PDA

View Full Version : My hair is breaking!

Nymeria
December 3rd, 2011, 06:16 PM
I have very, very fine hair. I had my hair colored for the first time ever a few months ago. I'd thought my hair was still pretty healthy up until maybe a week and a half ago when I noticed that I had a lot of broken hairs sticking out all over my head. :(

I don't know if it's the cold weather coupled with the chemicals or what, but my hair has never looked this bad. It tangles easily, but I try to brush gently.

Do you guys have any suggestions to get my hair stronger and in better shape? I'm never coloring with chemicals again. I think next time I'm just going to henna and be done with it.

Georgies
December 3rd, 2011, 06:28 PM
I think you're going to get LOTS of suggestions. I assume the experienced people here (and I am not one) will want to know more about your hair care routine to give some advice.

A few years ago I had a massive problem with breakage and in retrospect I think the problem was mainly shampoo with sulphates, which now I use extremely sparingly, and also mineral build up from hard water. Cleansing with caution, coupled with occasionally chelating out the minerals, brought the strength back to my hair.

Your hair might need more moisture but there are so many hair specific moisturizers (oils vs butters vs cones etc), I'll leave that to the longer and wiser.

I'm sure lots of wisdom will follow - good luck!

Kiwiwi
December 3rd, 2011, 06:29 PM
Are you sure they are broken hairs and not new growth? :)

Madora
December 3rd, 2011, 06:35 PM
Do you detangle with a wide tooth comb before you brush?

Nymeria
December 3rd, 2011, 06:49 PM
I'm sure they're broken hairs. I can even hear my hair snapping as it breaks when I brush now and my ends look frizzy. My hair usually looks very sleek, and is stick, stick straight.

As for my routine, I don't use a wide tooth comb. I brush with a plastic paddle brush. My hair gets very oily if I go even a day without washing it, so I almost have to wash it every other day. I've tried to go longer, but it feels gross so I wind up washing it. I use Aussie shampoo. I don't know anything about what shampoos or conditioners are good for my hair type, so I tend to go with what smells good and claims that it can make my hair not flat.

Mairéad
December 3rd, 2011, 06:55 PM
You may want to to a diagnostic test. You do this by clarifying your hair, not conditioning, and letting it air dry. You're hair may feel pretty bad after this but usually allows you to see what's wrong. If it feels rough, wiry, and easily snaps; it needs moisture. If if feels gummy and doesn't go back after being gently stretched then you need protein. Either dryness or protein deficient hair can cause breakage. On the off chance your hair feels better, you had build up.

You could also learn better brushing techniques. Always detangle when hair is dry or loaded with conditioner. Use a wide tooth comb and start from the bottom up. When you catch a tangle, undo it with your fingers and not the comb. If you have heavy duty tangles many like a product called Tangle Teaser.

jlo8937
December 3rd, 2011, 07:14 PM
My hair seems to be the same as yours. I am trying to stop dying mine. So far I have gone 3 months without dying it.

jlo8937
December 3rd, 2011, 07:15 PM
I also have to wash mine every day. By the time I wake up in the morning it is so oily I can't even stand it.

Orangerthanred
December 3rd, 2011, 07:50 PM
If you use shampoo with sulfate in it, you need to stop because it will take the remaining moisture from your damaged hair. Start co-washing with a light weight conditioner or use sulfate-free shampoo.

I think you should use henna or cassia on your hair. They strengthen weak hair. Start doing protein and deep conditioning treatments once a week, buy a good leave in conditioner, and wear protective hairstyles.

I speak from expirience. I relaxed my hair twice, then dyed it.

jojo
December 4th, 2011, 11:05 AM
sounds like your doing your hair no favours by brushing it, does your paddle brush have bobbles on the end of the teeth? also if you can hear it snapping it sounds like your rushing when brushing your hair. Id suggest buying a wide toothed comb, the body shop does a good one and throw away your brush, its not helping your hair at all.

I noticed a huge change when switching to a comb, the only brush i use now is my BBB which is used for distributing sebum, brushes should never be used for detangling.