PDA

View Full Version : stretching washes, hair texture.

iszolda111
December 4th, 2011, 08:10 AM
Sorry If theres already a thread about this, I couldn't find it in search. I kept my hair in a wrap yesterday the entire day and took it down before bed. It was straight to my liking and because I've been CO washing it was silky smooth, healthy looking, the ends are in good shape and fell flat. So I put it back up, and slept on it. It stayed in place fairly well, I took it down this morning and its still straight, but I knew it wouldn't be silky anymore and it isn't. On the second day it's always so dryish feeling and clumpy? If you understand what I mean. The ends stick off too. And if I comb it, it just goes back that way within minutes. Anyone else get that at first? Does it go away as your hair gets healthier and more used to washes being stretched? I wouldnt want to have to wear it up every day that isn't a wash day. My goal is to be able to wrap it and then leave it straight for say 4 or 5 days until I wash it again, but I'd like it to feel like hair, not straw.

Kelikea
December 4th, 2011, 08:13 AM
Maybe you aren't rinsing all of the CO out, so then it dries and becomes clumpy? Or maybe your CO leaves some sort of buildup. You might need to try a different CO, or do a clarifying wash and start over.

Madora
December 4th, 2011, 08:16 AM
It sounds like you didn't rinse it enough. If you washed it, slept on it, and the next day it feels as you described, then the strands are probably still loaded with product.

Perhaps clarifying might help.

Personally, I would try just shampoo and condition when trying to stretch washes.

jacqueline101
December 4th, 2011, 08:24 AM
I've only been doing this since may and I do shampoo and condish and it works. I can do mine weekly and I oil and monistat daily. Every once in a while I need to clarify.

jesis
December 4th, 2011, 08:31 AM
Clarifying could help, or you could need protein. :)

SharkDisco
December 4th, 2011, 11:31 AM
The same thing used to happen to me, too. I found that switching my conditioner did the trick - I now alternate between a no-cone conditioner and a protein-rich conditioner and my second-day dry, clumpy ends are history. I have BSL hair and I haven't been stretching washes long enough for the less abused hair to get anywhere near the ends, so I think it's a product issue.

Amber_Maiden
December 7th, 2011, 10:04 AM
Sounds to me like you aren't rinsing enough....