PDA

View Full Version : Is the younger generation more into long hair or is it just this one school?

Creatureling
December 2nd, 2011, 03:52 PM
I went to pick up my younger sisters from high school, and WOW! There was long hair everywhere! Granted, most of it was between BSL and waist but that's still way longer than what I see most adults wearing! About 80% of the girls had hair past APL. Has anyone else noticed a trend towards long hair or is it just here?

Amber_Maiden
December 2nd, 2011, 03:56 PM
Not here. When I was in high school some girls had hair to about mid-back- that was the longest. It was very rare, and after high school they had it cut.

Freckled.Thing
December 2nd, 2011, 04:45 PM
BSL was very popular at my high school. There was a good handful of girls with WL, but it wasn't common. APL was enitrely common place. Anything above SL was pretty rare.

This was as recent as last year.

coffinhert
December 2nd, 2011, 04:48 PM
I see college students with virgin waist length hair all the time at UNC.

mneh
December 2nd, 2011, 04:51 PM
I went to pick up my younger sisters from high school, and WOW! There was long hair everywhere! Granted, most of it was between BSL and waist but that's still way longer than what I see most adults wearing! About 80% of the girls had hair past APL. Has anyone else noticed a trend towards long hair or is it just here?

Recently, I've noticed that lots of teenage girls at the local secondary schools near our village, & its environs, have long hair that's between BSL and WL. They like to wear it loose regardless of the weather which is a brave decision given Irish weather :) I've also seen a number of boys with longish curly hair. Irish schools usually insist on uniforms, so hair is really the only fashion statement teenagers can make at secondary school. I haven't noticed the trend for longer hair in many female Uni students, they tend to have shoulder length, heavily layered & straightened hair.

Falcore
December 2nd, 2011, 04:53 PM
The longest I have seen around here when school is out is mid back. More commonly it is BSL or APL.

Annibelle
December 2nd, 2011, 05:32 PM
A few years ago, when I was in high school, most girls had APL to MBL. One girl had mid-thigh... :crush: She always got a loooot of compliments on it, by guys and girls. I had the second-longest that I'd seen in high school, and that was when I was between waist and hip in 9th grade. Those lengths weren't so unusual that they got a lot of attention, but weren't average, either.

Now that I'm in college, a lot of girls have their hair around BSL. Most looks really healthy, too, even though it's obviously straightened...

RedBlue
December 2nd, 2011, 05:37 PM
When I was in high school (07-11), the popular style for girls was BSL-WL straight hair with a side bang.

candycandace
December 2nd, 2011, 05:50 PM
When I was in high school (07-11), the popular style for girls was BSL-WL straight hair with a side bang.
This was totally the big trend when I was in school too. Usually blondes suited this style more than anyone else. If it wasn't long and blonde, then it it was short and black. Those were the two bigs trends where I went to high school.

isabelx
December 2nd, 2011, 05:51 PM

I agree with this, I was in high school exactly the same time! pretty much always poker straight, and most blonde or with blonde highlights.

Nearing the end of my high school era girls started being more outrageous and cut to pixies and red hair dye was extremely popular (due to influence from Rihanna I believe :rolleyes:)

sarahbrownie
December 2nd, 2011, 06:20 PM
Long hair is pretty popular in my generation, or particularly at my college. I think we got tired of the bowl-cut our parents made us get all the time, jk. I don't know, most of my friends are hipsters and boys and girls usually rock long hair. There is only a handful of girls I know that have shorter than APL, everyone else has at least WL. I get so jealous sometimes, but I'm hoping I'll get there at least by graduation.

Diamond.Eyes
December 2nd, 2011, 06:25 PM
I didn't really care to notice what other people did to their hair until my Junior year. During that time there were a lot of people lying about being natural redheads. I guess when I noticed this happening, I developed kind of a knack for weeding out the imposters :twisted:. Anywho, I noticed a lot of girls had APL-BSL hair and were dying it either blonde or red. I also noticed that Taylor Swift curls were rather popular, even more so than stick straight hair. The whole "scene hair" thing was quite popular as well.

candycandace
December 2nd, 2011, 06:33 PM
. During that time there were a lot of people lying about being natural redheads.
The same thing happened when I was in HS too! I'm not sure why it was the 'cool thing' to do but it sure was annoying as heck :rolleyes:. It was so ridiculous because I knew a lot of these girls when we were kids and their hair was not red. It really bothers me when people try to deceive me about their natural hair color.

mel88lem
December 2nd, 2011, 07:33 PM
I'm not in school anymore (so I can't say exactly what is trending in the schools here) and most of my cronies are other stay at home moms (trend has always been that the hair gets shorter when you have kids), but when I go out for groceries or other errands, I never see long hair. My hair is almost to waist, and the number of people I've seen with hair longer than mine in the last year or two is one. Pretty pathetic. But I also don't get out much! ;)

Zesty
December 2nd, 2011, 07:35 PM
BSL seemed to be the popular length at my high school. Straightened, for the most part. There wasn't much longer than that.

Herb
December 2nd, 2011, 07:53 PM
Well, when I see longish hair, it's usually BSL and fried.

Rebeccalaurenxx
December 2nd, 2011, 07:56 PM
A lot of those girls, js, are not naturally that long. Most wear extensions. I should know, I just graduated this year and I am one of those girls that wore extensions.

Rybe
December 2nd, 2011, 08:09 PM
Both colleges I've been around recently I've seen lots of girls with long hair. But one is notorious for the quantity of hippies and the other is an engineering/agricultural college and I know a lot of nerdy girls with long hair... But none the less, I think long hair tends to come in pockets sometimes.

schiele
December 2nd, 2011, 08:12 PM
I think long hair (generally BSL - TBL) is rather fashionable right now. American Apparel is a good example - it's a clothing line that has been hugely trendy/popular since 2004-05 or so. If you look at recent advertisements for American Apparel, their models quite frequently have relatively long, natural-looking hair. Mostly just around WL or so, but still pretty cool!

You can see on their online store: http://store.americanapparel.net/
And in their advertising: http://aa-advertising.tumblr.com/

I've also noticed long hair styles with center parts being popular among those you might call hipsters. They tend to either have very long natural hair or short very styled hair (extremely popular styles right now are the pompadour, the hi top fade, the undercut, bleached white or dyed pastel - anything you might see on MTV in the 1980s ahaha) I suppose those are definitely "unique" hairstyles compared to a more typical SL/APL length side bang looks. *shrug*

SilentGuardian
December 2nd, 2011, 08:17 PM
A few girls had up to BSL, but they all cut it in junior or senior year. There was a girl a grade ahead of me though that has CL. But that's it. SL was where it was at, and pixie cuts were popular my last year.

ladonna
December 2nd, 2011, 08:21 PM
It pretty common where I live to see BSL or longer hair no matter what age.

jesis
December 2nd, 2011, 08:23 PM
I think it's becoming more of a fad now than it was when I was growing up.

Quixii
December 2nd, 2011, 08:25 PM
Most of the girls at my school have BSL-ish hair. :shrug:

PixxieStix
December 2nd, 2011, 09:30 PM
Well, when I see longish hair, it's usually BSL and fried.

Same here. Most of the girls in my cohort sport APL - BSL hair, dyed/bleached, ironed and fried at the ends. We have one girl with past waist length long, shiny super soft black hair (needs a S&D really bad, but overall it's really pretty!). A few with chin/shoulder layered styles. I actually had the shortest hair out of everyone until it nearly reached shoulder and then one of the girls chopped to a layered bob at chin length. Ha! I don't have the shortest hair anymore! :D

MissAlida
December 3rd, 2011, 01:31 AM
I see college students with beautiful silky hair down to their waist or TB almost every day. There are alot of longhairs in the college I attend. There is this one girl with classic lenght, tough her hair is not in a good condition...:(

heidi.maryke
December 3rd, 2011, 02:03 AM
Yes! I have noticed here in Oz there are a tonne of highschoolers with longer than BSL natural hair. Long hair is also pretty desirable atm, though alot of ppl are faking it.

krissykins
December 3rd, 2011, 02:06 AM
I don't think it's the generation as much as it is the age group. It's probably part of the reason why older women are told that they must be trying to hang onto their youth when they have longer hair.

beccababesx
December 3rd, 2011, 02:38 AM
Yes, I think it has something to do with the advent of widely available clip in extensions - they're EVERYWHERE! The longest I've seen is somewhere between hip and tailbone, as extensions longer than that (over 24 inches) are harder to come by :p. Funnily enough, I have the longest hair out of anyone in my course at uni now - over 240 people, and I'm only at (nearly) waist length! Most people seem to have APL-BSL heavily layered hair with a side fringe. :)

missdelarocha
December 3rd, 2011, 03:17 AM
krissykins, I was thinking that too.

heidi.maryke, I'm in Australia as well and just lately I have been seeing mostly teenagers with between APL - WL hair, I was surprised the other day when I saw it 'for the first time' actually, I was like, damn, now it's a trend... This always happens to me!
I think it is to do with all of the models with natural type hair, ombre is still popular here a bit too.

tori93
December 3rd, 2011, 03:27 AM
not at my school.. the majority of girls had hair a few inches past shoulder or APL. Also short hair became quite popular (shorter than chin) , just a new fashion trend (probably because of certain celebrities in the uk).
very few girls with BSL, most longer hair was extensions that were straightened and i suppose most girls straightened their hair and bleaching was quite popular.
I can't remeber any girl with hair BSL or longer except one with about waist length hair...:rolleyes: so i guess there wasn't much long hair for inspiration.

alyanna
December 3rd, 2011, 03:35 AM
I believe longer, straight or slightly wavy hair is becoming more trendy these days judging from fashion magazines. I do think the popularity of extensions facilitates this trend.

noelgirl
December 3rd, 2011, 08:57 AM
It does seem like long hair is more common with teens today than it was when I was their age (roughly a decade ago). Most of the girls in my high school had hair around shoulder length and straightened/highlighted. I wore my hair long in its natural dark color and got lots of pressure to cut. I was stubborn back then, too, so it didn't work :D

blondie9912
December 3rd, 2011, 10:26 AM
At my school as well! There are twins with virgin TB hair and my all ogle over it. Too bad so many girls in HS destroy their hair and dont know how to care for it!

cocoahair
December 3rd, 2011, 10:32 AM
Well, being in high school I can tell you all that long hair is very in and very fashionable.

oscarthehamster
December 3rd, 2011, 10:43 AM
Long hair that is healthy is VERY rare in my school. Long hair in general is extremely rare in my school. Most girls have apl to bsl length hair and only one girl out of eight hundred students has waist length. :p

ebba
December 3rd, 2011, 10:54 AM
well most of my friends have BSL-LBL as well as most people in my university. some have short hair, but not much