PDA

View Full Version : healthy emo hair.

Changling
December 1st, 2011, 11:40 AM
That's an oxymoron.

Anyways I used to have this short, emo pixie hairstyle thing, the one with the long bangs. This was about two pixie cuts ago T__T and I'm now rocking a jawline bob. I really want to grow my hair out because it hasn't been long in ten years, and I seem to remember it being awesome (plus I miss my ponytail).

BUT does anyone know of a way to get the scene/emo style without all the horrible back-combing and hairspraying? I love the choppy look, I don't need to have super-big hair, and I am paying attention to it and trying to keep it as healthy as I can, so this is possible, right?

Does anyone else have an emo hairstyle? Care to share how you get the look whilst being careful not to destroy your hair?

AmberLouise
December 1st, 2011, 12:09 PM
If you do get a lot of layers put in for that "choppy" look make sure they use a hair shears and not a razor, as razoring hair can cause split ends. Also I've heard dry shampoo can add a lot of lift to some types of hair so you could try using it at the crown of your head to get the volume you want instead of back combing. Sorry I'm not that much help but it is really hard to think of healthy scene hair :p You could try to google "natural scene hair' to get some ideas for styles that are less damaging.

vanity_acefake
December 1st, 2011, 12:15 PM
Have you tried hair powder. That's meant to give lots of lift and texture.

Amber_Maiden
December 1st, 2011, 12:16 PM
Lush used to have a goth hair styling gel... they don't make it anymore I don't think, but I remember my friends using it and it being pretty awesome.
They make this, which is pretty similar: http://www.lush.ca/shop/products/hair/styling-gels/dirty-hair-cream

And Lush is pretty natural. Won't do as much damage as other products.

unknown
December 1st, 2011, 12:34 PM
Hair mousse! Most of them doesn't contain alcohol and does no damage to your hair.

Kristin
December 1st, 2011, 02:27 PM
I bet you could get quite a bit of volume in the top if you set the short layers with BIG magnetic rollers. It shouldn't curl them, either.

Changling
December 1st, 2011, 03:53 PM
If you do get a lot of layers put in for that "choppy" look make sure they use a hair shears and not a razor, as razoring hair can cause split ends.

I used to razor my hair, until I heard it could cause splits. As long as I use hair scissors, I hope I can make it choppy without risking splits.

Have you tried hair powder. That's meant to give lots of lift and texture.

I saw a post once about cocoa powder as a dry shampoo for brunettes...I have to try it!

Hair mousse! Most of them doesn't contain alcohol and does no damage to your hair.

I had no idea! I pretty much just stopped using all my hair products when I noticed how much alcohol most of them have...I'll have to read the label!

I bet you could get quite a bit of volume in the top if you set the short layers with BIG magnetic rollers. It shouldn't curl them, either.

I have wavy hair naturally, and my biggest problem is trying to get my hair straight (without heat) while also building volume (without backcombing or hairspray). Aren't curlers meant for curling hair? How would it not get curly?

HintOfMint
December 1st, 2011, 09:44 PM
I second the hair powder. Also I've used mousse at the roots and it gives a LOT of lift and hold.

Also, I too started growing out my hair from an emo-pixie style (short and spikey in the back, with long bangs). My hair is now approaching tailbone.

Quixii
December 1st, 2011, 10:58 PM
I have wavy hair naturally, and my biggest problem is trying to get my hair straight (without heat) while also building volume (without backcombing or hairspray). Aren't curlers meant for curling hair? How would it not get curly?
Big curlers (like soup can+ size) are big enough that it doesn't really create a curl so much as a gentle wave, which in shorter hair, if wrapped the right way, will really just show up as volume instead of curl.

Rebeccalaurenxx
December 1st, 2011, 11:40 PM
Haha, I think I can be of the most assistance in this thread.
I myself, have the "scene/emo" very choppy layers, multi colored hair, blah blah blah.
Since joining LHC i have stopped this torture to my hair, and now see growth.
I also recently found that for this style, having straight hair REALLY isnt everything.
Currently, the trend for this label of hair, isnt straight. Emo hair can be curly or wavy and still rock! Its all about color and texture imo. Lots of layers and exciting colors can make this style work.

hototogisu
December 1st, 2011, 11:44 PM
There are two kinds of hair powder - dry shampoo and these newer volumising powders. The volumising powders come in a shaker. Osis dust it is a popular brand, and Aveds makes one in a little squeeze bottle. You part your hair, sprinkle A LITTLE on the root, then massage it in. The powder feels kind of wet and the volume you get is shocking.

FWIW - I love, love, love doing vintage wet roller sets with wet hair. I don't think hairspray is inherently damaging, but I think brushing out sprayed/set hair is, as the hair fibers are glued to each other and i the cuticle rips as they're pulled away. What I do is mix up an SMT with a lot of oil, thoroughly wet my styled, totally uncombed hair, then let the SMT soak for an hour or so. The oil/conditioner dissolves all the setting lotion and spray, and it combs out really easily.

I'm actually doing a perm rod set this weekend for a party, something that reliably gives me giant Studio 54 Bianca Jagger hair, but I think the huge huge curly look isnt something you want to go for!

Oh - I also adore Motions Foaming Wrap Lotion to do sets.

Panth
December 2nd, 2011, 12:41 AM
If you do get a lot of layers put in for that "choppy" look make sure they use a hair shears and not a razor, as razoring hair can cause split ends.

I used to razor my hair, until I heard it could cause splits. As long as I use hair scissors, I hope I can make it choppy without risking splits.

As far as razoring goes, what generally causes the splits is when they don't use a fresh razor after each person's hair cut. They need to be super-sharp so just make sure the hairdresser gets out a fresh, brand new razor for you and you should be fine.

I guess another thing I think of as being common in 'scene' hair is bleach/colour. Bleach is, obviously, going to do some damage. You can minimise that by only touching up your roots, never covering your roots by re-bleaching the whole hair. Ktani also has something in her blog (google it) about using coconut oil when bleaching to help minimise damage, I think.

As far as colour goes, most deposit-only dyes (Manic Panic, Special Effects, etc.) are not going to do much damage. What you want to avoid using very often is demi-permanent and permanent hair dyes - those are the ones that contain bleach (semi-permanent generally doesn't).

colibri
December 2nd, 2011, 12:58 AM
you can get straight hair with volume by puting a big roller on your canopy and then wrap the rest of your hair.

unknown
December 2nd, 2011, 08:26 AM
Double post, sry

unknown
December 2nd, 2011, 08:29 AM
I also recently found that for this style, having straight hair REALLY isnt everything.
Currently, the trend for this label of hair, isnt straight. Emo hair can be curly or wavy and still rock! Its all about color and texture imo. Lots of layers and exciting colors can make this style work.

I know that this isn't really the stereotypical "emo", but this is still what comes to my mind;

http://blog.frisorska.se/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/busiga_vaagor.jpg

http://blog.frisorska.se/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/gratis_klippning.png

I especially love the first one.

Changling
December 2nd, 2011, 05:00 PM
I guess another thing I think of as being common in 'scene' hair is bleach/colour. Bleach is, obviously, going to do some damage. You can minimise that by only touching up your roots, never covering your roots by re-bleaching the whole hair. Ktani also has something in her blog (google it) about using coconut oil when bleaching to help minimise damage, I think.

As far as colour goes, most deposit-only dyes (Manic Panic, Special Effects, etc.) are not going to do much damage. What you want to avoid using very often is demi-permanent and permanent hair dyes - those are the ones that contain bleach (semi-permanent generally doesn't).

I'm not dying my hair anymore, I now have totally virgin hair and I love it. I bleached and dyed a LOT up until last year, when I decided to stop. I do want to get bright extensions to put in though...probably red would look best with my natural hair color, but purple might be interesting too...I'll have to experiment.

Orangerthanred
December 3rd, 2011, 10:34 AM
Unless your hair is naturally dead straight, naturally voluminous but not poofy, and can change colours at will... I don't think an "emo" hair style can be healthy.

oktobergoud
December 3rd, 2011, 11:18 AM
Lush used to have a goth hair styling gel... they don't make it anymore I don't think, but I remember my friends using it and it being pretty awesome.
They make this, which is pretty similar: http://www.lush.ca/shop/products/hair/styling-gels/dirty-hair-cream

And Lush is pretty natural. Won't do as much damage as other products.

I use Dirty! I like it, it gives me volume and smells nice :) And I don't find it damaging at all, it's easy to wash out etc.

Also, I think I'm getting officially old.. I thought of hair itself that was emo, as in, sad :P Sad hair haha!

Changling
December 3rd, 2011, 02:19 PM
Also, I think I'm getting officially old.. I thought of hair itself that was emo, as in, sad :P Sad hair haha!

well any hair that is subjected to the magnitude of mistreatment most emo kids put their hair through would be pretty sad. I'm going for happy emo hair XD lol

Anywhere
December 3rd, 2011, 02:30 PM
Just my :twocents:

I'm seconding/whatevering this statement: Products are not bad. A LOT of us curlies use gels and mousses still to get hold and style. I use mousse and it works to give my hair a good amount of volume.

You could always tip your head upside down, put a little mousse in your hands, and ruffle it into the roots of your (dry) hair. stay in that position for a bit so it can dry. flip back over (gently) and you should have volume for a few hours.

Changling
December 3rd, 2011, 04:19 PM
Just my :twocents:

I'm seconding/whatevering this statement: Products are not bad. A LOT of us curlies use gels and mousses still to get hold and style. I use mousse and it works to give my hair a good amount of volume.

You could always tip your head upside down, put a little mousse in your hands, and ruffle it into the roots of your (dry) hair. stay in that position for a bit so it can dry. flip back over (gently) and you should have volume for a few hours.

I have no problem with products, I have a mousse I quite like that I was going to use for volume - it's just the hairspraying and teasing I used to do, I really don't want to do that anymore :( it was so bad for my hair, I noticed the damage immediately, even back then when I barely cared about my hair's health :(

Changling
December 10th, 2011, 07:57 AM
For anyone who might be interested, I have made a breakthrough :D

When I had long hair, I liked to braid it damp and take it out when it dried for braid waves, and I used to enjoy doing a few tiny ones for a crimped look. So my hair is *just about* a jawline bob now, and for my dad's birthday party (it was a pretty big deal, they rented a hall and had it catered and everything!), I decided my hair was finally long enough to try it again! Not all the hair on my head was long enough to braid, just around the tops of my ears and above, but it worked out perfectly! You couldn't even see that the hair below wasn't wavy. I did a whole bunch of tight braids, probably 20+, but it didn't even take as long as straightening and teasing my hair used to.

And here's the awesome part: it gave me the volume I needed for the emo style, PLUS the next day it looked like it had been straightened! It was still slightly crimp-y but that just gave it volume, and it was totally the look I was going for! I feel like I could even try making loser braids to make it less crimpy, and more straightened looking. Then maybe it would dry faster, too XD