PDA

View Full Version : curly= poodle

liseling
July 10th, 2008, 10:28 AM
There is a Tresemme advert on in the UK that ticks me off every time I see it. It's narrated by a girl who in the beginning has pretty, shiny, bouncy curls that lots of people would die for. She comes into a salon and in her voice-over she says:

"I couldn't control my hair, I was at my wit's end.
My friend recommended her stylist Leo. I looked like a poodle - it was out to here! Leo said no problem, and used new Tresemme salon silk shampoo and conditioner."

Then of course, after that her hair is morphed into being stick straight - basically the same quality of her curly hair, but straight. WTH? is curly hair something that needs to be corrected or something? I mean, I could understand if it was a commercial for a straightening product, but it's not - it's a shampoo/conditioner that's supposed to make your hair "silky." I guess curls cant be silky, right?
I've been noticing more and more of these anti-curl sentiments in media images like ads and movies and tv shows. For instance take almost any movie where the girl morphs from being a nerd into being a beauty queen. In almost all of them, the girl has curly (or frizzy wanting to be curly) hair before the makeover and it's straight in the beauty queen phase. What is going on here???

avraea
July 10th, 2008, 10:48 AM
WTH? is curly hair something that needs to be corrected or something? I mean, I could understand if it was a commercial for a straightening product, but it's not - it's a shampoo/conditioner that's supposed to make your hair "silky." I guess curls cant be silky, right?

My thoughts exactly. Here I am dying to have beautiful curls and I see ads like that all the time and I just can't understand it.

ailin
July 10th, 2008, 11:20 AM
Straight hair seems to be the thing these days. I actually mentioned it to DH the other day and he agreed with me, it's a bit of a shame. Curls and waves aren't something that should be fought at all costs.

Then we saw a young teenage girl with Robert Plant-hair at the local mall and all was well for a few minutes. :D

HollowHannah
July 10th, 2008, 11:20 AM
I agree totally. I have poker straight hair and I would die for beautiful curls. I'm sick with jealousy of girls with gorgeous bouncy ringlets but the media push this image of curly haired people being unkempt or frumpy and it's just not true. I think it;s looks much nicer that straight hair.

HollowHannah
July 10th, 2008, 11:21 AM
lol ailin, Robert Plant hair! speaking of, didn't Roger Daltry have beautiful blonde curls? I'm going to have to fantasize for a while now, he looked like an angel lol

CurlyOne
July 10th, 2008, 11:22 AM
I used to be that way. I hated my curly hair and I wanted straight hair but I was too lazy to use the flat iron, thankfully. About the same time I found LHC I decided to accept my hair for what it is and now I LOVE it!!

longhairdreams
July 10th, 2008, 12:46 PM
I've noticed alot of people seem to think this way sadly :shrug:.I never understood how curly or even wavy equals wild and unruly.Its just another one of those wierd things,such as anything past shoulder length is long.

Curlsgirl
July 10th, 2008, 12:57 PM
GRRRRRRRRRRR yep a lot of people still think that BUT I have noticed a lot of girls curling their hair and getting perms again. Around here curls are really coming back in "style". I have thankfully gotten past most of the pressure to be "in style" and I like both. :D

Siava
July 10th, 2008, 01:20 PM
Thankfully, this trend will succumb to something else in the next decade. Who knows, the next hot thing might be blue hair. Now THAT is something I'd jump on the wagon for. :lol:

Nightshade
July 10th, 2008, 02:40 PM
Right, but in most the bridal magazines you see what? Lots and lots of curled and styled hair.

They can't make money off you if you like what you have :rolleyes:

Riot Crrl
July 10th, 2008, 02:43 PM
Right, as long as they're not natural curls it's OK. They got to be ironed and sprayed and stylized.

My favorite is when the beauty mags are like, "Curls are back! To get this look, [hot rollers, irons, hairspray]. Fear not, naturally curlies, you can get this look too! Just start with a flatiron, then follow the same directions above."

Juliet's Silk
July 10th, 2008, 02:47 PM
My favorite is when the beauty mags are like, "Curls are back! To get this look, [hot rollers, irons, hairspray]. Fear not, naturally curlies, you can get this look too! Just start with a flatiron, then follow the same directions above."

:spitting: That cracked me up :D

Now, the poor wavies - neither here nor there! :hmm:

flapjack
July 10th, 2008, 04:21 PM
The media has been doing this for a long time, making everything into a contest about "what is better" when it's insignificant, meaningless crap like a curled hair vs. a straight hair. This is stupid, you know? Who cares? Not me. I'm happy with what I have. I have no desire for any other hair type than what I have. Apparently, the media doesn't like that attitude, but they can shove it. They're not getting any of my money and that's all they ever want. That's why they make everything into a competition so people with this feel bad and people with that feel bad and everyone just sits and whines about what they can't have instead of taking care of what they already have. I'm over it. I've been over it since I was about 13 and realized they're all just trying to brainwash us, suck out our money, leave us feeling worthless, take away our sexuality by making us feel ugly and self-conscious and pitting us women against one another, so we end up fighting like catty jerks over stupid crap like hair instead of caring about one another.

Seriously, I'm done. I love my straight hair. I love your curly hair. I love your wavy hair. I don't want your hair, I want my hair and I want you to want your hair and not my hair. Now let's call it a day. What's the fight about, anyway? Is it over what other women like more? Because most other women are brainwashed. Is it over what other men like more? Because men don't give two craps if a woman has curly or straight hair, I have yet to meet one who does. A babe is a babe, to a guy. Period. I'm tired of the media saying crap like "curly hair is frizzy and ugly" and "straight hair is boring" because neither one is true.

/mini-rant.

Lady Verity
July 10th, 2008, 04:26 PM
Sigh. I longed for curly hair when I was a little girl.

Nothing wrong with curls, m'dear. Or poodles, for that matter!

Riot Crrl
July 10th, 2008, 04:37 PM
The media has been doing this for a long time, making everything into a contest about "what is better" when it's insignificant, meaningless crap like a curled hair vs. a straight hair. This is stupid, you know? Who cares? Not me. I'm happy with what I have. I have no desire for any other hair type than what I have. Apparently, the media doesn't like that attitude, but they can shove it. They're not getting any of my money and that's all they ever want. That's why they make everything into a competition so people with this feel bad and people with that feel bad and everyone just sits and whines about what they can't have instead of taking care of what they already have. I'm over it. I've been over it since I was about 13 and realized they're all just trying to brainwash us, suck out our money, leave us feeling worthless, take away our sexuality by making us feel ugly and self-conscious and pitting us women against one another, so we end up fighting like catty jerks over stupid crap like hair instead of caring about one another.

Seriously, I'm done. I love my straight hair. I love your curly hair. I love your wavy hair. I don't want your hair, I want my hair and I want you to want your hair and not my hair. Now let's call it a day. What's the fight about, anyway? Is it over what other women like more? Because most other women are brainwashed. Is it over what other men like more? Because men don't give two craps if a woman has curly or straight hair, I have yet to meet one who does. A babe is a babe, to a guy. Period. I'm tired of the media saying crap like "curly hair is frizzy and ugly" and "straight hair is boring" because neither one is true.

/mini-rant.

This whole thing is FTW, but also, not only that but they are often trying to sell us stuff that is bad for us and our hair too. And the price points reflect shipping a product that it mostly water all over the place, packaging that is a higher cost than the product inside, it goes on and on.

(Disclaimer: I still use commercial products that come in plastic bottles, and some of them even have synthetic preservatives. But, a lot less ones than I used to, and chosen with more care, and for different reasons.)

thankyousir74
July 10th, 2008, 04:49 PM
My hair is mildly wavy, and living in Miami, it's apt to get a bit frizzy. And I'm fine with that, but my friends always try to pester me into straightening it and how "wonderful" it would look straightened. I'm not to shy about saying how disgusting it is to me to see smoke coming out of my hair, and then adding products to keep it that way. I just like the all natural look and it saddens me that the media is trying to get all curlies and wavies to fight their beautiful hair :doh:

cuddledumplin
July 10th, 2008, 05:02 PM
I agree with flapjack, the whole beauty industry seems based on making us want what we don't have. It seems like the goal is to make us feel bad about our looks. It would be such a beautiful world if the media celebrated the diversity of people rather than celebrating such a narrow standard of beauty.

janaana
July 10th, 2008, 05:09 PM
This reminds me why I don't have a television; the adverts are just so irritating.

Actually I have used this shampoo and conditioner. I still use the conditioner although I found I prefer using it with a different shampoo (anti-breakage from the same range). It suited my hair and it did make it feel silky. It has also reduced the static and tangling more than any other products I've tried and I no longer find individual hairs knotted near the ends, which was a huge problem for me and caused lots of breakage before I started using it but it has never made it even slightly straighter than it was to start with.

There were so many other selling points they could have focused on and yet they concentrated on showing a result that came from the styling technique and not the product. They're really asking for their customers to be disappointed with the results they get.

Starr
July 10th, 2008, 07:01 PM
Well if curls=poodle then just call me Fifi! :puppy::D

kwaniesiam
July 10th, 2008, 08:06 PM
Well if curls=poodle then just call me Fifi! :puppy::D

:spitting:

I wish I had curls. Natural ones, not teased, sprayed, "perfect" ones :rolleyes: Like Nightshade said, if you were happy with what you had they'd never make any money off of you.

flapjack
July 11th, 2008, 04:06 AM
This whole thing is FTW, but also, not only that but they are often trying to sell us stuff that is bad for us and our hair too. And the price points reflect shipping a product that it mostly water all over the place, packaging that is a higher cost than the product inside, it goes on and on.

Ohhhhh yeah, that's a whole 'nother fun topic and rant, right there. I'm getting my MS in biochemistry so I've always been a chemical nerd anyway... and I really get so riled up about that, hahaha. Drives me batty. I would feel the same if I didn't know anything about chemicals, though. Literacy is all you need to see that things like commercial shampoo to moisturize or keep in hair dye and commercial shampoo to increase volume all have the SAME CRAP IN THEM. Pantene is a hilarious example of this. All of their different "types" of products have identical ingredients. That would send off warning signals that someone is lying, I would think.

morgwn
July 11th, 2008, 04:29 AM
I just take what I get from my hair now and enjoy it. We can't change our hair type, so we're best off just liking it for what it is. And, not to mention the fact that trends constantly change: the 60's and 70's loved stick-straight hair, the 80's liked curls, the 90's straight came back, the early 2000 and some places now love curls again.... Anyone else noticing a trend here? :D

sexyjacksparrow
July 11th, 2008, 07:00 AM
It's insane. People often assume I must not like having curly hair for some reason. I always seem to be pounced on by those people who sell straghtening irons in malls. I just say 'no thanks - I like my curls!'

I do actually own straightening irons and occasionally use them (maybe once a month). But then people always say "oh you straightened your hair - what happened to your beautiful curls? Why do curly haired people hate their curls and wish they had straight hair - it's so sad?" Er... I just fancied a change for one day - why do you assume I HATE my curls; I don't!!

Kerry xx

liseling
July 11th, 2008, 10:26 AM
I definitely dont hate my curls, but I also have had people say "you have such beautiful curls! You must hate your hair, though, right?" Eh? Does that make any sense? And since I stopped drying out my hair so much with shampoo it's not even that difficult to take care of.
It's totally true that the media and especially advertising agencies deliberately try to get everyone to want whatever it is that they dont have. And even if you have it, you need something else to make it better. Like if you have straight hair you should flat-iron to make it straighter, and if you have curly hair you need to either flat-iron it straight or "fix" the curls to look a certain way with a curling iron. And to disguise all the damage that all this fiddling around does you're supposed to buy even more products. And poor wavies - I can imagine it would be even more annoying to see ads that imply that your hair should be either curly or straight!

MagmaMaggie
July 11th, 2008, 10:50 AM
This sort of attitude in our society really got me down on my hair growing up (among other things but that's a whole other thing). Now I get really PO'd when I see this stuff because of my girls. Out of the 3 we know for sure one is going to have my hair as it is already very curly. The jury is still out on our 1 year old who doesn't have enough hair to tell yet. I'm probably really over reacting but I look at my girls and it feels like they are attacking them and I get all mama bear about it- like how dare you hurt my baby's feelings!!!

GlassEyes
July 11th, 2008, 02:14 PM
I used to hate my curly hair. Now I hate that there isn't more of it. XD

It's trendy to have 'poker straight hair that frames the face' these days, especially with girls and even guys my age. I don't know when it will change, but it probably will in the future. Depends on what people decide.

GlassEyes
July 11th, 2008, 02:16 PM
I definitely dont hate my curls, but I also have had people say "you have such beautiful curls! You must hate your hair, though, right?" Eh? Does that make any sense? And since I stopped drying out my hair so much with shampoo it's not even that difficult to take care of.

It does actually. Most of the curly haired people I've encountered HATE their hair; my best friend is no exception. She has fried waist length hair that has this AWESOME pattern that most girls would kill someone for, and she straightens it into oblivion. She has the kind of hair that celebrities spend hours to get, and she hates it. D:

Starr
July 11th, 2008, 02:42 PM
This sort of attitude in our society really got me down on my hair growing up (among other things but that's a whole other thing). Now I get really PO'd when I see this stuff because of my girls. Out of the 3 we know for sure one is going to have my hair as it is already very curly. The jury is still out on our 1 year old who doesn't have enough hair to tell yet. I'm probably really over reacting but I look at my girls and it feels like they are attacking them and I get all mama bear about it- like how dare you hurt my baby's feelings!!!

This is what saddens me. . . my 2 year old has beautiful curls and I only hope she'll grow up to appreciate them as she gets older. However the odds are already stacked against her since I've already had adults ask me if I ever plan on straightening it or if I've ever blowdried it! :rolleyes: Umm, why the heck would I straighten a 2 year olds hair? :confused:

bikerblue
July 13th, 2008, 02:19 AM
Liseling I've seen this advert and it narks me too right to the point where i wont buy Tresemme products

liseling
July 20th, 2008, 12:32 PM
Well I certainly dont have any desire to buy their products either. I think the worst thing here is, as others have said, the effect on kids who watch tv/look at advertisements/see these kinds of messages reinforced while they are growing up - that they arent acceptable as they are.