PDA

View Full Version : What are some good alternatives to Sodium Laureth Sulfate?

SopphireGem
December 3rd, 2011, 10:14 AM
I've heard that Sodium Laureth Sulfate isn't that good for your hair, so I was wondering if there are any better alternative ingredients to look out for when I'm buying shampoo? What other ingredients should I avoid?

cocoahair
December 3rd, 2011, 10:29 AM
I just buy sulfate free and it works perfectly for me. I do not remember who said this but I heard that sodium myreth sulfate is better than SLS.Good Luck!

Amber_Maiden
December 3rd, 2011, 10:46 AM
I look for:
Sulfates
Sodium Lauryl Sulfate and Sodium Lauryl Ether Sulfate. T
DEA = Diethanolamine
Phthalate/Phosphate
Parabens

In products, and won't buy the product if it has them in it.

FluffSpider
December 3rd, 2011, 10:57 AM
Certain baby shampoos are laden with SLS nowadays, but those which aren't usually use cocamidopropyl betaine as a surfactant. ALA is bad because not only is it rather harsh, but it's an irritant. For instance ALS(ammonium lauryl sulphate) has a better reputation, despite the fact that it's WAY harsher than its sodium counterpart- because the molecule is larger, and is said to be less irritating. Also some claim that because it has a small molecule, it can penetrate the hair root and change some DNA sequences-this hasn't been proved scientifically, as far as I know, so no reason to freak out just yet but...it's an idea.

So, base line: you can look for 'better' stuff when it comes to the irritant concern(in which the ammonium compounds are OK) or you can look for more gentle stuff, in which case cocamidopropyl betaine, or other milder surfactants can be used. You could also do a COW mix, which should lighten the effect. I used to COW with HE long term relationship mixed with water and cheapo condish 1:1:1-perfect moisture vs cleanliness balance.

starlamelissa
December 3rd, 2011, 03:17 PM
If sls isn't bothering you, I wouldn't go on a goose chase trying new stuff. Maybe just dilute it a bit ala spider mom.

shikara
December 3rd, 2011, 05:54 PM
If you are interested in trying shampoo bars (good threads about this on LHC) you could try that, but I also like starlamelissa's post. Im not saying sls is the cat's meow, but we basically have a very small amount on our heads for a very short period of time, and rinse very well. Diluted makesit even less so! Going to a health food store is also a good idea. I've gotten some kick-a-- shampoos/condish from these places and often the people there wikk be well versed in them. Jisr make sure to take yiur list along (Ill be copying amber maiden's) of what you dont want, and a magnifying glass :rolleyes: in case you need it to ad the ingredients!!