15 AM
Just woke up from a horrible dream where I cut my almost-APL length up to a chin-length bob. Even in the dream, I thought "Noooo!" :bigeyes:

"I won't. Do. That."

starlamelissa
December 9th, 2011, 04:27 PM
Ok my list is long. I won't- give up shampoo, comb only, put eggs or mayo in my hair. I also won't use monist at on my hair unless it seriously makes it grow an inch a night. Also no water/ sebum only or water only. I like sudsing and bright shiney clean roots. I would only give it up if I had a medical reason.

ArienEllariel
December 9th, 2011, 05:02 PM
I won't use extentions. I won't use hairties with those gross metal clamps on them. I won't use a bumpit or anything like that. I won't use a comb only on my hair. Some people can get away with using a fine toothed comb on their hair and no brush. I am not one of those people. My fine hair will snag, snap, and break if I try that.

Curly Hermione
December 10th, 2011, 11:42 AM
OK, after reading the comments that went after mine. I will ammend my statement.
no urine
no mega doses of vitamins
no BBB
basically nothing disgusting, dangerous, or anything that just won't work on my hair. :)

Loviatar
December 10th, 2011, 12:26 PM
I do the cold water thing. I read Igor's article on the hair follicles and thought it would be fun to try. I only do it when I'm washing my hair upside down though. I wouldnt stand under a cold shower!

After an issue with taking forever to get mashed avocado out of my hair, I wouldn't put anything 'not meant for hair' on my hair. Other than oils, which are not specifically for hair alone. I guess that covers mashed veggies/fruit, monistat type things, any excreted matter and more.

I wouldn't do NW/SO, just because I like the feeling of wet hair in summer, but I might try WO. Oh, and I'd never OD on vitamins either.

MasCat
December 10th, 2011, 02:14 PM
When I read about bodily fluids my deranged brain went "urine? well, there are some cultures that use it.. I hear about Eskimos... poo? ugh, nooo, what other things.. Human milk? Why put milk in hair anyway? protein? :))"

Ardellis
December 11th, 2011, 11:04 AM
I draw the line at human or animal waste products.

I doubt I'll ever try WO or SO, but never say never.

Miss Catrina
December 22nd, 2011, 07:28 PM
Never doing WO, or NW/SO.

I've been tempted my monistat but the reports of migraines scare the crap out of me.... Not happening!

holothuroidea
December 22nd, 2011, 09:59 PM
I am adding eating sardines to my list.

I tried but sardines are super gross.

Mearwynna
December 22nd, 2011, 10:10 PM
I tried monistat for a while, it didn't produce headaches in me and I do get migraines so that doesn't scare me.
Amonia (stale urine) no way. That's a nasty way of getting your hair chemicaly bleached. I also do not want to try mayonnaise. I like mayo, but not on the hair. I wouldn't mind avacado or bananna, but I'd rather eat them. I wouldn't mind egg, but I dunno about onion.

Henna Princess
December 22nd, 2011, 11:00 PM
I wouldn't, not trim the ends. I've seen beautiful long hair, but I like it more when it's long and the ends are even. In my opinion it gives it a thick and healthy look.

BeautifulSoup
December 23rd, 2011, 12:18 AM
I wouldn't CO wash, tease, dye my hair and stretch washes.

Sundial
December 23rd, 2011, 01:38 AM
I draw the line at mayonnaise. I have been pretty adventurous and I'm fine with vinegar rinses, tea rinses mister bottle mixes, oils, CO, and have even used mashed bananas and mashed avocados. But mayonnaise? :puke: no, thank you. I don't eat it and will not like to have it anywhere close to me

Jezerellica
December 23rd, 2011, 02:34 AM
Onion juice. I've read it increases hair growth, but--seriously? Someone actually put that on their scalp to figure that out? Forget hair length, I'd be like Rapunzel because someone would lock me in the tower to confine the stench!
Ahahahaha This is hilarious. I thought I had heard it al!! Noooo. Fragrance is important to me. :D I do a final rinse with cold water. No big deal. I would never use monistat just due to the migraine issue. I have enough headaches, but, I would give it a try if it were not for that!! Well, I don't know what it smells like either. :p

C.H.
December 23rd, 2011, 02:36 AM
I have a problem with split ends but I've deemed catnip rinses to be entirely too much effort. Will not give up the tangle teezer. Will not allow fairytale ends no matter how much I want those extra inches. Monistat is a no as well. I don't care that it's a coochie product, just the creamy consistency seems yuck to have in my hair.

dmarie16
December 23rd, 2011, 03:00 AM
I will not use eggs or mayo on my hair. That is just icky to me. :no: NoWO for me because I love fragrant hair. Definitely no to onion juice LMAO!!!! Onions are high in sulfur but I would not want them on my hair. I have seen garlic shampoo---another big NO NO NO!!! I am even scared to try emu oil afraid it will smell of animal fat.

Rosetta
December 23rd, 2011, 03:15 AM
Ditto. :)

Also:
stretch washes more than 3 days
wash with herbs
not trim ends for more than 6 months
put monistat or similar in my scalp
put oil on my hair after washing, as leave-in

(I've actually tried most of these at some point, so I know what I'm talking about...)

Seems a pretty long list, and I'm sure that doesn't even include everything :wink: On the other hand, one thing that seems among the most listed here, eggs on hair, is something that makes my hair look & feel great :) It's just so much more fuss than conventional products, so I don't do it too often.

irishlady
December 23rd, 2011, 03:42 AM
I won't shave my nape hairs, put poo or pee in my hair, backcomb, iron or put something intended for lady bits in my hair...ever.

Shesta
December 23rd, 2011, 03:44 AM
I will not:
- color my hair with henna - even though it could be so beneficial for its strength, I just can't sacrifice my natural coloring
- go WO/SO
- mess with it excessively

Mischamiu
December 23rd, 2011, 05:36 AM
Colour it, go WO, use heat on it, use any "fluids" on it

auburntressed
December 23rd, 2011, 05:41 AM
Well... I would never use urine on my hair, as has been mentioned by some here.

Some of you have also said you would never put mayonnaise in your hair. I thought that myself once, but...

When I was seventeen, my little brothers brought us home some head lice. My mom washed me up with Nix, combed every last strand of my long hair, and stubbornly refused to cut it - for which I was grateful.

The problem is that even after the treatments were done, I kept FEELING like there was still lice on my head. This was likely helped along by the fact that I'd already had an itchy, dandruff laden scalp before the incident. I grew so paranoid and itchy that I gobbed mayonnaise into my hair - having been told that a head full of mayonnaise kills lice. I did this three times, each a week apart.

Yes, it is every bit as absolutely disgusting as you might imagine. And no, I will never do it again, especially since I know now that I can achieve the same result using henna, which I use on my hair anyways.

But yeah, a persistent head lice scare is what caused me to do something I had previously thought I would never do.

TooShort
December 23rd, 2011, 06:02 AM
I would have to agree with SpiderMom. I can not go WO.:eek: My hair doesn't respond well. Wish I could. I could save some money. Also, I have tried the Baking Soda with ACV rinse.. Ya, I am a product girl. However, I no longer believe I have to spend a fortune. I now have a OVC Shampoo with as little of the nasties as possible, conditioniar, a 3 min deep conditioniar, heat protection (I still love my blow dryer) and oil. That's it. I am probably doing everything wrong by some peoples standards but my hair doesn't seem to think so.

Grow Hair Grow..

mariakatija
May 4th, 2014, 06:56 PM
I will never put eggs or beer on my hair willingly! It just seems too gross for me!

Larki
May 4th, 2014, 07:11 PM
I wouldn't go WO or NW/SO. No way.

Sharysa
May 4th, 2014, 07:50 PM
Things I draw the line on: Biological waste or blood/marrow (just no), eggs (waste of a good egg, plus my hair's thick enough), mayonnaise (ick, smell AND texture), back-combing (major frizz!!!) sebum/water-only (scalp is already oily, can't imagine the transition phase), brushing (I like my waves, and my hair might eat the poor brush).

Am I the only one not bothered by the potential smell (or lack of) regarding water or sebum-only? I like nice-smelling hair as much as anyone, but saying the smell of hair is bad is like saying the smell of your skin is bad.

Things I will never do again: Daily washes, coconut oil, non-Dr. Bronner's shampoo, stretching washes, combing my hair every day, and heat-styling.

Scarlet_Heart
May 4th, 2014, 08:09 PM
I didn't read all of the responses and I'm sure this has been mentioned already. But I just can't bring myself to put monistat on my hair.

Nope. :shake:

AmyBeth
May 4th, 2014, 08:13 PM
Anything animal tested or non-vegan. WO or SO would be disastrous for me. Will never give up cones.
I never saw this thread before, and I think it's fun!;)

FallingDarkness
May 4th, 2014, 08:15 PM
No mayo for me. I like to omnom my mayo. To put it on my hair... Ick.
No eggs on my head either.
I wouldn't even dream of using those 'fluids' you guys are talking about on my poor hair... No. Just no. That's wrong.
There are things that I won't do for my hair because of my mom's influence, but if I could I would at least try to go NW/SO. Though greasy and disgusting-looking, I'm sure my hair would be far healthier for it!!!

Tini'sNewHair
May 4th, 2014, 08:22 PM
Love this thread :rockerdud
:writer:After trying a fair few annoying things like BS/ACV/castor oil/olive oil etc., I now have a very simple plain routine and I wont change anymore. Here is my list:

I wont do add anything else to speed up my growth other than pure old fashion >PATIENCE!< :pray:
I never tried cold water rinses but just the thought of it makes me feel cold and I don’t like it! (we are approaching winter but I wouldn’t even do it in summer).:taz:
I don’t like sleeping caps.Bedhair is sexy :silly:
I wont stretch my washes for more than 3/max 4 days, my scalp goes nuts.:rant:
I cant sleep with bun on top of my head, I can fell each hair strand pulling at my scalp argh!:spam:
No henna because I don’t like the maintenance and all the work to keep it up.:bs:

I think that this is IT for my list so far :bow:

Sharysa
May 4th, 2014, 08:38 PM
Oh boy, forgot to add that I'd never wear my hair up all the time. I can't have long hair if I can't wear it down at least SOMETIMES.

molljo
May 4th, 2014, 08:46 PM
I wouldn't do anything to speed up growth. No megadosing on vitamins, no Monistat (not because it's vaginal cream, but because it seems like a lot of smelly, pricy work), no castor oil.

I wouldn't wear it up constantly. I get why people do it, but it's just not for me. I like wearing my down, and I'm not shooting for super lengths.

I wouldn't go back to regular SLS shampoo and coney conditioner every day. Trashed my hair.

I wouldn't henna either. I like red hair on me, but I prefer my natural color. Seems too messy and complicated, even for the great conditioning.

I wouldn't do WO, SO, or CO. I like shampoo too much.

And of course, no excretions of any kind.

chen bao jun
May 4th, 2014, 08:58 PM
Might have responded on this before. Hope not. If I did, it was a long time ago, answers have probably changed.

No henna on my hair. (When I was in France in the 70's,so many girls hennaed and I just couldn't stand the look. Plus I like myself with black hair--or grey hair. Not red--or what I saw in France more, shades of purple and violet).
Actually I will never dye my hair in any way.
I will also never use hair extensions of any kind, ever.
no monistat, no water only, no sebum only. I gave up shampoo for CO, that's as far as I'm going in that direction.
Things I will never do again:
comb my hair. brush it. only fingers for me, thanks. no banana for conditioner (I tried this once, don't ask), no eggs (won't risk scrambled eggs after the banana fiasco), no 'curl' products, no braidouts
No heat, and definitely no chemicals.
and no more cheapie drugstore hairtoys, no matter how pretty.

darklyndsea
May 4th, 2014, 09:19 PM
Any sort of permanent dye, because I am not unlazy enough for that.

Fragrant products whose fragrance lingers after they're rinsed out.

It would take some very extenuating circumstances to make me do anything product-wise to my hair that takes more than a couple of minutes outside of the shower, which eliminates most things. Or do anything that makes my hair dry even slower.

restless
May 4th, 2014, 09:21 PM
While reading this thread I realised there are a lot of things I wouldnt do (WO/SO, stretch washes, monistat or overdose vitamins, treat it like the finest lace and never wear it down, do henna because of my pink-ish skin and the commitment, etc). However, with a recent thread in mind, my initial thought was "I wouldnt give it a name" when reading the title.

Tini'sNewHair
May 4th, 2014, 09:50 PM
haha yea I wouldnt name it either ^^

Jennah
May 4th, 2014, 10:45 PM
I wouldn´t put olive oil on my hair, I don´t care how good it may be.

Just the thought of that smell revolts me. In the salad it´s cool but I don´t want to be smelling that in my hair. Maybe this is because I actually tried this when I was a teenager and left it all night and the next morning I almost :puke: and never forgot that feeling!

I wouldn´t put eggs, mayonaise, avocados, or stuff like that either. :tmi: Just too much.

divinedobbie
May 4th, 2014, 10:57 PM
While reading this thread I realised there are a lot of things I wouldnt do (WO/SO, stretch washes, monistat or overdose vitamins, treat it like the finest lace and never wear it down, do henna because of my pink-ish skin and the commitment, etc). However, with a recent thread in mind, my initial thought was "I wouldnt give it a name" when reading the title.

Yeah giving your hair a name is going a little too far imo...

I'd probably go pretty far if I knew it would be good/help my hair. I personally don't have an aversion to putting eggs or olive oil or anything (except for something like bodily fluids) on my hair. I don't do eggs because I know they don't do anything, and I never had good results with olive oil. I know a lot of people put coconut oil on their hair, what's so different about olive oil?

I definitely would never do NW/SO or WO, unless maybe I didn't have to go to work or school or step out of my room and I was guaranteed great results.

Weewah
May 5th, 2014, 01:23 AM
-the vagina cream, I forgot the name
-keeping track of growth. I have the philosophy that if there's nothing you can do to change something, then don't worry about it
-henna, too drastic for my blonde hair
-I can't think of anything else right now

Dreams_in_Pink
May 5th, 2014, 01:50 AM
Eggs.

I will never do egg rinses EVER. I don't care if it would make my hair incredible, i just won't do it EW. :(

I also wouldn't put any fish products on my hair.

Weewah
May 5th, 2014, 02:27 AM
^Yes! I have to wash my hands every time I get egg on my fingers, I just feel like I'd have salmonella in my hair if I'm rubbing raw egg into it.

Ingrid
May 5th, 2014, 02:43 AM
Onion juice. My mum said she did that when she was young. Left her hair incredibly shiny and reduced shedding but it continued smelling like onion until the hair grew out and she gradually trimmed it off!! shudder:

Raw eggs. It may be wonderful but I heard too many stories of people failing to wash the eggs out with cold enough water and ending up with cooked egg bits and tangles all over their hair :(

Monistat. I'm allergic and hypersensitive to a large number of chemicals so I don't think I'd be lucky with this. Also I believe hair growth is largely dependent on general health so I'm more inclined to think that's a better approach in the long term.

I actually tried NW/SO... It's actually not as gross as people tend to think, if you properly and diligently clean your hair with brushes and combs (very time consuming!). I have a lot of damaged hair (dye and hydral fatigue) so it was beneficial to minimize water exposure for a while. I wouldn't make it a permanent practice for myself though.

Add to the list: fish, meat, excrement... but I don't really see how these may be beneficial to hair to begin with :confused:

two_wheels
May 5th, 2014, 03:29 AM
Love this thread, hadn't seen it before!
- monistat
- WO/SO (scalp can't deal without sulphates)
- naming it (no part of me gets named)
- taking supplements in dosage that is not mainstream approved
- taking supplements that have not been tested
- allowing fairytale ends to develop (gorgeous on others, straggly on me)
- henndigo- never again

two_wheels
May 5th, 2014, 03:32 AM
Onion juice. My mum said she did that when she was young. Left her hair incredibly shiny and reduced shedding but it continued smelling like onion until the hair grew out and she gradually trimmed it off!! shudder:

shudder: shudder: shudder:

Rosa Harris
May 5th, 2014, 03:40 AM
I would love to be able to go SO and I did it in the past almost (I washed a few times in 6 months) because I was so sick and mentally depressed I just did not care about anything and on a lot of extremely strong pain meds. Interestingly my hair was wonderful and seemed to just leap out of my head and was much more full. I would put some lavender essential oil - just a dab - on to smell good. My scalp problems - dryness, itch, sores went away - now they are back along with the washing. I just love the feeling of washing too much to break with it :( I know for most people SO would be really gross but my skin and scalp produces so little oil that it is a problem to wash it. I don't use soap on my skin except in the stinky spots as necessary because of this or I get crazy itches.

no no way to-
raw eggs
Crisco (mum swears by it for skin and hair)
beer
vaginal cremes - well I keep thinking about this even tho the idea grosses me out to rule out fungal problems causing the scalp problems i cant seem to get rid of - get to heal. After all it is just a medicated creme with nothing particularly gross about it other than my mental image of where it should go.
mineral oil
Lanolin (greasy sheep sweat - seriously)
Vaseline or dry scalp and ends (mom swears by this too)
Hair extensions
no combs or brushes
no rubber bands or things that place stress on the hair - I use a bone needle and leather cord to sew hairstyles the ancient way
no chemical processing
no sulfates but struggling with going no-cones
no synthetic fragrances
mayonnaise
want to say never flat iron but that is a current struggle
bone broth
trim my hair - nope - sorry - deal with it - I am going for the natural cavegirl look
pee? i see this in th thread.. seriously some folks do that? gross-out there.
I have not been able to go water only. I miss the conditioner feeling too much and cant get my oils I like to put in out.
Coffee - I'd rather drink it and I tried it once and it stank to high heaven
no teasing/backcombing since it rips the scales off the cuticle really badly damages the hair - even just once
white goat fat as a styling gel (this is part of my archeology stuff = it was used in ancient times - not willing to go that far to recreate mummy do's)
swim in chlorine
lemon juice, orange juice or anything really acidic i
vinegar - I don't want to smell like a salad
baking soda

kganihanova
May 5th, 2014, 06:38 AM
I refuse to do buns. They don't work on me and they hurt. I get their purpose but I just......can't.

coconutinsight
May 5th, 2014, 06:53 AM
- Buns when I leave the house (they don't suit me at all but when I'm home I keep my hair in a bun)
- SO/WO
- Monistat
- Body Fluids :suspect:

neko_kawaii
May 5th, 2014, 07:10 AM
Snake oil and other miracles. Anything that feels like too much time or money. Toys being an obvious exception on both counts.

Jennah
May 5th, 2014, 08:29 AM
I know a lot of people put coconut oil on their hair, what's so different about olive oil?

Well, coconut oil feels like you are at the beach! I think of sand, and waves, and ocean, and suntan oil. And it actually smells delicious at least to me. :)

MaryO
May 5th, 2014, 08:45 AM
I probably won't go more than three days without washing and also not use anything but shampoo (or similar) to clean with. I can think of many other hypothetical things but that's just in my imagination! Haha!

LauraLongLocks
May 5th, 2014, 08:47 AM
I won't go WO or NWSO. I won't do a cold rinse at the end of my shower. I won't go more than 3 days without CO-washing. I can't think of any others at the moment.

lapushka
May 5th, 2014, 08:59 AM
No "household" items for my hair, thankyouverymuch. No mayo, eggs, bananas (no way), avocados, whathaveyou... No WO/SO, as I have SD and that is just going to attribute to it worsening just-like-that! No ACV, or citric acid rinses. No distilled water. No cold rinses afterwards. Basically we just stick to regular WCC and LOC.

Bagginslover
May 5th, 2014, 09:49 AM
Honestly, if there was evidence it would help my hair condtion, and there wouldn't be a permanent smell, I'd try anything as long as it wasn't dangerous. I have a very different view as to what constitutes 'grossness' than most of you though it seems......

proo
May 5th, 2014, 12:10 PM
As a veteran 2-plus year practitioner of NW/SO I must address the preconception of this method as "disgusting" or lacking in personal hygiene - although there is a transition period when one stops bombarding the scalp with product, it eventually calms down and sebum production slows to a manageable point. It's interesting that sebum is perceived as dirty while other oils aren't. Scritching, massaging and preening, along with sebum, provide highly effective cleansing and a very polished and groomed appearance; zero flakes, almost zero shed, zero smell.
Believe me, I NEver thought I'd be cleansing this way, never heard of the concept till learning of it here.
Just sayin, don't knock it without investigation, especially those with shedding issues.

What I won't do: WO (waxy helmet head) and fairytale ends

two_wheels
May 5th, 2014, 12:26 PM
proo, I don't think everyone's answers are necessarily because they find the thing disgusting. Eg I don't think monistat is disgusting because of its original purpose, it's more that I don't like to use any sort of medication in a way that was not intended by the manufacturer. I don't think NW/SO is necessarily disgusting if done properly- if so, I'd be a hypocrite, because I don't use any products on my face for example.

On the whole, bagginslover's approach seems sensible to me: evidence + nonstinky = ok.

meteor
May 5th, 2014, 01:06 PM
I won't go completely WO or NW/SO, unless I'm stranded on an island with limited fresh water or something. I know they work, but I just don't see how these methods are fundamentally better.

I don't think I'll ever go completely organic either, as in avoiding commercial shampoos/conditioners altogether, I just don't see the point. We live in a civilization where whole labs are dedicated to skin and hair-related research, and I want to benefit from their results, why not?

I won't use heat, teasing and other damaging techniques to style my hair, no matter how good it may look. If I can't get that look without heat and damaging tools, then I don't need that look.

Verdandi
May 5th, 2014, 01:29 PM
I'd never go NW/SO, I don't see it as disgusting, I just love water too much :)

CO-washing makes me shed like there is no tomorrow, so that ain't happening either.

I love cold rinses though, and have no problems puttning food items on my hair if it worked. After all, I pour tea in it and put oil there, and I don't really see the difference :)

Monistat isn't going to happen, nor is the inversion method. I want my hair to be as carefree as possible on a daily basis, and those things take time and needs to be done frequently. I'd be all over henna if it was a little less time consuming, for example.

And no urine or other fluids originating from the body
. (Know it was mentioned early in the thread)

Carolyn
May 5th, 2014, 01:35 PM
I refuse to stretch washes. And WO or NW/SO, yes the thought does gross me out. I like clean freshly washed hair. So no, just no. I refuse to henna. No red hair for me. Never again to baking soda and homemade banana conditioner. Epic fails. I have no interest in going the all organic or "natural" route with hair care products. I've tried a few and the results were less than stellar. No fairy tale ends for me.

Skade
May 5th, 2014, 01:43 PM
Castor oil is a no go for me. It was just not worth the effort of getting that sticky thing out of my hair and made me shed like crazy.

ErinLeigh
May 5th, 2014, 02:43 PM
hmmm if i was adventurous I could probably be willing to try a lot of things I suppose but I am boring.
For me, my list is just about me and my personally. I don't find anyone's preferences repulsive. I respect all the gorgeous head's of hair here and their chosen methods.

WO/NWSO (I couldn't keep up with the maintenance or scritching and preening, I break out and feel awful when hair isn't clean by normal wash standards.
BS/ACV (I feel it would be way to harsh on my delicate hair)
Stretching washes more than 1 day (I must wash hair if I shower, only way to stretch for me is to either skip the shower or take a quick bath, therefore I only stretch on days I am huddled at home with no intention of leaving)
Never use a blowdryer (I like the way hair looks with smooth, as it grows and is more easy to control, I am happy to reduce)
Mega dosing on Biotin (the headaches and acne side effects scare me. Plus my kidneys could disown me)
Body Fluids (I get the willys, the smell of pee turns my stomach)
Giving up dye before I am ready (I am already a 41 year old grandmother, I just am not ready to prove it. Gray is gorgeous but I am not ready. I intend to color until I am 60. I will accept the damage that comes with it. That being said, I am learning better methods on how to do it and for that I am deeply grateful)
Backcombing (I would never do this as it just makes me crazy to have hair not perfectly smooth, I didn't think to add it as I feel it would never be posted here as something to so or defend)

That is about it. I haven't really experimented since being here (except for products, oils and cowashing) If something caught my attention though and the reviews were great I am sure I would consider it as long as it was simple. For instance, If someone posted a recipe with mayo, eggs, oils, food etc and I had it all in my kitchen I could see giving a try. Basically if its easy, fun and has no side effects I would be open to it.

The monistat may seem odd at first glance, I have no interest in trying it...BUT if I felt I had a fungus develop on my scalp this would be my first go-to attempt to see if it would help (until I was able to get to a Dr and get results back.)

meteor
May 5th, 2014, 03:20 PM
LOL, sorry, guys, I just can't stop laughing... I was really weirded out why so many people are mentioning on this thread never putting urine in their hair. I mean, why would you even consider that? Then I found this thread: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=50888&page=8 :lol:
I guess, I am not imaginative enough, but I'm sure there are lots of other things I wouldn't want in my hair: like, no ground beef (protein treatment?) or soil (scalp scrub?) or gunpowder (stimulating dry shampoo with sulfur?) or glue (super-hold gel?). The list goes on and on. :lol:

CremeTron
May 5th, 2014, 08:07 PM
I laughed so hard at this, I can't think of anything to add! :)

MadeiraD
May 5th, 2014, 08:20 PM
The cold thing, from what I understand it may actually be bad for hair, and never ever will I sebum only. And I'm not giving up my jet black hair

meteor
May 5th, 2014, 09:16 PM
The cold thing, from what I understand it may actually be bad for hair
I think you are right. If anything, it shocks the follicles on scalp - and very serious shock to scalp can even cause shedding. I just don't know if ice-cold water is enough of a shock for that.

Also, here's a great article on Science-y Hair Blog about the effect of cold and hot water on hair strands: http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca/2014/01/do-cold-water-rinses-make-hair-shine.html
It shows that some hair strands (kinky curly) actually responded badly to cold water, and the "closing cuticles shut" never even happened:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-QHM7WGutbbk/UtF9KRTgh5I/AAAAAAAAAvg/tDZI4zfWGqM/s1600/kinking.jpg
"This is a kinking, curly hair (curl is pencil-sized, kinking is fairly close together) of low-normal porosity in the room temperature, cold, and hot water treatments. In the "before" room temperature photo at left, the cuticle lies closely to the hair. In the cold water photo (middle) the blue arrows indicate elevated cuticle scales where the hair is probably swelling during the shock of the cold water. At right the blue arrows indicate where the hair is swelling in the hot water."

MadeiraD
May 5th, 2014, 09:18 PM
I always figure "about the right temp for my scalp is about the right temp for my hair" because if it doesn't upset my nerve endings (which tell me when living tissue is being damaged) it should be fine on my hair.

Monkshood
May 5th, 2014, 09:21 PM
I can't really think of anything that I would be 100% opposed to, although I can't see myself ever doing SO or NW in a non-apocalyptic scenario.

I'm also not all that offended by the pee thing. Pee is sterile and I drink tons of water, so mine is usually crystal clear and odorless anyway. I wouldn't do it for the same reason that I wouldn't do most things: I can't be bothered. I'm okay with just letting my hair grow at its own pace and just washing + conditioning it as needed.

xoChesleyy
May 5th, 2014, 09:36 PM
I wouldn't backcomb, put breast milk in my hair, or put urine in my hair. I also would never brush my hair aggressively, brush my hair when it's wet, use emu oil or any product that harms an animal, blow dry, chemically color, chemically straighten, or perm my hair.

jacqueline101
May 5th, 2014, 10:00 PM
I don't think I could ever do a blow out, urine, breast milk or wo or sebum only wash methods.

TheHowlingWolf
May 5th, 2014, 10:17 PM
Emu Oil! I would never put emu oil on my scalp. I'm a vegetarian, plus oil from an emu just seems gross. I would also never take fish/krill oil. Again, oil....from fish? weird haha.

Oh and placenta treatments! Or really anything from an animal (other than honey, but my hair doesn't like honey anyway).

Seeshami
May 5th, 2014, 10:25 PM
Feed him cookies and give into his demands.

The Naughty Mess says, "Then I want apples and to be brushed and braided"

......You're a jerk.

In all seriousness a perm. The urine thing is a no go too. No one peed on me when I was stung by jelly fish and I lived so I am pretty sure I can go the rest of my life with out being exposed to urine other then the normal form.

DancingQueen
May 6th, 2014, 12:04 AM
I would never put monist at on my hair. No matter how great the growth supposedly is, I just couldn't do that.

Haybop
May 6th, 2014, 01:25 AM
I didn't think I'd need a list of things I wouldn't do for my hair.... until I read this thread :disbelief

lapushka
May 6th, 2014, 06:05 AM
It shows that some hair strands (kinky curly) actually responded badly to cold water, and the "closing cuticles shut" never even happened:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-QHM7WGutbbk/UtF9KRTgh5I/AAAAAAAAAvg/tDZI4zfWGqM/s1600/kinking.jpg
"This is a kinking, curly hair (curl is pencil-sized, kinking is fairly close together) of low-normal porosity in the room temperature, cold, and hot water treatments. In the "before" room temperature photo at left, the cuticle lies closely to the hair. In the cold water photo (middle) the blue arrows indicate elevated cuticle scales where the hair is probably swelling during the shock of the cold water. At right the blue arrows indicate where the hair is swelling in the hot water."

Very interesting. Thank you for posting!

Stray_mind
May 6th, 2014, 06:43 AM
I wouldn't do a WO or CO, because as i found out, my hair hates it.. I wouldn't wear it up all the time. I like my hair down.

vsvisionz
May 6th, 2014, 06:45 AM
I won't put egg or mayo in my hair. And I can't stretch washes for more the two or three days without feeling just blah. But other then that I've done a lot of weird stuff to my hair so I'm fairly open.

martyna_22
May 6th, 2014, 12:20 PM
Wear it up at school. *cringe* I have a round face shape, I'd look like a moon-face with my hair up. Plus my face has literally no fat, my cheeks are bony.. no one needs to see that.

Wash it with cold water. My house is already cold, I don't need to freeze my skin off showering.
I am in a quite similar situation... except the school I've just finished required us to keep our hair tied. It was absolutely unnecessary and not fair, or so I feel about that. Ugh.

Hibernis
August 4th, 2014, 06:42 PM
I would never put vinegar in my hair. To me, diluted Vinegar is a thing that dissolves bird poop very well, and the smell of it just irritates the heck out of my lungs. Also the association of vinegar with bird poop :disgust:

Nor would I use excrement or anything that goes against my vegetarian lifestyle.

Monistat is a maybe, but the idea of putting an anti-microbial on my head makes me very uncomfortable.

cathair
August 4th, 2014, 07:16 PM
Very interesting about the cold water. I don't do that often, but I will feel no guilt about no doing it now :)

Henna would be the thing I really wouldn't do :demon: :run: Over did the henna tattoos as a teenager. Now I hate the colour of it raw and the colour it leaves, the oil that went with it, the smell or it, the effort of getting it, the way it dried into that powdery green mud, the mess it makes, the permanence of it. I don't care how much thicker or more conditioned it might make my hair feel. I used to hate it so much when people asking me if I had eczema when my henna was fading or when my Indian wedding was. In retrospect it probably looks like I had had a fight with a tomato soup monster.

ETA: I though never wearing my hair down would be something I wouldn't do. But this forum has broken me on that now, it is up pretty much all the time, even at night. It has actually just becoming long enough that it's annoying and in the way down now. Maybe because of reading so many way it could be annoying, I notice it :P I probably wouldn't have noticed otherwise and just damaged it some more.

PraiseCheeses
August 4th, 2014, 08:45 PM
The mere thought of cold-water rinses in my barely-heated apartment in winter makes me shudder.

Monistat is out. I've never even been tempted to try it after reading about the headaches, the shedding upon discontinuing use, and the expense.

Mashed produce as a deep treatment. I tried an avocado once.... never. again.

I also have a rule that once my hair starts to prevent me from doing things I really want to do and enjoy doing, it's not worth it. I'll take useful precautions (oiling and braiding before swimming in the ocean, etc.) but the second my hair or my routine interferes with normal activities, it'll be cut to a functional length. So far, so good! :)

I'm also not giving up my daily coffee. NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE.

jextxadore
August 5th, 2014, 05:49 AM
I wouldn't put anything in my hair that wouldn't come out with a simple W/O (+ vinegar rinse) wash.

StellaKatherine
August 5th, 2014, 06:02 AM
I really have no idea what I would never try on my hair.. Hmm.. I kinda can't make myself use vinegar rinse. I just hate that smell... The thought of my hair smelling like that... ewww... ;)

Nellon
August 5th, 2014, 06:10 AM
Hrmm.. About the song.. Does anyone know what he means by "I won't do that?" Could refer to any number of things! ;)

Aaaand back to hair: I would never put snaggy snaggy hairtoys in it. I'd never tease it and put tons of hairspray in it. I'd never use heat (apart from blowdrying when it's cold outside and I'm in a hurry). I'd never bleach it.

I'd never dye it black, then bleach it for hours trying to get back to blonde, then regret what ended in orange and dye black again, only to months later think, hrmmm, "what if I bleach it and go blonde?" ;)
I'd never give myself random layers with my mum's nail cutting scissors late in the night when drunk and bored...
I'd never (hopefully) cut a fringe again.
Aaaaand: I'd never shave the sides of my hair, bleach the rest and dye it with manic panic poppy red and sport a red mowhikan :D

Some of these I might have been found guitly of before... :eyebrows:
Oh hair, so many of the sins of youth I succumbed you to I hereby swear to never do again ;)

StellaKatherine
August 5th, 2014, 06:46 AM
Nellon, I thought we were supposed to say about so called "good" things that we won't do ;) But yeah many of yours I won't ever do.. I am not as strict for a highlights thow.. I may or may not do those ;)

Nellon
August 5th, 2014, 08:06 AM
Nellon, I thought we were supposed to say about so called "good" things that we won't do ;) But yeah many of yours I won't ever do.. I am not as strict for a highlights thow.. I may or may not do those ;)

Right... haha! I'm a mess! Good of you to come and put me in my place ;) Oh well...
I like highlights too, if I was wanting to go blonde I might get those.
Oh my, I really just went ahead being a happy rhinocerus here, didn't I? Totally missing the aim of the thread. Yeeha!

StellaKatherine
August 5th, 2014, 08:30 AM
Nellon, And I am the one who killing the joy like always :laugh:

Nellon
August 5th, 2014, 08:35 AM
Nah! No way! You're so sweet!!

I wouldn't put monistat in my hair... cos I'm scared more hair will fall out once I stop... And olive oil I don't do, hard (impossible) to get out with CO. Apart from that I'd do anything (once at least) :)

(And if you see my signature, about foot+mouth, now that was an example lol)

leilani
August 5th, 2014, 10:03 AM
I won't wear it up to protect it. I wear it up when I feel like having it up. No sleep bonnets either, talk about a granny look, my husband doesn't deserve to crawl into bed next to me looking so fusty. Plus hats of any kind make my scalp itch.
I also won't S&D. I have too much dang hair.

leilani
August 5th, 2014, 10:04 AM
Also I won't avoid swimming because of my hair.

GetMeToWaist
August 5th, 2014, 10:31 AM
I won't:

Stretch washes more than 4 days max
S&D (no patience)
ACV rinses (ew I hate vinegar)
NW/SO (bleurgh)
WO
Use hairsticks (spin pins are just so much easier)
Wear buns all the time
Do treatments anymore (over that one. Just letting it grow is so much easier. Oil never did anything for my hair.)

Duchess Fuzzy Buns
August 5th, 2014, 10:47 AM
I just watched a video about using lube (as in KY) in your hair as a frizz fighter.... I'm still debating whether I will or will not try that. For some reason it just seems icky. :uhh:

sarahthegemini
August 5th, 2014, 02:13 PM
I wouldn't ever go WO and I most certainly would never go NW/SO. Eugh. The thought makes me cringe.
I would never stretch washes/put up with greasy hair for the sake of 'health' (I've tried stretching, it didn't work)
I would never use baking soda as a "gentle" wash method (there's nothing gentle about it)
I would never put avocado/bananas/eggs/mayo etc on my hair because quite frankly topical applications of said ingredients have no benefit and the process grosses me out, especially mayo :shudder:
I will never treat my hair like 'antique lace' I will treat it as hair.
I will never use tons of products, I use 2 products (co-wash and a leave-in) and that's enough.
I would never use a sleep cap - I have no interest in going to bed looking like an old woman.

queenovnight
August 5th, 2014, 02:43 PM
There's actually no scientific evidence to back-up the "cold water for hair" thing anyways. From what I've read, it's a myth. So good on you xD

As for me... Baking soda. That just sounds like a horrible idea.

SThr
August 5th, 2014, 02:44 PM
I won't do things that I know will damage my hair. I'd probably be okay with urine if it had great benefits or something. My pee is normally clear and odorless, so if it was just like a vinegar rinse followed by a water rinse with no smell afterwards, that'd be fine by me. Everybody saying they won't using Monistat because it's made for vaginae is pretty funny to me, as coconut oil is a common lubricant and most of us are fine with that. I've also put silicone lube on my ends because it was more pure that most of the shine serums I looked at and had no fragrance. I'm also totally fine with cool/cold rinses, even in the winter. I'm always too hot and I like the cool down. If I'm a little too cold I can wrap up in a blanket while my hair dries.
I was reading the thread about pomatum the other day and even considered that, but I didn't want the lightening effects!

kidari
August 5th, 2014, 03:03 PM

lol this is exactly what I was thinking... raw onion just smells repugnant

cathair
August 5th, 2014, 03:07 PM
I won't do things that I know will damage my hair. I'd probably be okay with urine if it had great benefits or something. My pee is normally clear and odorless, so if it was just like a vinegar rinse followed by a water rinse with no smell afterwards, that'd be fine by me. Everybody saying they won't using Monistat because it's made for vaginae is pretty funny to me, as coconut oil is a common lubricant and most of us are fine with that. I've also put silicone lube on my ends because it was more pure that most of the shine serums I looked at and had no fragrance. I'm also totally fine with cool/cold rinses, even in the winter. I'm always too hot and I like the cool down. If I'm a little too cold I can wrap up in a blanket while my hair dries.
I was reading the thread about pomatum the other day and even considered that, but I didn't want the lightening effects!

Gotta point it out though, coconut oil is not exactly a safe lubricant for some methods of contraception! I've seen people suggest it in other places with no idea about that.

kidari
August 5th, 2014, 03:17 PM
^^ interesting! (Silicone-based lubricant having no fragrance and less ingredients in it... I am thinking what if you use this as a base and make your own coney hair serum?!) Haha, I think I would try this in my hair!

cathair
August 5th, 2014, 03:19 PM
^^ interesting! (Silicone-based lubricant having no fragrance and less ingredients in it... I am thinking what if you use this as a base and make your own coney hair serum?!) Haha, I think I would try this in my hair!

:rolling:this made me smile! I think some of the are pretty much all cones, could be serum on steroids?

RavennaNight
August 5th, 2014, 04:03 PM
I would never do raw eggs on my hair. Also, I would never overdose on vitamins for the sake of hair.

meteor
August 5th, 2014, 04:17 PM

What is pomatum? :) I'm guessing it's some sort of hair pomade, but what does it consist of? I'd love to check out that thread. :)

lilin
August 5th, 2014, 04:35 PM
After reading all the amazing advice around here, and picking and choosing which ones to follow, I'm curious where the rest of you draw the line!

For me, it's shocking your scalp with cold water at the end of your shower. I will never. Ever. Do this. I Had two apartments in a row with showers that would do this to me weather I wanted them to or not. Showering from October-May then became a dreaded task. My hair was pretty healthy those years, yes, but that may have been because showering became a dreaded task, and resulted in me stretching showers and becoming a greaseball because I didn't want to step into the evil coldness generator :p

So where's the line for you? Preferably for non-financial or health related reasons! I'm sure many of us can't (or don't want to) afford certain things, and certainly don't want to rub things we're allergic to on our heads....:D

Really? I kind of like it. It doesn't seem to do anything for my hair, but with just my head under the water (and not as a random surprise -- that does suck!), I like a blast of cool water. :D

For me, the line comes in the form of complexity and time.

I'm not willing to spend hours with my hair covered in some kind of concoction. I'm not willing to spend hours cooking some elaborate 20-ingrediant hair stew.

I am always looking for a way to simplify and make it easier. Life is too short to spend all day tending to my hair!

I am also no longer willing to put food on my hair. I honestly don't think that, in most cases, there's anything redeeming about it. Waste of food.

Not willing to try baking soda again, and regret trying it once. I have no clue how BS became a staple of no-poo. It's probably one of the harshest things you could put on your hair short of bleach. Wish I'd known that during my first no-poo attempt, which ended with horrible hair, and which I didn't regain the willingness to try again until a couple years later.

Not going to "stick it out" with WO. I gave it a try. Greasy waxy yuck. Seems like some people are willing to live with that for months, years, or even forever, but honestly, I'm not convinced WO is even "natural." Even ancient people washed their hair. Even cats wash their hair (albeit with their tongues). The "natural" state of human hair just isn't appealing to me.

Monistat? Er, no. The above two experiments taught me that I don't need to try everything that's trending. Monistat seems like pretty powerful and chemical-laiden stuff. Just no.

Komao
August 5th, 2014, 04:41 PM
Never say never! I never CO before joining LHC and my hair loves it. I've been stretching washes and my hair is thriving.
I've been considering trying WO. When i try it i will have some essential oil ready and that will make hair smell lovely.
I saw a movie along time ago and they were so shocked that the Polynesians did not use soap on their bodies, yet they were beautifully clean.
I like experimenting in a natural way so I'm sure there will be other things I'll try that initially are foreign to me. :)
I use cold water for final rinse. Makes my hair incredibly shiny. I wash my hair separately from showering so it's quick and my body is not freezing!

mary*rose
August 5th, 2014, 05:01 PM
I don't think I'll ever go completely organic either, as in avoiding commercial shampoos/conditioners altogether, I just don't see the point. We live in a civilization where whole labs are dedicated to skin and hair-related research, and I want to benefit from their results, why not?

Haha I love this. I mean, there are some reasons why avoiding commercially manufactured products are good, because it's better for the environment and whatnot (I'm sure there's plenty of info on that...), but for some things, it's just better to just trust in science

lilin
August 5th, 2014, 05:22 PM
Haha I love this. I mean, there are some reasons why avoiding commercially manufactured products are good, because it's better for the environment and whatnot (I'm sure there's plenty of info on that...), but for some things, it's just better to just trust in science

Yup, this. There seems to be so little middle ground. To me, whether I go natural/DIY or medical science depends on severity, basically. Science is fantastic at being a hammer -- and most of us need hammers many, many times over the course of our lives. Of course there are exceptions to that, and cross-over. There are pretty natural mainstream treatments, and gentle synthetic ones. If it's something general or maintenance based, I tend to go natural, because I can usually DIY it, I know what's in it, and I'm not allergy prone.

A lot of people don't seem to realize that when it comes to allergies, synthetic is better than natural, almost every time. If a substance is something our body has no familiarity with, we probably won't react to it. Silicone, for example.

But on the flip side, I don't buy that manufacturers are always formulating with what's best for our hair in mind. They're formulating for what will do the job as cheaply as possible, in most cases. They want it to work for the highest percentage of the population they can, but because we're all so different, that means there will be lots and lots of people that it won't work perfectly for, or will work but with side effects.

SLS is a good example. Some hair benefits from strong cleaning I suppose, but generally, there's no need for something *that* strong, and SLS is the most irritating to the skin of all the surfactants. They use it because it's cheap, and it WILL clean your hair. No one can say SLS doesn't clean stuff! And because it's ubiquitous, people will assume that if they're having problems, it's the fault of their scalps, not the shampoo.

My hair actually does need relatively strong cleaning, but my skin reacts badly to SLS, and I can get away with a bit less power if I scrub well. My scalp and face thank me for it, profusely.

I don't really buy that what labs and companies come up with is always the best for the consumer. It's the best for the company, more than anything. Best for the company does require that it not be ineffective or terrible for the consumer, but it doesn't require it to be an improvement. With good enough marketing, even a back-slide can sell well.

And of course, a lot of new agents really don't get tested very well before they're released (for some reason the FDA lets the company run its own testing -- no bias here!). There's more to worry about than just allergies, and this is where synthetics tend to fare poorly, because our testing protocols kind of suck. Then, 20 years later, we find out it does something bad and pull it off the shelves.

I like DIY largely because it allows me to keep the number of ingredients my body is exposed to limited, and known.

Timea
August 5th, 2014, 05:40 PM
I don't know if this is never forever, but:

no satin or silk headcaps or pillowcases because I hate the texture, it's too slippery and glossy and makes my skin crawling.

and i want to say no oil for the ends but they really need it but i can't stand the feeling of oil on my hands, my hands are flopping about like dying fish just thinking about touching oil :( i can barely cope with using conditioner (it's slimy)

SnowbirdRose
August 5th, 2014, 06:32 PM
Timea, I agree with you about silk. I can't stand the feel of it, shirts, pillowcases, ickkk!

chen bao jun
August 5th, 2014, 08:28 PM
The things people think of are amazing.
I will not do any hairstyle that requires lots of teeny little braids or twists ever again. No more than four braids ever going into this hair.
I will not do WO or SO, either, nor will I use monistat nor will I overdose on vitamins.
I put a banana in my hair once and it SO wasn't worth it.
On the other hand I have no problem with vinegar wash. The smell goes away after one second. I did try aloe vera juice for a last rinse last time though and liked it even better.
I don't like cold water as the last rinse in winter, but I do it anyway, it really makes my hair feel much better. Maybe it raises my cuticles, but my hair gets feels softer after this so maybe its helping me moisturize?
I like wearing my hair up.

Jennah
August 5th, 2014, 08:30 PM
No sleep bonnets either, talk about a granny look, my husband doesn't deserve...

:rollin:...

leilani
August 6th, 2014, 06:44 AM
STHr, urine is not odorless, even an exclusively breastfed baby's urine has some ammonia in the scent. I have years of washing cloth diapers in my experience backing up this statement. :)

Johannah
August 6th, 2014, 09:32 AM
I would go WO, or take a lot of pills for hair growth.

chen bao jun
August 6th, 2014, 09:58 AM
I think the urine thing is beyond nasty--even the discussion of it is nasty. It's a 'waste' product for a reason.
And who would put ammonia into their hair.

peachyleshy
August 6th, 2014, 10:33 AM
Like alot of others: I wouldn't go water only. I have dandruff and I like the results of shampoo and conditioner! And I wouldn't go more than 4-5 days without washing my hair or atleast my scalp. My husband wouldn't let me do that either!
I've tried the cold rinses before and I actually kind of enjoyed them. I wouldn't it the winter however - I already don't like having to take my clothes off and then step out into the cold room with a wet body then.

Olavi
August 6th, 2014, 10:59 AM
I think it would be protecting hair from EVERYTHING. I grow my hair for me and I enjoy it most when it's down. I like how it feels in the wind or when I swim. And I will not ditch an occasional sauna for my hair (I don't go every day, or every week and even then it's 60-65 degrees of Celsius, so I don't think it will do any harm). And petting and stroking and combing and brushing my hair makes me calmer if I'm nervous or anxious. Plus it's either that or picking skin. Tiny bit of damage on hair hurts less.

I think what I'm trying to say, is that I will be cautious of damage, but not so much that I stop enjoying the hair. I will fight if someone tries to use heat tools on my hair or tease it, but I WILL stroke it, even 200 time a day if it makes me happy (and calm).

Of course there is lot more things I wouldn't do (mayo, eggs, pee), but most of them has already mentioned.

SThr
August 6th, 2014, 12:52 PM
Gotta point it out though, coconut oil is not exactly a safe lubricant for some methods of contraception! I've seen people suggest it in other places with no idea about that.

All oil based lubes are unsafe with latex condoms, the oil breaks down the latex.

What is pomatum? :) I'm guessing it's some sort of hair pomade, but what does it consist of? I'd love to check out that thread. :)

Here is the thread: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=124834

STHr, urine is not odorless, even an exclusively breastfed baby's urine has some ammonia in the scent. I have years of washing cloth diapers in my experience backing up this statement. :)

Vinegar isn't odorless either, but doesn't smell after rinsing and drying, which is why I said I'd use it if it was like a vinegar rinse.

Inkspot
August 6th, 2014, 08:12 PM
I find it humorous that so many here are against cold shocks in the shower, I take cold showers most of the time (including winter) and always found them refreshing. :shrug:

For the sake of redundancy, I would never do WO or stretch washes more then a day. I like having freshly cleaned, albeit a bit dry, hair. Just a preference. Oh yes, and the urine thing… no. Never. Until moments ago, I was actually not aware this was even a practice.

If it works for some, let it be, but i'll have you know its not for me. :p

MINAKO
August 6th, 2014, 08:21 PM
Ok, I would totally go with the urine if i found out its in any way beneficial to hair and no other product can deliver the same results, but my routine works at the moment, so i'm not really tempted. :P

emilia1992
August 7th, 2014, 07:11 AM
I won't:

1. Stretch my washes: tried it. My scalp didn't get less greasy as time went on, so I gave up (and it looked horrible - kind of like a crude oil slick on my head)
2. Put anything on my hair which aren't usually seen in a shower. Eggs, I'm thinking you. And urine, you too.
3. Try wearing it up for ages on end. I quite like having my hair down (I'm a roundface). Although I could gladly do without the knots at the end of the day. :)

leilani
August 9th, 2014, 02:59 PM
I'm not so into updos either, my hair looks best down.
And why so many egg wash haters? Mix with lemon, yogurt, or honey to mask the smell, apply to dry hair so it doesn't drip and wait until totally dry before detangling or judging the results!

Bohemian_Scara
August 9th, 2014, 03:21 PM
1. stretch washes, I get all anxious about my hair looking 'gross' over more than a 36 hour period between washes...even though I know over washing is part of the problem, (this rules of WO and other systems too).
2. all the bodily fluids and waste products mentioned.
3. all the products for other parts of the body mentioned.
4. completely give up my blowdryer.

I would try the beer rinse however.

blue_eyes
August 9th, 2014, 03:32 PM
-Definitely no urine (didn't even know that was a thing till I came on this thread)
-No monistat
-Any type of washing that doesn't involve shampoo & conditioner.
-No cold rinses (I love hot water too much)
-No sleep caps

I also hate wearing my hair up and stretching washes, but I will try to as long as I'm not going out anywhere.
I also try my best not to blowdry unless it's an absolute emergency. :P