PDA

View Full Version : Hair texture and Age

tanpopokitty
December 3rd, 2011, 11:39 AM
Do you guys find that as you grow older your hair texture changes? Or am I just crazy?

My hair used to be almost perfectly straight, but as I get older I find that I have more and more wave in my hair! Am I just imagining this? I know hair color can change, but can hair texture also change?

jesis
December 3rd, 2011, 11:39 AM
Definitely! My hair was almost straight as a kid and now it's wurly. I've heard somewhere that your hair changes texture every 7-10 years and also with bodily changes, like pregnancy.

Arctic
December 3rd, 2011, 11:49 AM
Not only age, but also many medical issues and nutritional imbalances can change hair's texture.

My hair has gotten wavier and coarser and wirier in the recent several years, I used to be thin*, fine, straigth haired, now almost complete opposite. I'm not sure what has cause mine, maybe it's just age.

*= I still have same number of hair follicles, but with coarser hair and my wave pattern, my hair looks much thicker.

Amber_Maiden
December 3rd, 2011, 12:02 PM
My hair is definitely more wavy then before! Also it breaks much more easily...

EdG
December 3rd, 2011, 12:04 PM
Yes, my hair is wavier now than it was 10 or 20 years ago. It is also weaker so that it breaks more easily.
Ed

jacqueline101
December 3rd, 2011, 12:06 PM
I've noticed a change in mine too its thicker for some reason.

shikara
December 3rd, 2011, 12:18 PM
Oh yes, I have some sections of hair, mostly nape area so far, that are sort of resembling hair from another part of my body:o only much longer :eyebrows:. These make my hair hang funny...

Madora
December 3rd, 2011, 12:22 PM
Overall, no. However, some of my sparklies are coarser than the texture of my brown hair. My sparklies intrigue me because some are exceedingly thin, while others are much thicker. Some are even a tad crinkly too.

gazelle
December 3rd, 2011, 01:03 PM
My greys have different texture: weirdly coarse and curlier than rest. Since they increase in future, I can say the hair texture changes due to age

Fortresca
December 3rd, 2011, 02:35 PM
Thanks for this topic and the answers!

I just saw the very same thing happening to my hair the past monthes. Funnily enough it started right when I changed my hair care, but other things happened the same time, so maybe it's too the hormonal change...

Quirky
December 3rd, 2011, 02:55 PM
Mine has definitely changed. The grays grow in wavy and it is much thinner than when I was young.:confused:

supbanana
December 3rd, 2011, 04:00 PM
I'm 23, but my hair is definitely developing more pronounced waves as time goes on. When I was a kid I had platinum blond, stick straight hair (my 'Village of the Damned hair' :wink:) and now it's somewhat wavy and more of a golden blonde. It's frustrating because the ends of my hair are 'mid-wave' and are flipped out away from my body.

andreamuse
December 3rd, 2011, 05:08 PM
Mine has changed. I used to have bone straight hair as a child/adolescent. Now my hair is wavy, although interestingly enough it is less wavy when it is short and more wavy as it gets longer...

Miss Catrina
December 3rd, 2011, 06:14 PM
I've heard that hair texture changes 7 times in a lifetime; don't know if it's true, but I wouldn't be surprised. I had curls as a kid, then it was totally straight - now it has the tiniest bit of wave (or it would, if it were long enough to).

Orangerthanred
December 3rd, 2011, 06:36 PM
Two words:

Puberty curls.

KwaveT
December 3rd, 2011, 08:26 PM
My hair has never really been allowed to grow long enough to see the natural pattern of my hair until now. My hair has always been coarse. Because my hair has always been kept short my hair has always been straight. As it is growing long now it is getting much wavier. I suspect my hair has always done this since my hair starts flipping when I approach the time that I would get a haircut. I have never had curly hair just straight or wavy hair depending on length.

MonaMayfair
December 4th, 2011, 04:12 AM
Mine went much wavier as a result of developing hypothyroid (underactive thyroid)
It went straighter again when my medication kicked in, but is still wavier than it was.
Maybe because my thyroid levels still keep fluctuating.

I like it being wavier, but dislike the idea it's due to an illness!

BlazingHeart
December 4th, 2011, 11:51 AM
Mine has definitely changed over time. I had slightly wavy hair when I was 2, pin-drop straight hair from around age 7 to age 11. During puberty my hair got wavier, but because I've been a brusher not a comber, I don't know just how wavy it got. I didn't realize how wavy my hair was until I followed the directions for a hair typing. I think my hair has been about this wavy since I was 12-13, but I'm not certain.

~Blaze

spidermom
December 4th, 2011, 12:20 PM
Yup; mine got wavier/curlier.
My white hairs are so coarse and bumpy-feeling.
The silver ones are the same texture as the rest of my hair.

jojo
December 4th, 2011, 12:53 PM
My hairs always been wavy and I haven't noticed any texture changes with age but as I get longer the more wavier it seems to get. This could be due to changing my routines though as in letting it do its thing as it dries and not messing with it as much!

Alienor
December 4th, 2011, 01:09 PM
With age, some of my hair on the top of my head became rough and dry. I don't know why:confused:.

jojo
December 4th, 2011, 05:08 PM
^^ might be new growth, mines always comes in like this and gets softer the longer it gets!

ludwig20
December 4th, 2011, 10:01 PM
Up until I was about seven or so, my hair was curly. Now it's just wavy.
This also happened to my mom and her sisters. Genetics, sigh.

balticbabe
December 5th, 2011, 02:20 AM
My hair was wavy through my teens. In my 20s till mid 30s it was straight and bit darker. Now in my 40s it's lightening up and wavy again. My sister's hair kept getting thicker and darker but has always been wavy. My little brother who is 35 has had the same dark curly hair since he was born. My mom has had the exact same hair since she was a teen. I think hair texture changes but how it goes just depends.