PDA

View Full Version : Scalp massages

Avital88
December 1st, 2011, 05:04 AM
Hello everyone,

Happy December , Cant believe time flies so fast,we're almost in 2012!
So for this month i wanted to try something new(new for me) and i wanted to see if anyone would like to join me.
I'm gonna do daily scalp massages with my oils.
I heard a lot of good things about scalp messages and hairgrowth and i wanna see if daily massages will speed things up.

Mostly i will use Almond oil,because i have most of that oil and i need to get rid of it.
But i will use amla oil aswel a few times a week and will also see if i can get some more Argan as the one i use for my face is almost finished.

I will keep track of it on my blog and do weekly measuring, i will measure my hair tonight after washing because right now i have bunwaves.

So who likes to join me in December Daily Scalp Massage Month?:cheese:

W2
December 1st, 2011, 05:20 AM
Well - at least I've started - but I always scalp-massage with oil on thursdays

Avital88
December 1st, 2011, 05:26 AM
Well - at least I've started - but I always scalp-massage with oil on thursdays

And have you noticed any differences/improvements?

cheetahfast
December 1st, 2011, 05:29 AM
I will, but I can't oil my scalp daily.I'll do it twice a week. Daily scalp massages sound relaxing :)

Avital88
December 1st, 2011, 05:47 AM
I used to it weekly too, but i really want to see if everyday for one month is making a difference,i also heard it helps against shedding

cheetahfast
December 1st, 2011, 06:18 AM
Are you going to be washing it daily too?

I live in an area that leaving oil in for days will not work. Too much pollution and dust outside :(

Amber_Maiden
December 1st, 2011, 06:26 AM
I'll probably do scalp massages- or rather my husband will do them for me :)- but without the oil. I only like to wash my hair once a week.

Avital88
December 1st, 2011, 06:37 AM
Are you going to be washing it daily too?

I live in an area that leaving oil in for days will not work. Too much pollution and dust outside :(

No i only wash twice a week or once every 4 days, but i have to say that this month i only work 3 days/evenings a week so its less of a problem for me to walk around with greasy hair, i also live in Capitals so i understand the dustiness.can be so gross

Avital88
December 1st, 2011, 06:40 AM
I'll probably do scalp massages- or rather my husband will do them for me :)- but without the oil. I only like to wash my hair once a week.

I think without the oil it will also work because its a lot about bloodcirculation.
Good job having your husband doing them for you,thats even better :)

Anywhere
December 1st, 2011, 06:43 AM
Count me in :p

Going to try using my CO/CO (er.. Coconut oil/Castor oil:rolleyes:) mix twice a week, and perhaps a very thin layer of it on non-wash days.

My scalp is super dry anyway so the daily oiling shouldn't be too bad.

ETA: I'm not doubting it will work without oil, but I like the idea of having "massage oil"

Avital88
December 1st, 2011, 07:43 AM
Count me in :p

Going to try using my CO/CO (er.. Coconut oil/Castor oil:rolleyes:) mix twice a week, and perhaps a very thin layer of it on non-wash days.

My scalp is super dry anyway so the daily oiling shouldn't be too bad.

ETA: I'm not doubting it will work without oil, but I like the idea of having "massage oil"

ok thats great, im also only doing a thin layer on non wash days and heavy on wash days, i hope it will help with growth

W2
December 1st, 2011, 08:35 AM
And have you noticed any differences/improvements?

I say always - but just started, when I joined - but have dance-class on thursday, where I sweat a lot and therefor showers - but oils hair before - and massage scalp and stuff

oscarthehamster
December 1st, 2011, 08:39 AM
I would like to join. I will try it for two months. I will be using vegetable oil (canola) and coconut!

Johannah
December 1st, 2011, 08:40 AM
I've done it for about a month, but I didn't notice much difference. But I guess I'm going to start again today.. but maybe not with an oil, not everyday anyway.

PixxieStix
December 1st, 2011, 09:23 AM
Count me in!

I'll be using coconut or jojoba oil, or a mix, maybe a mix of evoo and castor oil beforehand on wash days. :D I get a small head/scalp rub every night before bed from my FH, but think this would be so much fun to do for myself. I suck as measuring, so I'll be doing it based on the length of the roots showing from my last henna. :P

PrairieRose
December 1st, 2011, 09:29 AM
I've been doing scalp massages for a month now, but I can't oil everyday. It's too much for my hair. I have not seen a big difference yet, I think it's too early to tell.

Cjatje
December 1st, 2011, 12:24 PM
I will do it daily, but without oil... I don't want to wash my hair daily and I don't want to go to work with oily/gredy hair

Avital88
December 1st, 2011, 03:34 PM
I would like to join. I will try it for two months. I will be using vegetable oil (canola) and coconut!

wow, two.. great your joining,hope to see results,are u measuring?

Avital88
December 1st, 2011, 03:36 PM
Count me in!

I'll be using coconut or jojoba oil, or a mix, maybe a mix of evoo and castor oil beforehand on wash days. :D I get a small head/scalp rub every night before bed from my FH, but think this would be so much fun to do for myself. I suck as measuring, so I'll be doing it based on the length of the roots showing from my last henna. :P

roots are a great way to measure too!
What a loving SO's do we all have in this thread haha, i think im gonna ask for scalpmassages too instead of hairbrushing:-)

Floodman
December 1st, 2011, 03:44 PM
I am intrigued, but I have the feeling that if I massage my scalp every day I will shed kittens; am I wrong? I mean; it feels like I break of hair every time I touch it :(

Lissandria
December 1st, 2011, 04:12 PM
Im in for daily scalp massages. Adding oil to massages before wash days. I could use some extra growth, I seem to have stalled :sad

Gingerbear
December 1st, 2011, 05:24 PM
Can someone tell me how exactly to do a scalp massage? I feel like when I just massage with my fingers, I may be breaking hairs. Then I discovered if I press a little harder, I can sort of massage the scalp deeply without having my fingers move across the surface of the skin (if that makes sense?!?). Any tips?!?

owlathena
December 1st, 2011, 06:44 PM
I just started doing twice weekly castor/rosemary eo massages a couple months ago. I could up that to 3 or 4 days a week for december. I did it yesterday and thought about doing it again today. I massage with the mixture and then leave it for a couple hours and CO it out. I shed a lot if I leave it on too long (like overnight).

blondie9912
December 3rd, 2011, 10:40 AM
I have some bur with nettle oil my friend's mother recommended- I'm in :)

missdelarocha
December 4th, 2011, 05:03 AM
I wish I could get somebody else to do it for me, I loooove having my hair played with!
I'm getting dozy thinking about it :o.

I'll do this mostly without oil, maybe with my castor/coconut (or avocado) before washing.
I'll try to do it everyday and will measure my hair tomorrow as accurately as I can.

Good luck everybody!!

ETA: Is there a specific amount of time we should do it for or anything?

Tsopana
December 4th, 2011, 05:08 AM
I stopped doing scalp massages because my dermatologist insisted they would make my shedding worse.. She says that when there's too much oil on the hair follicles, it makes them shed the hairstrands because they can't hold them with so much weight on them.

jacqueline101
December 4th, 2011, 08:04 AM
I like to do brown sugar and cheap condish scrub. Can I join in?

missdelarocha
January 7th, 2012, 02:23 AM
How is everybody going with their scalp massages? Have you been consistent?
I've been doing one almost every day, if not then every other day.

cheetahfast
January 7th, 2012, 06:37 AM
How is everybody going with their scalp massages? Have you been consistent?
I've been doing one almost every day, if not then every other day.

I've been good! :)

Everyday, well almost sometimes I skip a day since I sometimes forget.

Henrietta
January 7th, 2012, 07:06 AM
I do not think I can do it daily because this, even without oils, would make my hair greasy after 2 or 3 days. But I do this, or at least I am trying to, before every wash ;)

vatikagirl
January 7th, 2012, 07:12 AM
Count me in. :) As it is I'm a huge fan of scalp massages.

Renate
January 7th, 2012, 07:14 AM
I'm doing daily scalp massages! I dont use oil, though, just massage. I doing intensely before washing my hair, but I'll try a less intense massage before going to bed. I have a feeling massaging too much will make my hair greasy and ruin my plans of stretching washes...

missdelarocha
January 9th, 2012, 05:52 PM
That's okay I forget sometimes too.
As often as you can do it is the aim :).

Stretching washes, argh! I've been trying to do that ever since I joined and my hair is just as greasy as when I started, I need to try no cones, maybe you could try it too?

EtherealDoll
January 10th, 2012, 03:43 AM
I've been doing daily massages for two weeks now. It does wonders for my scalp - it's naturally dry and sometimes even itchy but now it feels so much better :)

inkd
January 10th, 2012, 05:16 PM
@EtherealDoll Same here, scalp-wise, and also faster growth!

I hope everyone will keep at it, so that we can all discover together which methods work best.

bouclée
January 11th, 2012, 06:05 AM
I have been doing daily scalp massages for about three months now. My scalp and my hair feel and look much better now. I shed less too (I'm pregnant too, so it might not be due to scalp massages only). In the beginning, my scalp was greasier, but it seems to have balanced over time so I don't have to wash more often. My hair currently grows about 2 cm per month but I don't know if it's more than before as I only started measuring recently.

I plan to continue massaging daily because I really am under the impression it strongly benefits my hair and scalp. Plus it feels great!

EDIT: I forgot to say I don't massage with oil at the moment. I will probably try with a mix of argan and castor oil in the future to see if it makes a difference.

airmid
January 11th, 2012, 07:29 AM
I've started doing daily scalp massages on the advice of my hairdresser cousin-in-law, to try and control my shedding. I'm going to use rosemary/olive oil once or twice a week... I'm having to wash after just the fourth day because apparently too much oil and my hair is a no-no.
Question: does anyone else shed a lot of hair after they massage? I just shed something like 30-40 hairs from today's massage. But maybe they were due to fall out anyway? Or am I doing it wrong? I was having shedding problems anyway, though they have been getting slightly better since I started to do something about it.

bouclée
January 11th, 2012, 10:12 AM
I also shed a lot during the first weeks. I even considered stopping the scalp massages, but I continued and the excessive shedding eventually stopped. I now shed much less.

inkd
January 12th, 2012, 11:15 PM
I've started doing daily scalp massages on the advice of my hairdresser cousin-in-law, to try and control my shedding. I'm going to use rosemary/olive oil once or twice a week... I'm having to wash after just the fourth day because apparently too much oil and my hair is a no-no.
Question: does anyone else shed a lot of hair after they massage? I just shed something like 30-40 hairs from today's massage. But maybe they were due to fall out anyway? Or am I doing it wrong? I was having shedding problems anyway, though they have been getting slightly better since I started to do something about it.

Well, it could be the way you're massaging. Are you rubbing over the hairs on your head? I've heard many say that it causes shedding. What you want to do is apply pressure and rub in circles, so that your scalp actually moves.

jojo
January 13th, 2012, 12:04 AM
I do kind of scalp massages twice a day but I use my BBB. Ive been doing this since April 2011 and I have noticed an increase in growth and also better quality new growth.

Do I qualify to join?

squirrel83
January 13th, 2012, 01:18 AM
I'm doing scalp massages every other day, using castor oil and (omg, I hope that's the correct word :lol: ) burdock root oil. :D
I started in November, and so far it seems to work. My hair usually grows quite fast, but in December I gained more than an inch, and that's a lot, even for my fast growing hair... :)

missdelarocha
January 13th, 2012, 03:55 AM
squirrel83 Wow, that's great! May I have your growth? :p

bouclée That's almost an inch! I hope you and your baby are going well :].

I just tried a 'moving scalp' massage, it definitely helps with the shedding, thanks for the suggestion inkd :).
I shed a lot too, I'm not sure why, my hair is too fine to lose hair! This actually felt nicer than my usual massage!

jojo I would say you do, any stimulation of the scalp counts I suppose!
Except for hair pulling, I do not condone that :shake:.

airmid
January 13th, 2012, 07:15 AM
I wanna make sure I'm doing it right because I just can't afford to lose any more hair (/sadface)... how do you do a proper gentle scalp massage? As detailed instructions as possible! :) My hair loss is depressing and I'm almost too afraid to scalp massage when I lose so much hair every time.

goldenmoments
January 13th, 2012, 08:15 AM
I wanna make sure I'm doing it right because I just can't afford to lose any more hair (/sadface)... how do you do a proper gentle scalp massage? As detailed instructions as possible! :) My hair loss is depressing and I'm almost too afraid to scalp massage when I lose so much hair every time.

Hello Airmid, here is the technique I use, after some lhc and internet searching of my own.
From my understanding scalp massages are about increasing blood flow to the scalp whilst not damaging the actual hair. I know when I started massaging my hair I would let my hair tangle a bit as I worked my hands around my head..... :rolleyes:
the key to protecting your hair is to use pads of fingers and make contact with your scalp skin and to apply just enough pressure, so that when you make movements with your fingers the actual scalp skin moves in the same direction, not your hair

applying pressure as mentioned above, I start at my hairline around my forehead ( fingers of both hands spread like a hairband) and make circles, clockwise on right side, counterclockwise of left ( this should work blood up toward scalp).

then I pick up my hands and place them about an inch further from my hairline and repeat....until I reach the crown. then I start from the nape and work up toward the crown.

this method allows me to finish with my hair looking presentable and untangled.

I like using rosemary carried by olive oil to increase blood flow. I no longer oil specifically (without essential oils) when I massage however, since this technique allows me to minimize rubbing with hair and oiling usually results in need for shower after two days of massaging and I like to stretch washes a bit further.

The other day I found a lovely concoction on lhc posted by a member (melisande on Re: Has anyone tried scalp massage for at least 6 months?) of essential oils with carrier for scalp massages, I'm sure if you search it will come up

aef231
January 13th, 2012, 08:51 AM
I do mine before I shampoo (usually every second or third day). I like to use a little jojoba oil with just a bit of lavender, rosemary, and patchouli. I rub pretty vigorously, sometimes I will just use my nails. I don't personally notice too much shedding. I'm not really a big measurer, I find that it seems to not grow as much when I measure a lot. Something like a watched pot never boiling, I suppose. Sure does feel nice, though!

Woods Nymph
January 13th, 2012, 09:08 AM
Hmm...I've been thinking about doing just this lately--sans the oil for me because my hair is quite oily as it is.
I'm also quite the shedder; I'd be curious to find out whether or not daily scalp massages reduce that. I lose what seems to be a ton of hair on wash day, but this could be because my hair is dark & my tub is cream-colored.:D
We shall see. Let the experiment begin!

airmid
January 13th, 2012, 03:07 PM
goldenmoments: Thank you!!! My way was much harsher than that, I skipped my massage yesterday because I couldn't bear to lose another, oh, hundred hairs when I massaged... your way sounds much less damaging! I'm going to try it now! I want to use my rosemary-olive oil combo, but I know it'll give me the greasies, so I'll make that a once or twice a week deal with the oil and just do bare scalp the other days of the week. Thanks again!! *massages scalp*
edit: I didn't lose any hair!!!! :D :D :D

Anywhere
January 21st, 2012, 08:09 PM
So after doing this for a while, I haven't noticed any increase in growth.
My shedding has calmed down a lot though so I believe that is contributing to "thicker" hair.

smartblonde21
January 21st, 2012, 08:26 PM
I just started massaging daily, so I'll update if there are signs of faster growth. =)

sfgirl
January 21st, 2012, 10:02 PM
Oh wow. I think my scalp massages form now on are also going to be a lot less damaging. I don't really keep track of them, but I usually do them when I'm watching netflix or something.

inkd
January 22nd, 2012, 01:17 AM
I used to it weekly too, but i really want to see if everyday for one month is making a difference,i also heard it helps against shedding

It has almost doubled my growth rate and decreased my shedding by a LOT. I do it twice daily with no oil.

Bagginslover
January 22nd, 2012, 04:11 AM
I think I might have to try this! Being so new I won't be able to tell if it increases my growth rate, but it shouldn't slow it ;) might help with my headaches too!

*BelievingAgain
January 22nd, 2012, 04:24 AM
I also aim for massaging twice a day - a 'mini' massage in the morning just before I 'nudge' my hair into place, and then a super-relaxing one while I'm sitting in bed at night.

I tend to carry a lot of tension in my neck (without even realising some days) and I find that my scalp massages help SO much with relaxing that tension as well.

I use a scalp elixir from Perfect Potion - http://www.perfectpotion.com.au/Online-Shop/Products/hair-and-scalp-elixir.aspx?ProductCategoryId=107418

My hair is so short at the moment, so I just use a pipette to place a couple of drops of oil in my palm and then I rub that into my hands, then massage. That way I don't end up with too much oil build-up and can still stretch out for a couple of days before shampooing.

I'm actually off to do this right now, its bedtime in Oz :sleep:
Jessica

smartblonde21
January 22nd, 2012, 07:53 PM
I just started massaging daily, so I'll update if there are signs of faster growth. =)

What I meant to say is that I have just started a different way of massaging. I used to just glide my fingers across my scalp in a circular motion, but I don't think it is actually getting the blood to my scalp. However, the old way was increasing the volume and thickness of my hair. Just decided to change it up a little and massage the scalp so that the skin itself moves to see if it makes a diff.

Ligeia_13
January 23rd, 2012, 11:16 AM
After reading this thread I'm going to start daily scalp massages. It can't hurt and just maybe I'll get more growth :)

MaryMarx
January 23rd, 2012, 11:30 AM
Just wanna ask the people scalp massaging every day, will your hair get greasy?

Mine gets... unbearable. I can only massage at washday, and I don't even use any oil.
Anyone else with that problem?

inkd
January 23rd, 2012, 03:15 PM
Just wanna ask the people scalp massaging every day, will your hair get greasy?

Mine gets... unbearable. I can only massage at washday, and I don't even use any oil.
Anyone else with that problem?

Mine was like that the first few days, but my scalp eventually balanced out. If you choose to take full advantage of the extra greasiness: if you have a boar bristle brush (BBB), it can be a very good thing. I don't think any store-bought product can condition your hair quite as well as your natural sebum, my hair health has improved dramatically since doing this. Immediately after your scalp massage, detangle your hair with a wide-toothed comb, and then use the BBB to work the natural oils through your hair and down to your ends. This will moisturize your length and reduce splits.

Madora
January 23rd, 2012, 03:20 PM
@MaryMarx...

Never had any problems with the greasies when massaging..but I always brush with a bbb before I begin the process.

Kitsu
January 23rd, 2012, 04:24 PM
oh lol I've been doing it wrong! I never moved my scalp I just sort of gave myself "twingles" which was lovely but I dont know if it will help with growth.

How long should I aim to massage for? After going over the whole head twice with about five rotations in each area I feel that is enough. Is it though or should I go off time?

Madora
January 23rd, 2012, 04:27 PM
oh lol I've been doing it wrong! I never moved my scalp I just sort of gave myself "twingles" which was lovely but I dont know if it will help with growth.

How long should I aim to massage for? After going over the whole head twice with about five rotations in each area I feel that is enough. Is it though or should I go off time?

Yes, you try and move the scalp skin a little to let the blood get to the follicles (which is why it is more beneficial if you massage with your head in the downward position).

How much you massage is up to you. Do as little or as much as is comfortable.

missdelarocha
January 26th, 2012, 12:07 AM
You've all made me feel like massaging my scalp right now!

So relaxing...

I'm glad everybody is enjoying the extra bit of pampering :).

MaryMarx
January 26th, 2012, 03:18 AM
Mine was like that the first few days, but my scalp eventually balanced out. If you choose to take full advantage of the extra greasiness: if you have a boar bristle brush (BBB), it can be a very good thing. I don't think any store-bought product can condition your hair quite as well as your natural sebum, my hair health has improved dramatically since doing this. Immediately after your scalp massage, detangle your hair with a wide-toothed comb, and then use the BBB to work the natural oils through your hair and down to your ends. This will moisturize your length and reduce splits.

Okay, I hope mine will settle soon too. When I brush it out with the BBB it doesn't look that bad, but it doesn't look freshly washed either... :p
But then I know I will continue doing it, thank you. :)

dragaica
March 5th, 2012, 09:21 AM
I just did it - not regularly - but usually when I bath.
I just made a scalp massage with sidr- instead of just washing - it's like a scalp scrub - and I like it a lot - more like a clarifying natural shampoo.
and 1/week I do amla oil massage - does work, less shading.

bouclée
March 21st, 2012, 11:57 AM
Hi fellow scalp massagers :)

I wanted to share a recent experiment with scalp massage.

Well, I used to massage my scalp daily during several months and my hair and scalp condition improved greatly. I started to shed less too.
I recently moved abroad and I had so many things to do that I couldn't find time for my daily scalp massage any more. Quickly, my hair started to be less shiny, less manageable, and my scalp got oily much more quickly. I can't say anything about shedding though, because I am pregnant and I virtually don't shed anymore (maybe 1 or 2 hair a day) since the beginning of the second trimester.
I started to massage again regularly about a week ago or so and I can already see the difference! So, for me, scalp massage definitively is the greatest thing I can do to improve my hair condition and to keep healthy hair.
Yay to scalp massage!:cheese:

Ligeia_13
March 21st, 2012, 12:55 PM
Well, I used to massage my scalp daily during several months and my hair and scalp condition improved greatly. I started to shed less too.

Aha! Could this possibly be the reason why I've been shedding so little lately? I haven't even been massaging that long, only a few weeks.

EmilyOtter
March 24th, 2012, 02:04 AM
I'm joining a little on the late side, but I am in! This sounds like a resolution I can stick to! :D

EmilyOtter
March 24th, 2012, 02:09 AM
Oh, and can I ask you guys a question? Where do you generally get your oils--jojoba, etc--? (sorry, newbie!)

Ki
March 24th, 2012, 03:25 AM
I don't have time to read this thread at the moment, but this is something I've been wanting to try! I'm not sure if I'll use oils though as I'd be worried about getting my scalp too oily. I've got a book on Indian head massage and will definitely try some of the techniques in that and look at this thread later...

Zydrate
March 24th, 2012, 03:44 AM
I'm doing my scalp massages every day for about 10 min and I'm only using castor oil on wash days. I'm doing this for two weeks so it's too early to see any improvements I think.

Avital88
March 24th, 2012, 03:56 AM
wow i totally forgot about this thread, i did it daily for about 2 weeks,then my camera broke(and i go by picturemeasurements)
I still believe hair grows better with regular scalpmassages but i didnt do i long enough to see a real difference plus its winter and i never exactly measured my winter hairgrowth:s
How is everyone doing?

sashinka22
March 24th, 2012, 08:13 PM
i'm starting to do it, every four days with castor and rosemary oil prior to wash and everyday a few minutes at night, i purchased stuff like this:

http://image.ec21.com/image/miraclear/oimg_GC02856295_CA02856358/Hair_Air_Pillow_Scalp_Massager_.jpg

and this:

http://images.madeinchina.com/p/019/3334019_1/Scalp-Head-Massage-Relax-Glove-Hair-Brush-100pcs_3334019_1.bak.jpg

to try to make it easier and effective, it hasn't arrived yet so i'll update. it looks really cool :D

gthlvrmx
July 13th, 2012, 09:57 PM
is it too late to join the party? :p

i just started again and im going to do it every day, and i know i will every day, i dont usually say ill do things and dont do it later on. ill scalp massage randomly more times when i get bored or feeling stressed, its relaxing :) but im making it as part of my habit now, making sure i do it often to get used to it. i remember doing it before last year and i did notice some small growth but i didnt do it long enough to check. i dont think ill be up for measuring my growth, i know thats not really contributing to everyone, but if it does work for growth, it'll show by the end of the year each year in how much hair i grew. if it doesn't, well there.
so :) guess ill just revive this thread :cool:

oh and i cant use oils, no oils. not a good mix with my hair.

Kaelee
July 13th, 2012, 10:08 PM
I just picked this guy up at Sally's today:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a133/Danmara/004-4.jpg

It has a few seams, but the material is soft enough that they don't really worry me (and if I'm feeling OCD I can always file them). easy to use and feels good! IDK about growth but we'll see!

For those who have experienced accelerated growth with scalp massage, did it last? I have heard of people getting accelerated growth that slowed way down after the first little bit.

kam.pearson
July 14th, 2012, 07:01 PM

It has a few seams, but the material is soft enough that they don't really worry me (and if I'm feeling OCD I can always file them). easy to use and feels good! IDK about growth but we'll see!

For those who have experienced accelerated growth with scalp massage, did it last? I have heard of people getting accelerated growth that slowed way down after the first little bit.

Do you like this little brush? I almost got one the other day while I was at sallys to pick up my tangle teaser to use when I condition my hair but I ended up putting it back on the shelf and just getting the tt instead.

MrsGuther
July 14th, 2012, 07:02 PM
I just did a scalp massage. So relaxing! :)

Kaelee
July 14th, 2012, 10:29 PM
Do you like this little brush? I almost got one the other day while I was at sallys to pick up my tangle teaser to use when I condition my hair but I ended up putting it back on the shelf and just getting the tt instead.

Yes I do! It makes a great gentle detangler too I found out! :D

Check yours over before you buy though, some have more, and sharper, seams than others.

My local Sally's doesn't carry TTs! *has a sad* :(

kam.pearson
July 14th, 2012, 11:56 PM
Yes I do! It makes a great gentle detangler too I found out! :D

Check yours over before you buy though, some have more, and sharper, seams than others.

My local Sally's doesn't carry TTs! *has a sad* :(

Oh ok! Thanks for the tip! Mine TT is actually the off brand one, but it was on sale, and the exact same thing so I got it. I've only used it once though because I've only been combing in the shower with conditioner and I'm too scared to use it then, but it feels so good! I've always liked a good brushing! They were out of the handheld TTs but they did have the authentic larger ones there. Have you asked at your Sally's because mine was in a basket on the very bottom and I wouldn't have seen it had I not asked.

millyaulait
July 15th, 2012, 04:47 AM
I am joining in on the scalp massage today!

It's really cold here right now so I figure this might be a good way to balance out slow growth.

Is once a day enough? Thanks :)

velvetvenus
July 15th, 2012, 05:17 AM
I'm jumping in! I always forget to scalp massage but a friend just gave me some peppermint oil so I thought I could add a drop or so to some EVOO and get going...I shall try and do it every evening, I'm quite tempted to get one of these scalp massage toys now too :)

blaketob
July 15th, 2012, 06:54 AM
i'm going to sally's later to pick up a few things.. one of these toys are officially on my list :p

swearnsue
July 15th, 2012, 08:21 AM
I've been doing scalp massages for a year and I don't know if it helps with growth or not but I do it because at least I feel like I'm DOING something instead of just waiting patiently for my hair to grow. I think it helps with overall scalp health, how could it not?

Kaelee
July 15th, 2012, 08:25 PM
Oh ok! Thanks for the tip! Mine TT is actually the off brand one, but it was on sale, and the exact same thing so I got it. I've only used it once though because I've only been combing in the shower with conditioner and I'm too scared to use it then, but it feels so good! I've always liked a good brushing! They were out of the handheld TTs but they did have the authentic larger ones there. Have you asked at your Sally's because mine was in a basket on the very bottom and I wouldn't have seen it had I not asked.

I didn't try asking, maybe I should!

I checked out an off brand TT there and it was awful. So sharp and rough. :( It was painful on my hand, I can't imagine what it would be like on my scalp!

The massager I got IS a little stiffer than I would prefer, but I still love it though. Just have to be gentle. :)

hairhair
July 15th, 2012, 11:20 PM
I don't like to BBB too much as I tend to shed (usually that's about the only time I shed though I lost about 20 hairs randomly this morning on my wide toothed comb!)

Anyway, I did a scalp massage last night, wide tooth combed, turned hair/head upside down, combed about 1 minute, massaged with fingers about 2 minutes, then combed (still upside down) about 1 minute.

That was followed by this morning's huge shed! Since I don't usually comb my hair from underneath I'm hoping it just loosened some that were already doing to come out. If it keeps up like this I'll stop massaging but I think it's supposed to reduce shedding?

silverthread
July 27th, 2012, 05:28 AM
I'm joining this thread. I'm going to try Snowy's technique, using only my fingers to massage daily, and pulling sebum through my hair. As far as the washing/conditioning, I'm going to try to keep it down to every 3 or 4 days, switching up the method every time just to keep my hair guessing. (Every time I commit to one method, my hair looks great for one or two washings then looks like caca again.) I won't be putting oil on my scalp, because it makes me shed, but I may put it on the ends if my hair needs it.

silverthread
July 27th, 2012, 05:31 AM
In case anyone wants to see Snowy's Hair Massage Technique, here's the link:
http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=15976

EndlessSunshine
July 27th, 2012, 05:52 AM
I was thinking about getting a scalp massager thingy. Also I have been experiencing an itchy scalp so I have been oiling it with grapeseed oil for about an hour before I co wash. Maybe add a bit of a massage as well. Not flaky, no real build up just itchy. I scratch with out even realizing! I noticed I do this on my legs as well so I am CO washing my whole body. Only started this a week ago but my skin is softer. I should get a body brush! Scalp massage, body brushing, and then a nice warm shower. I feel relaxed just thinking about it. My scalp is sore also. probably all this dry weather, after a nice oil massage and a co wash probably should put some aloe on. Now I am just thinking aloud....lol

silverthread
July 27th, 2012, 06:34 AM
I was thinking about getting a scalp massager thingy. Also I have been experiencing an itchy scalp so I have been oiling it with grapeseed oil for about an hour before I co wash. Maybe add a bit of a massage as well. Not flaky, no real build up just itchy. I scratch with out even realizing! I noticed I do this on my legs as well so I am CO washing my whole body. Only started this a week ago but my skin is softer. I should get a body brush! Scalp massage, body brushing, and then a nice warm shower. I feel relaxed just thinking about it. My scalp is sore also. probably all this dry weather, after a nice oil massage and a co wash probably should put some aloe on. Now I am just thinking aloud....lol

Sounds blissful! I'm getting myself a body brush today :eyebrows:

EndlessSunshine
July 27th, 2012, 10:10 AM
Just massaged some grapeseed oil into my scalp and used my BBB then put it in braids for the day. Felt good.

Dang3rousB3auty
July 27th, 2012, 07:40 PM

I have that brush thingy too but in blue! I think it feels really nice on your head. I also have the head tingler thing which feels pretty awesome too especially if you get someone else to do it for you. I really enjoy the scalp massages because I can get some bad headaches sometimes and it this seems to help it feel a bit better. Also I usually incorporate a neck massage into it as well. I usually massage without oil, but occasionally I will use my weleda hair oil.

I have found that it helps my hair grow faster, of course I also think my hair has always grown pretty fast but I have never actually measured my growth before.

gthlvrmx
July 27th, 2012, 08:20 PM
My mom mentioned a vibrating scalp massager she once had but she lost it, has anyone had any experiences with them? I want to buy a scalp massager and i dont know which one to get.

im going off of memory and im not sure if thats what she said, do those even exist? XD

silverthread
August 4th, 2012, 04:46 AM
http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r490/dimestorebeauty/PortRichey-20120804-00102.jpg

Here is 8 days of Snowymoon's scalp massage, WO and finger combing only. My hair feels thicker, and balanced moisture-wize. I had to cut back on the lemon/white vinegar rinse, though, because it was making the ends velcro-y.

silverthread
August 4th, 2012, 04:48 AM
http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r490/dimestorebeauty/PortRichey-20120804-00102.jpg

Don't know why my first attempt at this post didn't take, so here it is again. This is 8 days of Snowymoon's scalp massage, WO and finger-combing only.

ETA: Oops. I guess it DID take. Sorry.