PDA

View Full Version : hot, hangs, no fun, blah!

BrianaFineHair
July 9th, 2008, 09:03 PM
My hair is between jaw and collar bone length now. My hair is fine and thin but very healthy and shiney. It looks thicker to a lot people.

The thing is, it's hot! All I can do is use a head band or barrettes. :rolleyes: I must blow dry/finger dry too. I have let it air dry and I feel so ugly when I do. I look like I just don't care. I can get away with drying it until it feels about half dry. I guess that's good.

When I take exercise class I use a head band and use a scrunchie to make the most pathetic little "bun" you would ever see. My teen DD giggles and says that she can barely see any hair but only scrunchie (I'm gonna spank her! :p She detected a look of discouragement the other day and quickly told me it was "cute"). Well, I told her that I need the hair off of my neck and out of my face when I work out.

OH, and I can not forget the bangs - chin length. They just barely stay tucked behind my ears but forget getting them into that pathetic scrunchie or pony stub. Bangs are extremely slow growing too.

There is no way I'll ever cut my hair again once it gets to my dream length! This is really a difficult adventure!

Thank you for reading my moaning and complaining. :o

Bucatini
July 9th, 2008, 09:15 PM
Oh BrianaFineHair I feel your pain, it's such an awkward stage of growing out not just your overall length but your bangs, too! In July!

Can you slick your hair back? Or have you thought about wearing "puppy ears"? I don't know if that's just what my family calls it, but I'm talking about when you do two pigtails but they're only half-ups? It's popular for three-year-olds ;) But it would get your bangs and short stuff out of your face to give you a little comfort. I was in your position with growth and summer heat colliding, years ago when growing out a shag. I wore that style any time I was not at work, just to get a break!

Good luck! :grouphug:

BrianaFineHair
July 9th, 2008, 09:24 PM
Hey, I could wear puppy dog ears at the house! My kids would get a kick out of it.

Doing them half up would enable me to get the bangs in. I'm 39 and would feel a bit silly but my family knows I'm silly sometimes - and they love me for it! :D

I know I've made a lot of progress so far; just getting it in that little scrunchie is something I could not do when I joined LHC. I'm getting ready to order some of these. I actually got the link from a thread here.

http://www.knotheads.com/

Riot Crrl
July 9th, 2008, 09:29 PM
Just think of it this way: it is the last summer of wee scrunchie! Next summer: a bun.

Bucatini
July 9th, 2008, 09:35 PM
BrianaFineHair I'm glad you knew what I was talking about! So long as you're young at heart. Those knotheads look like they'll be fun for you, too.

Pierre
July 9th, 2008, 10:18 PM
You might want to try double Dutch braids. They're my favorite style this summer. They don't need as much length as a single Dutch braid, and they keep my hair thin over most of my head.

BrianaFineHair
July 10th, 2008, 06:34 PM
What is a double dutch braid? Is that the same as a french braid?

BrianaFineHair
July 10th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Just think of it this way: it is the last summer of wee scrunchie! Next summer: a bun.

Yes! I'm keeping my eye on the prize! :D

Riot Crrl
July 10th, 2008, 06:41 PM

Dutch is the same as French, but the sections are passed under each other instead of over. The result looks like French is more "tucked in," but Dutch is in relief, as though a normal braid is pinned on there.

BrianaFineHair
July 10th, 2008, 06:46 PM
Dutch is the same as French, but the sections are passed under each other instead of over. The result looks like French is more "tucked in," but Dutch is in relief, as though a normal braid is pinned on there.

Thank you, Riot Crrl ;)

I'll google to see if I can get some pics. I need a visual. Maybe I can enlist my teen DD to do it for me. :cool:

Riot Crrl
July 10th, 2008, 06:53 PM
I found some. I googled but I could have probably got some just from people's sigs on here, lol.

This is Dutch: http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y172/Lambing1/thdutchbraid.bmp
See how you can see the braid is anchored to her scalp hair, but it looks almost separate?

And then French: http://dcwblogs.com/beauty/media/french-braid1.jpg
Still a braid, still anchored to the scalp hair, but it's "tucked in" to the scalp hair.

BrianaFineHair
July 10th, 2008, 07:40 PM
I definitly see the difference between the two. I guess with shorter hair, one would do one of these as a double (on each side of the head)?

I found braiding videos on you tube :)

kwaniesiam
July 10th, 2008, 07:49 PM
We have a similar hairtype and length. I can *almost* do a sock bun, you might try those? It makes your hair look thicker and longer. I also really like the double braids, but I do french because dutch are too tricky for my on myself :silly:

Pegasus Marsters
July 10th, 2008, 08:20 PM
You'll get through it quicker than you realise! Soon you'll have a proper ponytail. I promise! I was shocked how fast I went from not being able to do anything to having a real ponytail.

Pierre
July 10th, 2008, 08:51 PM
Here are pictures.

embee
July 10th, 2008, 08:55 PM
Oooh, you have my sympathy! I know where you are and it is *so* hot and *so* humid and *so* sticky all the time in summer. Can you get your hair into a peacock twist? That would be quick and cute. You're young, it would be ok even in public! ;)

How's that Boykin Spaniel taking the heat? Pretty puppy!

julya
July 10th, 2008, 09:03 PM
Hey, I could wear puppy dog ears at the house! My kids would get a kick out of it.

Doing them half up would enable me to get the bangs in. I'm 39 and would feel a bit silly but my family knows I'm silly sometimes - and they love me for it! :D

I know I've made a lot of progress so far; just getting it in that little scrunchie is something I could not do when I joined LHC. I'm getting ready to order some of these. I actually got the link from a thread here.

http://www.knotheads.com/

I made myself a couple of those knotheads things out of ribbon and plastic coated twistie ties. It was actually pretty easy, and I am clueless when it comes to sewing. I just cut the ribbon to the right length, I made mine about 8" long. Then I folded the ribbon around the twistie tie and sewed it by hand.

BrianaFineHair
July 11th, 2008, 08:30 AM
Julya, what a great idea! I'm looking forward to getting them in and playing with them.

embee, I can get the peacock twist (or some type of twist) in but my hair is really slippery and they just barely stay in place. By the way, Hershee is doing fantastic. I had to shave her down a couple of weeks ago. I can tell she feels better like that in the summer time. :)

Pierre, that is exactly how I envisioned the double dutch braids to look like. Thank you for the link to the pictures. Do you braid yourself? I see your hair is a bit longer than mine.

kwaniesiam, not sure what a sock bun is, but I'll go in search. I appreciate the idea! ;)

pegasus marsters, the encouragement I get from you all is the best!

paper
July 11th, 2008, 08:36 AM
Oh, I can feel your pain too. I've been growing out chin length layered all over hair for 10 months. I can now wear my hair in a clip without the sides falling out. :cheese: I'm not sure how long I'll grow my hair, but once I get all one length, I'll never cut it short with layers again!

lora410
July 11th, 2008, 08:37 AM
Hang in their it will pass soon. What about using a cute scarf as a headband to look a bit cuter then a standard headband. You could also do to small sock buns (one on each side) using childrens socks you find at walmart. I may give that a try now:lol:

danacc
July 11th, 2008, 09:09 PM
You can also do a "sock bun" with cut stockings or even cut pantyhose. It is helpful to choose a color that closely matches your hair. That way if there are places where the hair does not thickly cover the "sock", it is not noticeable.

mommy2one05
July 15th, 2008, 05:38 PM
I made myself a couple of those knotheads things out of ribbon and plastic coated twistie ties. It was actually pretty easy, and I am clueless when it comes to sewing. I just cut the ribbon to the right length, I made mine about 8" long. Then I folded the ribbon around the twistie tie and sewed it by hand.

Can you put your hair up with the similar knothead thing you made?
They look pretty neat but I can't spend $12 on a hair toy right now.

embee
July 15th, 2008, 06:59 PM
Perhaps a peacock twist with one of those "no slip" barettes? I've not tried one, but they do have a certain feel to them that makes me think they'd stay in place. I see them for sale at my grocery store and my drug store.

julya
July 16th, 2008, 12:41 AM
Can you put your hair up with the similar knothead thing you made?
They look pretty neat but I can't spend $12 on a hair toy right now.

I've used mine along with a hair stick to make a chinese bun, but I'm not sure if that would work for the OP. It also works for ponytails, and to secure the ends of braids.

Katze
July 16th, 2008, 06:13 AM
gosh, I'll trade you. It's cold and raining here, has been so for a couple of weeks now.

My favorite hot weather 'do is to oil my hair, put it into two braids and pin them up. The oil keeps the braids smooth(er), the 'do is pretty and feminine, and it doesn't fall out if I use enough bobby pins (the long ones).

Pierre
July 16th, 2008, 06:51 PM
Pierre, that is exactly how I envisioned the double dutch braids to look like. Thank you for the link to the pictures. Do you braid yourself? I see your hair is a bit longer than mine.
Yes, but I don't speak double Dutch, so I can't explain it :p