PDA

View Full Version : It's all fun and games until someone loses a braid!

Maraz
December 2nd, 2011, 03:02 PM
I almost fried one of my braids yesterday while cooking, it was on the stove near the burner when I realized the danger. I guess I'll have to add hair restraints to any future camp fire safety practices, because if I'd been cooking over an open fire, half my hair would've been a goner!

Anyone else have fun close encounters of the accidental hair loss kind lately?

jasper
December 2nd, 2011, 03:06 PM
I did that the day before Thanksgiving. I turned on the wrong burner, and I had let my braid flop forward, so it was right on top of the burner I turned on! I didn't notice for a second because I was still looking at the burner I though I was turning on. Yikes!

Egana
December 2nd, 2011, 03:08 PM
...must have been electric - and a good thing, too! *wink*

Amber_Maiden
December 2nd, 2011, 03:08 PM
Yep, I had lit candles around the apartment and had forgotten one was behind me and leaned back... Got very very close... Like another mm and my hair would have been a goner....

newbeginning
December 2nd, 2011, 03:40 PM
When my hair was longer I leaned against the stove while a burner was on (I think I turned the wrong one on) and I singed the bottom of my hair.

jasper
December 2nd, 2011, 04:14 PM
...must have been electric - and a good thing, too! *wink*

Nope, it is a gas stove. Got the end of my braid a bit singed.

supercupcakexx
December 2nd, 2011, 09:05 PM
I almost fried one of my braids yesterday while cooking, it was on the stove near the burner when I realized the danger. I guess I'll have to add hair restraints to any future camp fire safety practices, because if I'd been cooking over an open fire, half my hair would've been a goner!

Anyone else have fun close encounters of the accidental hair loss kind lately?

Eek! :bigeyes:

I've never done this particularly, but I did once lean too far over a candle and singe my bangs! :shudder:

Fairlight63
December 2nd, 2011, 09:08 PM
I almost got my braid stuck in the seat belt retract mechanism in our car once. Now I make sure that my braid is out of the way.

Inching Along
December 2nd, 2011, 10:37 PM
Oh, my! All your near misses make me shudder. I'm glad you (and your hair) are all OK!

I remember back many years ago when my sister was about 5 years old. She had hair down to about her hips, ringlets too. So cute! She was sitting on the kitchen counter as my mom worked on making a cake in the mixer. I am not sure what happened, exactly, but perhaps my sister turned her head too quickly, and her hair caught on the whirring beater...it yanked out that chunk of hair from her head, poor little one! My mom was quick to stop the mixer, but the painful act had already occurred, just like that. I will have to remember to be extra careful when my hair is longer!

ibleedlipstick
December 3rd, 2011, 12:01 AM
Fairlight63 — I do that all the time! I hate it, but I braid my hair to drive (can't stand to drive with a bun pressing my head forward) and the end consistently clings to the seatbelt.

BerryFlap
December 3rd, 2011, 10:35 AM
I haven't personally, but my cousin leaned back towards the mantlepiece into a candle and singed a good chunk of her waist length hair off... It was her wedding day too, poor thing XD She did look stunning though, and the damage wasn't horrifically obvious, luckily the chunk was small.

trolleypup
December 3rd, 2011, 11:04 AM
Loose hair may catch fire (depending on fineness, dryness, poofiness, treatments), but braided hair is unlikely to do so since the hairs are all squeezed together, although exposed single hairs might burn (quick S&D?).

As a kid I managed to give myself several 1/4 to 1/2 inch area trims from playing with fire, so I know my hair isn't all that flammable...not that I want to test that with my 7 year old ends.

beccababesx
December 3rd, 2011, 11:29 AM
I was S&Ding and jumped, and nearly cut a big chunk out of my hair!!! Nearly died haha, luckily I only lost a few hairs. Long ones though, it was right up around my armpit! Can't bear imagining what could have happened :o

Shadow Walker
December 3rd, 2011, 11:32 AM
I accidentally lit my hair on fire this past winter and lost 7 inches. Drinking and standing near a lit candle is not wise....

Saeth
December 3rd, 2011, 02:33 PM
I was S&Ding and jumped, and nearly cut a big chunk out of my hair!!! Nearly died haha, luckily I only lost a few hairs. Long ones though, it was right up around my armpit! Can't bear imagining what could have happened :o

I done that some months ago and took a small chunk out of my hair which now sticks out of my braid :rolleyes:

Recently my dog decided to grab my ponytail and swing off it. Hurt a lot. I shrieked loud enough she bolted off though. Thank god. If she had started playing tug of war with it....

supbanana
December 3rd, 2011, 03:56 PM

I'm always afraid I'm going to accidentally cut a large chunk off while S&Ding. :scared:

Other than that, I've come dangerously close to lit candles in the past, so now I try to keep them on top of the fireplace or fridge and out of the way. I do still use them during baths in a teensy bathroom, and I'm always afraid I'm going to make one wrong step and burn a chunk.