PDA

View Full Version : Help please!

FrozenBritannia
December 2nd, 2011, 02:51 PM
I wrote about this in my blog, but I really think I should get opinions on it.

I have been taking sulfate glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate ( together in one caplet ) for a little while to help with my knee. The container says to take three daily, but the most I have ever taken is two because I just don't remember. Today I googled it, and apparently glucosamine is known to cause hair loss? I am horrified, I don't want to loose my hair again!!
The search results for lhc on google came up with a thread that the sulphites would increase growth, so now I am really confused.

Is it just the straight glucosamine that causes hair loss? Not the sulphates version? Should I stop taking it? Has anyone else tried it?

jeanniet
December 2nd, 2011, 04:37 PM
I actually have a friend who works in the canine/equine supplement industry (specifically for joint/performance issues) and the company she works for makes high-grade glucosamine supplements for people as well as animals. Let me send her an email and see what she says--if anyone would know, she would. :) PM to remind me if I don't post back in a day or so.

FrozenBritannia
December 2nd, 2011, 05:01 PM
I actually have a friend who works in the canine/equine supplement industry (specifically for joint/performance issues) and the company she works for makes high-grade glucosamine supplements for people as well as animals. Let me send her an email and see what she says--if anyone would know, she would. :) PM to remind me if I don't post back in a day or so.

Thank you!!!

jeanniet
December 2nd, 2011, 08:15 PM
OK, this is what she said. It's not the glucosamine that causes hair loss, BUT chondroitin sulfate has been reported to cause hair loss in rare cases. Since glucosamine is typically paired with chondroitin and that's what people remember taking, the glucosamine gets blamed. She says that glucosamine and MSM (as we know) are actually reported for improving hair growth. She also said that if you're on a blood thinner, chondroitin can enhance its performance, so be very careful and inform your doctor.

Soooo...you might want to change your supplement to a glucosamine-only if you're worried about potential hair loss. :)

FrozenBritannia
December 2nd, 2011, 09:41 PM
OK, this is what she said. It's not the glucosamine that causes hair loss, BUT chondroitin sulfate has been reported to cause hair loss in rare cases. Since glucosamine is typically paired with chondroitin and that's what people remember taking, the glucosamine gets blamed. She says that glucosamine and MSM (as we know) are actually reported for improving hair growth. She also said that if you're on a blood thinner, chondroitin can enhance its performance, so be very careful and inform your doctor.

Soooo...you might want to change your supplement to a glucosamine-only if you're worried about potential hair loss. :)
Thank you, I think I will do that!