PDA

View Full Version : Worst hair advice you have ever heard?

Pages : [1] 2

Miss Catrina
December 3rd, 2011, 08:01 PM
I think the worst I've ever heard would have to be "Wear your hair in a tight ponytail often, the tension will encourage bloodflow to the scalp and make your hair grow faster".

:mad:

allnight avenue
December 3rd, 2011, 08:05 PM
Definitely a girl on YouTube who insisted that hair loves heat, and therefore showering under the hottest water you can stand and blowdrying on very high heat will make your hair grow faster.

Miss Catrina
December 3rd, 2011, 08:06 PM
Definitely a girl on YouTube who insisted that hair loves heat, and therefore showering under the hottest water you can stand and blowdrying on very high heat will make your hair grow faster.

Jimminy christmas. :disgust:

How did she explain all the products specifically formulated as HEAT PROTECTANTS, then?

Helix
December 3rd, 2011, 08:07 PM
"If you cut it; your hair will grow faster."

Lissandria
December 3rd, 2011, 08:09 PM
Dying your hair with Semi-permanent dyes (low volume-peroxide 40 wash semi-permanent) is nourishing for hair.:rolleyes:

dili
December 3rd, 2011, 08:10 PM
mine was `` bleach your hair platinium blonde, will look awesome``, considering i have a olive skin i am sure it would look awful heheheh

Helenae
December 3rd, 2011, 08:15 PM
Spray your hair with salt to get beach waves ......yeah, because THAT didn't make my hair as dry as the sahara desert.

Miss Catrina
December 3rd, 2011, 08:42 PM

I really feel like that one is still going to be going around hundreds of years from now.

beckishness
December 3rd, 2011, 08:55 PM
I was told that highlights would give me more volume. Uhm...no. -This was told to me by a hair dresser too.

ademtce
December 3rd, 2011, 09:04 PM
all the highlighting would do is make the highlighted strands thinner.

jesis
December 3rd, 2011, 09:05 PM
I guess when I was a kid and they told me if I brushed my hair 100 times a day it would grow faster. Never worked.

spidermom
December 3rd, 2011, 09:09 PM
My hair does grow faster if I trim it. I'm pretty sure that's because it keeps my ends fresh so that they don't wear out and break off, but whatever: if it works, keep with it. I think the worst advice I've ever gotten is "don't ever cut it and it will grow longer." Riiiiiiiiiggggggggghhhhhhhhhhtttttttttt.

Lissandria
December 3rd, 2011, 09:11 PM
^^ Agree with this. I think the Microtrimming and Maintaining Thread is enough proof that for some, trimming does help you keep growth and therefore appears as if it grows more with trimming.
LoL at the last sentence.

BeccaAngel
December 3rd, 2011, 09:17 PM
the worst advice i got was, "go blonde" yea I've done that before, and i hated it so much. Never again!

Earelia
December 3rd, 2011, 09:57 PM
I was told that highlights would give me more volume. Uhm...no. -This was told to me by a hair dresser too.

Maybe she was trying to say dimension? XD

PixxieStix
December 3rd, 2011, 10:41 PM
"Sure I can bleach your auburn hair platinum blond, no problem!"

$160, 3 treatments and about 4 hours later, I walked out with Barney Rubble hair from the Flinstones. It was horrible. Don't tell me you can get the red out of my natural hair unless you can. >.<

Hollyfire3
December 3rd, 2011, 11:02 PM
I really feel like that one is still going to be going around hundreds of years from now.

I don't know if this is really bad advice or just a misconception people have, then again, that is all bad advice is, misconceptions. But, i think the idea is that hair will look healthier when grown out if you trim in between. The hemline will look thicker and therefore, the hair will look longer.

julliams
December 3rd, 2011, 11:13 PM
When I was told that I would need a particular style of brush for my "fine" hair. I looked at her and told her that noone had EVER told me my hair was fine!!!

blondecat
December 4th, 2011, 12:05 AM
the worst advice i got was, "go blonde" yea I've done that before, and i hated it so much. Never again!

hahaha Ive been told to let my hair gow back to 'Natural hair colour, ie stop colouring it'

Wha?? Huh?? Der?? Er?? ehhh??

This IS my Natural Hair Colour. Oi

Kristin
December 4th, 2011, 12:11 AM
"You really need your hair thinned with a razor." And I let it happen for years.

pepperminttea
December 4th, 2011, 03:04 AM
"Wearing hair up is really damaging."

I can see how it would be if you back-comb it and hairspray it every time, or use the same style repetitively, but for me the exact opposite has been true; wearing my hair up keeps my length so much happier.

almond
December 4th, 2011, 03:08 AM
This. I was never able to grow my hair longer than BSL, no matter how hard I was trying, as I kept cutting it :mad:

MissManda
December 4th, 2011, 03:17 AM
"Oh, you can't grow your hair long because it is XYZ type. XYZ hair types can't be long for ABC reason(s)." Ugh!

"Your hair is too soft and healthy to look good, so I suggest doing XYZ chemical process to damage it to make it look better."

"Don't worry, deposit-only hair dye won't damage your hair at all." Then tell me why my hair kept breaking off for months and months before I cut the previously dyed bits off. :rolleyes: My hair does not hold up well to chemicals...

beccababesx
December 4th, 2011, 03:42 AM
You shouldn't let your hair air dry, all the moisture will escape! You need to blowdry it then straighten it to seal all the moisturise into the ends.
Don't put oil on your hair, it will look greasy and burn! (Without heat? Really?)
When you shampoo your hair, shampoo it twice - first to clean off the surface damage, and second to properly cleanse the hair - cleanse of what exactly? All the moisture?!
Oh, sooo many more haha.

andreamuse
December 4th, 2011, 07:23 AM
"People with fine hair should never let their hair get below shoulder length."

This one just irks me to no end.

jacqueline101
December 4th, 2011, 07:29 AM
If you pull your hair as you're brushing it that will make it grow.

moon2dove
December 4th, 2011, 07:32 AM
"If you get a perm, your ringlets will look even all over" .....and I did :eek:

KwaveT
December 4th, 2011, 07:36 AM
"Oh, you can't grow your hair long because it is XYZ type. XYZ hair types can't be long for ABC reason(s)." Ugh!

My mother believes this one. She told me the other day some people can grow long hair and some can't in answering to my taking care of my hair. Absolute bologna. Anybody can grow long hair. Some people will just not be able to abuse their hair as much as others to get it there. I am one of those that could get away with a little abuse but I am not going to.

Georgies
December 4th, 2011, 07:36 AM
I guess when I was a kid and they told me if I brushed my hair 100 times a day it would grow faster. Never worked.

I heard this one so many times! and I used to try it - ugh!

iszolda111
December 4th, 2011, 07:42 AM
"dying your hair blonde will kill it, but dying it brown makes it healthier."

I have heard do many people say that. I think they mistake shiny, and (maybe the conditioner that comes with the hairdye?) for healthy.

HintOfMint
December 4th, 2011, 07:54 AM
I think the worst I've ever heard would have to be "Wear your hair in a tight ponytail often, the tension will encourage bloodflow to the scalp and make your hair grow faster".

:mad:

My mother would tell me this, only it was "tie your hair in tight braids, your roots have to feel it."

Thank god I was a chronic hair petter and player, my braids never stayed in. Otherwise, HI TRACTION ALOPECIA!

Copasetic
December 4th, 2011, 07:59 AM
Using mayo as a hair mask. It took me like 4 washes to get it out, and I could smell it for days afterwards.

LovingLife
December 4th, 2011, 08:03 AM

Exactly my one.
My hair could have been healthy virgin tailbone length at this moment if I'd laid off of the, grow it to SL then wack it off to chin.. Four times. *facepalm*

LovingLife
December 4th, 2011, 08:06 AM
Spray your hair with salt to get beach waves ......yeah, because THAT didn't make my hair as dry as the sahara desert.

I did that often :)
It made my hair hard as a hat!! :D

swearnsue
December 4th, 2011, 08:11 AM
I was told to dry my hair by rubbing a rough towel all over and over.

Madora
December 4th, 2011, 08:11 AM
Brushing wet hair tops the list, followed by "tease your hair for more volume" and "cutting your hair will make it grow faster".

Annibelle
December 4th, 2011, 08:13 AM
My mother would tell me this, only it was "tie your hair in tight braids, your roots have to feel it."

Thank god I was a chronic hair petter and player, my braids never stayed in. Otherwise, HI TRACTION ALOPECIA!

My mom used to tell me that, too, and would braid my hair very tightly at night. :rolleyes: At that point, though, I didn't care about my hair at all, so I took the braids out ASAP. :p

My own from a hairdresser: dyeing is a conditioning treatment. It makes your hair much healthier.

And one from co-workers: You should straighten your hair! It would look really cute! Um... my hair already IS straight. Not perfectly so, but I still consider it straight...

Annibelle
December 4th, 2011, 08:15 AM
I was told to dry my hair by rubbing a rough towel all over and over.

My dad always used to tell me that whipping your hair with a towel was better for it. You take the towel in each hand and then make it move in circles, like a jump rope, and then stick your hair in. :disgust: He said his ex did this all the time and she had long hair.

Alvrodul
December 4th, 2011, 08:15 AM
Flatironing your hair with this particular iron is actually good for it.

:rolleyes:

Granted, it was a flatiron salesperson who said it, but still... :eek:

No, I did not buy one. :p

laceyfairy
December 4th, 2011, 08:28 AM
Fine hair shouldn't go past shoulder length. Blowfrying hair prevents frizz. Wash your hair everyday to keep it in good condition. Sulfates are gentle. Flat iron hair to make it shiny.
Seriously?

Vanilla
December 4th, 2011, 08:44 AM
Don't use any conditioner on your fine hair. It will make your hair greasy.

Thanks for the splits that ensued!

blondie9912
December 4th, 2011, 09:37 AM

LOL I heard this one too, and from the same girl I think! Very bad advice

beccababesx
December 4th, 2011, 09:52 AM
Oh I read this comment on youtube and immediately thought of this thread (You know you're a longhair when... :p )
"if u want to get rid of build up i found this in a magizine but it works for me and my hair is thick and coarse too but use any dish soap and it makes it smell pretty good the smell kinda fades though"
Aaaaaarrrghhh *cries*

Annalouise
December 4th, 2011, 09:54 AM
Don't use any conditioner on your fine hair. It will make your hair greasy.

Thanks for the splits that ensued!

Dito that.
But the all time worst hair experiment was WO.:(

Annibelle
December 4th, 2011, 09:59 AM
Dito that.
But the all time worst hair experiment was WO.:(

WO was bad for me, too. :( I lost a huge amount of hair. Now I've got tons of new growth sticking out of my head, though! Hehe. But WO taught me that oils don't get along with my scalp. Even putting oil on the scalp before showering results in a huge shed.

Orangerthanred
December 4th, 2011, 10:02 AM
That getting layers will 'debulk' your hair. Um, no it doesn't. My hair is a huge fluffball thanks to my stupid layers.

Egana
December 4th, 2011, 10:10 AM
I heard this one so many times! and I used to try it - ugh!

I was given a red plastic bristle brush when I was 10 and told to brush my hair 100 strokes every night to get is smooth and silky.

ummmm...

you mean puffy, broken, and frizzy? yes, that's what I thought you meant... my poor aunt had glossy, straight, smooth hair... she was really just trying to help, but what did she know about curls? nothing...

Zhennni(:
December 4th, 2011, 10:21 AM
that washing 3 times aday with different shampoo will make hair grow faster:o

amberpotamus
December 4th, 2011, 01:26 PM
"Flat ironing seals the cuticle and prevents damage--see how shiny it is? That obviously means it's healthier after than it was before."

That one is up there with, "The UV from tanning beds is actually good for you because it increases vitamin D and your skin soaks up other nutrients too!"

Sure. You can keep your shiny, dried out, broken hair and tanned, malignant skin. I'll keep my whirls and paleness. Let's talk again when we're both 65. Buh-bye now.

isabelx
December 4th, 2011, 01:30 PM
"Flat ironing seals the cuticle and prevents damage--see how shiny it is? That obviously means it's healthier after than it was before."

That one is up there with, "The UV from tanning beds is actually good for you because it increases vitamin D and your skin soaks up other nutrients too!"

Sure. You can keep your shiny, dried out, broken hair and tanned, malignant skin. I'll keep my whirls and paleness. Let's talk again when we're both 65. Buh-bye now.

:spitting: :laugh:

Miss Catrina
December 4th, 2011, 02:10 PM
Oh I read this comment on youtube and immediately thought of this thread (You know you're a longhair when... :p )
"if u want to get rid of build up i found this in a magizine but it works for me and my hair is thick and coarse too but use any dish soap and it makes it smell pretty good the smell kinda fades though"
Aaaaaarrrghhh *cries*

Oh lord. I feel like that would never wash out!

einna
December 4th, 2011, 03:10 PM
When you shampoo your hair, shampoo it twice - first to clean off the surface damage, and second to properly cleanse the hair - cleanse of what exactly?

My mother always said that when I was a kid... I have lots of fine, dry, porous, wavy hair. It got BIG after washing! I did this untill my late teens/early twenties. Not good for my hair...

And I found this at my mothers house, probably my sisters:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=7338&pictureid=120473

Hair styling, sure... But hair care?!? I think not.. Haha :P

CurlyCap
December 4th, 2011, 03:16 PM
"If you get a perm, your ringlets will look even all over" .....and I did :eek:

Gah! They got me with this one too! Well, it did make my hair fall out all over.

Rybe
December 4th, 2011, 03:26 PM

Well, it is true you need SOME sunlight to properly process your vitamin D...And lack of sunlight CAN be a health concern, especially further north. But the people who use tanning beds probably have WAY MORE than enough of their required light :p It seems like rumors that contain a nugget of truth are the most dangerous ones.

As for flat irons...I don't even...Have they ever noticed a correlation between flat surfaces and shiny? :rolleyes:

My only bad advice was layers. It'll make my hair have more volume, they said! And I fell for it. And wound up with flat choppy tangly hair instead. Wooooo :mad

Diamond.Eyes
December 4th, 2011, 06:09 PM
Haha probably that sea salt was good for your hair. I tried it once about 4 years ago and it sucked up all of the moisture in my hair. Sure it made it my hair curly, but it also dehydrated it. :(

amylou
December 5th, 2011, 09:14 AM
I heard the same thing about a tight pony tail, which is ridiculous. Also heard that trimming your hair 1/2 inch per month will make it grow. No that just makes it stay the same.

holothuroidea
December 5th, 2011, 09:27 AM
The worst advice I ever heard was, "hair doesn't break." I've heard this from a lot of people, all with impervious M/C hair that probably doesn't break but these people need to realize that other hair types are more fragile.

Aaaaaarrrghhh *cries*

Dish soap is basically really strong detergent that rinses clean, and in that way is not much different from shampoo. I imagine if you wanted to do a clarifying wash you could dilute your dish soap instead of buying a clarifying shampoo. It depends on the dish soap, though. Some have additives and most don't list their ingredients.

I don't think this is really bad advice, they just need to be more careful about specifying why and what.

honeyblonde
December 5th, 2011, 09:52 AM
That Pantene makes your hair fall out! :rolleyes:

I LOVE Pantene! I have used it for years....still have plenty of hair on my head.

Chamy
December 5th, 2011, 09:55 AM
"Colouring hair makes it healthier, and should be done regularly. If you dont want colour change, colour the hair in you natural colour, it will give your hair a lift."

That is just hillarious! :D

charchar1711
December 5th, 2011, 10:14 AM
'use a LOT of heat as it will make your hair grow much faster!' haha!

Saeth
December 5th, 2011, 10:54 AM
"Your hair is very fine and boring, you should get layers." Oh boy, did I regret that one!
"Your hair colour is very flat and lifeless. You should dye it, would you like us to dye it?"
"Your hair shouldn't go below shoulder length as your face is not right for it."

All in one appointment.

Ironic thing is now, with nearly waist length hair (haha at the hairdressers), when I'm having a good day, I feel my face looks better as it softens it.

Honestly, that salon session felt like jumping into a piranha pool.... And people wonder why I hate the places! :D

Amber_Maiden
December 5th, 2011, 11:02 AM
Best friend in high school: "can I cut your hair?"
Trimming every 6 weeks.

FrozenBritannia
December 5th, 2011, 11:14 AM
That Pantene makes your hair fall out! :rolleyes:

I LOVE Pantene! I have used it for years....still have plenty of hair on my head.

Lucky you! :)It actually does make my hair fall out.. And my aunts too. Globs of hair going down the drain. Maybe it's genetic?:confused:

Lissandria
December 5th, 2011, 03:07 PM

Yes me too.
I have been told so many times that I will never have long hair because it is so baby fine. Or that I should never have long hair because it so baby fine.
:angry:

maria_tasha
December 5th, 2011, 03:09 PM
You should get layers! On my straight hair, really?
You should dye your hair lighter! Me being a brunette with olive skin

ohhiitssteph
December 5th, 2011, 03:11 PM
"You should have your hair cut much shorter, that way it's not so long and poofy."

YEAH, because naturally cutting my curly hair to around shoulder-length is going to contain it muuuuch better than letting it be longer and therefore heavier would. This was when I was like 11 and enduring my ugly duckling phase, I have since learned much better than that and my hair is not a frizzball :P

Another gem of advice from a hairdresser:

"If you don't like your hair curly, straighten it every day. That will help."

YEAH THANKS that totally helped when I ended up with terrible, fried ends and had to get my hair practically cut into a bob. Did not look nice on me.

ohhiitssteph
December 5th, 2011, 03:13 PM
Oh-- also:

"I'm going to razor the ends of your hair to make them look more light and feathered." Yeah that went over well.

shesasmartass
December 5th, 2011, 06:28 PM
People with fine thin hair shouldn't have long hair.

akilina
December 5th, 2011, 06:47 PM
Hmm...that henna is very damaging and the worst thing you could do for your hair. HA yeah right!!

pinupdancer
December 5th, 2011, 07:30 PM
My dad always used to tell me that whipping your hair with a towel was better for it. You take the towel in each hand and then make it move in circles, like a jump rope, and then stick your hair in. :disgust: He said his ex did this all the time and she had long hair.

What in the world?? lol That is ridiculous. I would love to see someone do that, though! :laugh:

I have an old magazine from '64 and in it is an article with all sorts of crazy beauty tips. One of the them is the infamous "dye your hair to improve health and volume!!". So amazing. lol

luxepiggy
December 10th, 2011, 07:10 AM
I'd say it's a tie between "flat ironing your hair makes it healthier" and "it's not damaging to dye your hair if you do it at a salon."

rchorr
December 10th, 2011, 09:59 AM

Yeah, this one's been around FOREVER!!

RCHORR'

Chamy
December 10th, 2011, 10:02 AM
"it's not damaging to dye your hair if you do it at a salon."

Oh yeah, thats a good one! Haha, i hear this a lot.

honeyblonde
December 10th, 2011, 10:04 AM
it's not damaging to dye your hair if you do it at a salon."

SO TRUE! When I was getting my hair colored at the salon it would constanly break off!! Since I have been doing it myself, it has never been healthier.....I don't even get split ends now!

JadeTigress
December 10th, 2011, 12:24 PM
I had a hairdresser tell me that I needed to dye my hair to give it volume, precisely because it would damage my hair. He said the dye would damage my hair a bit, and the roughness from the damage would make my hair seem thicker. And this was when I was dealing with TE and losing tons and tons of hair, which I told him about (though at the time, I didn't know that it was TE; I just knew my hair was falling out). Which is why he suggested it in the first place, because I was worried about my hair getting too thin. So yes, let's purposefully damage what's left of my hair that's falling out by the handful. What a great idea.

Thanks, but no thanks, buddy.

Zesty
December 10th, 2011, 01:14 PM
I guess this isn't really advice, but in a conversation with a couple of friends a few weeks ago they said very confidently that some people who dye their hair for a long time eventually have it grow in that color. I was like "Um.... no. Hair dye doesn't do that."

Cjatje
December 10th, 2011, 01:35 PM
My mum tells me I hzve to shave of my son's hair to about short than zn inch, because it will get thicker...
My son has, from the day he was born, a huge amount of hair, very helathy, shiny, nicely smelling hair... i haven't washed it with shampoo since he was 4 months old, when I got in the 'alternative' cirquit, and I realised that there is NO need to wash my son's hair every 4 days..
O, I told this once to a hairdresser and she responded as follows:
Oh, for now thzt is ok, but when he gets older, he'll have to use shampoo, because an adult and a teenager touch their hair and it gets much dirtier... (npw I wondr... When my son was 3 months old, he often vomited, so that was dirty, how much grocer can it get? :D )

dwell_in_safety
December 10th, 2011, 02:06 PM
One of my friends with curly hair straightened her hair every day for several years because she thought it made it healthier.

Now under my influence she never brushes it anymore, only shampoos about once a week, and hasn't touched a straightener in about six months :D but that was an interesting belief.

ArienEllariel
December 10th, 2011, 02:18 PM
My only bad advice was layers. It'll make my hair have more volume, they said! And I fell for it. And wound up with flat choppy tangly hair instead. Wooooo :mad

Yep. They got me on that too. So I had flat tangly chin length hair for a while. It only looked good when beaten into submission at the hairdressers with a super hot hairfrier and a round brush. So not worth it.

gazelle
December 10th, 2011, 03:04 PM
"You are short, so short hair will be better for you"
"Henna will make your hair bad, don't use it. It coats your hair and prevent its breathing" :)
"When you make bun, you look older so don't make buns"

I couldn't choose which was the worst. The third one may be true but I don't agree

gazelle
December 10th, 2011, 03:08 PM
I'd say it's a tie between "flat ironing your hair makes it healthier" and "it's not damaging to dye your hair if you do it at a salon."

I heard similar things too much. If you do ..... process at a salon, it is not damaging because expert persons doing it.

MungoMania
December 10th, 2011, 03:17 PM
You'd look great in a pixie. :( I didn't.

piffyanne
December 10th, 2011, 04:09 PM
mine was `` bleach your hair platinium blonde, will look awesome``, considering i have a olive skin i am sure it would look awful heheheh

I've seen some people that look ok to me, but one of my long-held aesthetic opinions is that you should never dye your hair lighter than your skin tone. It just looks unnatural imho. (This is an opinion and is not meant to insult anyone who does so. Don't get upset!)

kristib123
December 10th, 2011, 05:56 PM
I'm new but I am going to contribute to this thread!

I think the worst was being told that short hair makes me look younger! I actually believed that and did keep it short for quite sometime and this was going from BSL to chin. I LOVE seeing older women with long hair and am tired of hearing that as you age your hair should shorten accordingly.

kristib123
December 10th, 2011, 06:01 PM
I got one more! When my hair was short and after having high/low lights the girl was flat ironing it when I noticed quite a bit of steam/smoke coming from my hair. Her response- that's normal. My poor hair back then :(

Miss Catrina
December 10th, 2011, 06:18 PM
I got one more! When my hair was short and after having high/low lights the girl was flat ironing it when I noticed quite a bit of steam/smoke coming from my hair. Her response- that's normal. My poor hair back then :(

Well, to be fair, it is normal (especially since I'm sure product residue was in it). :p If your hair was dry enough to not put out steam, you'd have a bigger problem!

Helene
December 10th, 2011, 06:35 PM
Trim your hair ever month and it will grow faster. Then there is the: dry your hair darker and it will automatically become healthier. Simply put, stupidity.

ArienEllariel
December 10th, 2011, 07:36 PM
Well, to be fair, it is normal (especially since I'm sure product residue was in it). :p If your hair was dry enough to not put out steam, you'd have a bigger problem!

I think what's more disturbing is that the heat impliment is hot enough to make your hair emit steam!

luxepiggy
December 10th, 2011, 09:36 PM

Actually, this is not true. Heat styling should only be done on dry hair. Using high heat on damp hair can cause water within the hair shaft to boil, permanently deforming & weakening the hair shaft (bubble hair (http://www.pgbeautygroomingscience.com/bubble-hair.html)). The trapped steam can even create enough pressure to rupture the cuticle from the inside.

Miss Catrina
December 10th, 2011, 09:46 PM
Actually, this is not true. Heat styling should only be done on dry hair. Using high heat on damp hair can cause water within the hair shaft to boil, permanently deforming & weakening the hair shaft (bubble hair (http://www.pgbeautygroomingscience.com/bubble-hair.html)). The trapped steam can even create enough pressure to rupture the cuticle from the inside.

Oh, I didn't mean ironing hair that was still wet. I meant more the product sitting on the outside of the hair. And I know I've ironed my completely dry, product-free hair before and still seen steam.... Who knows.

piffyanne
December 11th, 2011, 12:27 AM
"Cut your hair shorter, it'll make you seem taller."

Really, I don't care whether it's true or not, I'm not going to cut my hair to change my perceived height. In fact, I prefer being seen as "small" (one of my phrases for "small" is "piffy," and that's part of my LHC name).

Lianna
December 11th, 2011, 01:10 AM
That I should not wash my hair as often as I do.

So my head smells, itches, i can't run my hands through my hair, i start to shed a lot more and my growth falls near 0.25 inch a month. This is stretching 3 days.

I wash everyday, and with my current routine (S&C/oil) I have soft hair that grows at 0.8 inch a month.

Hollyfire3
December 11th, 2011, 01:44 AM
Fine hair shouldn't go past shoulder length. Blowfrying hair prevents frizz. Wash your hair everyday to keep it in good condition. Sulfates are gentle. Flat iron hair to make it shiny.
Seriously?

Wow have heard ALL of those, flat ironing fried my hair to no end! Blowfrying INCREASED frizz and Sulfates are only to be used when nessecsary oh the people give us this advice are crazy. They told me the same stuff as above.

KahRistAhn
December 11th, 2011, 01:53 AM
HAHAHAHA. I'm getting some amazingly hilarious mental images from this.

duchesswannabe
December 11th, 2011, 03:40 AM
When I was in my early twenties: "If you cut your hair, you will look older and sexier."
Older, maybe, I thought. But why rush it? Anyone who wants to date me because my hair is the regulation haircut of 198__ is a non-keeper in my book.
Sexier: In the eyes of the beholder, I thought.

raveness13
December 11th, 2011, 04:39 AM
Cut at least an inch of hair every six weeks. It will make your hair grow faster. 2 months = about 6 weeks. My average hair growth in 2 months =1 inch. Hmmmm...;)

shump76
December 11th, 2011, 04:43 AM
"You really need your hair thinned with a razor." And I let it happen for years.

THIS!!! Oh, it's the worst. Any stylist that mentions "thinning" or wants to put a razor near my hair for any reason is immediately on my blacklist FOREVER. I have enough problems with frizz, I do not need the help of a razor. :mad:

tamchronic
December 11th, 2011, 07:00 AM
It wasn't so much 'advice' as an opinion: my mother told me that day-to-day 'wear and tear' doesn't damage hair. I just had to laugh. You'd think the very phrase 'wear and tear' would give away the absurdity of her statement! Worst of all, she is a hairdresser. Or, she was a hairdresser -- in the 1980s, which we all know was the best decade for healthy hair care...

racrane
December 11th, 2011, 09:33 AM
I've heard "People think long hair is gross now. Cut your hair like you did before" (my bob which I could never style quite right and hated it)

...Made me very upset.

Ardellis
December 11th, 2011, 09:41 AM
One day after school with two friends, all of us age 15:

Friend 1: "You'd look really good with bangs."
Friend 2: "Oh, yes! Let me get some scissors!"

Those bangs were horrific. They would have been horrific, even if they had actually turned out the way my friends wanted them to. It took *forever* to grow them out again.

giuditta
December 11th, 2011, 11:01 AM
Cut your thin hair in layers it will make it thicker - NOT, it just thins it more
Don't use henna it's bad for your hair - HUH?

Dragon
December 15th, 2011, 05:52 AM
This isn't advice but it is weird. Once your hair reaches your ankles it will no longer grow. The earth is too cold and will automatically stop the growth of your hair.

duchesswannabe
December 15th, 2011, 05:57 AM
This isn't advice but it is weird. Once your hair reaches your ankles it will no longer grow. The earth is too cold and will automatically stop the growth of your hair.

I smiled for the first time today. This is hysterical.

door72067
December 15th, 2011, 07:33 PM
you would look better blonde

I bleached my medium brunette hair sunny blonde for years

Miss Catrina
December 15th, 2011, 07:38 PM

Did this person live in the arctic? :p

MissAlyssa
December 15th, 2011, 10:31 PM
At dbf's band practice, he just got a trim(he's not a long hair) from his friend's mom, then his friend's girlfriend tells him it would look better if he straightened it. I wanted to smack her. He has fine thinning blonde 1b hair, that I just convinced him to wash with a more gentle shampoo because his stripped it and made it really dry. It looks better now than I've ever seen it. And hers is chemically dyed and straightened to death with broken little hair sticking up everywhere. Don't tell my bf what to do with his hair, you don't know what you're talking about. >.< /rant

Aeris
December 15th, 2011, 10:35 PM
Lather, rinse...and repeat.

:eek: Not unless I just mud-wrestled a skunk.

christine1989
December 15th, 2011, 10:40 PM
I have gotten the "it would look better bleach blonde" comment quite often. Considering I'm exceptionally pale, if I dyed my hair bleach blonde I'm afraid I would dissappear against a light background :laugh:.

cubiczoeconia
December 16th, 2011, 12:40 AM

Thank you for beating me to this! I understand everyone has had bad experiences at salons here, but I often get very bummed out at the "hating" on all professionals. Some of us are very knowledgeable and even covet/want to protect your long hair! Heat styling is not inherently evil, and steam often occurs due to the PROTECTANTS we use, sparing your hair.

cubiczoeconia
December 16th, 2011, 12:44 AM

On that note... does anyone on LHC have ankle-length hair...?

Tennessee Rose
December 16th, 2011, 04:13 PM

Classic one!

Miss Catrina
December 16th, 2011, 04:57 PM
Thank you for beating me to this! I understand everyone has had bad experiences at salons here, but I often get very bummed out at the "hating" on all professionals. Some of us are very knowledgeable and even covet/want to protect your long hair! Heat styling is not inherently evil, and steam often occurs due to the PROTECTANTS we use, sparing your hair.

:) I'm in school to be a stylist. I understand.

Miss Catrina
December 16th, 2011, 04:58 PM

I feel like there are one or two, but I don't know their usernames.

Maddy_T
December 16th, 2011, 07:14 PM
Cut your thin hair in layers it will make it thicker - NOT, it just thins it more
Don't use henna it's bad for your hair - HUH?

TOTALLY agree with the top part, I have pretty fine hair and for some reason HD's always try to convince me to get layers for 'volume' it looks ok when they blow it out but then when I get home and wash it my hair always looks thinner than ever with flippy, frizzed ends all over my head. Thin hair imo looks way better one length. I don't know where the 'thicker with layers' logic comes from anyway, cut any amount of hair off at the midlengths and it's going to be thinner.
(Not bashing HD's at all, I have a fantastic one now!)

Miss Catrina
December 16th, 2011, 07:25 PM
TOTALLY agree with the top part, I have pretty fine hair and for some reason HD's always try to convince me to get layers for 'volume' it looks ok when they blow it out but then when I get home and wash it my hair always looks thinner than ever with flippy, frizzed ends all over my head. Thin hair imo looks way better one length. I don't know where the 'thicker with layers' logic comes from anyway, cut any amount of hair off at the midlengths and it's going to be thinner.

I think it's because since layers are shorter lengths of hair, they have less weight and therefore more potential to expand outward from the rest of the hair, making it look like there's more there. But the concept falls flat (literally) many times as most people are not willing and/or able to round brush and blow dry their own hair.

Maddy_T
December 16th, 2011, 07:33 PM
I think it's because since layers are shorter lengths of hair, they have less weight and therefore more potential to expand outward from the rest of the hair, making it look like there's more there. But the concept falls flat (literally) many times as most people are not willing and/or able to round brush and blow dry their own hair.

Yeah! for sure... :) if i was willing to spend ages heat styling my hair daily, they would probably look alright. I guess it's a vicious cycle anyway as people with thin hair who use heat styling to make their volumizing layers look good will probably end up making their hair thinner from damage!!. The curse of thin hair!!! :(

holothuroidea
December 16th, 2011, 07:34 PM

The PP pretty much summed it up but I'd also like to add that if your hair is slightly wavy and is wavier when it is shorter (like mine) getting layers gives you more waves. More waves=more body=more volume. Layers always make my hair appear thicker even though it is very fine and fairly thin.

Face framing layers can be a good idea too. Sometimes straight, fine, thin hair that is long can draw your face in a line straight to the floor and be unflattering, and some layers around the face can lift the eye up.

It doesn't actually make it thicker, obviously, it's about eye tricks.

apple cupcake
December 16th, 2011, 11:42 PM
"Don't ever use any products. Ever."

Yeah, that didn't really work when my hair turned into a frizzy, tangly lion's mane without my treatment stuff ): Some people's hair just acts better with product.

palaeoqueen
January 12th, 2012, 04:38 PM
I've had lots of terrible hair advice over the years:

From various hairdressers:
1) Your hair is so soft and fine, if you have highlights it'll cause a bit of damage and rough up the surface making your hair look thicker with more body.

This was after I'd gone to a new place and told him I was going back to my natural colour. I don't know how but he managed to talk me into getting a huge amount of bleach highlights, which I then maintained for several months.

2) (Same guy as above when I showed him an area of damaged hair that looked like cotton wool after said several months of bleaching) Oh no, that's fine, we'll just carry on bleaching it...

We didn't, I'm not that daft that but we did "compromise" on me having darker highlights instead of the natural colour blend in that I wanted. Why did I agree? It's my hair!

2) Layers will really help give your straight hair more body and movement.

My hair isn't straight! I currently have long-ish layers which are ok but short layers just stick out everywhere and look dreadful.

3) Brazilian blow drys are actually good for your hair!

Yes I actually had it done, why am I so stupid? It didn't even end up all that straight.

4) It's fine to straighten your hair as long as it's not every single day.

From other people:
1) You need a root perm to give your hair more lift and body.

2) Your hair is too fine to have longer than shoulder length, it won't suit you.

There are probably more but those are the first that spring to mind.

Long_hair_bear
January 12th, 2012, 04:44 PM
The worst is " if you cut it, it will grow faster." yyyyaaaaaa...... Nuh uh! The other one was to try redkens products. My hair hated them like heat! :run:

long&blonde
January 12th, 2012, 04:51 PM
I agree with "cut it, makes your hair grow faster." Along with "Cut it for summer, it will be cooler, and by winter it will have grown back in." And "Get a perm! A body perm!"

Mesmerise
January 12th, 2012, 05:41 PM
I agree with "cut it, makes your hair grow faster." Along with "Cut it for summer, it will be cooler, and by winter it will have grown back in." And "Get a perm! A body perm!"

Yah, because my hair grows 24" in 6 months... :rolleyes:

blondie9912
January 13th, 2012, 07:54 PM
Yah, because my hair grows 24" in 6 months... :rolleyes:

So true! I suppose because most folks would cut back to Shoulder in April or so, so by November their hair would be brushing APL.

Allychan
January 13th, 2012, 10:53 PM
"Brazilian Keratin Treatments are good for your hair. They actually help rebuild it by infusing it with Keratin. The heat from the straightener will seal it in, so run it over your hair each morning." The results are still evident in my profile picks. It is going to take another YEAR to grow out the damage this 'treatment' did to my hair.
Another unhelpful piece of advice was that Henna is bad for your hair and very drying!!

the.fee.fairy
January 14th, 2012, 01:20 AM
I guess this isn't really advice, but in a conversation with a couple of friends a few weeks ago they said very confidently that some people who dye their hair for a long time eventually have it grow in that color. I was like "Um.... no. Hair dye doesn't do that."

I wish! It would save me a fortune if my hair grew purple! I've been dyeing it for about 10 years and it STILL doesn't grow in purple!

slightly off-topic though, i did hear that if you put food colouring in a budgie's water it will make their feathers grow that colour. I always wanted to try that one...

I read once that that was the best marketing idea ever - it increases sales of shampoo, and therefore increases profit!

On the dyeing front again...i do find that veggie dyes DO make my hair feel more conditioned and healthier. I can tell (not just by the colour fade) if i haven't dyed for a long time. My hair doesn't feel right and starts to feel dry.

I was told my a hairdresser once that they couldn't possible dye my whole head after highlights (i wanted pink over highlights so that my hair would be dark pink with flourescent pink highlights). They highlighted, then dumped their dye on my highlights (crazy colour...in the pink bottles...worst hairdye ever!). When they'd finished, i had brown hair, some blonde hair at the roots, a platinum blob at the crown and a wisp of pink. I got home, put a pot of dye over the top and FINALLY got what i wanted!

auburntressed
January 14th, 2012, 01:32 AM
"Brazilian Keratin Treatments are good for your hair. They actually help rebuild it by infusing it with Keratin. The heat from the straightener will seal it in, so run it over your hair each morning." The results are still evident in my profile picks. It is going to take another YEAR to grow out the damage this 'treatment' did to my hair.
Another unhelpful piece of advice was that Henna is bad for your hair and very drying!!
Gah! My mom had some nutjob hairdresser convince her that blow drying, followed by straight ironing her hair after every single wash makes her hair healthier. The logic? Because the heat SEALS IN the product that she's putting into her hair that's supposed to make it shiny and strong.

Sorry, but no. She won't lower herself to take advice from me, though. How could I possibly know what I am talking about? Hair stylists are sooo much smarter than I am, despite the fact that 90&#37; don't have hair as long or thick as mine. Oh, and I can't possibly know anything about frizz or curls, despite the fact that I fought with them for the better part of my adolescence. Right.

Heat and more heat - that's the way to go.

Allychan
January 14th, 2012, 01:40 AM
Gah! My mom had some nutjob hairdresser convince her that blow drying, followed by straight ironing her hair after every single wash makes her hair healthier. The logic? Because the heat SEALS IN the product that she's putting into her hair that's supposed to make it shiny and strong.

Sorry, but no. She won't lower herself to take advice from me, though. How could I possibly know what I am talking about? Hair stylists are sooo much smarter than I am, despite the fact that 90% don't have hair as long or thick as mine. Oh, and I can't possibly know anything about frizz or curls, despite the fact that I fought with them for the better part of my adolescence. Right.

Heat and more heat - that's the way to go.

My twin sister wont take any of my advice either! Even though my hair has grown TWICE it's length since I started researching. A hairdresser told her, her terminal length is 6inches?:confused: She has decided it must be true and refuses to believe anything else.
And yes, she really wants long hair but wont give any of my ideas a go.

the.fee.fairy
January 14th, 2012, 01:40 AM
My LAST visit to the hairdressers:

(me, 18, hip length hair): I'd like a trim please.
(hairdresser): Sure, how much do you want taken off?
me: well, it hasn't been trimmed for a year or so, so take an inch off please.
HD: ok.
HD: hmm...there's some damage here. You should cut a bit more off.
Me: how much do you suggest?
HD: about 6"
me: NO NO NO NO NO Cut two inches off, maximum.
HD: ok :)
me: that's a lot more than two inches
HD: yeah, well, i decided to take all your damage off
me: it wasn't damage, it was fairytale ends
HD: no, no, it was damage, the ends don't do that unless they're damaged. I decided it would be better for your hair if i took them off.
me: do you think i'm going to pay for this? you've cut my lovely hip length locks to shoulder!
HD: :/

Fairytale ends...gone...lovely hair...gone...

HD: At least it'll be easier to deal with now :D
me :(

And that, ladies and gentlemen is why i don't trust anyone except my lovely auntie to go near my hair with scissors! My auntie dusts...literally. Once she took off a centimetre because i'd cut it a bit wrong, and she picked up the bit and said 'that's the only long bit i'm taking off...honestly, it's because you missed a chunk trimming...the rest is millimetres'

The advice to use a round brush to brush my hair was pretty disastrous...one stroke and the thing was stuck!

auburntressed
January 14th, 2012, 01:48 AM
The advice to use a round brush to brush my hair was pretty disastrous...one stroke and the thing was stuck!I used to get my mom's round brush stuck in my hair on purpose when I was a kid. Because I thought it was fun.

... she did not think it was fun getting it out.

fleurdelis
January 19th, 2012, 09:38 AM
"Do not try growing your hair longer, becuase it will not get longer anyway: it&#180;s too fine, and mine never fot longer then shoulder length" (my mum)

"Do not ever colour it red again"

hmm....*points at her siggy*

"You have to go to a hairdresser every 3 (or something) months, in order for your hair to look good." Well, actually...my hair never looked as good as when I did not even see a hairdresser for two years...and, suprise suprise, it actually finally got long when no one was cutting it!

:-D

white.chocolate
January 19th, 2012, 09:55 AM
A relative used to tell me, "Have a haircut, so your hair will grow thicker."

I used to blowdry my hair before but I would leave the ends of my hair still wet. Someone else told me at one time, "Dry your ends! Your hair will feel cold!" I was dumbfounded.

CarpeDM
January 19th, 2012, 10:13 AM

This one!!!

pepperminttea
January 19th, 2012, 10:15 AM
I used to get my mom's round brush stuck in my hair on purpose when I was a kid. Because I thought it was fun.

... she did not think it was fun getting it out.

Oh goodness, one of my friends did this recently - she caught it in the very front of her hairline and it had to be cut out, she had a spiky fringe for months! I did the same thing when I was younger, in the side and it had to be cut out too. I wouldn't go near the things now! :run:

Damiana
January 19th, 2012, 01:14 PM
...That my hair would look stupid if it was all one length (apart from my bangs!) and that I needed layers for the sake of giving it more body. Told to me by senior stylist.
Also that Henna was damaging - by the same woman.
Another woman told me I should definitely get weaves as this would make it look even better...
Back in the 80's I had a "body" perm - shaggy dog look.
Back in the 90's had perm with layers "because I needed them" the result was awful and I lost a lot of length.
It's took 4 years to grow my layers out since the "senior stylist" cut them, never again!

Kamir0
January 19th, 2012, 01:24 PM

I think I know the one! :lol:

My sister has had it done for years. Her pony is a solid iii so she says if she doesn't have it thinned out, it is too expensive to dye... :rolleyes:

I wish I could convince her to:
1) use henna/herbs instead of supermarket dye
2) stop having her hair thinned out
3) stop using heat
4) grow her hair to classic length (it would look awesome!).

I actually burst out laughing at that comment! :lol:

I can think of two members off the top of my head:
Carrie Ingalls (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/member.php?u=22397)
arc691 (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/member.php?u=33884)

Oh goodness, one of my friends did this recently - she caught it in the very front of her hairline and it had to be cut out, she had a spiky fringe for months! I did the same thing when I was younger, in the side and it had to be cut out too. I wouldn't go near the things now! :run:

It happened to me too when I was about 10. I wanted to see what a fringe would look like so I rolled my hair around the brush all the way up. :o
It was really tangled, but I think my mother must have managed to salvage it because I don't remember having a fringe afterwards. :lol:

PrairieRose
January 19th, 2012, 01:32 PM
I have been told,"Fine hair needs damage, like from dye or a perm, to give it body":rolleyes:

misspixie
January 19th, 2012, 01:32 PM

ohmygosh, i have never laughed so hard in my life. lol i cant believe some people would actually think that!

ladonna
January 19th, 2012, 03:26 PM
Curly hair must be layered or it wont curl. You have curly hair so it wont grow longer than shoulder length. That last one my aunt told me and then I told her my hair was to my waist lmao.

blondyhead
January 19th, 2012, 03:32 PM
' Teasing your hair encourages growth, and gives body ' LOL!!!!!!

PurusNox
January 19th, 2012, 03:35 PM
Not so much advice but I remember my mum saying to my little sister that she won't ever be able to have hair as long as my cousins (It was past waist) because it wasn't thick enough O.o

cremenoir
January 19th, 2012, 03:48 PM
Getting a "gloss treatment" (aka putting demi-permanent developer on your hair with a clear filler instead of colored dye) will make your hair healthier! ...Not. I used to work at a fancy salon that sold this 'treatment' all the time. Made my hair feel like (shiny) straw. Putting any amount of peroxide on your hair, even the small amount in demi dye, is never a good thing. I could go on all day about the abuses/bad advice of even the most well-intentioned stylists.

cremenoir
January 19th, 2012, 03:54 PM
PS... I don't mean to make it sound like all stylists are evil, I used to be one, and I still do a lot of work on the side. It is a fact though that in order to keep your job as a stylist, there is a ton of pressure to sell unnecessary and/or ill-advised services and products... part of the reason I quit that line of work! But I know that despite that, there many caring, well-informed stylists out there... keep it up!

lunamummy
January 19th, 2012, 04:04 PM
I kept my hair to chin-length for years because my hairdresser told me longer hair made me look older. I don't go there anymore :-D

lunamummy
January 19th, 2012, 04:07 PM
Getting a "gloss treatment" (aka putting demi-permanent developer on your hair with a clear filler instead of colored dye) will make your hair healthier! ...Not.

Huh - thanks for telling us about that. I had no idea that was all those gloss treatments were! I've been sorely tempted many times, because my hair was so dull. (Now I've given up hairdryers and straighteners that doesn't seem to be the case so often anymore).

Veviticus
January 25th, 2012, 12:44 PM
I've heard people say that NOT washing your dreadlocks will make them grow:disgust::disgust:

mariazelie
January 25th, 2012, 05:09 PM
Conditioning only was bad advice for me. After a few weeks my hair was stiff and started to break. At first it seemed to add body, but it passed a point that was a mess!

RitaPG
January 25th, 2012, 06:18 PM
This one I have received often on LHC - That I have to use clarifying shampoo after COwashing for a while. I understand the idea behind it, and it makes sense, but this depends a lot on the products, the water and the hairtype, and the few times I use shampoo, I don't even need to use a clarifying one.

The usual ones from friends and other acquaintances:
- The more you cut it, the more it will grow.
Truth is, if you trim your ends to keep them free of damage, you get a healthy hemline and growth will show, as opposed to having lots of damage, which is counterproductive because instead of growing it long, it keeps breaking.
- That layering my hair would make it have more volume.
And this is not true, I've seen it before and it's horrible; straight hair won't get more volume from layering, it will only look scraggly and thin.
- You have to wash it everyday (yeah, dry skin and all, no thank you)
- That the hair straightener flattens the cuticles and makes hair retain its moisture. Really? :disgust:
- That oil and henna are bad for hair.
While this is wrong, I understand why they say it, this usually comes from salon people, they know their products and know which one works best for each hairtype, but they weren't taught to use oil or henna. Besides, they have to sell their products, so I just let it slide.
- Tight ponytails and braids stimulate the root and make hair grow faster shudder:

I could go on all day, but these are the ones I hear the most.

Ligeia_13
January 25th, 2012, 06:33 PM

Nyaaargh :mad: My mother used to say this to me every single year.

blondie9912
January 25th, 2012, 07:01 PM
Huh - thanks for telling us about that. I had no idea that was all those gloss treatments were! I've been sorely tempted many times, because my hair was so dull. (Now I've given up hairdryers and straighteners that doesn't seem to be the case so often anymore).

Same here, I didn't know this. I thought it was just something silicone laden to make your hair look glossy! Thanks for sharing :)

planetqueenie
January 25th, 2012, 07:15 PM
The worst hair advice I ever heard came from a very kind older lady, who I was expressing my desire for longer hair to. She advised, " well what you should do is comb and brush your hair while it's wet to STRETCH it out." I was only 9 maybe, and even then I thought, that doesn't sound very good:)

As for washing your hair twice, if you are using a harsh shampoo, that is definately bad advice, all it will do is dry, dry, dry your hair out! However, cleansing your scalp properly can help your hair grow. It lifts away excess build up of oils and dead skin cells allowing your scalp to function better. I agree with the woman who said that washing her hair as often as she needs to reduces shedding and helped her to grow her hair faster, as I have had the same experience.

One more thing, trimming, not cutting, meaning taking off a centimeter or two, every season, can help your hair grow BETTER. I am a total believer in the lunar hair chart which you can find at morroccomethod.com. It has a list of the best days to trim your hair(or cut) for maximum benefit, which at the very least is cool and very helpful at best.

Sushi144
January 25th, 2012, 07:30 PM
It's not exactly an advice, but a friend of mine almost forced me to blowdry my hair once I was sleeping at her house. But I was holding it quite far from my hair because it felt like burning, so actually it was quite useless ! :lol:

YesitsReal
January 25th, 2012, 07:52 PM
Heard this one just a week or two ago:

"We learned in beauty school that you should wash your hair once a week with Dawn to get all the buildup out." :shudder:

I went to the girl she said it to and told her, "Please don't wash your hair with Dawn." She said, "Don't worry. I wasn't going to!" lol.

Carissamarie08
January 25th, 2012, 08:02 PM
Lol when I was in beauty school they told us to use dawn to fade hair color.

YesitsReal
January 25th, 2012, 08:15 PM
Lol when I was in beauty school they told us to use dawn to fade hair color.

Ok, so I might have followed this advice. Once. But it did actually fade my color.

...And turned my hair to hay...

But it did fade my color! :D

Veviticus
January 26th, 2012, 01:14 PM
Heard this one just a week or two ago:

"We learned in beauty school that you should wash your hair once a week with Dawn to get all the buildup out." :shudder:

I went to the girl she said it to and told her, "Please don't wash your hair with Dawn." She said, "Don't worry. I wasn't going to!" lol.

Well, the Dawn dish washing liquid does clarify and strip hair (It's what used to bathe animals that have been trapped in oil spills) especially if you have dreadlocks. It's non-toxic. But never do it every week or you won't have any hair left :bigeyes:!
After you use it you must condition, and moisturize.

MissHair
January 26th, 2012, 01:17 PM
''If you want long hair, you need to cut it every month''

Renate
January 26th, 2012, 01:29 PM
Not exactly an advice, but while I was combing my 10 year old sister's hair, I asked her if she wanted to grow it long. She said yes and added: "I have to cut it every month, right?" and I was like NOOO NO NONONONO WHO TOLD YOU THAT lol..

She agreed with letting me trim her hair from now on :)

Tota
January 26th, 2012, 01:33 PM
A standard statement of a stylist: You have very thin hair. You need layers because they will give you volume.

Hollyfire3
January 26th, 2012, 01:40 PM
A standard statement of a stylist: You have very thin hair. You need layers because they will give you volume.

Oh wow, layers just thin the ends out, they are good for those (me) who have frizz and heavy waves because they make the weight fall better without one huge mess, i have had them forever but will never forget the crazy curls i got from too many layers...i hated that stylist so much because i had only asked for a trim!

growfro
January 26th, 2012, 01:41 PM
While having a conversation about growing my hair out the other day to waist length, a friend suggested I get extensions "beaded" in, and as a plus, they do not damage your hair.. :bigeyes:

styric
January 26th, 2012, 02:15 PM
Getting a "gloss treatment" (aka putting demi-permanent developer on your hair with a clear filler instead of colored dye) will make your hair healthier! ...Not. I used to work at a fancy salon that sold this 'treatment' all the time. Made my hair feel like (shiny) straw. Putting any amount of peroxide on your hair, even the small amount in demi dye, is never a good thing. I could go on all day about the abuses/bad advice of even the most well-intentioned stylists.

I just got told this. I trust the stylist NOT to touch any more length than I ask for (she'll show me the pieces every once in awhile to ask if it's good) and treats my hair like it's gold. She also introduced me to Super Skinny Serum which is fantastic on my ends to keep them from getting tangled in each other constantly. I can handle a bit of bad advice as long as she respects my right to look at her like she grew another head.

ScarlettAdelle
January 26th, 2012, 04:01 PM
40vol developer + bleach + fine hair = chemical haircut on 3 spots of my hair.

TheUdoon
January 26th, 2012, 06:15 PM
"You need some layering, let me just get my razor"

And I let them, for years even! Good thing I've at least "seen the light" here at LHC.

jessa
January 26th, 2012, 07:02 PM
I was told to wash hair twice with shampoo and then condition once ONLY the mid lengths and ends by a hairdresser from one of my citys most expensive and renown hair salons. I did this for YEARS until I joined LHC and my eyes were opened.

Hollyfire3
January 26th, 2012, 07:11 PM
Not really advice but i thought it was funny...the suave clarifying shapoo which i just bought a used is called daily clarifying shampoo...really? clarify daily? great advice....lol

angelshair
January 27th, 2012, 06:55 AM

I don't strictly know if this is true, but in the commentary for "pride and prejudice" they said that one of the actors was rather miffed because his naturally blonde hair kept growing out red after being coloured red for the role of Mr. Bingley??

wandlimb
January 27th, 2012, 08:12 AM
I was told to wash hair twice with shampoo and then condition once ONLY the mid lengths and ends by a hairdresser from one of my citys most expensive and renown hair salons. I did this for YEARS until I joined LHC and my eyes were opened.

I do this! My hair seems to like it :rolleyes:

einna
January 27th, 2012, 08:50 AM
The worst hair advice I ever heard came from a very kind older lady, who I was expressing my desire for longer hair to. She advised, " well what you should do is comb and brush your hair while it's wet to STRETCH it out." I was only 9 maybe, and even then I thought, that doesn't sound very good:)

That is bad advice. Hahaha!

Aliantha
January 27th, 2012, 09:38 AM
Cutting layers into your hair will give it volume, "movement", and help it look thicker. :mad:
Your hair is too thin to grow out long; better cut it to your shoulders.

AndreaPetrea
January 27th, 2012, 09:59 AM
When I was around 15 a hairdresser wanted to dye my hair to make it more shiny. She could even dye it in my natural colour... I didn't take her advice.

Me hair WAS like straw back then, even though I never used heat. But I didn't know about conditioner, and I washed my hair everyday with SLS shampoo. What can I say? I'm from a pixie cut family.

MissHair
January 27th, 2012, 11:14 AM
Am I the only one who thinks hairdressers/co-workers/friends give bad advice because they are jealous? I get that impression when you think about all the horrific advice people have been given over time.

HappyHair87
January 27th, 2012, 11:25 AM
For me? Combing on dry hair.

I also saw an article the other day while browsing the web that said that African hair doesn't grow....uhhhhhhh...mine is growing like a weed! Always has...i'm just glad i know how to care for it now to retain my growth.

Also...the "ethnic" hair section in grocery and drug stores...are shelves filled with bad advice...and i HATE how they segregate the sections. It bothers me a lil bit:(

TiffanieJean
January 27th, 2012, 11:34 AM

SAME!!

I got a razor cut a couple times around 14-16. I was also straightening my hair and didn't know my true hair type at the time. I got the worst split ends you could ever imagine. I'm talking about 20 splits on one hair! I started to get more into hair and beauty info (thankfully) around the same time and figured out that I have FINE hair, and I was doing just about everything wrong lol.

duchesswannabe
January 27th, 2012, 12:09 PM
Also...the "ethnic" hair section in grocery and drug stores...are shelves filled with bad advice...and i HATE how they segregate the sections. It bothers me a lil bit:(

Yeah, I don't like the segregation bit, either.

IndigoOptimist
January 27th, 2012, 12:32 PM
"If you straighten your hair when it's wet and hold the iron on for a long time the heat will encourage growth"!! From a video I watched on YouTube a while ago ;)

Veviticus
January 27th, 2012, 12:36 PM
Cutting layers into your hair will give it volume, "movement", and help it look thicker. :mad:
Your hair is too thin to grow out long; better cut it to your shoulders.

Yeah, I fell for this (last year) one too. Someone told me the same thing about cutting my locks in layers on top. Thank goodness I didn't trim off too much. And NO it didn't work!:mad:

growfro
January 27th, 2012, 12:40 PM
Am I the only one who thinks hairdressers/co-workers/friends give bad advice because they are jealous? I get that impression when you think about all the horrific advice people have been given over time.

Me too!! When my hair gets to past BSL I've had people tell me it's "getting too long" and that I *need* a haircut. And not because it is unhealthy, simply for the fact that it is too long for the world to accept. And that's just past BSL! Not even "long" yet!

One of my girlfriends went to the salon a few weeks ago to get her haircut from waist length to BSL and the woman cut her hair to APL. My friend was very upset and about to cry when all of the women in the salon said "It'll grow back!! Plus you needed a cut, it is way too long!". Mind you, the other women had BSL+ hair.

honeydippedxo
January 27th, 2012, 11:43 PM
I've gotten only one piece of advice about my hair.
"When you cut your hair, it grows faster because you got rid of all the extra weight the length was putting on your scalp."

This girl I knew once said..
"My hair grows fast because I tug on the roots a lot by tying it tight and straightening it a lot."

I didn't say anything but I thought to myself "No, that's the reason you have to chop it all off once you reach the length you want and need to start all over again." Oh well.

Mesmerise
January 28th, 2012, 06:46 AM
Well I had a different experience today!

My friend was telling me to STOP cutting my hair! I'm cutting out old damage, and don't really see the point of growing right now, when my hair actually looks pretty bad. I figured I'd sort of maintain it at a shorter length until I've got all my healthy hair, and THEN I'd go flat out growing!

But she's telling me not to cut ;) (She actually said I shouldn't cut for a year!). Very different from those who seem to think that you SHOULD cut your hair!!

Aliantha
January 28th, 2012, 09:40 AM
No, lol...that's what my husband tells me! He says they want us to chop off our beautiful locks because they are jealous or not brave enough to depart from the herd and do something different and grow out their own. He also tells me that's why I never get compliments on my hair from friends/family, just random observations about Locks of Love. I used to get lots of compliments on my shoulder length hair.

Red Rapunzel
January 28th, 2012, 10:07 AM
Worst advice (not taken): You should cut your hair and donate it to Locks of Love!

Snippety
January 28th, 2012, 11:05 AM
You'd better cut your hair before you have your baby because you won't have time to look after it when he's small.

You'd better cut your hair now that you're thirty / forty.

You should dye your hair because all the grey makes you look like a granny.

none of this advice was taken :D

Littlewing13
January 29th, 2012, 12:52 AM
trim about half an inch off every month. Most peoples hair only grows that much in a month!

Shesta
January 29th, 2012, 01:22 AM
"Get sober! Cut you hair to a pixie - the longer it is the the more energy it suck out of you"

That actually came out of my dad. He never approved or understood my keenness on long hair.

papera
January 29th, 2012, 08:35 AM
On YouTube: Teasing your hair is not damaging at all, it just adds more volume!
And from a sales assistant: No, the curling iron is not damaging at all to your long hair, because heat makes hair more shiny and sooo pretty!!

Yeah, right :rolleyes: :doh:

irishlady
January 29th, 2012, 08:59 AM
A stylist told me to try this chemical laden serum for my hair, because it's dry..and then blowfry it to get it to set.

Uh huh sure, I'll stick to my coconut oil and aloe vera thanks, it's natural, cheap and works like a charm. When I told her that I don't use heat and I use coconut oil she went very quiet and changed the subject knowing she's not going to sell her silly products to me lol.

holothuroidea
January 30th, 2012, 06:44 AM

I generally take a look at the "ethnic" hair sections in stores, and a lot of it is stuff like "growth serum" and things of that nature, which could never possibly work. I agree, it's upsetting.

The segregation of hair care sections bothers me, too, mostly because stuff that works for Afro hair can work for fine hair or curly hair even if your skin's not black.

"Get sober! Cut you hair to a pixie - the longer it is the the more energy it suck out of you"

That actually came out of my dad. He never approved or understood my keenness on long hair.

That is really one of the strangest superstitions I've ever heard!

Vanille_
January 30th, 2012, 07:01 AM
<snip>
<snip>

My husband was told to use dawn on his boots when he gets back from a rig to remove oil.

Caringformyhair
January 30th, 2012, 08:53 AM
I had a hairdresser take to my APL - already fine hair - with thinning scissors telling me it'll tidy up the 'damage', I now have millions of little whispies all over. Darn it.

Of the Fae
January 30th, 2012, 09:04 AM
This guy from a hairdressers store sold me a dark red temporary dye, and said: If you want the colour to not get so dark you should bleach it in advance. I didn't, because I wanted a dark red- and still my hair turned BRIGHT ORANGE- right the same week that Holland was playing soccer in the European finals (and that colour is the colour of the team).... I'm not a supporter.

StPaulaGirl
January 30th, 2012, 09:38 AM
I had a hairdresser take to my APL - already fine hair - with thinning scissors telling me it'll tidy up the 'damage', I now have millions of little whispies all over. Darn it.

I've had hairdressers do that on my fine hair as well. :confused: Ugh. Never again.

Mirsha
January 30th, 2012, 09:42 AM
Advice to a curly lady from a hairdresser:

(client complains about poofy hair syndrome)
HD: "Don't brush your hair when dry, it will make it poofy."
Client: "Are you crazy? Brushing hair when it's wet is SO damaging!"
HD couldn't convince the lady and she stormed out of the salon later.

Good advice gone bad I suppose!

Starry_Eyed
January 30th, 2012, 06:27 PM
"Long hair is boring and short hair is sophisticated and sexy - you should cut your fine hair . . ."

And I have one or twice in my life, rather short. That's when I learned the hard truth: short hair is far worse than long hair if you don't know how to style hair at all. At least long hair falls behind your back, but short hair is right up against your face.

There are some really good stylists out there, but I think there's a lot of ill informed ones too. I switched stylists when my old stylist cut my waist length hair to BSL (at my request) and made a snotty comment about "now let's try keeping it there". Last time I checked lady you weren't some hair guru that should be telling me how to wear my hair . . . I found a new stylist who is very sweet. Unfortunately, she too is ill informed about henna, cones, and the like. She told me she actually wants long hair, but can't grow it out beyond shoulder blade length because it all just breaks off. :( Maybe next time I go in I'll tell her about this forum so she can do some of her own research. I don't trust all stylist schools to be honest enough to not push their students to sell salon products.

RitaPG
January 30th, 2012, 06:57 PM
"Long hair is boring and short hair is sophisticated and sexy

What I find most fascinating about this particular piece of advice is that it changes with the seasons. This Summer, short texturized haircuts were fashionable and sexy. But since Autumn, long locks are trendy and sophisticated.
I understand that hairdressers and stylists need to eat, so the trends have to change. But still, it's really funny to see how things change like that. Maybe it's because I don't see hair as an accessory, like wooden beads and feathers or silver and gold, but as a part of my body, something that isn't suppose to change with the seasons like that. Does this make any sense?

Hollyfire3
January 30th, 2012, 07:08 PM
What I find most fascinating about this particular piece of advice is that it changes with the seasons. This Summer, short texturized haircuts were fashionable and sexy. But since Autumn, long locks are trendy and sophisticated.
I understand that hairdressers and stylists need to eat, so the trends have to change. But still, it's really funny to see how things change like that. Maybe it's because I don't see hair as an accessory, like wooden beads and feathers or silver and gold, but as a part of my body, something that isn't suppose to change with the seasons like that. Does this make any sense?

Makes very much sense to me, trends come and go, true natural beauty is timeless, and this includes beautiful hair, not trendy, ever changing hair. Piper on Charmed (just see my avatar) has some of the most beautiful hair ever, and she never really chnages it, except for layers of lets it grow longer, she is beautiful to me and my hair and everyday idol, all that beautiful long hair is hers and she wears less makeup and more conservative clothes than her costars, the other two girls on the show tend to change their hair all the time and never let it grow or take care of it right, i see the trends but i do not understand them.

Andraste
January 30th, 2012, 07:12 PM
Back when my hair was just past waist, several people told me to donate it. I'd say, "I don't see you taking the time and money to grow yours out for someone else. Maybe you should, instead of telling a stranger what they should do." Of course, no one ever had anything to say after that. The nerve of some people...

Moonlake
January 30th, 2012, 07:34 PM

Andraste
January 30th, 2012, 07:35 PM
Good point Andraste! I am going to say that next time someone insists I donate my hair. :hifive:

Works every time. ;)

Nedertane
January 30th, 2012, 07:54 PM
Heard someone at my theatre classes a few years back say that "hair length should depend on height." Great, that's really arbitrary Lol. I guess that means that since I'm shorter than average, I should resign myself to shorter than SL hair? :confused:

HintOfMint
January 30th, 2012, 08:42 PM
Well, the Dawn dish washing liquid does clarify and strip hair (It's what used to bathe animals that have been trapped in oil spills)
After you use it you must condition, and moisturize.

Aw, Dawn had the CUTEST commercial showing that! They were bathing otters and duckies and... pardon me, I'm squeeing all over the floor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbwjQVsBWLw

owlathena
January 30th, 2012, 09:11 PM
Aw, Dawn had the CUTEST commercial showing that! They were bathing otters and duckies and... pardon me, I'm squeeing all over the floor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbwjQVsBWLw

awwww the otter! so cute!

dmarie16
January 30th, 2012, 10:00 PM
Wash, rinse, repeat...Lol!!! Now I condition, rinse, repeat!!! I also had many hairdressers state that with my thick,wavy hair that I should have a razor cut. Ya, if you want to use a flat iron every day!!! SMH...

sfgirl
January 31st, 2012, 12:16 AM
Uh, in high school my friends told me I should straighten tease, and hairspray every day. So I did. LOL

Revontuletar
January 31st, 2012, 01:24 AM
Hmm, I would have to say the worst hair advice I have ever had came from one of those pushy salesmen with crappy little stalls in the middle of shopping centres. You know, the ones that won't let you get away from them if you even so much as look in their direction. He was selling curling irons, and told me I should curl my hair, and that if I bought one of his irons I could curl it every day without any damage to my hair (Look! The heat is so low you can swipe it across the palm of your hand without burning yourself! Yet it curls in seconds! Amazing!). I preceeded to argue with him saying that ALL curling irons cause damage, and that anything that can make your hair curl in a few seconds WILL damage it, and I am trying to grow my hair very long and I'm already dealing with permanent dye damage. I just argues with him until he said "Well, it's obviously not for you then!" and LET ME GO. They NEVER let you go, no matter what you say they keep jabbering on about special deals that are "only for today" yet if you come back the next day the "deal" is still there and still "only for the day!" The only way to get away from them is to just walk away, all politeness forgotten, or else they will pester you until you buy their junk, at GREAT expense. Yet that dude let me go. Definitely a first!

blondie9912
January 31st, 2012, 11:18 PM
Hmm, I would have to say the worst hair advice I have ever had came from one of those pushy salesmen with crappy little stalls in the middle of shopping centres. You know, the ones that won't let you get away from them if you even so much as look in their direction. He was selling curling irons, and told me I should curl my hair, and that if I bought one of his irons I could curl it every day without any damage to my hair (Look! The heat is so low you can swipe it across the palm of your hand without burning yourself! Yet it curls in seconds! Amazing!). I preceeded to argue with him saying that ALL curling irons cause damage, and that anything that can make your hair curl in a few seconds WILL damage it, and I am trying to grow my hair very long and I'm already dealing with permanent dye damage. I just argues with him until he said "Well, it's obviously not for you then!" and LET ME GO. They NEVER let you go, no matter what you say they keep jabbering on about special deals that are "only for today" yet if you come back the next day the "deal" is still there and still "only for the day!" The only way to get away from them is to just walk away, all politeness forgotten, or else they will pester you until you buy their junk, at GREAT expense. Yet that dude let me go. Definitely a first!

Haha, that's interesting! I think he knew you had the power of LHC working against his heat-damaging ways :p

Revontuletar
February 1st, 2012, 12:15 AM
Haha, that's interesting! I think he knew you had the power of LHC working against his heat-damaging ways :p
HAHAHA yeah! I don't know how it happened that he let me go. The last time I got trapped by one of these idiots I spent about twenty minutes trying to explain that I had four dollars in the bank account and could not afford to buy an $80 nail treatment set (or even for a one-off offer of $60! Or $40!!! HALF PRICE! - Note that I can buy the same nail set for $20 off ebay). They thought I was lying and it was my way of trying to haggle with them! Eventually I had to walk away. I am very shy and timid so I never really know what to do with these people except politely answer them. But I have learnt to just yell out "Not today thanks mate!" and keep walking.

cooklaezo13
February 13th, 2012, 08:55 PM
"great for styling and detangling!"
On the tag of my new boar bristle brush. One should never use a bbb for detangling. Only use it on already detangled hair.

lolot
February 13th, 2012, 09:22 PM
"put lemon in your hair and sit under the sun for an hour"
"cut your hair with a razor for legs, it will make layers look awesome"

melusine963
February 13th, 2012, 10:51 PM
My BF told me today that his hair-stylist friend ('who knows about these things') told him that hair needs to be washed at least every other day to stay healthy. This was after I told him I only wash it once a week. BF's currently suffering through the tail-end of the transition phase with me, so I was nice and didn't tell him what a load of rubbish that is.

Seeshami
February 13th, 2012, 11:08 PM
That I would be happier like this:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v190/BrokenCagedBird/2cab1fa3.jpg

Then like this:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v190/BrokenCagedBird/bc3d7563.jpg

Pixie is fine and cute and wonderful but not for me in my personal opinion.

Dars
February 13th, 2012, 11:33 PM
- Using x heat styler occasionally will not damage it too much. This one seems to frequent the LHC boards...

- You must cut your hair every 6 weeks for it to grow.

- A hairdresser and a razor in hand.

- Shampoo twice.

yummie
February 13th, 2012, 11:55 PM
-you should style/flat iron/ curl your hair more
-put volumizing mousse on your scalp
-lather rinse repeat

HylianGirl
February 14th, 2012, 07:17 AM
About four or five years ago I used to dye my hair blond (big mistake, my hair became really dry and looked like straw) I went to hair stylist who told me that the only way to make my hair look tidy was to chemichally straighten it. And so I did. x.x My hair became so weak it started to fall, and then I just promised myself I would never put chemicals in my hair ever again.

blondyhead
February 14th, 2012, 01:39 PM
''Dying your hair is good for it''

Really???!!

:blossom:Lady Evelyn Of Shrieking Metal, Enchantress Of Faerie, In The Order Of The Long Haired Knights:blossom

blondyhead
February 14th, 2012, 01:42 PM
''Dying your hair is good for it''

Really???!! lol

:blossom:Lady Evelyn Of Shrieking Metal, Enchantress Of Faerie, In The Order Of The Long Haired Knights:blossom:

Acid
February 14th, 2012, 07:04 PM
^ lol totally agree, whoever said that isnt thinking straight unless they mean vegetable dyes like manic panic

what people have been advised to do: (mainly people on youtube) whove had dyed blonde hair and said it was so damaged etc then dyed it brown or black or some other colour to "give it a break" and in the after part they said it feels so much better and looks healthier already

uhmmm yeah cus processing your hair AGAIN makes it healthier and gives it a break >.>

herdaughter77
February 14th, 2012, 07:49 PM
wow! (just read the whole thread)
I feel learned now. Thanks for the tips!
I always thought brushing while wet seemed to be murderous.....guess I was right. :)

HylianGirl
February 14th, 2012, 08:55 PM
My sister actually believes the "dying your hair is good". Her hairdresser told her that and my sister swears that her hair becomes softer and more moisturised afted dying.

I remember when she first started dying her hair (her hair is dark blond and she dyes it a honey blond, no too lighter than her natural color) I told her her hair would be dryer and she told me that just because my hair dried when i dyed it, doesn't mean the same will happen to hers, and now she has been having more split ends than ever.

pepperminttea
February 14th, 2012, 10:29 PM
On the "dyeing your hair is good" topic; it's probably the little bottles of conditioner you get with box dyes. Those things are amazing! The dye, not so much. ;)

vagabundo_verde
February 14th, 2012, 11:09 PM
lather rinse repeat is definitely on my list. very straining for my hair. :p

lolot
February 14th, 2012, 11:22 PM
when i used to dyed my hair i remember the first week hair looks and feels amazing, it shines more and is softer but 3 weeks later, it is dry and brittle i have always wonder why that happen

Dragon Faery
February 15th, 2012, 12:19 AM
"If you grow your hair too long it will look out of balance with your body."
(...In whose opinion?)
"People with long hair seem vain and self-absorbed."
(Not any more than anyone who spends hours on makeup or clothes...and again, in whose opinion?)

BEST advice? "Don't bleach." (From an aunt with hair like mine, who learned the hard way.)

Bedhead
February 15th, 2012, 12:49 PM
"Sure I can bleach your auburn hair platinum blond, no problem!"

$160, 3 treatments and about 4 hours later, I walked out with Barney Rubble hair from the Flinstones. It was horrible. Don't tell me you can get the red out of my natural hair unless you can. >.<

Oh! They didn't! I guess I was lucky in this regard. I was told it would be impossible for my my hair to be dyed with anything other than another red (what for? "so there'll be more red!" Right.) Or blond streaks, to which my stomach sank. So I never did get that white with purple tips with a black splash on top. Not having flexibility with being able to change my hair colour has always caused me to get upset, but then the lighting in my bathroom never really allows me to see how fabulous my hair colour really is. So, now that I've read this, I'll try and put that desire to dye my hair aside, and be happy I'll never be called 'Barney'.

So sorry for your luck!

JellyBene
February 15th, 2012, 09:18 PM
"you need to stop using all that natural crap on your hair. It's bad for it."

Hollyfire3
February 15th, 2012, 11:21 PM

Lol did you tell the person, and the crap you use is SO much better? the things people say....

StPaulaGirl
February 15th, 2012, 11:52 PM

Hilarious. :D

Sushi144
February 16th, 2012, 12:24 PM

Incredible ! :laugh: Sometimes I wonder what's happening in people's head.

PianoPlaye
February 16th, 2012, 02:15 PM
"If you don't trim it, it won't grow".

If I trim it, I may get a smarter thicker looking hemline, but I will sacrifice Length. And I like fairytale ends. :)

JellyBene
February 16th, 2012, 03:49 PM
That awful "advice" came from my 15 year old little sister who consequently has overprocessed/dry/split hair! And she wonders why I have "the good hair" in the family!

SC
March 4th, 2012, 03:58 AM
A friend who has very dry hair (very curly and heat damaged) said that her hair got so much better when she started using more cone products (conditioner and leave-in full of them). She says that her hair is now so smooth and silky and she told me to try those products too. I didn't want to ruin her experience by telling her why I don't use cones so much and every time when we come across the subject of hair products "Have you started using cones already, your hair totally needs it!". Oh yeah sure...

Kinkycurlygurl
March 4th, 2012, 08:00 AM
"You have to use something!" said my mother when I told her about my water/sebum hair regime.:rolleyes:

Mrsbaybeegurl
March 4th, 2012, 04:24 PM
I hate with the whole "fine hair should be kept short" I can not tell you how many times a salon has taken my "I just need a trim" to a full out "hey if we cut these 6 inches off your hair it will take off the weight and give you so much more body, your hair is too thin and can't handle the extra weight" I did it every time not realizing it only had body when I then turned my head upside down to blowfry it using mouse and a metal round brush then hairspray to hold it in place...grrr!

The other one I hate is henna will make your hair melt off! Back when I was in cosmetology (being fed all the lies of haircare) we had a teacher warned us to NEVER EVER EVER think of touching henna. She went on to tell a nighmare story of a previous student who was too rebelous and didn't listen and melted all of her hair off by trying to use henna and cried begging the teacher to warn all future students... SADLY that can happen if you buy adulterated, metallic salt "henna" but that in no way is real and true henna!! We were never told there were different kinds of course, all henna was taboo because it wasn't made by Wella or Matrix or what ever else and it isn't chemically formulated!

There are so many others, but I'll leave it with the lie of rinse lather and repeat...which was standard shampoo practices while in cosmetology. Even if we had a client with freshly washed hair, we had to wash twice (or more) until the hair literally make a squeak sound which would signal it was truly clean. We could potentially fail a pracile exam if we didn't! :rolleyes:

cwarren
March 4th, 2012, 06:38 PM
Worst Advice from a friend: Brand doesn't matter. You should just try to save money. So I did this and bought a 40ml bottle of Herbal Essences Conditioner from Costco for $8. AWESOME PRICE! The first time, I noticed that I was shedding a little more than usual. The same thing with the second time. By the third time, gobs of my hair was coming out :( My hair is now very thin on the ends. NEVER AGAIN!

I'll stick with my Enjoy Conditioner Thankyouverymuch.

Worst Advice from a hair dresser: Yeah, we need to train your hair so it isn't as thick anymore (I have 3c/4a hair). And, of course, I let her. You already know what happened... To her credit, she wasn't being evil. She actually thought that frying my hair until it was permanently straight was the best thing to do.

lostchyld
March 4th, 2012, 07:22 PM
This will sound weird on a board dedicated to long hair, however, the worst advice I ever got was "Don't get a pixie." Honestly, it was super easy for me to take care of because I have remarkably well behaved hair and almost no inclination to care how I look. And I thought it looked great. Everyone has since breathed a sigh of relief that my hair is longer again, but they haven't realized that I'm headed for the polar opposite of a pixie.

The point is this: It's my hair and it will grow. I can cut it however I want to and no one else gets a say.

I thought it looked fine. It took no styling, little washing, and no product. It did, however, require monthly visits to the stylist to maintain that length, which is why I started growing it again. Then I remembered that I really liked dutch braids and buns, so I kept growing.
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3208/2704205335_c633161d4f_m.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/merlynbeth/2704205335/)
CorsetTop (http://www.flickr.com/photos/merlynbeth/2704205335/) by Em Beth (http://www.flickr.com/people/merlynbeth/), on Flickr

Five of Five
March 5th, 2012, 06:48 PM
A non-LHC version of S & D: To get healthy, split-free hair, instead of cutting, one should hold sections of hair by the root and pull downwards to break off the splits.

Eryka
March 6th, 2012, 04:36 PM
"Never EVER put large amounts of oil in your hair all the time, it will TOTALY damage it"

This was from a stylist who moments ago shrieked in astonishment at my knee length VIRGIN hair.

dragaica
March 6th, 2012, 04:43 PM
"Never EVER put large amounts of oil in your hair all the time, it will TOTALY damage it"

This was from a stylist who moments ago shrieked in astonishment at my knee length VIRGIN hair.
heard that - so stupid.
But also I've said to my friend to use oils, and she had blame me for shedding the next day.
So people are not so open minded and open to experiments.

jackie_brown
March 6th, 2012, 04:45 PM
"Henna will damage your hair/will turn your hair color GREEN" both of these

or
"You have to keep the layers on your hair, they will enhance the curls and the volume"
Of course! Mushroom head+mutilated ends :mad:

jackie_brown
March 6th, 2012, 04:51 PM

I suppose that the mineral oil that he sold in her salon was a panacea for your hair.:D

Alvrodul
March 6th, 2012, 06:53 PM

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Well, if you use oil instead of those wildly expensive products that stylist probably wanted to sell you, something was being damaged, but it would not have been your hair.

I bought a couple of new oils the other day myself, and am waiting impatiently for them to arrive... :p

Quetiepi
March 6th, 2012, 07:30 PM
Worst advice I ever got was to cut off 12 inches so I could donate it to Locks of Love. This was the worst haircut I ever got in my adult life. I'm still not over it!

dragaica
March 7th, 2012, 11:37 AM
"Henna will damage your hair/will turn your hair color GREEN" both of these

or
"You have to keep the layers on your hair, they will enhance the curls and the volume"
Of course! Mushroom head+mutilated ends :mad:
The concept : you have curls- you need layer - was the primary cause of the nightmare chops I had.
Also the main solution, for a bad haircut- was "more layers ", from all the hairdressers I've met.
DO NOT DO IT.... unless you want it - for my curls was the death....

MissManda
March 7th, 2012, 12:07 PM
"You will look more professional and neat with your hair worn down instead of up in a sleek bun."

Clem_Dela
March 7th, 2012, 12:45 PM
Layer it, thin it, undercut, blow dry, straighten, trim it, brush it, style it, perm it, spray it, gel it... Ugh!

But worse than anything else is what you see written on the back of the average shampoo bottle: a quarter sized drop of 'poo in your hand (so much!), pile your hair and lather, rinse... And repeat. In what world do we shampoo twice and condition once? Not my world that's for sure.

Clem_Dela
March 7th, 2012, 12:47 PM
"You will look more professional and neat with your hair worn down instead of up in a sleek bun."

What the heck?! Buns are the very definition of sleek and professional!

Exodus
March 9th, 2012, 02:58 PM
Interesting thread. Myself I haven't actually gotten very much advice one way or another from anyone. I have many times had people tell me that I should dye my hair red or things like that, but hair care advice? Nah.. Maybe I have heard that about cutting hair to make it grow..

The actual worst advise was when a HD told me that since my hair is wavy I shouldn't use normal conditioner, only leave-in spray (containing alcohol denat). The idea was that normal conditioner would make my hair greasy (why wavy hair would become greasy easier was a mystery for me, knowing that my hair naturally dry) and weigh it down too much.

I have to say though, the advice about lather-rinse-repeat is maybe the best hair advice I have gotten. My hair stays clean for a longer time, I lose less hair, my scalp feels better and my hair tangles less. It just works perfect for me. It feels sooo much better if I lather two times than just one.

Also, I have to say that henna is the worst thing I have ever done to my hair. My hair hated it. Didn't matter that it was BAQ (Catherine's). It changed my hairs texture too much, totally killed my hair's movement and I have never had so split-prone and breakage-prone hair as with henna (my hair hair is gaining length much faster no when it's virgin). Not to mention the fact that I never achieved the colour that I wanted (thought the build-up was.. heavy) and the plastic-fantastic feeling my hair had.. Not even my hair after bleach was never nowhere close the effects of henna. With bleach my texture stayed, splits did not increase and it moved naturally. If I were to give advice to someone, I would definitely recommend chemical dye instead of henna.

Johanna
March 11th, 2012, 08:46 PM
'You just went through a breakup, chop it all off and dye it blonde!'

Thanks, but no thanks. I'm not going to change myself to the opposite of what I am just because an idiot of an individual couldn't recognise how awesome I am.

holothuroidea
March 11th, 2012, 08:59 PM
You need to buy *insert product here* :rolleyes:

Fipps
March 11th, 2012, 09:03 PM
"How about getting a perm while you're pregnant? It'll make your hair so easy to deal with!"

It only took on the ends.

LadyLongLocks
March 12th, 2012, 11:13 AM
To get a body wave for my bangs. My hair being very straight was more work than I wanted many years ago. I just had my bangs cut wrong actually...anyway, I had a body wave upon someone's suggestion.
:(BIG mistake! They curled the opposite way and then It was recommended I go back and have them redone which=fried hair.:mad:
Good thing it was just the bangs!