PDA

View Full Version : funniest/strangest hair comments!

jojo
November 30th, 2011, 06:26 PM
I nipped out to the shop today and had my hair down, freshly washed, dried and not combed. I only live 5 doors down from the shop! When i was there I saw an old friend who told me my hair reminded her of a cocker spaniel's ear! ha ha I thought it was hilarious, I am taking it was a compliment:D

Whats the funniest/strangest hair comment you ever received?

shannonsun
November 30th, 2011, 06:53 PM
You know what though? Your hair DOES remind me of a cocker spaniel's ear!!! So shiny and wavy and soft-looking.

I had a cocker spaniel growing up, and she had the most gorgeous waves and curls that grew longer on her head and ears. I always begged my parents to make sure they didn't cut it off the few times she went to a groomer. It looked like she had people hair!

I don't know where this is in the realm of compliment/non-compliment, but I take a weekly class with two other women, and one asks me every time if I've changed my hair color from the week before. Every time. "But it's different this week!!" News to me...:ponder:

uptosomeone
November 30th, 2011, 07:22 PM
I haven't gotten any weird comments, but would just like to say that the cocker spaniel ear comment was definitely a compliment. Do a google search, you'll see! :p

jojo
November 30th, 2011, 07:23 PM
LOL! why thank you, I love cockers did have one a few years back, i got told then off another friend i looked just like my dog LOL! guess I must do!

Hair changing colour is a good one it means your hair is so shiny, the different lights are reflecting! thats a brilliant compliment!

jojo
November 30th, 2011, 07:24 PM
I haven't gotten any weird comments, but would just like to say that the cocker spaniel ear comment was definitely a compliment. Do a google search, you'll see! :p

Yeah i think so, cockers have lovely silky ears probably a 2a/b yeah i can take that!:D

uptosomeone
November 30th, 2011, 07:28 PM
Yeah i think so, cockers have lovely silky ears probably a 2a/b yeah i can take that!:D
Only at LHC is hair typing a dog's ears perfectly normal and understood. ;)

Amber_Maiden
November 30th, 2011, 07:36 PM
Only at LHC is hair typing a dog's ears perfectly normal and understood. ;)

haha! Exactly what i was thinking! :D

Seeshami
November 30th, 2011, 07:42 PM
When people comment about the color I tell them it's a "ruse" that I am actually a blond. For some odd reason they think I mean I am wearing a wig.

jojo
November 30th, 2011, 07:48 PM
Only at LHC is hair typing a dog's ears perfectly normal and understood. ;) ha ha! we should have a thread, what kind of dog would you be for your type of hair!

haha! Exactly what i was thinking! :D
I often type different dogs hair LOL! my little staffy is a 1a/m/c!

When people comment about the color I tell them it's a "ruse" that I am actually a blond. For some odd reason they think I mean I am wearing a wig.
thats the thing with virgin colour, its so unique and people aren't used to seeing it. My natural colour is dark blonde with copper and I either got called blonde (in summer) brown (in winter) and red in the sun....I have seasonal hair! your hair btw is a gorgeous colour, you don't get colour like that from a bottle!

holothuroidea
November 30th, 2011, 08:32 PM
My mother in law insists every time I see her that my hair has been cut and she is convinced that my very ashy hair is red or "has red in it."

Other than that I don't get any comments, but my hair isn't very long yet.

jacqueline101
November 30th, 2011, 08:35 PM
Its strange enough alright but I guess a compliment.

Seeshami
November 30th, 2011, 08:37 PM
thats the thing with virgin colour, its so unique and people aren't used to seeing it. My natural colour is dark blonde with copper and I either got called blonde (in summer) brown (in winter) and red in the sun....I have seasonal hair! your hair btw is a gorgeous colour, you don't get colour like that from a bottle!

Nope my darling that color is from henna, henna, henna, color remover, dye, color remover, dye, dye, indigo, katam, indigo, katam, katam or something like that, some of this is months between hair color modification some is weeks. I have an inch of natural color and right now I am thinking up my next slightly logical copper tone corrector. I may just give up. :D I'm naturally this wonderfully blah ash blond that I don't think I will see again unless I learn patience.

Diamond.Eyes
November 30th, 2011, 08:50 PM
I get a lot of weird hair comments...but the strangest "compliment" was from a guy in my one of my college classes. He told me that my hair was the same color as "very oxygenated blood", and then asked if he could touch it :disgust:! I usually smile and appreciate comments about my hair from people, but I got up and moved to a different seat ASAP. He seemed to enjoy the fact that my hair reminded him of blood. So creepy... :(

Yozhik
November 30th, 2011, 09:36 PM
I'd definitely take the spaniel's ear comment as a compliment!

And going along with the dog theme, once one of my high school acquaintances told me I looked like a chow chow. My hair was rather bushy back then, but still. :?

I am a wavy, but used to brush my hair very hard back then, and at shorter lengths and with a blunt hemline, it gets rather pyramid shaped. :shrug:

candycandace
November 30th, 2011, 09:38 PM
I get a lot of weird hair comments...but the strangest "compliment" was from a guy in my one of my college classes. He told me that my hair was the same color as "very oxygenated blood", and then asked if he could touch it :disgust:! I usually smile and appreciate comments about my hair from people, but I got up and moved to a different seat ASAP. He seemed to enjoy the fact that my hair reminded him of blood. So creepy... :(
Ummmm, wow. That is super disgusting. Blood-****** anyone? :confused:

piffyanne
December 1st, 2011, 01:13 AM

There's a verse in Song of Solomon in which her hair is described as resembling "goats descending a mountain." I always thought that was the clunkiest thing I'd ever heard (goats? REALLY?) until someone explained it to me--think of the rippling of the backs of a vast herd of goats, all traveling in basically the same direction, but at different paces, and imagine the lovely flowing texture that must create. What a glory to have hair like that! Your hair reminds me of the quote. :)

My own hair color's ruse is far too clever even for myself. :crazyq: If someone can enlighten me as to the color my hair IS, I'll be eternally grateful. I didn't know at the DMV whether to put blonde (I was when I was younger) or brunette (I don't think I'm that yet!) on my driver's license (I can't remember which I ultimately chose. Uh-oh!).

I'm a mix between mousy and dishwater blonde, unless sun hits my hair, then it has a fiery copper sheen (I like the copper part. Can I start calling myself an "occasional redhead" and be done with it?). My boyfriend suggested "bronze," which is close, I guess. :confused:

As for the forum's topic, I always find people telling me, with the air of making a huge and novel discovery, that I have long hair, to be incredibly funny. Maybe that's just me?

jojo
December 1st, 2011, 03:58 AM
My mother in law insists every time I see her that my hair has been cut and she is convinced that my very ashy hair is red or "has red in it."

Other than that I don't get any comments, but my hair isn't very long yet.
I suppose my hair has a bit of an ash colour going on in it, your hair colour sounds very similar to mine. I suppose when the sun hits it, it gives the red hues time to dance! its such a unique colour and quite pretty.

Nope my darling that color is from henna, henna, henna, color remover, dye, color remover, dye, dye, indigo, katam, indigo, katam, katam or something like that, some of this is months between hair color modification some is weeks. I have an inch of natural color and right now I am thinking up my next slightly logical copper tone corrector. I may just give up. :D I'm naturally this wonderfully blah ash blond that I don't think I will see again unless I learn patience.
no way? wow your hair looks like you was born with it. I am normally very good at spotting a henna head, ya got me! its lovely and suits you well and really it is natural in a way:D as henna is very natural:D

weird that! your hair reminds me of a fire and I know yours is natural!

I'd definitely take the spaniel's ear comment as a compliment!

And going along with the dog theme, once one of my high school acquaintances told me I looked like a chow chow. My hair was rather bushy back then, but still. :?

I am a wavy, but used to brush my hair very hard back then, and at shorter lengths and with a blunt hemline, it gets rather pyramid shaped. :shrug:

I love chow chow's my friend has one called Teddy he's gorgeous and I am with you on the pyramid shape hair mine looks like that with all length shoulder length too; its my crystal tips look!!!

Seeshami
December 1st, 2011, 10:55 AM
no way? wow your hair looks like you was born with it. I am normally very good at spotting a henna head, ya got me! its lovely and suits you well and really it is natural in a way:D as henna is very natural:D

The naughty mess has always wanted to be red. When I do go red people love it and no one ever believes me that I changed it. But low and behold;
The blah ash blond, I say blah because it bores me. I was born with it so of course it does. I know other people love and strive for this color so please don't be mad I call it blah.:cheese:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v190/BrokenCagedBird/d29a8fa9.jpg

Panth
December 1st, 2011, 10:58 AM
Strange comments?

Well, the first time I did a french plait that started from my hairline, DBF said I looked like an armadillo...

ArienEllariel
December 17th, 2011, 12:19 PM
At church the other day someone asked what time I get up to do my hair in the morning. I had my hair in heidi braids (which quite honestly takes maybe 5-10min. tops to do). I found it really funny and didn't really know how to respond.

Hollyfire3
December 17th, 2011, 01:51 PM
I have had people tell me my hair looks very "natural" (well yeah, i dont heat style, and my hair is thick and curly so i dont know what you consider natural?) I took that as a complement. I have also had people say my hair isn't thick just frizzy (well, hello, insecure much?) The girl who said it had never even been close enough to touch my hair, had never seen it in a ponytail, braid or style really and she flat irons her hair until it is fried completly. So, that kinda hurt because i kept thinking, maybe she is right, maybe my hair is thin and i'm foolinf myself. But then i went home, measured my ponytail and felt much better. :)

Dragon Faery
December 17th, 2011, 07:03 PM
My husband says strange things a lot, but figures I can't recall any offhand. *subscribes*

edit: One of my college professors saw me walking with a cane (due to back problems), and said, "You should just dye your hair gray and be done with it!"

She was a fun professor, and I really didn't mind. But it has amused me ever since.

rena
December 17th, 2011, 07:05 PM
My friend once told me my hair made me look like a ram :\.

Malibu Barbie
December 17th, 2011, 07:31 PM
A women told me, I had lady godiva's hair.

Xandergrammy
December 17th, 2011, 08:34 PM
My favorite comment so far was from one of the men I work with. He had never seen my hair down before, and when he walked in to my office on wash day (hair was down), he promptly said "Where the @&#) did you get all that hair?!?!?!" :rollin:

chelshireling
December 17th, 2011, 08:51 PM

Thats a great compliment! It might be creepy from a stranger but I think it makes it sounds very sexy and vampiric. Your color is beautiful, btw.

The weirdest compliment I ever got was when I was wearing it loose with little fairy braids at the top and some woman insisted it was a wig or the braids were clip ins- she couldn't believe I did it myself, that was a compliment in a way.

chelshireling
December 17th, 2011, 08:52 PM
Oh! and I just remembered the worst non-compliment I got was a guy saying it looked like a dead cat. :(

Ceisdein
December 18th, 2011, 03:02 AM
I've been told that in high humidity I look like an Ewok that's been struck by lightening. I had to spend a while pondering that. Fluffy? Fluffy but cute? Fluffy, cute and short? He could have said a Wookiee hit by lightening. Finally I just decided, okay, we're gonna file that away in the compliment category and let it slide. The only other funny conversation about my hair I can remember was one with one of the hair straightener ladies in a mall kiosk. This chicky screamed "I can fix that!" at me, and I was feeling feisty so the conversation went like this:

I can fix that!
Fix what?
Your hair. I can straighten it for you.
No point. It's already straight.
Oh, this isn't your natural hair?
Yes, it's naturally straight.
You curled it?
No, I never curl it.
But it's curly.
No, it's straight.
Ok, it's naturally straight but it's curly now.
No, it's straight.
*silence as we stare at each other*
Your hair is curly.
Straight.
Curly.
Straight.
Miss, my hair is straight.
No, your hair is lank and sad. My hair is straight.
*silence*
Do you want me to curl it for you?
No. I don't like curly hair.

Then I just sort of wandered off while she stood there looking baffled. I had fun plus there was the added benefit that she remembers me now and never tries to mess with my hair.

duchesswannabe
December 18th, 2011, 03:24 AM
My hair was maybe slightly below shoulder length around 15 years ago. It would appear closer to the head above the ears and swoop out a little on the sides. That's just the way it would fall in--I was most likely getting it thinned; I can't really remember. My husband, who I was dating at the time, called me "Bell Head." I told that to my boss, who had complimented my hair one day, and she just shook her head.

Mayflower
December 18th, 2011, 05:46 AM
My grandpa told me that if my hair gets any longer, I could wrap it around myself and have a burka.
Oh and recently I was going out and this dude came up to me and said I looked just like Snow White (I'm quite pale, have dark hair and was wearing this berryred lipstick). I really liked that comment though, I've never been called a Disney princess before haha.

Nae
December 18th, 2011, 08:22 AM
I've been told that in high humidity I look like an Ewok that's been struck by lightening. I had to spend a while pondering that. Fluffy? Fluffy but cute? Fluffy, cute and short? He could have said a Wookiee hit by lightening. Finally I just decided, okay, we're gonna file that away in the compliment category and let it slide. The only other funny conversation about my hair I can remember was one with one of the hair straightener ladies in a mall kiosk. This chicky screamed "I can fix that!" at me, and I was feeling feisty so the conversation went like this:

I can fix that!
Fix what?
You curled it?
No, I never curl it.
But it's curly.
No, it's straight.
No, it's straight.
Your hair is curly.
Straight.
Curly.
Straight.
*silence*

Then I just sort of wandered off while she stood there looking baffled. I had fun plus there was the added benefit that she remembers me now and never tries to mess with my hair.

This is pretty awesome! What fun! :D

teal
December 18th, 2011, 12:00 PM
I can fix that!
Fix what?
You curled it?
No, I never curl it.
But it's curly.
No, it's straight.
No, it's straight.
Your hair is curly.
Straight.
Curly.
Straight.
*silence*

:spitting: Haaaa!

Quetiepi
December 18th, 2011, 02:06 PM
I can fix that!
Fix what?
You curled it?
No, I never curl it.
But it's curly.
No, it's straight.
No, it's straight.
Your hair is curly.
Straight.
Curly.
Straight.
*silence*

This reminds me of the Who's on First comedy routine. Don't you love it when people feed you straight lines?

Like, how long have you been growing your hair, and receiving a blank look when you tell them "All my life".

Egana
December 18th, 2011, 02:31 PM
I've had people tell me it looks like a lion's mane (compliment), and that I look like a poodle (not a compliment). Oh well...

My dad, who like short hair on women, ALWAYS asks me when I'm gonna cut off ALL THAT HAIR?!? I just smile, give him a kiss on the cheek, and shake it out even bigger. *grin*

lillikins
December 18th, 2011, 02:44 PM
I was at the mall one time and this girl who was selling flat irons and styling tools stopped me and asked if she could use some of her stuff on my hair and do a demonstration sort of thing. My hair's pretty healthy and I didn't think a little bit of heat would damage it too much (she was just gonna use a few streaks, not all of my hair), so I let her do it. It was pretty cool

Nannanej
December 18th, 2011, 03:29 PM
I was buying a sandwich and the guy making it randomly said "I like your.. uh.. is it called a braid? I like it, it's tight!" ... :b

Ceisdein
December 18th, 2011, 04:34 PM
I can fix that!
Like, how long have you been growing your hair, and receiving a blank look when you tell them "All my life".
O.o

"All my life. Well, except for a brief time in university. I was just sooo busy with classes and homework and parties and work... I didn't have let my hair grow too, so I just put a stop to it. Mostly by removing cheese from my diet and giving it a firm talking to once a week. 'Listen here Hair, no growing. Hear me? I don't have time for your growing, growing, growing thing right now. You can grow again after finals.' It generally listens, though I think it snuck a fourth of an inch in there somewhere. Cheeky, disobedient, hair." :D

Hollyfire3
December 18th, 2011, 04:39 PM
I've had people tell me it looks like a lion's mane (compliment), and that I look like a poodle (not a compliment). Oh well...

My dad, who like short hair on women, ALWAYS asks me when I'm gonna cut off ALL THAT HAIR?!? I just smile, give him a kiss on the cheek, and shake it out even bigger. *grin*

I've been told my hair looks like a lions mane and also have been told it looks like i stuck my hand in an outlet (yeah, i love my family!) Luckily, most people in my family love my thick and full hair, but i get the occasional, what are you gonna do with it? Remarks at times.

Hollyfire3
December 18th, 2011, 04:43 PM

I can fix that!
Fix what?
You curled it?
No, I never curl it.
But it's curly.
No, it's straight.
No, it's straight.
Your hair is curly.
Straight.
Curly.
Straight.
*silence*

My hair looks like that in high humidty, btw, what did your hair look like when this lady was sayign all this? I'm assumign it was curly...

Ceisdein
December 18th, 2011, 05:10 PM
My hair looks like that in high humidty, btw, what did your hair look like when this lady was sayign all this? I'm assumign it was curly...
Yep, curly. Very curly.

To be fair, I usually don't mind the hair straightener people. Heck I own a (rarely used) straight iron. But she screamed the "I can fix that!" bit over 100 people's heads, like she had just spied a sad, broken, toy in with the good stuff. That's just obnoxious: I had to mess with her.

Hollyfire3
December 18th, 2011, 05:14 PM
Yep, curly. Very curly.

To be fair, I usually don't mind the hair straightener people. Heck I own a (rarely used) straight iron. But she screamed the "I can fix that!" bit over 100 people's heads, like she had just spied a sad, broken, toy in with the good stuff. That's just obnoxious: I had to mess with her.

Wow, yeah i agree. I do not understand why sooo many people think curly hair is broken. I would bet if the person who thinks they need the flat iron stopped with the flat iron, their hair would be much happier. I used to be OCD about flat ironing my hair because of the poofy thickness and frizz i get, sadly, my mane became a tapering, damaged mess over the course of 3 yrs. I am just now stopping heat styling and am soo sad my hair looks short because the waves eat length. But i know it is better in the long run, when i have thick, healthy WL or longer waves that everyone will want, (i have always wanted long hair, i'm not bragging, just dreaming) :D

Callque
December 24th, 2011, 07:28 AM
There was this girl that I used to go to school with who came up and told me one day that her and one of her friends really liked my hair, so they came up with the story that I was having an intimate moment with a man when he accidentally rolled me into a fireplace and I burnt off all of my hair. :confused: Then my hair grew back, and they believe that is why it looks like silky, shiny, baby hair.

......... Thanks for the hair compliment? :p Hahaha!

At least you weren't compared to a baby. ;)

kyle_f
July 17th, 2014, 10:24 PM
This is an old thread but this fits best here I think.

Felt like wearing my had down today and went to work with it like that, which is something I very rarely do (almost always tied back in a ponytail). While I got a lot of flack for my hair while I was growing it out, these days my coworkers generally ignore it, which doesn't bother me since it's not like people were commenting on it went I kept short or buzzed. But today one of them told my my hair looked like Annie from the TV show Community. I didn't respond but at first I was offended at being compared to a girly girl type character, especially as a guy who is not really feminine outside of the hair (which I have never really thought of as feminine in general). Once I got to thinking though I realized that 1- he wasn't wrong and since cutting out my layers it did look like Alison Brie and 2- she has some really nice hair! http://media.portable.tv/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/community-nbc-portable-alison-brie-annie.pngSo in the end I guess it was a compliment though he probably didn't mean it that way.

Becs
July 18th, 2014, 12:14 AM
I was in a jewelry store once and the lady who owned the store said "Wow, can I cut off your braids and sell them??" I know she was kidding, but it was still a really strange comment. I guess it was a compliment because I guess it means she thought they were pretty, but it still made me feel kinda weird

Rosetta
July 18th, 2014, 02:22 AM
Wow, yeah i agree. I do not understand why sooo many people think curly hair is broken.
Totally agree, but it must be (at least partly) a cultural thing; as at least here where I am (Northern Europe), curly hair is very much admired, and more often than not *straight* hair is somehow seen as "broken" or faulty, in that it must be curled to look good... I was brought up to feel that way (about my straight hair), and it took long for me to accept my hair hair and stop curling and perming it... Sigh.

Wolfie
July 18th, 2014, 10:28 AM
Haha so many of these are beautifully quirky! I have a few weird comments as well:

Once I had my hair down and a friend of mine walked over to play with it (it had braid waves from the previous night) and she sqeauled "Wow its like a horse's mane and tail!!!" And continued to pet and play with it.

Another time I had my hair in a simple bun for a couple of weeks so no one in my homeroom had seen my hair (it was the beginning of freshman year ) and I was getting a headache so I let my hair down and brushed it
I was around some male friends so they were a little shocked but didn't say much. But when I went to go use the restroom a girl who had never spoken to me before yelled out "DAWN!!! YOUR HAIR! YOUR LIKE AN INDIAN RAPUNZEL!"

And the final one was when. I was brushing my hair after school and a 6ft'2 guy walks up to me and gently grabbed my hair and began whispering to himself "So soft... So shiny.." and finally looked up at me (mind you was eternally freaking out) "Your hair is so beautiful, like the silk that is spun by silk worms. I like the color. Like mahogany. Kay see ya!" That was the weirdest thing ever!

Wolfie
July 18th, 2014, 10:30 AM
I've also been asked if I'm wearing extentions but that's not as interesting.

Entangled
July 21st, 2014, 08:55 AM
I had just washed my hair and my baby brother came up to me and started playing with it. He told me it looked like worms, and thought longish wet hair was just the funniest thing. It was adorable!

GrowingOut
July 21st, 2014, 09:07 AM
I had someone chase me around a parking lot so they could play with my hair when they noticed I was going to put it back up. (It was one of my friends and we were playing, not a stranger!)

HaMalka
July 21st, 2014, 10:14 AM
One time a family member asked me if my hair was long enough to work as clothing. I always find it funny when people say my hair is like Rapunzel's. My hair is not long enough to be used as a ladder nor is it short like Rapunzel's hair is after the witch cut it off.

I think that the funniest hair comment I ever got was when someone told me that I was wearing a hairpiece because my hair was two different colors. It was so funny watching their reaction when I explained to them that No, I was not wearing a hairpiece nor had I dyed my hair, my hair had been bleached by the sun so that my ends are a light golden brown while my roots are a dark silvery brown.

I was once told that I looked like Belle from Beauty and the Beast (I was wearing a pale yellow dress). One time someone told me that a photograph of me wasn’t of me because I didn’t look like Snow White and the photograph did (in certain lights my hair looks black, my skin white, and my lips red).

Every so often I’m told that my hair makes me look Victorian. Personally, I think that looking pseudo Victorian has more to do with my preference for long full skirts, and my habit of carrying around a fan than it does with my hair.

Verdandi
July 21st, 2014, 10:14 AM
"Can you take your hair down? "
"Why?"
"So I can pet it!"
Friend of mine who is very fascinated with my hair, have no clue why though. He even used puppy eyes to try and convince me. And yes, he got to pet it ;)

queenovnight
July 21st, 2014, 01:47 PM
I once got that my hair was poofy, like a poodle. I took it as an insult but now I just laugh about it XD

martyna_22
July 21st, 2014, 02:06 PM
I once got that my hair was poofy, like a poodle. I took it as an insult but now I just laugh about it XD

This reminds me of the time I had my hair french braided and I let it down as I had it braided for too long and it got really messy, and my hair was really "big" and I said that I look like a poodle. My friend responded 'But.. poodles are really cute' :D I couldn't help but laugh, either.