PDA

View Full Version : Should I get layers?

Jean Stuart
December 2nd, 2011, 12:32 PM
I have a bunch of short hairs that stick out of my braids from previous damage and growing out bangs and I do not mind that. What is really bothering me is all the short hair has split ends. I S&D but there are so many and they are hard to get to. My question is will getting some small layers help at all?

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p134/jeanstuart/hair009-1-1.jpg

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p134/jeanstuart/hair006.jpg

Madora
December 2nd, 2011, 12:34 PM
If you want less hassle with braids and updos, layers are not your friend. Layered hair ends keep popping up in braids and buns and you have to pin like mad to keep them tidy.

Amber_Maiden
December 2nd, 2011, 12:42 PM
I had that problem as well and got layers- it cleaned up the damage pretty well!

Jean Stuart
December 2nd, 2011, 01:02 PM
Thank you ladies. I was thinking I am growing out uneven lengths as it is so why not neaten them up a bit. Not shown in the pics are chin length and some longer wisps that are growing out from an old pair of glasses that ripped my hair out at the root on both sides of my fore head over and over for at least a year. I will have to talk to my hair dresser and see if we can come up with something i will not regret.

spidermom
December 2nd, 2011, 01:17 PM
No matter what you do, you are always going to have hairs sticking out of your braids.

unknown
December 2nd, 2011, 03:01 PM
Applying some mousse/conditioner on slightly damp hair will keep the ends together making layered hair look just as good as one-length hair while braided/in an updo.

I have face framing layers cut into all of my hair and can do all types of braids without ends sticking out.

HintOfMint
December 2nd, 2011, 09:54 PM
Layers are a good way to get at the damage higher up in your hair, I recommend them.

beccababesx
December 3rd, 2011, 11:39 AM
Well I have layers, and am about to give up on growing them out and get more cut in so I may be biased :p. No matter what you do, you will always have hairs sticking out of braids as spidermom said, and layers will make that a lot worse - instead of hairs you'll have big chunks! Plus, you'll never get ALL the splits out of your hair. However I do think layers are great for getting out damage without losing length, and look lovely, adding volume, body and movement. I vote yes :D

jesis
December 3rd, 2011, 11:42 AM
To get those hairs to stay down you usually have to beat them off with a bat.

Or you could try a BBB, works pretty well for me. It makes my hair, and all of my layers, look very uniform and neat. :)

Seeshami
December 3rd, 2011, 11:42 AM
UltraBella has some amazing layers. I love her hair.

Anyways moving on, I hate my layers with a passion. But I can't envision the naughty mess not having them because it's part of what makes the mess, the naughty mess.

jacqueline101
December 3rd, 2011, 12:29 PM
I would talk to your hair dresser and explain to her why you want layers and that you are wanting to get rid of the damages. Tell her you're wanting to have long hair keep your growth.

Jean Stuart
December 3rd, 2011, 01:47 PM
Thank you ladies, I am going to go one day this week and see what I can see. It is all the splits driving me crazy. Maybe there is a middle ground.