PDA

View Full Version : How often do you microtrim?

CrunchyMama
December 1st, 2011, 06:13 PM
Well... my query is self-explanatory, I think. :) So how often?? I want my hemline to thicken. It's sadly thin.

Amber_Maiden
December 1st, 2011, 07:25 PM
I microtrim anywhere from every month to every three months. Really depends how I feel and how my hair looks.

battles
December 1st, 2011, 08:47 PM
I only trim about once or twice a year. At this length, I don't feel the need to trim all that often.

Fairlight63
December 1st, 2011, 08:51 PM
My hair is also thin. I have been trimming monthly about 1/4 in. and it is getting thicker I think plus I am still gaining some length. I have been trimming monthly all this yr. & gained 5 in. So I guess that I trimmed off all together an inch. in the yr.

CrunchyMama
December 1st, 2011, 08:57 PM
Gaining 5" sounds impressive! Maybe monthly is the way to go...

coffinhert
December 1st, 2011, 10:05 PM
My hair is pretty thick, but I have really bad splits from dying it. I S&D every week, and I microtrim every six months or so.

Avital88
December 1st, 2011, 10:27 PM
right now i will do it every month until march,i need to thicken up and gain length

longhairedlady
December 1st, 2011, 11:04 PM
I dont do it very often. I think this year I have done maybe 1 or 2 microtrims.

Seeshami
December 1st, 2011, 11:21 PM
My micro trims are s&d mostly. I can't say I have honestly trimmed my hair in ummmm......... 8 months.....I think...

jeanniet
December 2nd, 2011, 01:10 AM
I started with monthly dustings, but as my hair grew it got healthier (plus I had dusted the worst off), so now I only do it if I feel like my ends could use a little refreshing. I think I've dusted maybe once or twice in the past six months to a year. I do S & D, though, but even with that I don't find a whole lot of damage anymore.

almond
December 2nd, 2011, 01:35 AM
I trim 1/2-1/3'' every 2-3 months. I don't like to trim it because my hair doesn't seem to grow fast, and it's usually not too damaged, but i don't like my wispy ends.
I S&D too, every 1-2 weeks.

Lissandria
December 2nd, 2011, 02:06 AM
I trim 1/8" or so every month or three weeks. It's starting to be a little too often as I have trimmed off lots of damage and taken much better care of my hair the last four months. I just need to let it grow now.

celebriangel
December 2nd, 2011, 02:17 AM
If you don't like your hemline's thickness, I would microtrim monthly, taking off all your growth for the month, for 6 months or so. You should see decent improvement in that time frame. Or you could grow to your goal length then maintain - 32 inches can't be far off WL.

I don't normally microtrim, because my hair is not all that damaged and my ends don't really split. However I will be taking off all my growth for the next 3-4 months because I want to change my deep U-shaped hemline into a soft U. Then I'll likely resume my once/twice-yearly half-inch trims.

PorkChop
December 2nd, 2011, 02:17 AM
Its been like every 6 months for me

Olga-Freya
December 2nd, 2011, 02:26 AM
I microtrim monthly, because I love how my ends look even after such a tiny cuts. And I do S & D too.

chelles2kids
December 2nd, 2011, 07:38 AM
This year I've had dh do 2 micro trims {less than 1/2 inch} & 1 other regular trim {about 1.5 inches}.

Next year I'm hoping to get by with only 1 micro trim...but we'll have to wait & see how my ends behave.:p

Arctic
December 2nd, 2011, 08:16 AM
I have short hair at the moment, and have been micro trimming about once a month, and trimming any mullety bits at the back too. It still has grown steadily, and I propably will continue this approach.

CrunchyMama
December 3rd, 2011, 09:02 AM
If you don't like your hemline's thickness, I would microtrim monthly, taking off all your growth for the month, for 6 months or so. You should see decent improvement in that time frame. Or you could grow to your goal length then maintain - 32 inches can't be far off WL.

I don't normally microtrim, because my hair is not all that damaged and my ends don't really split. However I will be taking off all my growth for the next 3-4 months because I want to change my deep U-shaped hemline into a soft U. Then I'll likely resume my once/twice-yearly half-inch trims.
Thanks celebriangel, your advice sounds like just the ticket for me! You're right, I'm not too far off from WL at 32", in fact some might even stretch it and say I'm there, but I'm not willing to call it WL until my hemline thickens a bit. ;)

Loreley
December 3rd, 2011, 09:25 AM
I usually trim monthly because I love trimming my hair. :p But actually I haven't trimmed for 2 months and won't till the end of this year cause I'm painfully close to my goal (only 1,5" needed). After reaching my goal length I'll do monthly trims again. My ends are too thin to my taste.

natnatsmama
December 3rd, 2011, 03:05 PM
What is considered a micro trim? I have been trimming a half inch every 6 months and now every 4 months. I have waist length hair and am trying to get it to evern out from all of my layers as well as reach my tailbone length goal by late 2012

beccababesx
December 4th, 2011, 04:38 AM
Once every 6 months or so for me, but I S&D literally every single day, so I don't often feel the need.

kanaka
December 4th, 2011, 09:12 AM
I do it once a month, for my layers catch up. but that takes a while for me. so i need to wait for a while at TBL and trim a lot for my layers to catch up :)

blondie9912
December 4th, 2011, 09:36 AM
I have an interesting dilemma- the shorter layers of my hair are damaged with dye while the longest layers (underneath) are virgin hair. Ironically, the hair that I need to be growing out, the shorter layers, are also the ones that need to be trimmed because they are more prone to splitting. However, if I were to trim my shorter layers while letting the long, healthy ones grow, I would end up with a style that is much too layered for my liking. I've decided on microtrimming my longest layer about 1/2" every two months, and not touching my shorter layers. Thankfully, the shortest layers don't have splits yet, they are just considerably drier and 'crispier' than the rest.

lesbia
December 4th, 2011, 10:41 AM
Every 3 mounths for me :)

Syrena
December 4th, 2011, 10:44 AM
I started to microtrim in November. I microtrim every month around 0,5 inch. My hemline is in desparate need for even up!

Kiwiwi
December 4th, 2011, 11:34 AM
I dust every 4 months. Or basicly when I feel my hair needs it. But only dust.

Shona
December 4th, 2011, 11:45 AM
I have an interesting dilemma- the shorter layers of my hair are damaged with dye while the longest layers (underneath) are virgin hair. Ironically, the hair that I need to be growing out, the shorter layers, are also the ones that need to be trimmed because they are more prone to splitting. However, if I were to trim my shorter layers while letting the long, healthy ones grow, I would end up with a style that is much too layered for my liking. I've decided on microtrimming my longest layer about 1/2" every two months, and not touching my shorter layers. Thankfully, the shortest layers don't have splits yet, they are just considerably drier and 'crispier' than the rest.

I am in the exact same boat! SO glad i am not alone with this!:p

Shona
December 4th, 2011, 11:46 AM
I am microtrimming every 3 or so weeks to get rid of very old heat damage, and to avoid a big chop of course :-)

CashmereHair
January 16th, 2012, 02:08 PM
I microtrim every month

CarpeDM
January 16th, 2012, 02:34 PM
I just did a microtrim and it has been 7 months since my last real trim...

Kristin
January 16th, 2012, 03:30 PM
About once a month. Sometimes I get a little neurotic and do it once a week for 2-3 weeks in a row, but usually just once a month. It helps to keep my hemline pretty thick.

Long_hair_bear
January 16th, 2012, 03:53 PM
I don't micro trim. I trim every 6 months as needed at my hairstylists. If I did it myself, I'd have zig zag hair. :D

QMacrocarpa
January 16th, 2012, 03:55 PM
I don't think I really "microtrim", it's difficult for me to self-trim a teensy amount off (though now that I know about Feye's self-trim maybe I'll do better). My last trim was about an inch last April. I don't S&D, and I trim as needed, so when I'm getting short bits breaking off and my hair won't stay untangled for even a moment after I've just combed it, that's my cue to get out the scissors. Once or twice a year.

white.chocolate
January 17th, 2012, 03:31 AM
I microtrim when S&D becomes an impossible task. That ranges from 6 months to a year. I don't microtrim everyday nor every week (about once in 2 weeks), so it's not hard for S&D to become less and less efficient with time.

Carissamarie08
January 17th, 2012, 03:44 AM
I just don't trim period. Well its been over a year, and I don't plan on trimming this year either. Ive never found a benefit from it personally. I just grow grow grow.

Audrey Horne
January 17th, 2012, 04:17 AM
I micro-trim monthly, sometimes twice a month.

Angel_099
January 17th, 2012, 04:27 AM
Once every few months for me. :)

Mannaz
January 17th, 2012, 07:13 AM
I'm going back to my every other month- regime, which I did most of my growing ( I had bleach to get rid of). It seems my hair likes trimming just a little (0,5 cm) more often than bigger trims not so often. When I get rid of the most thinnest ends I'll propably will stretch my trimmings to every third month. Wow, I didn't know I have a plan in this! :D