PDA

View Full Version : Bargello's Vitamin Regimen - Reposted!

nowxisxforever
March 7th, 2008, 10:29 PM
The entirety of the post below was posted previously at LHC and was found through Google.
---------------------

I had copied this from the old board after someone had posted it. Thought I'd post it again in our new "home" for reference and so that all the newbies would know what the heck the "Bargello Regime" is. :D

Bargello was a member of another hair board and she developed a vitamin regimen for hair health/growth that many on this board follow. It seems that most people (like myself) don't follow it exactly, but use variations of it.

Bargello's vitamin regimen is a great help in developing your own personal vitamin regimen.

-BlkMane

Here is the original text:

By: Bargello
longhairlovers.com
Growing Out Message Board

Vitamins are very important for not just the growth of hair but for overall health. After doing years of research on vitamins, I have found what vitamins work and what ones don't. My overall health has improved 200% since starting my vitamin program. And healthy body means healthy nails, skin, and hair.

Multivitamin: I believe everyone needs to be on a good multivitamin. You need a vitamin that contains at least 100% of the most of the recommended daily nutrients. I am very partial to Vitaminshoppe's One A Day vitamin. This is an excellent vitamin for overall health. Note that it does not contain iron. This might be a concern and might not be. Most menstruating women can benefit from extra iron in their diets. If you happen to be a woman that becomes iron deficient easily, you might just wish to add in an extra iron supplement. By not having iron, this makes a good supplement for men, teens, and post-menopausal women.

Calcium: We all need calcium in our diet. This is something that is an absolute necessity. There is some calcium in the above multivitamin, but not enough. Remember that when taking calcium you also need Vitamin D and Magnesium for the calcium to be absorbed properly. Most multivitamins will contain Vitamin D and Magnesium.

Now for the vitamins which promote healthy hair, skin, and nails.

Hair Vitamins: I like a good hair vitamin to start my program. There are several out there. GNC's Ultra Nourishair is probably one of the best I have seen. It is what I take and is the absolute heart of my program. I am a firm believer in this vitamin. It contains all the necessary vitamins needed for healthy hair.

Note: I do not like the vitamins that state for Hair, Skin, and Nails. They generally have less than you really need of the necessary vitamins for healthy hair, skin, and nails. I am not sure why, but they do. If you take a good hair vitamin, your skin and nails will automatically benefit.

MSM: This vitamin is very important for healthy hair, muscles, and joints. It helps to decrease hair fall out. It does this by assisting in making the growth stage of the hair longer. The longer you are able to retain the root, the longer you hair will grow. You may take up to 2000mg/day. Note: Ultra Nourishair contains 500mg of MSM. I take an additional 1000mg/day.

Silica: Helps in the shine of hair. It is also a very valuable antioxidant. It assists in a lot of other areas other than just helping your hair be soft and shiny. There is silica in the Ultra Nourishair; I take an additional 500mg/day.

Evening Primrose: There is so much to say about this essential fatty acid. It contains Omega-6 Fatty Acid (Gamma-Linolenic Acid). This is a good Omega-6 Fatty Acid. It has several benefits of which I will only name a few. Some of the benefits are reducing PMS, clearing up eczema, helping your skin glow, minimize fine wrinkles, reduce cholesterol, help with your metabolism, and cure hair and nail problems. It helps nourish straw-like hair. You really only need 480-960 mg of GLA to reap wonderful benefits. I personally take 500mg/day. You should see results with Evening Primrose as early as 2 weeks of daily consumption. Your scalp should feel less dry and the hair growing in should feel softer and more nourished.

Flaxseed Oil: Now flaxseed Oil is wonderful in the sense that it contains both Alpha-Linolenic Acid (Omega-3 Fatty Acid) and Gamma-Linolenic Acid (Omega-6 Fatty Acid). Omega-3 is very important in our bodies too. We need both to help maintain a healthy body. Omega-3 has been know the help ADD/ADHD (Attention Deficit Disorder). It is also essential for healthy hair, skin, and nails. It helps hair in the same way Omega-6 does. Why take both? Because the cells of the body need both to work properly. Our bodies do not make either of the Fatty Acids, we must supplement. Taking both will help the cells of the body work more efficiently and in return help growth of hair as well as health of hair and body. I take 500mg/day. I really don't think you need more than that, but experiment. You might find your body does need more.

Biotin: Now biotin is what really can boost your hair growth. Skin, nails, and hair rely on biotin to grow. So, if we feed our bodies more biotin, then our skin will look better, and our nails will be stronger, and our hair will grow faster and stronger. My hair vitamin contains 1200mcg of biotin. I take an additional 2400mcg/day. I have played with the dosage a little and have found that my hair definitely grows faster with the total biotin of 3600mcg/day. You might need to play with this too. You might need more or less than I do for results.

Protein: I can't scream enough about protein. We need it. I don't care if it plant or animal. Truthfully your body can absorb and utilize plant protein better than animal. This is why vegetarians are incredibly healthy. I drink a protein shake everyday with my vitamins. I drink it with milk (it tastes better and I get extra calcium and protein with the milk), vegans can make a protein drink with soymilk (get it with calcium added and you have the benefits of extra vegetable protein and calcium). Adding protein to your diet will help your body all the way around. It will function better and you will not be as hungry all the time. I suggest a protein drink of at least 22gr. of protein. I suggest at least one serving a day. If your diet is really bad, you can drink more. The extra protein will also help your hair grow. It is protein too, you know.

With all this said, everyone is DIFFERENT! You might need more of something than I do, or less. Vitamins are personal things. You need to play with them to get the correct dosage for you. They are not a cure all. They can help your body in ways you wouldn't think about. I have tried to keep the above information brief. I could write pages about each vitamin and why you should take it. The above program works very well for me. My hair grows at the speed of 1 ½" per month. One thing to always remember, when starting a vitamin program, don't expect results overnight. It will take your body 2-6 weeks to benefit from vitamins. This time period depends on how depleted your system is. The average time being 4 weeks. If you are recovering from a serious illness, it could take longer.

One word about prenatal supplements. I personally do not think they will boost hair growth anymore than a good multivitamin. There are a lot of good over-the-counter prenatals out there. I like Natrol probably the best. When I sat down and actually compared the ingredients in prenatal vitamins and multivitamins, the multivitamin actually had more than the prenatals did. Prenatal vitamins do contain extra iron (for anemia), folic acid (for birth defects), and potassium (to help with muscle cramps). Now, none of those ingredients will boost hair growth. I have had 3 pregnancies and I have NEVER taken prenatal vitamins. When I presented my vitamin program to my OB-GYN, each one has stated that they could not have put together a better vitamin program for overall health during pregnancy and after. They have never prescribed a prenatal for me. There really was no need.

If you wish to take a prenatal in addition to a good multivitamin, by all means do. The only reason I think doctors have stated that there has been a boost in hair growth is that generally people don't take vitamins until they get pregnant. They take a prenatal and their hair starts to grow. They think it is the prenatal when in fact it is just getting some good vitamins in the system and the result of pregnancy itself. Pregnancy can cause your hair to grow faster as your body is renewing things a lot faster.

**As of 4/22/2002 Bargello has increased her intake of Biotin to 7500 mcg/day.

Smokie
March 8th, 2008, 01:35 AM
Wooo! Thanks, doll! I've pretty much got the shopping list memorized at this point, but it's always good to be able to reference it again! <3

tiny_teesha
March 8th, 2008, 04:13 AM
now i feel guilty that my only pill popping is a childrens chewable vitamin because i'm too lazy to stress out about swallowing pills (im a little scared of it especially when they get stuck half way!!!)

kate46
March 8th, 2008, 09:19 AM
Hi, thanks for posting this interesting article, I have been taking a hair vitamin complex for quite some time, the tablet is mainly all the vitamin b plus a few other vitamins and minerals, today I bought a multi vitamin and mineral because I felt I needed an all rounder. I'm wondering if it is ok to take both or would I be overdosing on the vitamin b's. (The levels of vit b are much lower in the multi vit & min than in the hair formula).
Thanks in advance for any help on this.
Kate

jamisonlcloud
March 9th, 2008, 09:31 PM
Thanks for reposting, I was looking for it! :D

Islandgrrl
March 10th, 2008, 01:49 PM
B vitamins are water soluble, so you're much less likely to "overdose" on them than with fat soluble vites like A, D, E & K.

If you're concerned about the possibility of toxic levels of B vitamins, you should ask your doc what he/she recommends as safe.

Ohio Sky
March 10th, 2008, 02:30 PM
Wow that is so much great information! Thanks for posting this!

Garnet66
March 13th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Thanks for posting this. I've been wondering what Bargello's Vitamin Regimen is. And I've been trying revamp my vitamin regime. Now I know what I should add. Perfect timing.

Deliciosa
March 16th, 2008, 08:28 PM
as much as i really recomment a healthy lifestyle, is it really necessary to take artificals? wouldnt it help to increase or think a little more about our nutrition? like for instance combining the food more intelligently so they have synergies with eachother (so the body can use the stuff better) so the body could use as much as possibly out of the things you eat.

Elfling
March 16th, 2008, 09:16 PM
as much as i really recomment a healthy lifestyle, is it really necessary to take artificals? wouldnt it help to increase or think a little more about our nutrition? like for instance combining the food more intelligently so they have synergies with eachother (so the body can use the stuff better) so the body could use as much as possibly out of the things you eat.
There's a ton of reasons to supplement.

For one thing, the average person *doesn't* vary their diet much. Even if they eat healthily, they tend to eat from the same 20-30 foods. Vitamins help cover the holes.

Omega-3s and 6s aren't available widely from food, especially if you're concerned about mercury in fish.

For another, you could have absorption issues and not know it. Even living in Florida, I turned out to be vitamin D deficient, so now I supplement. Ditto for magnesium. Of course, I have some thyroid/blood sugar issues which go hand in hand, but the point still stands.

And, even when you supplement you have to be aware of interactions, which vitamins/minerals are fat-soluble vs water soluble, etc.

None of the vitamins/minerals are *artificial*, either. Man-made, perhaps, but still naturally occurring.

Deliciosa
March 17th, 2008, 09:10 AM
First of all, my mom is a chef and a diet-instructor. Second of all as much as i would like to talk in termology when it comes to that topic, because i grew up with that, sometimes it is not really possible, cause English is not my mothertongue - so please have patience.

I really understand what you are talking about, but what is with those secondary plant"things" helping the vitamine to be better absorbsed? I mean if you dont take "naturebased" vitamines and minerals like in a herbal combination then they are artificial without the benifid of those secondary thingies.
I compared this GNC Women Nourtrishair with what we have in Germany, and i have to say that it is really highly dosed. I know that some things in the US are allowed when it comes to suppliments what are not allowed in Germany when it comes to the dosis. That makes me wonder why. Not to say that one or the other is right. It is just an observation i did.

and i dont think that people dont have a lot of variety in their food. I mean i eat very seasonal as i know it from my mom.
Dont you too?

Deliciosa
March 17th, 2008, 09:23 AM
Edit: i have counted roughly what i have been eaten the last week - 45 different foods. Fair enough i also have to admit that i am really into my nutrition.

karishaf
March 18th, 2008, 09:21 PM
To make sure I am reading this correctly..... you take a multivitamin PLUS the hair vitamin at the same time? As well as the other stuff that she posted? I think those are to many pills for me to swallow. I did start taking a multi vitamin last week, and a calcium pill this week on top of that. I think I can handle the hair vitamin as well, but I want to make sure you take all of them at the same time before I buy some instead of one or the other.

chrissy-b
March 21st, 2008, 08:06 PM
thanks for reposting this! i need to get back on a vitamin regimen and this is excellent info.

jojo
March 22nd, 2008, 06:44 PM
just the post i needed to get me motivated, ive been a bit lazy in taking my vitmins lately, apart from my kelp nearly a month on them now and i am noticing some growth, cant wait to measure!

thanks for posting this x

AmandaPanda
April 2nd, 2008, 12:42 PM
I think this has really helped me figure out what I need to add to my diet (as well as other threads here)

I plan on taking a hair supplement like GNC Ultra Nourishair or GNC Hair Skin & Nails, Horsetail, Kelp, possibly cayenne, extra MSM and possibly extra biotin aslo.

That's a lot to take though, I'd probably take 3 in the morning and 3 in the afternoon

Rapunzelwannabe
June 25th, 2008, 12:38 PM
Yay!! thanks so much for reposting this!

zanne
June 26th, 2008, 08:21 AM
Thank you! I Just started back on Bargello's Regimen this month, but it was from memory only, it was great to get this "hard copy".

mommy2one05
June 26th, 2008, 09:23 AM
Wow that is alot of vitamins! So you would have to take like 8 vitamins a day, is that right? I can't even get myself to take one a day. Ok what if someone chose to only take one pill a day, how would you decide which vitamin is the most important??? I guess vitamins would also help with energy too.

JessTheMess
June 26th, 2008, 09:53 AM
Are we supposed to take them all at once?!
That seems like a belly ache to me...

willowcandra
June 29th, 2008, 07:34 AM
I was taking very close to all on this list but they gave no huge benefits.
I now take a regular multi, B complex,codliver oil (instead of flax) and evening primrose, silica and calcium (will be discontinuing calcium when it runs out as I think there is enough of that and vit D in others.

Silica does give me shiny hair and good nails. Msm gave me no noticeable benefits. I took it for several months and still had a stall in growth and really bad shedding.

Taking a high dose multi and a hair vit was too much and I decided to try to eat better instead. I need lots of B's as they help with my depressive tendencies.(I am starting the B complex this week so I cannot say yet what effect this will have if any.)

I will be looking into drinking a soy milk shake 1x daily as my protein intake is currently lacking a little.

Bargellos list is a good one It does show the kinds of things that will aid hair growth.But I felt cod liver oil was a better source of omega3 than flax.

You should look at the list and see what you personally need to top up in conjunction with the lifestyle you lead and what you personally eat. I change my vitamins a couple of times a year based on changes in diet and what I feel/know I am lacking.

Do your research and check safe levels of what you are taking. :)

lora410
June 30th, 2008, 07:42 AM
I started my vitamins again a month or so ago and I have noticed ALOT faster growth. I was wondering why I ever stopped them :lol: Below is what I take and let me tell you its hard just swallowing these select few.

MSM (more my my hip then hair and it works wonders for joint pain)
fish oil (with omega 3 and 6 fattys)
Biotin
One a day weight smart advanced

I was taking B-complex, but even with food it made me nauseated

vidgrl007
July 2nd, 2008, 04:59 PM
morn-I take chromium picolinate,vit-c,vit-a,biotin,l-arganine,hsn,calcium with vit d and k,2msm and 1 omega 3
nite-2 msm,1 omega 3,1 folic acid,1/2 zinc tablet vit e.:rolleyes: I know alot.

MissHair
July 11th, 2008, 05:11 PM
Wow I love this, Im gonna buy Biotin again!

Marcipangris
July 12th, 2008, 10:27 AM
Thanks for posting this! It's really useful to know what works well for people. I would just add it as a warning that
1. Taking the multivitamin and the hair vitamin at the same time makes me nauseated
2. Too much vitamin A can make your hair fall out: I don't know how much is enough to make your hair fall out, but the tolerable upper intake level for adults is 10,000 IU

mommy2one05
July 12th, 2008, 10:40 PM
I really need to start taking at least a daily vitamin since last month there was not much hair growth and I don't eat healthy.
But I don't know what vitamin to start with or where to look?
I am not good at taking pills all the time.

danacc
July 13th, 2008, 11:49 AM
I really need to start taking at least a daily vitamin since last month there was not much hair growth and I don't eat healthy.
But I don't know what vitamin to start with or where to look?
I am not good at taking pills all the time.

A good place to start is a daily multivitamin for overall health. As far as I know, vitamins are taken daily. Some vitamins are "water soluble", and your body will flush any excess from your system daily, so you need to supplement daily. I haven't heard of any "timed release" versions that you can take less often. Obviously, the label on the ones you buy will have directions.

Many multivitamins target a specific demographic. For example, iron is important for pre-menopausal women, but not as important to supplement for men or post-menopausal women. So, you'll see "women's" multivitamins, "men's" multi-vitamins, "active" multi-vitamins, and "senior's" multivitamins. This isn't just marketing hype. If you're just starting out, pick one made for your personal circumstances. If you become interested in diving in and learning about the details, you can always tweak later.

For me, it is more important to try to eat a healthy variety of foods than to tweak my supplement system. I see vitamin pills as just that, a supplement. They are an insurance policy, if you will, against any gaps in my diet.

That said, thanks for posting this system. It's good to know which nutrients affect the hair and how. Also, I know some folks swear by their vitamin pill routine, and if it's working for you, certainly continue doing what you're doing!

danacc
July 13th, 2008, 11:58 AM

I'm interested in knowing which foods provide these nutrients, too.

One obvious one is to ingest flax seeds instead of supplementing with flax seed oil. You must grind the flax seeds to get the benefits. You can grind them with a coffee grinder, or you can buy ground flax seeds. Once ground, they lose their nutrients easily, so keep refrigerated in a dark, sealed container. I add ground flax seeds directly to soy milk and then drink fast (the ground flax seeds will expand and eventually make mush which I don't want to happen before I drink it).

What about other nutrients that benefit hair? Where would I find them in my diet?

Alethia
July 13th, 2008, 02:49 PM
I use flax seeds to supplement eggs in my baking - just so I don't use so many eggs because it's expensive and I bake a LOT. I blitz them then mix them with hot water from the kettle (not freshly boiled as it woud denature the unsaturated fatty acids). Leave them to soak fo10 minutes, then whisk them up to create a frothy mixture a bit like egg white. 1 tbsp ground flax seeds roughly equals one egg.

As for biotin, deficiency is extremely rare, as intestinal bacteria generally produce an excess of the body's daily requirement. You're more likely to be deficient in biotin if you've got diabetes or phenylketonuria.

I may start taking a multivitamin and see if my hair gets thicker, but I have neither the time nor the bank balance to take such a multitude of different vits. I can't be doing too badly since my hair has managed to get to this length despite 2 pregnancies in the past 8 years, and being combed with a nit comb every 3 days for 2 weeks on 2 separate occasions last year!

Mandie
July 14th, 2008, 01:00 AM
Aah, I remember this! Awesome!

n3m3sis42
July 14th, 2008, 05:46 AM
I haven't taken supplements in a long time, although I'm thinking about getting a multi-vitamin, a B-complex supplement, and some flaxseed oil.

I have past experience with flaxseed oil from when I used to be really into weightlifting a few years ago. All of my personal trainers recommended it, because of the Omega-3's. If I remember correctly, you can get most of the Omega-6's you need from fatty fish like salmon, but it's pretty hard to get Omega-3's in sufficient quantity through diet alone.

I happen to think that flaxseed oil tastes nasty, but I did have pretty nice hair and skin when I took it regularly. Also, just a tip: you want to buy flaxseed oil that's been refrigerated, because if it's not refrigerated, it loses its beneficial properties pretty quickly.

squiggyflop
July 15th, 2008, 06:18 AM
hmm i prefer natrol skin hair nails vitamin.. its got alot more of the vitamins that are needed.. it doesnt have as much of the exras but biotin makes my skin break out in large quantitys.

here is gnc's hair vitamin's info..
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* A specialized formula featuring 23 ingredients. Includes:
Supplement Facts
Serving Size 2 Caplet(s)
Servings Per Container 30
Amount Per Serving % DV
Vitamin A (100% as beta-Carotene) 1000.00 IU 20%
Vitamin C (as Ascorbic Acid) 60.00 mg 100%
Vitamin E (as natural d-alpha Tocopheryl Succinate) 30.00 IU 100%
Vitamin B-1 (as Thiamin Mononitrate) 1.50 mg 100%
Riboflavin (Vitamin B-2) 1.70 mg 100%
Niacin (as Niacinamide) 20.00 mg 100%
Vitamin B-6 (as Pyridoxine Hydrochloride) 4.00 mg 200%
Folic Acid 200.00 mcg 50%
Vitamin B12 (as Cyanocobalamin) 6.00 mcg 100%
Biotin 1200.00 mcg 400%
Pantothenic Acid (as Calcium d-Pantothenate) 20.00 mg 200%
Iodine (as Potassium Iodide) 50.00 mcg 33%
Magnesium (as Magnesium Oxide) 40.00 mg 10%
Zinc (as Zinc Oxide) 30.00 mg 200%
Copper (as Copper Gluconate) 2.00 mg 100%
Boron (as Boron Citrate) 3.00 mg **
Silica (as Silicon Dioxide) 1.00 mg **
MSM (Methylsulfonyl-methane) 500.00 mg **
Natural Amino Acid Complex (as Lactalbumin) 500.00 mg **
L-Cysteine 200.00 mg **
L-Methionine 100.00 mg **
Choline (as Choline Bitartrate) 250.00 mcg **
Inositol 50.00 mcg **
** Daily Value (DV) not established

Other Ingredients: Cellulose, Vegetable Acetoglycerides, Titanium Dioxide (Natural Mineral Whitener)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
not very much vitamins in there seeing as how scientists think we can only get 30% of whats in a pill.. (source discovery channel) i find that b vitamins are what really helps my hair.. and natrol has massive amounts of them.. if one can only get 30% of what one takes the large amounts in natrol skin hair nails is just what one needs..

here are natrols vitamin info:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ingredients

Amt Per Serving

% Daily Value
Vitamin A (Vitamin A Palmitate) 5000IU 100%
Vitamin C (as Ascorbic Acid) 100mg 167%
Vitamin E (as d-Alpha Tocopheryl Succinate) 50IU 167%
Thiamin (as Thiamin HCI) S (Vitamin B-1)
10mg 667%
Riboflavin (Vitamin B-2) 10mg 588%
Vitamin B-6 (as Pyridoxine HCI) 20mg 1000%
Vitamin B-12 (as Cobalamin) 50mcg 833%
Biotin 500mcg 167%
Zinc (as Zinc Oxide) 8mg 53%
Copper (as Copper Amino Acid Chelate) 2mg 100%
Manganese (as Manganese Carbonate) 2mg 100%
MSM (Methyl Sulfonyl Methane) 250mg *
Organic Sulfur
84mg

Comprehensive Mineral Complex (from Sea Water) 100mg *
Cysteine (as L-Cysteine Hydrochloride) 75mg *
PABA (Para Aminobenzoic Acid) 50mg *
Burdock Root (Arctium lappa) 50mg *
Choline (as Choline Bitartrate) 25mg *
Inositol 25mg *
Silicon (as Colloidal Silicon) 20mg *
L-Glutathione 2mg *
* Daily Value (DV) not established.

Other Ingredients

Gelatin, Silica, Magnesium Stearate, Rice Powder.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i was getting an outragious growth rate with natrol before.. (pictures here) (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=8040)

i dont like the gnc formula.. there just isnt enough vitamins in it..

plus i take a centrum too..

i cant get myself to take any more because i always take them with my sleeping pills right before bed.. if i take more ill have to get up during the night to use the bathroom rom all the water i drink to swallow the pills.. i cant get myself to take pills in the morning.. i just cant do it.. i wont remember.. however at night i remember because i cant sleep without sleeping pills..

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i dont think all of those suppliments (especially the oils) are absolutely necessary.. i get by fine without them.. just natrol and centrum

Myeka
July 17th, 2008, 05:40 AM
About the B vitamins. It's safe to take a 50-100mg complex (note, some of the B's in your complex will be higher than that in order to reach the necessary balance). You don't need any more than that. 50 is fine for most people, 100's if you're under a lot of stress.

BlackfootHair
July 17th, 2008, 07:41 AM
now i feel guilty that my only pill popping is a childrens chewable vitamin because i'm too lazy to stress out about swallowing pills (im a little scared of it especially when they get stuck half way!!!)

If you pull your chin down towards your chest and swallow, they go down much easier. Some people tend to stretch their neck out or lift their chin up when they swallow. You can test this by drinking some water. :)

squiggyflop
July 17th, 2008, 09:18 PM
About the B vitamins. It's safe to take a 50-100mg complex (note, some of the B's in your complex will be higher than that in order to reach the necessary balance). You don't need any more than that. 50 is fine for most people, 100's if you're under a lot of stress.
hmm so because im always stressed out the extra b vitamins are good for me.. im incredibly stressed all the time.. :neutral::ponder:

Gladtobemom
July 17th, 2008, 11:02 PM
I was looking for this.

Thank you
http://www.emotihost.com/glass9/9.gif

stinastina
July 18th, 2008, 03:55 PM
Last year I was taking everything mentioned: multivitamin, hair skin & nails, biotin, msm, protein supplement and flaxseed oil. I had a ton of her growth. Then I started slacking off and eventually stopped. My hair grows at a snail's pace now. I haven't gotten much growth this year at all.
Thanks for posting this and getting me motivated again !:cheese:

bohemian
July 18th, 2008, 07:51 PM
I love all the info. on this site. Everytime I'm on here I learn at least 2 new things I want to try!!:D

dor3girl
July 22nd, 2008, 10:16 AM
It's funny that I am reading this today--I just went & bought some silica last night! I have been taking MSM for about 3 1/2 years & it has helped. Also--the MSM has additional benefits: I have sprained both ankles in the last month (in addition to one wrist) & all three healed rather rapidly (one within 24 hours)--so, even if you don't notice an improvement in your (dead) hair--it will help with those joints. I don't know about anyone else, but I am not getting younger--so supplements help!

dor3girl
July 22nd, 2008, 10:17 AM
If you pull your chin down towards your chest and swallow, they go down much easier. Some people tend to stretch their neck out or lift their chin up when they swallow. You can test this by drinking some water. :)

Also--if you take it with a tartly-sweet drink (crystal lite or OJ) the vitamins go down smoother. Worth a try. . .

dor3girl
July 22nd, 2008, 10:33 AM

Even if you are a "juicer" and make your own fruit/veggie juice from home grown produce--there are still little gaps in your nutrition, so taking a multi-vitamin helps.

For those who don't juice, a multi-vitamin should be mandatory. Food has less nutritional value today than it did 50 years ago. Partly because we do not allow our farmland to rest and rotate between 5-7 year growing cycles, the way farmers used to. Soil needs ammendments because the over-used farmland has less nutrients to offer. Even "organic" produce is sadly lacking in nutrients (at least here in the US).

Your best bet is to grow some things yourself, buy from farmers markets, or the fruits & veggies as they are in season, and take a multi-vitamin as "back-up". I do like the synergetic foods idea--you will absorb more of the nutrients. . .

nowxisxforever
June 8th, 2009, 11:43 AM
I've been thinking of doing this again. Anyone else still on it and can report their progress?

enfys
June 8th, 2009, 01:32 PM
I mostly am on it, where availability allows, and I get 1" of growth a month, and have loads of baby hairs coming in.

I've only been on it for 3 months though, so what do I know?! I'd love to hear some veterans experiences.

nowxisxforever
July 18th, 2009, 04:39 PM
I mostly am on it, where availability allows, and I get 1" of growth a month, and have loads of baby hairs coming in.

I've only been on it for 3 months though, so what do I know?! I'd love to hear some veterans experiences.

I did it for a while a few years ago, need to get all the vitamins again, but I noticed definite increase in my health as well as my growth. I stopped taking them because i was lazy and had a visitor :( Hmmm.

The only downside is I couldn't handle the calcium pills. Calcium supplements always make me ill, I'm not sure why. Cheese is fine, I don't drink milk unless it's in something, etc., but supplements - tums or pills - just..eugh, so I couldn't take those.

gmdiaz
July 18th, 2009, 05:06 PM
I've been on Bargello's Regimen for a few months. . .but slowly getting up to speed.

It's hard to take all those pills. . .yick. But I am seeing very good results. My skin looks really clear and bright and my hair is growing about an inch a month. I can't say that I FEEL all that much better but I look better. lol

I really do have to eat something before I take the pills or I do get nauseated. Especially with the big horse pill multi-vitamin and the Ultra Nourish-Hair which both smells bad and tastes bad. If I just can't STAND to take one of the Ultra Nourish-Hair, I switch off and take two Nutricap vitamins for hair. Those are totally easy to take.

In addition to Bargello's suggested vitamins, I also take sublingual Methylcobalamin (B-12). I've noticed that it is bringing back my missing fingernail moons. I'd totally lost them on my ring and pinky fingers.

And I also drink one of those Emergen-C, vitamin C and mineral drinks every morning during the work week.

hippiechick1976
July 18th, 2009, 05:42 PM
In addition to Bargello's suggested vitamins, I also take sublingual Methylcobalamin (B-12). I've noticed that it is bringing back my missing fingernail moons. I'd totally lost them on my ring and pinky fingers.

And I also drink one of those Emergen-C, vitamin C and mineral drinks every morning during the work week.[/quote]

I too noticed my moons are gone. How does b-12 help this?

nowxisxforever
July 18th, 2009, 05:58 PM

And I also drink one of those Emergen-C, vitamin C and mineral drinks every morning during the work week.

I too noticed my moons are gone. How does b-12 help this?

What are the moons, anyway? I know what you two are referring to, but I'm not certain of what their purpose is or what they are.

gmdiaz
July 18th, 2009, 06:04 PM
I don't know how it works but know that it is working.

I was having some weird little nerve tingly feelings on top of my feet and some other issues and was doing a web search and found that my symptoms might might be linked to a B-12 deficiency.

Then I read that this helped one person who was having much worse problems than mine. This person reported that as an unexpected side effect, he saw his moon's returned with the B-12.

I decided to try it since I couldn't hurt yourself with too much B-12. It does take a few months and quite high doses. I started taking about 25 MG a day and have cut down to half that. Soon, I'll drop it back to 5 MG.

My moons were absolutely totally gone on both ring and pinky fingers. Now they're about 1/8" and still growing. I love it.

gmdiaz
July 18th, 2009, 06:47 PM
What are the moons, anyway? I know what you two are referring to, but I'm not certain of what their purpose is or what they are.

From what I've read on the web:

They're just part of the nailbed called the lunula. . .the lack of the moons is associated with lack of circulation, being low on calcium and other minerals and low B-12.

The nails grow out from the matrix, the area beneath the cuticle, and push the new cells outward, where they harden.

nowxisxforever
July 18th, 2009, 07:39 PM
From what I've read on the web:

They're just part of the nailbed called the lunula. . .the lack of the moons is associated with lack of circulation, being low on calcium and other minerals and low B-12.

The nails grow out from the matrix, the area beneath the cuticle, and push the new cells outward, where they harden.

Oh, interesting. I don't have any on my pinky and ring fingers but those grow the fastest? Strange.

Elettaria
July 19th, 2009, 05:30 AM
i cant get myself to take any more because i always take them with my sleeping pills right before bed.. if i take more ill have to get up during the night to use the bathroom rom all the water i drink to swallow the pills.. i cant get myself to take pills in the morning.. i just cant do it.. i wont remember.. however at night i remember because i cant sleep without sleeping pills..

You shouldn't take vitamins at night, it'll make your sleep worse. As your body has to be quite busy digesting them, take them during the day. You can get little compartmentalised boxes for taking pills, which I find very useful as I have substantial memory problems due to having severe ME/CFIDS. After a while you get used to the routine of taking out each day's box and looking at it from time to time. Vitamins are best taken with food, which should also reduce nausea.

I'm a bit concerned that you say you can't sleep without sleeping pills. Most people shouldn't take sleeping pills long-term, they make sleep problems worse. You could of course be one of the people with a medical condition that means that you'll never sleep right without aid (I am myself, I can't get enough deep sleep, although my doctor hasn't found anything that works without causing horrible side-effects, so I'm using herbal sleep aids instead), so forgive me if that's the case. I'm just rather concerned because long-term sleeping pill use is far from healthy if you're not, many sleeping pills stop working after a while, they prevent you from being able to sleep on your own, and some can have terrifying side effects. What are you taking and why, if you don't mind my asking? What does your doctor say about it? How good is your sleep hygiene?

To everyone else: if you're getting nauseated, there are things you can do. Firstly, if you're getting over the RDA of zinc (15mg), cut down so that you're not. There are plenty of vitamins and minerals you shouldn't overdose on, and zinc is one of them. Vitamin A is a very important one, under no circumstances should you be getting more than the RDA of that. Secondly, B vitamins can make a tablet taste revolting, so you may be better off taking your Bs separately. Mega-dose B6 (I've tried fairly high B6 for hormonal problems) can also cause nausea, as well as other symptoms such as tingling, which is quite serious and means the extra B6 should be stopped immediately. Simply trying different brands of multivit will help you find something that you can swallow comfortably without retching. They don't have to be horse tablets.

Some nutrients are too bulky to fit into ordinary multivitamins, particularly calcium, so those can be worth taking separately. I wouldn't take more than one multivitamin at a time, as you'll end up doubling up on nutrients well past the RDA.

Personally, I've tried a variety of nutritional supplements and decided they generally weren't worth it. I take a multivitamin and for about ten days per cycle I also add in some magnesium, as a preventative for menstrual migraine. I'm planning to start taking echium oil (http://www.vegepa.com/vegepa.php?n=vwp12314310931814952214&indi=&ti=) (a vegetarian alternative to fish oil for Omega 3) in a couple of months, as it's a recommended treatment for ME/CFIDS, and I'll let folks know if it happens to do anything for my hair. I'm not going to start it just yet, I'm giving the herbal supplements regime time to settle down, otherwise I won't know what's caused what changes. It's always best to change one thing at a time, even if you're desperate to see results. Otherwise you end up spending a fortune, and either nothing helps, or something helps but you don't know what it was.

nowxisxforever
July 29th, 2009, 02:20 PM
You shouldn't take vitamins at night, it'll make your sleep worse. As your body has to be quite busy digesting them, take them during the day. You can get little compartmentalised boxes for taking pills, which I find very useful as I have substantial memory problems due to having severe ME/CFIDS. After a while you get used to the routine of taking out each day's box and looking at it from time to time. Vitamins are best taken with food, which should also reduce nausea.

Agreed.

I usually took mine either in the morning before work, or when I got home from work, a good 3-4+ hours before bed. It may be beneficial also to take a few at a time with each meal over the course of your day rather than all at once like I did.

lora410
July 29th, 2009, 02:42 PM
One thing we can keep in mind is our bodies store Biotin for quite some time naturally, so we may not need a whole ton of it :blossom:

I take

Multi (half one because they make me eat)
Flax
Fish
Calcium
Evening primrose (do not take when preggy, since studies are not sure if it can cause the cervix to soften or not)
Vitamin E
Super b-complex

systemaurora
July 29th, 2009, 03:44 PM
Make sure to get your iron, especially if you're bleeding regularly! Iron deficient anaemia can lead to hair loss and premature greying/silvering. That's definitely been my experience.

I just started taking a multivitamin from whole foods that seems pretty good. 100% of everything and less junk and fillers.

xovictoryxo
July 29th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Great thread!!!
I take Biotin, and Fish oil and folic acid.
I will look into the other vitamins listed

CaityBear
July 29th, 2009, 08:35 PM
I've recently started on taking vitamins again. I'm taking a hair, nails and skin multi, cod liver and extra MSM. My hair, nails and skin and MSM both say to take 2 pills, 2 times a day and since they're expensive, I've only been taking 1 pill, 2 times a day. I want to find a cheaper multi for hair, nails and skin. I'm kind of liking that kind of multi for my skin as well, and then taking extra MSM for my hair.

So would it be okay to still take my multi vitamin/mineral pill every day? I stopped taking it because I didn't want to get too much...

nowxisxforever
July 30th, 2009, 02:58 PM
I've recently started on taking vitamins again. I'm taking a hair, nails and skin multi, cod liver and extra MSM. My hair, nails and skin and MSM both say to take 2 pills, 2 times a day and since they're expensive, I've only been taking 1 pill, 2 times a day. I want to find a cheaper multi for hair, nails and skin. I'm kind of liking that kind of multi for my skin as well, and then taking extra MSM for my hair.

So would it be okay to still take my multi vitamin/mineral pill every day? I stopped taking it because I didn't want to get too much...

You should be fine with the multi on top of it, if you look at this vitamin regimen you will see that there is a regular multi and a hair multi and all these other individual vitamins.

Just be careful not to overdo anything that you can, uh, overdo. I don't know which those are...

Syaoransbear
August 4th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Just starting this regimen today, although I'm having a hard time finding the GNC Ultra Nourishair. Perhaps they were just sold out. Is there any one place to find all of these vitamins? I actually had to go to 4 different stores and I still don't have the Nourishair hair vitamin. I'm also having a hard time finding silica. The silica I did find is only 15mg per pill, and the Bargello regimen requires 500mg extra. I don't really feel like eating 33 pills a day heh.

nowxisxforever
August 4th, 2009, 07:31 PM
Just starting this regimen today, although I'm having a hard time finding the GNC Ultra Nourishair. Perhaps they were just sold out. Is there any one place to find all of these vitamins? I actually had to go to 4 different stores and I still don't have the Nourishair hair vitamin. I'm also having a hard time finding silica. The silica I did find is only 15mg per pill, and the Bargello regimen requires 500mg extra. I don't really feel like eating 33 pills a day heh.

I had to get mine online at a vitamin shipment place. GNC probably ;D

Loviatar
August 5th, 2009, 04:09 AM
I don't do Bargello, although I wanted to when I first started on LHC - but things like calcium didnt seem to do anything for me.

Ive recently started taking daily:

Holland and Barrett skin hair nails vitamin (you take 3 pills though which is a pain)
1 flaxseed oil capsule (HUGE)
2.5mg biotin tablet
2 kelp tablets
1 evening primrose capsule
1 fish oil capsule
1 peppermint oil capsule (counteracts fish taste, and helps my nervous stomach)

Maybe I should also take a multivit, though the hair skin nails is pretty good. I never get nauseated.

enfys
August 5th, 2009, 02:57 PM
I don't do Bargello, although I wanted to when I first started on LHC - but things like calcium didnt seem to do anything for me.

Ive recently started taking daily:

Holland and Barrett skin hair nails vitamin (you take 3 pills though which is a pain)
1 flaxseed oil capsule (HUGE)
2.5mg biotin tablet
2 kelp tablets
1 evening primrose capsule
1 fish oil capsule
1 peppermint oil capsule (counteracts fish taste, and helps my nervous stomach)

Maybe I should also take a multivit, though the hair skin nails is pretty good. I never get nauseated.

I can't prove it, but a while ago I compared the Boots H, S & N with the Holland and Barratt one and the Boots one was better. And one a day. And always on 3 for 2. A friend of mine took the same ones as you and they were pretty big if I remember?

Monsterkitti
August 6th, 2009, 12:51 AM
Thanks for reposting this :) Ordered some more Biotin and some primrose oila s a result! :)

Im on these at the moment:

1xBoots multi vitamin
1x Kelp (Probably need more a day but they taste horrible :)

When I was taking Biotin I seemed to get pretty rapid growth. I havent really noticed much of a change with the kelp, my dose may be too low I guess but I have a huge tub so I will at least see it till they run out :)

Elettaria
August 6th, 2009, 03:41 AM
You can get peppermint oil on the NHS, you know, it's called Colpermin and is prescribed for IBS and its friends. Standard dose is 3 capsules a day, 6 if needed.

I'd always recommend starting supplements one at a time and giving them 1-3 months to see if they're doing anything for you, as I said above. Loviatar, did you start everything in that regime at once? I think you'd be better off splitting them up. Quite apart from anything else, you may need higher doses of some supplements, and others you may try in various doses and find that they do nothing whatsoever for you. You may want to try a few different things with the essential fatty acids, especially if the fish is bothering your stomach. I've just ordered my echium oil (http://www.vegepa.com/vegepa.php?n=vwp12314310931814952214&indi=&ti=) and plan to start using it after my next period.

Elettaria
August 6th, 2009, 05:19 AM
This (http://cgi.ebay.com/PILL-BOX-MEDICINE-DISPENSER-HOLDER-7-DAY-LARGE-BIG_W0QQitemZ160352478290QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item2555c0a452&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14) is the sort of pillbox set that I use, by the way. Check the size when you're buying it, as you may need a larger one if you're taking a lot of supplements. I'm about to add 8 Echiomega capsules per day, and have bought a larger set as my current set only just squeezes in my present regime. You just need to keep a single day box with you at any one time, and it's fairly easy to get into the routine of remembering to take a dose when you have a meal. If nothing else, this is a godsend for those of us whose memory is so poor that we've forgotten whether or not we've taken something straight after taking it!

Shouldn't this thread be in "Health and Body Beautiful"?

erbe
August 6th, 2009, 02:28 PM
Taking a prenatal vitamin most likely has nothing to do with hair growth. Your hair will grow faster, and longer (and stop shedding) during pregnancy because of higher blood volume. Yes hormones help too a bit, but it really is the increased blood volume during pregnancy that can make hair grow.

nowxisxforever
December 25th, 2009, 07:10 PM
Maybe I will go back on this regimen sometime soon. I remember liking it.

tiny_teesha
July 2nd, 2010, 08:58 AM

Yes i usually pull my chin out and up, if they are any bigger then a half inch in diameter it's impossible and it gets stuck and i gag on it but i never thought of putting my chin to my chest, i shall have to try it!

I'm thinking of buying some vitamins to TRY to help my hair as now i really CAN NOT eat healthy. So i'll give it an effort!

<3OnHerSleeve
October 18th, 2010, 07:30 PM
great thread :)
Currently I've been taking a supplement containing MSM, Zinc tablets, Prenatal (not because they make your hair grow, but I found that reading the content they had the daily recommended dosage in 2 tablets and had more minerals, vitamins and omegas than normal multivitamins), and Acai which was for detoxing.
However I'm currently planning once I run out, to continue with the MSM and Prenatal, drop the other two and add Evening Primrose Capsules and Sea Kelp Capsules.
So I'll be mostly covered as I have calcium everyday in my normal food etc. the only thing I'll end up lacking is the Silica.

Hotrox
October 19th, 2010, 02:10 AM
This thread has me thinking about my vitamin regime.

I take a Vit B complex, MSM, Vit C (to help the MSM work better) and Zinc.

Maybe I need to tweak some of this to make it more hair growth friendly! I am scared to add biotin as I had bad acne as a teenager and also I find that evening primrose and fish oil has broken me out in the past and made me look like an oil slick with in a few days of taking them.

Perhaps I should start with a low dose of 1 of them, and think about adding a multi to the mix!

summergame
October 19th, 2010, 04:08 AM
It's really intresting here! I'm gonna wait until i have my bloodresults(checking iron,ferritine and a few more because of my Alopecia androgenetica. The doctor told me also that its possible that my iron is to low and that would be give also hairloss.
If i have the results i will look at Germany for some supllements who not contains lactose.
I also think that they are cheaper in Germany than in Belgium.

I have a really sensitive stomache and i have to be careful to swallow to much pills.

Fairlight63
October 19th, 2010, 12:01 PM
I take Maxi Hair vit. & Daily Total One Multi Vit.
The Maxi Hair says to take 2 a day but I am afraid of over dosing on Vit A. so I only take 1 Maxi Hair vit. plus 1 Multi vit.
The Maxi Hair has 5,000IU in 2 tablets
The Daily Total One Multi Vit. has 5,000 IU in 1 tab.

Do you think that it is OK to take 1 each? or do you think that it would be OK to take 2 of the Maxi Hair & 1 of the Multi. Vit.???
Or should I just take the 2 Maxi Hair & leave out the Multi. vit.?

jojo
October 20th, 2010, 03:03 PM
I started on this regime nearly 4 months ago and the hair vit i take with it is country life maxi hair, I am just starting to get just over an inch a month which for me (normally 3" a YEAR) is wonderful.

My nails where the first thing i noticed, stronger, quicker growing and the white bits really white, then my skin which feels velvety to touch and is blemish free, the last thing to kick in was my hair and im talking all hair; eyebrows, eyelashes (yes really), leg, pit and "you know hair" not to the extent i could do a number 8 bun with a hair stick but longer all the same!

I am really impressed with this regime, I split the pills into 2 lots and take one lot first thing in the morning and the other lot in the evening and I always take with a glass of milk to prevent an upset stomach!

LightSabr
February 27th, 2011, 03:02 PM
I'm definitely trying this. Is anyone still using Bargello's vitamin regimen?

Mesmerise
February 27th, 2011, 04:14 PM
I will definitely try this! Just need to wait for some $$$ to come through so I can afford those supplements. I was taking MSM for awhile and I noticed then that my nails were so much stronger, and my hair also seemed to grow fairly fast that year (2009), I didn't use it last year and my nails aren't as good and my hair started shedding and didn't seem to grow nearly as fast.

I am really interested in what this regime could do for my hair (as well as overall health including skin and nails)! It would be AMAZING if I could achieve 1" of hair growth each month!! I think my hair grew about 1.4cm last month (a weenie bit over 1/2") and that was with a couple of castor oil treatments. That plus some good supplementation could really help!

I can't wait for my hair to be not only long but THICK (not THICK thick cause I don't think my hair can be...but just normal healthy for me thick and not stringy and strandy at the ends).

Dolly
February 27th, 2011, 07:24 PM

I know this is an old thread, and I haven't read all of it......BUT, my 12-year old son was having issues taking pills, whether they be vitamins, his allergy pills, or meds that he needed for a specific illness. The doc suggested that I coat the pills in a light film of olive oil.....it worked! They slide right down!

Mesmerise
February 27th, 2011, 07:28 PM
I know this is an old thread, and I haven't read all of it......BUT, my 12-year old son was having issues taking pills, whether they be vitamins, his allergy pills, or meds that he needed for a specific illness. The doc suggested that I coat the pills in a light film of olive oil.....it worked! They slide right down!

Oh cool! I will try that with my 8 year old next time she needs one. Maybe I need to do it too? I hate swallowing really big pills. I'm actually bad with vitamins cause I had those parents who pumped them into me as a child (and not just a yummy chewable one either...nooo...I must have taken at least 6 or 7 a day of ones that you had to swallow). I need to get back into it though! My HAIR needs me to!

tigerhearted
February 28th, 2011, 08:00 AM
!!! I am kind of horrified to see Evening Primrose Oil recommended so lightly. EPO should be used cautiously.

"Evening Primrose Oil - A lot of women take this for enhancing their cervical mucus while trying to conceive. This herbal is not for everyone. This can stop a woman from completely ovulating. This herbal is a phytoestrogen. Meaning it comes from plant like estrogen's. This herbal enhances estrogen levels in the female system so she can produce more fertile cervical mucus. A woman with higher levels of estrogen will need to avoid this herbal. This herbal is used during labor if taken vaginally as it softens the cervix for a more efficient birth."

from here (http://www.amandabears.com/heartsherbals-and-their-properties-new.html)

Check with your doctor before taking herbal supplements!!

Deliciosa
September 6th, 2011, 02:23 PM
Hi you lovelies

as I recently started to sum up my supplement regime in order to see sufficiencies and efficiencies I discovered that when I researched the RDAs for all those vitamins etc. I found that there are many different numbers floating out there. I found this one (http://www.anyvitamins.com/rda.htm#Fat%20Soluble%20Vitamins*)
Now those numbers are so low and I take so much more. How do I make sure that I dont overdose - who does provide numbers that are true and trustworthy???

julierockhead
September 6th, 2011, 06:43 PM
For those of you having trouble taking large pills and/or becoming nauseous, break the pills in half. They are easier to take that way, and you can take on in the am and one in the pm if you want.

Also, there are adult gummy vitamins available now, I know they offer calcium as a gummy, check out drugstore.com.

In2wishin
September 7th, 2011, 05:27 PM
Hi you lovelies

as I recently started to sum up my supplement regime in order to see sufficiencies and efficiencies I discovered that when I researched the RDAs for all those vitamins etc. I found that there are many different numbers floating out there. I found this one (http://www.anyvitamins.com/rda.htm#Fat%20Soluble%20Vitamins*)
Now those numbers are so low and I take so much more. How do I make sure that I dont overdose - who does provide numbers that are true and trustworthy???

Here is an interesting website I have been using. You plug in your information and on your profile page it gives you daily targets for different vitamins and minerals as well as the maximum levels you should take. There is a food diary you can use to see what you are getting from your food and where there may be shortages. I did the food diary for a week and it showed me that I was not getting enough of several nutrients. The only one of them that my supplement regimen didn't bring to my target is calcium so I will be adding 500 mg. (1200 is my target and I average around 700-800 per day in my food).

http://cronometer.com/

Deliciosa
December 27th, 2011, 04:08 PM
Here is an interesting website I have been using. You plug in your information and on your profile page it gives you daily targets for different vitamins and minerals as well as the maximum levels you should take. There is a food diary you can use to see what you are getting from your food and where there may be shortages. I did the food diary for a week and it showed me that I was not getting enough of several nutrients. The only one of them that my supplement regimen didn't bring to my target is calcium so I will be adding 500 mg. (1200 is my target and I average around 700-800 per day in my food).

http://cronometer.com/

Sorry that I only saw your message today. I was wondering how you tweek your cronometer to really see WHAT is missing. Most of the food that I eat is not even listed. Therefore I assume that I can only approximate, what I eat etc. How do you set goals? Or if you already take supplements, how do you reflect this then?
Sorry for all these questions but I'd rather know what I need than just taking a pill, if you know what I mean.

EbonyCurls
February 2nd, 2012, 05:41 AM
Hey guys, I've never regularly taken vitamins before (except when I was a kid and force-fed flinstone vitamins, or when I almost OD'd on gummy vitamins as a teen.....those things should not taste so good)....aaaaaanyway......

My question is, I want to begin taking 6 pills (biotin, GNC Nourishair, multivitamin, silica, MSM, and calcium). I hate swallowing pills and I already know we're going to have a problem here, so I would like to break up the dosages, 3 in the morning, 3 at lunch.

I know just enough about vitamins that the combos taken are important (in that it can be more beneficial to take certain ones together, or that you want to avoid getting sick by taking certain ones together), so could any of you please help me with how I should break these up?

Helenae
February 2nd, 2012, 08:31 AM
Bargello's hair regime is absolutely dangerous. She is totally overdosing on MSM and Biotin.

Do not follow her regime unless you want to have renal failure.

Please read this: http://igorsbelltower.blogspot.com/p/infamous-biotin-rant.html

Just because something is water-soluble does not make it harmless! Alcohol is water-soluble! Is it harmless? NO.

Overdosing on water-soluble vitamins is acceptable. MEGAdosing on water-soluble vitamins is not! Taking 5000 mcg or more of Biotin is a megadose, not an overdose.

I know people on LCH that have reported renal failure from taking 5000 mcg of Biotin daily for over 6 months.

Be reasonable people!

I take 3000 mcg a day (and that is already a lot) ... I split my intake into taking one 1000 mcg pill every 4 hours, because water-soluble vitamins stay in your system for approx 4 hours.

What makes you think that your body is capable of absorbing 5000 mcg (or more) of Biotin in one go?

Please be prudent.

AnnaB
July 30th, 2012, 09:17 AM
This is a great thread.
I been talking vitamins for a while but there are some helpful suggestions.

It does worry me though, how many people take hair skin and nails vitamins and multivitamins at the same time! Would this be an overdose?
Mind, I have done it myself, until my mother saw and freaked out about me ending up with kidney failier because of constant vitamin overdose.

One this I would strongly recommend , please always take vitamins with food. NEVER on empty stomach, this is so dangerous!

Also, I have a close friend who took alot of different vitamins every day, for couple of years and now she has severe allergies to most. so please be careful and take a break from vitamins every several months.

Jenny777
August 2nd, 2012, 07:08 PM
Wow! What an awesome amount of info on vitamins and regimens! I do have a question however,... I wanted to ask what exactly you meant when you were describing one of the many vitamins and stated they were in the Ultra Nourishair and the amount of mg's they were, but that you take an additional amount of mg's a day? Do you take more than one of the Ultra Nourishair, or another brand of each additional vitamin you take?

IE:
You may take up to 2000mg/day. Note: Ultra Nourishair contains 500mg of MSM. I take an additional 1000mg/day.

There is silica in the Ultra Nourishair; I take an additional 500mg/day.

My hair vitamin contains 1200mcg of biotin. I take an additional 2400mcg/day. I have played with the dosage a little and have found that my hair definitely grows faster with the total biotin of 3600mcg/day.

Also, what brand of protein do you recommend for the protein drink?

Thank you!!!

Dang3rousB3auty
August 2nd, 2012, 09:14 PM
Bargello's hair regime is absolutely dangerous. She is totally overdosing on MSM and Biotin.

Do not follow her regime unless you want to have renal failure.

Please read this: http://igorsbelltower.blogspot.com/p/infamous-biotin-rant.html

Just because something is water-soluble does not make it harmless! Alcohol is water-soluble! Is it harmless? NO.

Overdosing on water-soluble vitamins is acceptable. MEGAdosing on water-soluble vitamins is not! Taking 5000 mcg or more of Biotin is a megadose, not an overdose.

I know people on LCH that have reported renal failure from taking 5000 mcg of Biotin daily for over 6 months.

Be reasonable people!

I take 3000 mcg a day (and that is already a lot) ... I split my intake into taking one 1000 mcg pill every 4 hours, because water-soluble vitamins stay in your system for approx 4 hours.

What makes you think that your body is capable of absorbing 5000 mcg (or more) of Biotin in one go?

Please be prudent.

I was wondering about that. It seemed like a crap load to be taking at once as well as every single day. Thanks for straightening that out. You definitely want to be cautious on vitamins and such. Too much of a good thing.

millyaulait
August 3rd, 2012, 02:32 AM
This is a great thread.
I been talking vitamins for a while but there are some helpful suggestions.

It does worry me though, how many people take hair skin and nails vitamins and multivitamins at the same time! Would this be an overdose?
Mind, I have done it myself, until my mother saw and freaked out about me ending up with kidney failier because of constant vitamin overdose.

One this I would strongly recommend , please always take vitamins with food. NEVER on empty stomach, this is so dangerous!

Also, I have a close friend who took alot of different vitamins every day, for couple of years and now she has severe allergies to most. so please be careful and take a break from vitamins every several months.

Hmm, why is it dangerous to take vitamins on an empty stomach?

Gogobaby
August 3rd, 2012, 02:44 AM
Renal failure would occur if there is not sufficient fluid in the diet only, which would indicate a starvation diet. I agree about exercising prudence but not that vits are dangerous. Besides, she did clarify -- 'whatever works for YOU'. I follow a very similar regime to Bargello and take more biotin than her, plus arginine.. I train daily, so perhaps this helps in addition for greater fluid absorption seeing as one would eat and drink to make up for the loss.

Perididdle
August 3rd, 2012, 03:10 PM
Question about biotin, or any of these vitamins, actually -- since it impacts all hair/skin, does anyone see their hair anywhere else change or get more noticeable? As in, cheeks/eyebrows/arms/etc. While I'd LOVE to boost the hair on my head, I'm worried about my fuzzy nature elsewhere.

akilina
August 3rd, 2012, 03:30 PM
Question about biotin, or any of these vitamins, actually -- since it impacts all hair/skin, does anyone see their hair anywhere else change or get more noticeable? As in, cheeks/eyebrows/arms/etc. While I'd LOVE to boost the hair on my head, I'm worried about my fuzzy nature elsewhere.
I used to take biotin. Just one a day, NOT overdosing myself on it like so many do. What I noticed was...it hardly increased my growth by 1/8 of an inch, yet the rest of my body hair grew at an INCREDIBLY fast pace. Not enjoyable lol.
Eyebrows grew way too fast, armpit hair grew quickly, as well as leg hair...and uh...other hair, you know. :eyebrows:
I talked with my mom about it at the time. She said to stop taking it because the cystic acne and the migraines were not worth a tiny bit of growth.

Perididdle
August 3rd, 2012, 03:35 PM
I used to take biotin. Just one a day, NOT overdosing myself on it like so many do. What I noticed was...it hardly increased my growth by 1/8 of an inch, yet the rest of my body hair grew at an INCREDIBLY fast pace. Not enjoyable lol.
Eyebrows grew way too fast, armpit hair grew quickly, as well as leg hair...and uh...other hair, you know. :eyebrows:
I talked with my mom about it at the time. She said to stop taking it because the cystic acne and the migraines were not worth a tiny bit of growth.

Eeep! That's what I'm afraid of. My eyebrows grow absurdly fast as it is (daily plucking necessary) and leg hair, forget about it. I'll probably do some more research before considering...I'd rather do something topical so I can pick the areas of absurd grwoth. :P

As an aside, my riding instructor gives biotin to her horses and their feet and coat respond brilliantly. Never thought about taking it myself, not sure why though.

akilina
August 3rd, 2012, 03:55 PM
Eeep! That's what I'm afraid of. My eyebrows grow absurdly fast as it is (daily plucking necessary) and leg hair, forget about it. I'll probably do some more research before considering...I'd rather do something topical so I can pick the areas of absurd grwoth. :P

As an aside, my riding instructor gives biotin to her horses and their feet and coat respond brilliantly. Never thought about taking it myself, not sure why though.
You could always try castor oil, or a blend of stimulating EOs, Or the use of Monistat, also scalp massages with coconut oil. Taking a good well balanced vitamin in general is good.
I use castor oil blended with sweet almond oil so it is not so darn thick and sticky, then I put some rosemary EO, some tea tree oil, some peppermint EO, and lavender EO.
I am currently testing out Monistat where I am growing out my undercut. It hasn't even been a whole week though, so not sure if I can report anything at all. :)

cdonald2
February 8th, 2014, 04:02 PM
I have prenatal vites, biotin, fishoil, flaxseed oil, evening primrose...im missing silica, msm, and the gnc vite that was recommended... will it still work without it?

Lilelfen1
March 21st, 2014, 06:56 AM
I have to say, I love the fact that wanted long, lustrous hair has caused so many of us to become more nutrition/ naturally focussed. How wonderful!!!! I don't take my vits as often as I should, but when I remember (wee one at home = swiss cheese brain), I take vit E, MSM, Biotin, Emergen-C, vit D, and Fermented Cod Liver Oil. I used to take a Nature's Plus multi, too. ai find they are wonderfully potent and they are naturally based/sourced. Their prenatal is the most potent I have found on the market. I really need to make it a point to remember. Also, for those ladies who have a hard time with pills, Nature's Plus Source of Life makes ann AWESOME liquid Vitamin.

mariakatija
May 7th, 2014, 06:55 PM
I'm going to start a modified version of this in June. I will be adding the vitamins in slowly. Woohoo!

AutobotsAttack
August 23rd, 2015, 12:29 AM
This is awesome. I didn't even know what Evening Primrose was lol

cheeky
August 23rd, 2015, 09:00 PM
I encourage a look at labdoor for 3rd party testing on the potency or claims of supplement manufacturers. They have a brief analysis of whether the product actually contains the claimed minerals and nutrients. I know consumerlab is out there as well claiming to be an independent tester but have read articles alleging they're a scam.

Point is, no need to waste money on supplements/vitamins that are just compressed wood-shavings. There aren't many resources to verify manufacturer claims and these products aren't FDA approved nor regulated. Some can be downright toxic. Doesn't hurt to do a bit of research prior to beginning a new regimen.

Pixiebella
November 18th, 2016, 12:17 PM
I'd add that it is probably best to stay away from vitamins from Walmart. A recent independent analysis showed that just about all of their Nature's Way brand were bunk and contained little or none of what they claimed.