PDA

View Full Version : For those of you who...

beccababesx
December 3rd, 2011, 08:12 AM
Are trying to achieve/maintain a slim figure, do you ever try and subtract the weight of your hair from your weight? :p
I always think grrr I'd be a good 3 pounds lighter without all this damn hair! LOL :D

jesis
December 3rd, 2011, 08:13 AM
I think about it sometimes but I've ultimately accepted that it's part of me. :)

Amber_Maiden
December 3rd, 2011, 08:17 AM
I used to think about it, when I had an eating disorder years ago, but now I don't really think about my weight- I just eat healthy. I love my hair, and wouldn't loose it just to see the numbers on a scale go down!

PinkyCat
December 3rd, 2011, 08:31 AM
That seems a bit obsessive to me.
Don't make me worry about you, pretty lady.... :(

coffinhert
December 3rd, 2011, 08:46 AM
I do NOT weigh myself. I was bulemic and anorexic when I was in highschool/college and that is just a downward spiral. No matter what I did, my weight never really changed anyway. I'd rather build up muscles than be super skinny anyway. Your beauty isn't a number, it's how happy and confident you are being yourself. Exercise and healthy eating should be part of a joyous lifestyle, not a chore. I look in the mirror at myself now and I know I'm pretty. Guys don't want a super skinny girl, remember Marilyn Monroe? One thing that helps set a foundation of healthy body image is looking at pretty girls from when photography was newly invented. (moderation: broken link: NSFW "retrogasm tumblr") Just my two cents... It makes me sad to think someone would count weight enough to subtract hair weight. I used to count my calories using a spreadsheet and exercise obsessively and it didn't make me one bit happier.

LovingLife
December 3rd, 2011, 08:48 AM
Its equally sad and embarassing to hear about you two having eating disorders.
Good to know that you're healthy now :)

coffinhert
December 3rd, 2011, 08:49 AM
I'm not embarrassed.

Isilme
December 3rd, 2011, 08:52 AM
No way! Our hair doesn't actually weight a lot, unless it is extremely long and thick, and not even then.

Kristin
December 3rd, 2011, 09:07 AM
Unless your hair goes to the floor, it probably weighs much less than a pound. Don't obsess- enjoy your hair and be healthy!

And coffinhert, those pictures are great! Thanks!

spidermom
December 3rd, 2011, 09:10 AM
3 pounds lighter? Not likely - haha.
I recently weighed my hair on the kitchen scale just out of curiosity, and it weighed 5 ounces.

trolleypup
December 3rd, 2011, 11:15 AM
Mmm...remembering an old thread, most people were in the range of a few ounces, a few exceptional people were over 8 ounces.

Seeshami
December 3rd, 2011, 11:24 AM
if you want to know your weight sans hair just have some one hold it up for you when you're on the scale.

beccababesx
December 3rd, 2011, 11:26 AM
Ooh don't worry I'm not obsessive at all, just a silly thought!
Only a few ounces? Boooo haha, I'll keep pretending :p

tanpopokitty
December 3rd, 2011, 11:54 AM
I just thought I should note that comments about boys not liking skinny girls are just as hurtful as boys not liking thicker girls. Fighting hate with hate is not the best way to go about it.

To the original point though, I don't have long enough hair to really worry about it. I always take my shoes off though. :p

princessp
December 3rd, 2011, 11:59 AM
Ooh don't worry I'm not obsessive at all, just a silly thought!
Only a few ounces? Boooo haha, I'll keep pretending :p

Lol, I hear you on this! :D Unfortunately, the 3 extra lbs are likely due to actual body weight not hair. I remember the thread about hair weight it was literally ounces. But I'm with you on pretending it is my hair too, so let's just say it's the hair to non long hairs (so we can still enjoy our cheese and wine). :p :hooched:

supbanana
December 3rd, 2011, 04:16 PM
Ha, I've wondered about it briefly, but the few ounces lost could easily be gained in water weight alone. Plus, at my large size, my hair would have to weight in excess of ten pounds to make any amount of difference.

Calaelen
December 3rd, 2011, 04:47 PM
OMG!! That made me laugh so hard, I'll have to start doing that, thing is I weighed my braid one day about a year ago and it only weighed 67 grams...so I might have like 80 grams now...I wish I could blame 3 lbs on my hair!!

natnatsmama
December 3rd, 2011, 04:55 PM
Well I try not to weight myself when my hair is wet!

WaterMusic
December 3rd, 2011, 06:55 PM
You know what I don't understand? If you got rid of your hair, you would weigh less. Let's pretend for arguments sake that you actually would be 3 pounds lighter. Your body would still look exactly the same.

Does the number on the scale really matter more than what you look like?

KwaveT
December 3rd, 2011, 08:16 PM
Now that is just crazy thinking your hair will change your weight. If you really want to see your body at its lowest weight for the day then do it after you get out of bed and before you eat breakfast. Empty your bladder and take all your clothes off. Now weight yourself. You are not going to have a lower weight than that for the rest of the day. This is how I weigh myself. It gives more accurate weights since you don't have to concern yourself with what you eat and drink altering your body weight.

LovingLife
December 4th, 2011, 08:14 AM
I'm not embarrassed.

Sorry not embarassing! I meant empowering as you guys are now healthy.
So sorry!

jojo
December 4th, 2011, 09:36 AM
sounds a tad obsessional to me. I don't weigh myself, I go off my clothes. I will never be skinny and nor do I want to be. By your siggi photo you like quite slim anyway.

beccababesx
December 4th, 2011, 09:54 AM
Eek I didn't mean to concern people!
I'm not trying to lose weight, I just try and maintain with healthy eating and exercise etc, I in no way promote any kind of eating disorder, and I don't overly worry myself.
Just me thinking silliness as always, don't worry :)

Sunsailing
December 4th, 2011, 11:08 AM
3 pounds lighter? Not likely - haha.
I recently weighed my hair on the kitchen scale just out of curiosity, and it weighed 5 ounces.

And 5 oz. cannot even be detected by a bathroom scales.

How about exhaling prior to getting on the scales? ;)

spidermom
December 4th, 2011, 11:28 AM
And 5 oz. cannot even be detected by a bathroom scales.

How about exhaling prior to getting on the scales? ;)

haha; I don't think the weight of air could be detected on any scale.

BlazingHeart
December 4th, 2011, 12:02 PM
In my teens, I had thicker hair than I have now, which is a 5.5" ponytail circumference. I cut from hip to pixie, with most of that being in a ponytail to donate. The ponytail (which would've left me just above chin) weighed a grand total of 7 1/2 oz. The rest of the hair that got cut probably weighed another 1/2 oz. So someone with super-duper thick hair can lose 1/2 lb if they cut it ALL off.

Yeah, not making enough difference on the scale to worry about. Now CLOTHING is another matter. One of my doctors was making a comment last fall about me gaining 5 lbs. The previous time I'd seen him, I was wearing a tanktop and an above-knee super thin cotton skirt, that time I was wearing jeans and a sweater. Hmm wonder where all that extra weight came from... lol. For people paid to be observant, they can sure miss a lot!

~Blaze