PDA

View Full Version : What are some good brands of shampoo and conditioner?

SopphireGem
December 3rd, 2011, 12:23 PM
What brands of shampoo and conditioner would you recommend?

Amber_Maiden
December 3rd, 2011, 12:33 PM
Live Clean, definitely.

jacqueline101
December 3rd, 2011, 12:38 PM
I'd say mane n tail

pepperminttea
December 3rd, 2011, 12:41 PM
What sort of thing are you looking for? :) 'Cone-free, SLS-free, protein-free, or sulphate and 'cone-y and protein-ed to the hilt?

jaine
December 3rd, 2011, 12:48 PM
That's like asking what kind of music sounds good :)

How about this: What are you currently using and what made you decide to look for something new? What issues are you running into with your current routine?

Annibelle
December 3rd, 2011, 12:58 PM
That's like asking what kind of music sounds good :)

How about this: What are you currently using and what made you decide to look for something new? What issues are you running into with your current routine?

Yep, agree with jaine. It's hard to sift through all of the information on the forum (cones, sulfates, etc.) but you'll probably get more meaningful responses if you have an idea of what you're looking for. :flower:

When I was on cones, I used Pantene, and it made my hair shiny and almost completely straight and lank. Right before going off of cones, I was using Herbal Essences Hello Hydration and it was doing really well for me, for something coney. Now, I don't use cones and I'm enjoying the Beautiful Curls line (can be purchased at Whole Foods). Unfortunately, they don't sell a wash-out conditioner, so I have to experiment with other brands to see what I like. Right now I'm using Everyday Shea conditioner, made by the same brand that makes Beautiful Curls, but it's really not doing much for me. It would be great for CO because it's not too thick, but I need something more moisturizing that's cruelty-free and cone-free... and hopefully affordable. :cool:

coffinhert
December 3rd, 2011, 01:13 PM
I like Nature's Gate, there are a lot of varieties to choose from and they don't have things that some people try to avoid.

jesis
December 3rd, 2011, 01:15 PM
I would recommend any of Redken's line, if you're a cone user of course. Especially extreme or Real Control. So great.

Annibelle
December 3rd, 2011, 01:18 PM
I like Nature's Gate, there are a lot of varieties to choose from and they don't have things that some people try to avoid.

Is Nature's Gate tested on animals? If it's not, I'd be interesting in trying it. :) Can you recommend a good moisturizing conditioner from that brand???

SopphireGem
December 3rd, 2011, 01:25 PM
Thanks for all your replies; those products all sound great! I know I can find Pantene and Herbal Essences in the UK, but are any of the others sold in the UK?

Snippety
December 3rd, 2011, 01:25 PM
I used to use Trevor Sorbie's products for long straight hair but changed a couple of years ago to Lush Karma Comba shampoo bar and American Cream conditioner. Noticed a lot less split ends and generally easier to manage since.

Sisko
December 3rd, 2011, 01:56 PM
A'kin. Timotei is also nice. :)

pepperminttea
December 3rd, 2011, 02:00 PM
Don't know how helpful this will be given I've no idea what your hair likes, but here goes nothing. :)

Shampoos: Pure Nuff Stuff hair cleanser; Psoriasis Care Blend (glucoside-based), Sainsbury's Apple shampoo (very simple & cheap, sulphate-based; clarifier).
Light conditioners for CO: Tesco Smooth conditioners (Coconut and Apple & Aloe Vera are the ones I use most)
Heavier conditioners ('cone-free): Superdrug Intensive Coconut and Sweet Almond conditioner (the one in a tub), Garnier Repair and Shine (the UK version of Triple Nutrition), Naked Smooth Silky conditioner for Straight or Longer Hair, Tresemme Naturals Smooth conditioner, Tresemme Naturals Moisture conditioner.
Heavier conditioners (amine-functionalised 'cones (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/curlchemist-amodimethicone-and-other-amine-functionalized-silicones)): L'Oreal Elvive Nourish & Shimmer Highlights conditioner, L'Oreal Elvive Damage Care conditioner, Aussie 3 Minute Miracle Frizz Remedy Deep Treatment

kittymallow
December 3rd, 2011, 02:03 PM
I love redken, tigi, and matrix biolage.. they have something for every type of hair:) the next on my wish list is matrix biolage delicate care.. :)

Audhumla
December 3rd, 2011, 03:41 PM
Natralia Nourish are great for me but I don't know if they're available outside Australia.
I also bought a new Avalon Organics conditioner, the ylang ylang one for shine, and it's working great so far. I haven't tried anything else from Avalon Organics yet so I can't say about their shampoo.
For shampoo I like the Alchemy Lavender or Mandarin shampoos or the Seven Wonders Moroccan oil treatment shampoo although their conditioner hasn't done anything special for me.
I try to stay cone free just so I can do treatments whenever I feel like it without having to clarify since I tend to be impatient, so all these products are cone-free.

shikara
December 3rd, 2011, 03:48 PM
I agree with jaine in that a shampoo and condish is only as good as it works for your own unique hair. I always have head and shoulders on hand, but i do like Live Clean lines, and Dove. I rely primarily on deep conditioning oil treatments for conditioning.

amantha
December 3rd, 2011, 04:40 PM
Live Clean, definitely.

I'm really interested in trying this line too but I can't find any vendors that sell it outside of Canada. Even though you're located in Canada, do you happen to know of any sites that would ship this brand to the U.S.? Amazon doesn't carry it. :(

Miss Catrina
December 3rd, 2011, 05:44 PM
Such a loaded question! :D

I've not yet used a shampoo I can really rave about. I liked using Burt's Bees (SLS-free), though I did not appreciate the citrus smell.

In terms of conditioner, I loved Aveeno (cones) and L'Oreal everstrong (cone free to my knowledge, please correct me if I'm wrong).

I'd of course be remiss (and an awful student) to not mention that Aveda has a line for everything. I have limited experience, but I do know that the Dry Remedy line makes mannequin hair DELIGHTFUL, and that is a big accomplishment.

jojo
December 4th, 2011, 11:07 AM
I love Inecto range from the body care shop cheap and conefree, plus easy on the purse! also love tigi moisture maniac cheaper off ebay! I also use mane N tail when my hair needs protein!

SwordWomanRiona
December 4th, 2011, 11:24 AM
I love Klorane shampoos.
I use the nettle-based one for oily hair (I have gready roots plus I love the smell :)) and the sweet-almond-based one, which is intended for fine hair. I like both and switch between one and the other.
I also use dry shampoos from Klorane, and they work really well for me too.

BlazingHeart
December 4th, 2011, 12:16 PM
I don't do well with SLS (lots of flakes and itchies!) so I use Chagrin Valley shampoo bars, and I LOVE them.

As far as conditioner, right now I'm using vo5 and it's pretty good - I'm using Kiwi Lime Squeeze and I like it.

coffinhert
December 4th, 2011, 01:09 PM
Is Nature's Gate tested on animals? If it's not, I'd be interesting in trying it. :) Can you recommend a good moisturizing conditioner from that brand???

It is NOT tested on animals.

There is one that says specifically "for dry hair" or "for moisture" on the front. Like I said there's lots of varieties so you will see one for extra moisture.