PDA

View Full Version : Heavy cone-free conditioner

Orangerthanred
December 4th, 2011, 12:00 PM
As always, I want to add a lot of weight to my hair. As in, weigh it down/make it flat. I'm a co-washer, but Suave Naturals does not add weight to my hair.

What are some heavy coneless conditioners? Preferably affordable/cheaper ones that can be bought at a store, not online.

And if you have any to recommend, what are your experiences with them?

isabelx
December 4th, 2011, 12:06 PM
Garnier Fructis Hair Recovery? not sure about its ability to weigh down hair but it's the best cone-free conditioner I've ever used.

Orangerthanred
December 4th, 2011, 12:20 PM
I don't think that's available where I live [USA]. I looked it up.

shikara
December 4th, 2011, 12:40 PM
Tresemme Naturals and Sauve. I have used both and found the Sauve to be heavier, and Tresemme to not be heavy - so I go with that one!

jaine
December 4th, 2011, 12:58 PM
oh yeah ... puffiness is the bane of my existence. 2c puffy hair... I feel like I've spend years trying to figure out how to devolumize my hair.

Heavy conditioners are designed to leave some oil in your hair ... you can do that step yourself, it might be easier than trying to find a conditioner that leaves the perfect amount of oil in your hair. I like apricot kernel oil personally ... it devolumizes my hair without making it look stringy and oily.

If you have a Whole Foods, you could try Aubrey Organics white camellia conditioner. That is the ONLY conditioner that will weigh down my hair. It's mostly oil so you only need a 1" blob of it, not a big handful.

Styling methods that get all hairs on the same wavelength are also your friend. There is less puff when you have a clump of hairs on the same wavelength compared to all hairs on a different wavelength. Curly girl method, damp-bunning, and Caruso steam rollers are my standbys.

Animae
December 4th, 2011, 12:58 PM
I love the Honeysuckle Rose conditioner from Aubrey Organics.

Orangerthanred
December 4th, 2011, 02:21 PM
oh yeah ... puffiness is the bane of my existence. 2c puffy hair... I feel like I've spend years trying to figure out how to devolumize my hair.

Heavy conditioners are designed to leave some oil in your hair ... you can do that step yourself, it might be easier than trying to find a conditioner that leaves the perfect amount of oil in your hair. I like apricot kernel oil personally ... it devolumizes my hair without making it look stringy and oily.

If you have a Whole Foods, you could try Aubrey Organics white camellia conditioner. That is the ONLY conditioner that will weigh down my hair. It's mostly oil so you only need a 1" blob of it, not a big handful.

Styling methods that get all hairs on the same wavelength are also your friend. There is less puff when you have a clump of hairs on the same wavelength compared to all hairs on a different wavelength. Curly girl method, damp-bunning, and Caruso steam rollers are my standbys.

I've been looking for ways to de-volumize my hair too..

The Aubrey Organics stuff is pretty expensive [10 dollars apparently], plus it is only available online in my area. I can't buy anything online.

And I can't really do the curly girl method on my hair at this point, it has annoying layers and isn't very long yet. It is also relaxed, so only the roots are 2c, the rest is kinda straight. It's not healthy or cut right.

MissManda
December 4th, 2011, 04:00 PM
I tried the Tresemme Naturals Aloe and Avocado conditioner a while back and it's way too heavy for my hair when undiluted. IME, it's heavier than Suave, Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose, and Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition. It overmoisturized and made my hair very flat and stringy. It was just WAY too much for my finely-textured hair. Maybe that one will work for you?

jaine
December 4th, 2011, 05:15 PM
I've been looking for ways to de-volumize my hair too..

The Aubrey Organics stuff is pretty expensive [10 dollars apparently], plus it is only available online in my area. I can't buy anything online.

And I can't really do the curly girl method on my hair at this point, it has annoying layers and isn't very long yet. It is also relaxed, so only the roots are 2c, the rest is kinda straight. It's not healthy or cut right.

Maybe oiling and damp-bunning would work for you.
Most grocery stores sell unrefined coconut oil sonthat should be easy to find. If you have any store with a skin care section you might see more oil choices.

Amber_Maiden
December 4th, 2011, 05:40 PM
I like the Live Clean Moisture Conditioner. Weighs my hair down nicely and is very rich. :) Canadian brand though.

Kelikea
December 4th, 2011, 05:49 PM
Garnier Fructis Hair Recovery? not sure about its ability to weigh down hair but it's the best cone-free conditioner I've ever used.

Maybe it is called Triple Nutrition 3-minute undo dryness reversal here in the US? I looked at the ingredients and don't see any cones, but it does have the 3 oils: olive, avocado, and shea. Anything Garnier should be widely available at grocery stores, Walmart, Walgreens, CVS, etc.

ellen732
December 4th, 2011, 05:59 PM
I like to weigh my hair down too, I use GVP Conditioning Balm from Sally Beauty Supply. Works like a charm :).

Copasetic
December 4th, 2011, 06:23 PM
La Coupe curly hair deep treatment. It's very thick and heavy.

Orangerthanred
December 4th, 2011, 06:53 PM
I tried the Tresemme Naturals Aloe and Avocado conditioner a while back and it's way too heavy for my hair when undiluted. IME, it's heavier than Suave, Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose, and Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition. It overmoisturized and made my hair very flat and stringy. Maybe that one will work for you?

I can't find it in store.

I wonder if Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture is the same.

DarkSky
December 4th, 2011, 07:09 PM
I also use and prefer the cone free heavy conditioners. My faves are any of the conditioners from the Tresemme Naturals line and L'oreal eversleek. I found Garnier fructis tripple moisture to be not as heavy but still weighty.

Orangerthanred
December 4th, 2011, 07:14 PM
Okay, so I've finally found Aubrey Organics in store, at the Vitamin Shoppe for 9 dollars. It's very expensive for 11 ounces, I don't know if it's worth it. 11 oz would probably last me 2 weeks :\

DarkSky
December 4th, 2011, 07:22 PM

Yes it's the same.. it's the aloe and avocado one. All of the conditioners in that line I find to be heavy and very economical. Perfect for COing or just deep conditioning in my opinion.

MissManda
December 4th, 2011, 07:37 PM
Okay, so I've finally found Aubrey Organics in store, at the Vitamin Shoppe for 9 dollars. It's very expensive for 11 ounces, I don't know if it's worth it. 11 oz would probably last me 2 weeks :\

Sorry, I forgot the name of the aloe and avocado one. Brain fart. :p

I've only used the Honeysuckle Rose condish from AO, but it's so thick and moisturizing that I only need about a dime-sized dollop at the absolute most, usually a pea-sized amount will do for my entire length which has practically no taper. A whole bottle of AOHR holds out for several months and since it lasts for such a long time, the cost gets negated. My hair isn't mega-thick like you've described yours to be, but maybe it will give you a starting point. I think the only way to know for sure is to try it. Too bad Aubrey doesn't appear to make sample/travel sizes.

luthein
December 4th, 2011, 07:59 PM
Another is the Body Shop Rainforest Moisture Hair Butter. I'm not a fan of it personally, but others use it with great results.

http://www.thebodyshop-usa.com/hair-care-products/hair-best-sellers/rainforest-moisture-hair-butter.aspx

Rebeccalaurenxx
December 4th, 2011, 08:44 PM
Maybe try using actual oils instead of heavier condish? When I want to weigh my hair down, coconut oil does the job.

jojo
December 5th, 2011, 04:18 AM
a bit of shea butter on damp hair as a leave in weighs my hair down or a little oil mixed inyour conditioner.

jaine
December 5th, 2011, 07:45 AM

Not if it's the white camellia conditioner - you only need a tiny amount like a 1" blob. Using a handful will just make your hair look oily.

But adding your own oil to your hair is a good option too, as we mentioned earlier in the thread. That could end up being much less expensive, plus you have control over the amount so you won't have to sort through tons of conditioners looking for one that leaves the perfect amount of oil in your hair.

oktobergoud
December 5th, 2011, 08:00 AM
Garnier Triple Nutrition? Or maybe Yes To Cucumbers?
R&B from Lush (leave-in) is cone-free and gives a lot of weight to my hair! But it's very expensive and well.. a leave-in :P

Maelyssa
December 5th, 2011, 06:17 PM

It is that same & my family is on it's 10th bottle of the conditioner so far. We tried the smooth as silk one but the nourishing moisture works great! My curly girls even use some as a leave in. It's definitely worth a shot for just under $5 & after having used plenty of Suave & VO5 I'd have to say it's heavier as well. Good luck!

getoffmyskittle
December 5th, 2011, 06:18 PM
Biolage conditioning balm.

Kristin
December 5th, 2011, 06:48 PM
Maybe it is called Triple Nutrition 3-minute undo dryness reversal here in the US? I looked at the ingredients and don't see any cones, but it does have the 3 oils: olive, avocado, and shea. Anything Garnier should be widely available at grocery stores, Walmart, Walgreens, CVS, etc.

I second this suggestion. The Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition daily conditioner is also good.