PDA

View Full Version : Hospital hair

cobden 28
December 3rd, 2011, 04:03 AM
I've just come out of hospital, after having spent 4 nights in there with a mini-stroke (TIA). I'm currently wearing my waist-length hair loose but with an Alice band, and while i was in hospital I have to admit that several people, both patients and staff, complimented me on the length and condition of my hair.

But I was subject to persuasion to have it cut, when the hospital hairdresser came round on Wednesdays as she usually does, asking if anyone wanted their hair done and pointedly looking in my direction as I had my hair loose over my shoulders at the time. I vigorously shook my head, as I don't like strange hairdressers doing things to my hair....pause, while the hospital lady looked at me again, before she gave me up as a lost cause and walked on to the next ward!

I'd washed my hair only the day before I was taken into hospital so it still looked good when the hospital hairdresser came round; it's now time for a bath and hairwash again so I'm logging off in a few minutes.

Has anyone else on this forum been subject to persuasion to have their long hair cut when they've been ill/in hospital, and how did you react to the suggestions put to you?

NO WAY do I want my hair cut un-necessarily short - it's my lifetime ambition to be able to sit on the ends - and despite being my present age I'm determined to get there!

moon2dove
December 3rd, 2011, 11:25 AM
First and foremost. I wish you well and a speedy recovery.

I haven't been persuaded to get a haircut myself, but.....

I nearly shouted out at my computer when I read you were nearly persuaded to have your beautiful WL hair cut! Then when I thought you were going to say 'yes' to the hospital hairdresser, I nearly screamed at my computer! I am so relieved you have stuck to your guns and said NO!

Take care cobden 28 :)

dragonette@1
December 3rd, 2011, 11:32 AM
I am sorry to hear about your TIA and hope you heal quickly.

I am so glad that you were not persuaded to have a haircut in the hospital! I don't care how old you are, no one has the right to pressure you to chop your locks!

Enjoy your long hair, take care of yourself, and welcome to TLHC!

Seeshami
December 3rd, 2011, 11:35 AM
Well wishes as well, I hope you are okay.

people tell me to cut my hair all the time. It's because they know I use to grow it chop it donate it. My bald co-worker also has hair envy and truly despises the naught mess. So it mocks him by shedding and getting hair on him. I told him if he so much as touched one of my hairs with a pair of scissors I would press assault charges. No one has picked up scissors in front of me and looked at my hair accusingly since.

jacqueline101
December 3rd, 2011, 12:50 PM
I wish you a speedy recovery and I don't blame you on the hair cut. I wouldn't want someone I didn't know cutting my hair.

Pacific
December 3rd, 2011, 01:18 PM
Has anyone else on this forum been subject to persuasion to have their long hair cut when they've been ill/in hospital, and how did you react to the suggestions put to you?

That happened to one of my sons a few years ago. His hair was nearly hip length and he was always wearing it in a braid. He had to stay in hospital for a longer time and the nurse suggested to cut it. I told her, that my son's hair isn't her problem and that I take care for it.

kittymallow
December 3rd, 2011, 02:00 PM
Oh my godness i hope you are okay and take good care of yourself and get all the rest you can:) and i cant understand why a hospital hairdresser was so after cutting your hair. It is almost as bad as if you was at a hospital and a plastic surgeon asks if you want a nosejob since you already is there.. :/

supbanana
December 3rd, 2011, 03:44 PM
First off, I'm so glad you're out of the hospital and I hope nothing like this happens to you again!

As for hospital hair: my mom and I worked for a hospice organization for a while, which means we would care for terminally ill patients. One of the patients had beautiful, wavy, WL auburn hair. She slipped into a coma and her hair formed a tight mat over a couple of days (she was in a nursing home that didn't care too much, I know because I worked there after the fact). She didn't seem to be coming out of the coma, so mom and another nurse cut her hair back to her jaw rather than combing it out. Of course, the lady woke up, made a full recovery, and was just sick and mad about her hair, just like any of us would have been. I wish she were my patient so it could have been avoided, but to mom and the other nurse and, I imagine, most people in our culture, hair is just hair. :/

Miss Catrina
December 3rd, 2011, 05:48 PM
That is terrible. You were certainly going through more than enough as it was without someone indirectly insulting you that way (and it may not be fair, but I could NOT trust a hospital hairdresser).

I'm so glad you're alright. Please take care of yourself.

Orangerthanred
December 3rd, 2011, 06:09 PM
Last time I was in the hospital I was a dehydrated six year old. So I don't really remember.

HairStickler
December 3rd, 2011, 07:48 PM
I'm glad you are back home again and I hope you don't have any more TIA's.

It is good that you said no to the hairdresser, but I am thinking that that is actually a pretty nice service to offer to patients! I'm sure a lot of people in the hospital would love a chance to get their hair washed and styled after lying around in bed for who knows how long.