PDA

View Full Version : herbs to counter stress related hair lossy interesting article about stress

Kapri
December 3rd, 2011, 03:32 AM
http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?llr=6ahsvbcab&v=001WeBrwlP3VB1rDg5LqKmCEAvJEUJZGOYNVvTxTwf90X9AC lO7qmgSPQhwgbzOVvXX_AVeFYj0oQBR2Y3nfL4uu7xcpzzDv_l 3I2kRbLqYmFj_RIALq807kg_90MkbukCKg80xGEXvMSV0ENpD-ckXctwgyaso3bXD

This is an interesting article not just for men because it is about countering the effects of cortisol on hair loss using adaptagenic herbs like rhodiola.

Panth
December 3rd, 2011, 04:17 AM
*shrug*

A practically ancient paper abstract says cortisol (among other things) is higher in men with male pattern baldness than men without it (note, the sample size is pretty tiny). Another undated abstract of unknown origin indicates that curcumin may alleviate some symptoms in rats who are kept in a way to model chronic unpredictable stress-induced depression (note, it doesn't say that curcumin altered cortisol levels).

These two pieces of information do not show that lowering cortisol could stop or prevent or reverse male pattern baldness. They also do not show that curcumin, never mind the other herbs mentioned, lower cortisol levels. Based on those points, it's a complete leap of faith (not evidence) to assert that curcumin and other herbs (rhodiola, etc.) could stop/prevent/reverse male pattern baldness. It's yet another leap of faith to assert that they might affect hair loss that is not related to male pattern baldness.

Basically, it's a marketing ploy disguised by a very poor attempt at scientific reasoning.

If you want to stop stress-induced hair loss, the best idea is to reduce your stress levels. Not only will that stop the hair loss, but it will have many other benefits for your overall health.

Kapri
December 3rd, 2011, 05:03 AM
Panth,

So you're not impressed..how interesting! Well I won't rush out and buy all the herbs then.

Thank you for this feedback. Do you work in this field..I notice that you are very sharp and well informed.

Kapri

pixistixx
December 3rd, 2011, 05:07 AM
my doctor prescribed me magnolia bark extract with rhodiola in a supplement for my chronically high cortisol levels (autoimmune stress) it definitely did lower my cortisol levels as shown in blood work. I stopped taking it for a while and my cortisol went back up on my next blood test. If it can reduce the physical effects of stress on the body, then it may help prevent stress related hair loss, but not quite sure about the male pattern baldness. in theory, if it helps your adrenal glands work better, it should help balance other hormones, but this is not always the case (also can be seen in my blood work lol)

to be fair, I am not a man, but my hair loss is partially related to elevated DHT levels.

Kapri
December 3rd, 2011, 05:41 AM
Pixistixx,

Hi and thank you for this info.

I've had issues with female pattern hair loss and a sensitivity to testosterone rather than elevated testosterone levels therefore to DHT + my hair started to thin and fall out in my mid to late twenties after a stressful time in my life which resulted in CFS..so I am interested in how to prevent elevated cortisol levels (I had them too in a recent blood test). That said, the thing is to avoid a neat argument and to jump on every band wagon isn't it?

Have a great day, Kapri

ilovelonghair
December 3rd, 2011, 09:34 AM
Maybe the balding causes stress LOL! Well it would for me if I were a man, also being a woman it would stress me out if it happened.

Panth
December 4th, 2011, 03:12 AM
Panth,

So you're not impressed..how interesting! Well I won't rush out and buy all the herbs then.

Thank you for this feedback. Do you work in this field..I notice that you are very sharp and well informed.

Kapri

I don't work in the field, but I am doing a science PhD currently. However, you only have to know how to reason scientifically to see that their reasoning is deeply flawed.

I'm not saying curcumin, rhodiola and whatever else can't help stress-related hair loss. What I am saying is that the two abstracts they quote do not actually provide any supporting evidence for that statement. So, if you want to believe that statement then be aware that you are believing it purely through trust, not through evidence.

...also, I personally would be very wary of someone who's selling things and is obviously using those scientific abstracts in a way that is designed to make people without a science education to go 'oh, well, there's science behind it, so it must work'. Frankly, I find that misleading and coercive.