PDA

View Full Version : Hair Yanked. Swollen scalp, bruising...

Amiblue
December 3rd, 2011, 10:09 PM
Yep, my hair got yanked pretty good on my right side. My scalp swelled up HUGE for 24 hours and has slowly been settling down. I have left my hair and everything alone for the first few days and 2 nights ago did a cool rinse in the shower with acv and watered down conditioner to help with the lost hair tangles. I lost a LOT of hair. *Sigh* So, now I am still very tender, slightly swollen, no longer losing hand fulls of hair and feel kinda scabby things that are super small in places (I think from where the bruising actually bled. YIKES!)

My questions: Should I do more cold water rinses (afraid of drying out my hair) to help with swelling and bruising? Could permanent damage have been done or should I be fine?

Not going into how it happened just yet either. :(

longhairedlady
December 3rd, 2011, 10:12 PM
Im sorry, I have been through a hair pulling too one time and lost some hair. I would keep up with the cold water to help the swelling and just baby it.

NymphSpirit
December 3rd, 2011, 10:16 PM
Ouuuchh, I hope you're feeling better both physically and emotionally, or towards it

Why do you think cold water would dry your hair? It shouldn't do anything to it unless it was some truly hard water! And also, think of your well being first and then about your hair! I'd take care of the swelling and then of the hair.

tinywife
December 3rd, 2011, 10:20 PM
I just want to say, you poor thing! Here, have a hug!

PlainLight
December 3rd, 2011, 10:22 PM
Ouch!! :( I am so sorry.

For now I'd just focus on keeping the swelling down and letting your scalp heal, plus making sure it doesn't get infected. Cold water rinses should do you good, even if your hair gets dry temporarily.

Amiblue
December 3rd, 2011, 10:26 PM
Okay and thanks everyone. The rinse did make my head feel sooooo much better. I guess being city water they chlorinate it so much it kills your hair; but it feels really good. I will be happy when this is over with and getting the swelling down is the most important.

Thank you for the Hugs!

DoubleCrowned
December 3rd, 2011, 11:07 PM
I use the homeopathic remedy Arnica (internally) for bruising. It really takes out the pain and swelling, and speeds healing. It is readily available at health food stores.

RapunzelKat
December 3rd, 2011, 11:29 PM
Oh man, I'm sorry, that really sounds like it hurts! :( Another suggestion for the bruising that you could try is an ice pack on your head, if it's in a place where you could hold an ice pack against it comfortably. I've had good luck using crushed ice in a plastic baggie. I haven't done it on my scalp in quite a long time, but it works great on other bruises.

I would think the cold water rinses would also be fine, especially if you're using a little conditioner. When you're feeling better, you can always do a clarifying wash for the hard water, or a moisture treatment if it does leave you with any dryness.

Hope you feel better!

sycamoreboutiqu
December 3rd, 2011, 11:45 PM
You need Ice - now.

For any type of under the skin swelling Ice is the recommended treatment.

The treatment for swollen muscles is Ice - Heat - Ice but for skin swelling it is just Ice.

Get some cubes into a ziplock bag - add some water too as it makes it more flexible then wrap it in a dishtowel to buffer it a bit.

Keep it on as long as you can stand it - then leave it off for 15 min - then back on again for 10 to 15 min. The swelling will be greatly reduced and the pain too.

Let us know how you are doing, ok ?

AlabasterAlice
December 4th, 2011, 12:01 AM
Oh man :( That sounds awful! I've had my hair yanked before, and it hurt both emotionally and physically because of the situation. The best thing to do is put ice on it, and let it rest. No buns or anything. Did the area bleed at all? I'd be concerned about that too, if so.

I hope you feel better... Many hugs!

Becky9679
December 4th, 2011, 12:42 AM
The ice is a great idea and I would also say to take some anti-inflammatories if you aren't already. They're intended to reduce swelling and inflammation and will probably help with the pain as well. I hope you feel better soon :flowers:

Lamb
December 4th, 2011, 01:20 AM
I agree with everyone else: ice is the solution. Put some in an old sock and hold the pack to the swollen area.

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

pepperminttea
December 4th, 2011, 02:56 AM
Another vote for ice and anti-inflammatories. However it happened, it really doesn't sound pleasant. :( I hope it gets easier soon, physically and emotionally. :grouphug:

Toadstool
December 4th, 2011, 03:20 AM
I am so sorry.
I agree, ice and anti-inflammatories.
Hugs xxxx

Chibbylick
December 4th, 2011, 03:36 AM
hugs.... lots of gentle hugs
seconding the Arnica recommendation
be gentle with yourself xox

beccababesx
December 4th, 2011, 03:39 AM
No advice but I hope you and your hair feel better soon. Xxx

laura85
December 4th, 2011, 04:43 AM
I think arnica is good for bruising
hope your ok :grouphug:

HintOfMint
December 4th, 2011, 07:52 AM
I hope you're ok...

jacqueline101
December 4th, 2011, 07:58 AM
I'm sorry for your pain and suffering. I'd worry about healing up the damages done to your scalp. Then you can start to grow out the damages.

Melisande
December 4th, 2011, 08:14 AM
I'd try cold chamomile tea, it is very soothing.

Many hugs, speedy recovery and regrowth.

Alvrodul
December 4th, 2011, 08:22 AM
:grouphug: Hope you feel better soon1

Debra83
December 4th, 2011, 12:14 PM
Ice, anti-inflamatories, and vit c (1000 mg twice a day). Vit c enhances the effect of the medication as well as taking away negatives of it, and vit c helps heal the bruising.

swearnsue
December 4th, 2011, 01:34 PM
My advice is to take photos and call an attorney. Really.