PDA

View Full Version : Blonde and winter

Herb
December 2nd, 2011, 08:14 AM
I'm a natural blonde. For the past three months or so I've been continually wearing hats (more than I ever had in previous years), and as a consequence my roots are looking pretty dunn. I feel like keeping my head toasty has done good for shedding, but I do miss the brightness.

How about you people? Is your hair starting to dull out? (this excludes those Aussies and Kiwis, of course :D)

And is it possible to sun your head on chilly days and keep warm?

Madora
December 2nd, 2011, 03:40 PM
I'm a natural blonde. For the past three months or so I've been continually wearing hats (more than I ever had in previous years), and as a consequence my roots are looking pretty dunn. I feel like keeping my head toasty has done good for shedding, but I do miss the brightness.

How about you people? Is your hair starting to dull out? (this excludes those Aussies and Kiwis, of course :D)

You lose heat when your head is not covered, so please, for the sake of your scalp and hair, wear something warm on it in the winter months.

Kizuna
December 2nd, 2011, 03:48 PM
My hair does get darker in the winter (i'm a blonde too).. but where I live we barely have any sun during winter so that's why. Even when we have sun I can't be without the hat (cause sun in the winter equals very cold temperatures here). So for me there's nothing to do. I'll just keep waiting till the summer comes. I'd rather stay warm :)

Amber_Maiden
December 2nd, 2011, 03:50 PM
I'm pretty sure everyone's hair colour gets darker in the winter, not only blondes. It's probably just more noticeable on blondes, that's all. I'm auburn, and I remember my hair used to go gold blonde/red in the summer and in the winter very dark brown, close to black... Weird hair huh?

long&blonde
December 2nd, 2011, 05:32 PM
Cold doesn't bother me, but it bothers my sinuses! If I don't wear some type of warm hat constantly outside,when I get inside, I take a constant sneezing fit. Hat on? Not a sneeze happens! Nutty but true!

beckishness
December 2nd, 2011, 07:46 PM
Cold doesn't bother me, but it bothers my sinuses! If I don't wear some type of warm hat constantly outside,when I get inside, I take a constant sneezing fit. Hat on? Not a sneeze happens! Nutty but true

Oh I don't think that is nutty at all! The same exact thing happens to me! Cold + wet hair = sneezing fit.

Kelikea
December 2nd, 2011, 07:59 PM
Your hair may darken slightly without the sunlight, but could the winter air have made it drier? Maybe it needs a little moisture or oil to shine it up a bit?

Anywhere
December 2nd, 2011, 08:15 PM
Your hair may darken slightly without the sunlight, but could the winter air have made it drier? Maybe it needs a little moisture or oil to shine it up a bit?

hair is lighter when dry. Oil makes my hair look wet/dark.

and yep. I get this. Awkward dark blonde in summer, awkward light brown in winter. :rolleyes:

Springlets
December 3rd, 2011, 01:59 AM
I live in california, but if I lived somewhere colder in winter I would value keeping my head warm. :)

A lot of people on the boards here have reported good results with using the John Frieda Go Blonder shampoo and conditioner (myself included). Also white vinegar rinses keep my hair shiny and will at least brighten if not lighten your roots. HTH.

RoseOfClare
December 3rd, 2011, 06:11 PM
Natrual blonde as well :) I actually do a lemon Rinse with my regular hair care and notice it helps my roots from gettin too dark compared to my tips.

I am outside all the time in the summer winter not so much! So after my summer "bleaching" my roots will really stand out in winter Ive found since I've started Lemon rinsing it's not as bad.

Plus if you try doin ahoney treatment on your hair it might help too :)

QueenOfTheSkye
December 13th, 2011, 08:12 PM
My hair turns dull too! It goes down a full color-ranking-shade-thingy.

As for sunning your roots in the winter, there are these headbands you can get or make if you have the skills (microfleece is the best) that cover your hairline and your ears, but not the top of your head. Hope that helps!

kwaniesiam
December 13th, 2011, 08:15 PM
You could look in to trying cassia obovata. It gives temporary gold tones to your hair and is a wonderful conditioner.

Hotrox
December 13th, 2011, 08:32 PM
My hair turns dull too! It goes down a full color-ranking-shade-thingy.

As for sunning your roots in the winter, there are these headbands you can get or make if you have the skills (microfleece is the best) that cover your hairline and your ears, but not the top of your head. Hope that helps!

This is what I was thinking of too, a calorimetry head band will keep you head warm and also let some sun get to the crown. You can see an example here: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=34999&highlight=calorimetry&page=2

Anje
December 13th, 2011, 08:36 PM
As a redhead, I've gotten the winter browns, which was largely what prompted me to first try henna. Blonds aren't the only ones who end up with dull hair when there's no light.

jacqueline101
December 13th, 2011, 08:40 PM
I'm a natural blonde too. My hair get darker in the winter and dries out a lot more I find it harder to keep it healthy. I have to wear a hat for warmth but I don't think that's causing it to dry out.

Oksana
December 14th, 2011, 03:50 AM
I'm in the same boat. You can see my dull roots coming through on my sig picture. I won't start lightening up for a good 3 months :(

As a previous poster said, lemon rinses are good and also maybe a honey treatment on the roots?

Jesabel
December 14th, 2011, 05:48 AM
Although I live in Aus I'm confused as to why this would exclude Kiwis >.<

ktani
December 14th, 2011, 07:05 AM

A safer way to brighten may be this, http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=40946

BlondieHepburn
December 14th, 2011, 07:16 AM
I'm also naturally blonde, and, like many others, experience dark roots in the winter months. It makes my sun-lightened length look artificially dyed! I did a bit of research as to how I could make it look a little more even, and I came across the ombre hair trend. I never knew it was a "thing" and was (not so) surprised to find that people made their hair look this way on purpose! So I guess us winter blondes are just naturally trendy. :cool:

Herb
December 14th, 2011, 04:16 PM
Although I live in Aus I'm confused as to why this would exclude Kiwis >.< Isn't it summer in New Zealand and Australia?

Thanks for all the advice you guys! Definitely helpful!:D