PDA

View Full Version : (Silly Question) Any Proctective styles that DON'T curl?

MissMay
November 30th, 2011, 01:01 PM
Hi guys =)
I'm a bit of a lurker on this forum, but recently I've decided that as my hair is getting quite long now (somewhere in the no-man's land between BSL and waist) I'd like to wear a protective hairstyle whilst I sleep . . . But all of the hairstyles I can think of would either curl it or wave it, and I quite like my hair straight when I wake up!
Am I being really thick, and there is a simple solution to this? I feel like I'm missing something obvious >.<

Avital88
November 30th, 2011, 01:08 PM
haha i would looove an answer on this too! i have the same problem

Woosh
November 30th, 2011, 01:14 PM
I have that problem too!

I currently use the lazy wrap bunwhich keeps the waving to a minimum, but it does give me this annoyring crease at the back that annoys me endlessly!

Aeris
November 30th, 2011, 01:15 PM
Hair wrapping, with a silk or satin scarf wrapped around, might work.

Or maybe a scarf wrapped tightly around the length to contain it, but left down and tossed over your pillow? I've never tried that though.

spidermom
November 30th, 2011, 01:17 PM
A top of head ponytail shouldn't curl it, maybe with a couple of hair-ties down the length to keep it from tangling. I do a top of head braid, but I don't get lasting braid waves unless my hair is damp when I braid it.

misspurdy06
November 30th, 2011, 01:21 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Satin-Natural-Style-Wrapping-Scarf/dp/B003I5SC22/ref=sr_1_4?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1322684414&sr=1-4

WaitingSoLong
November 30th, 2011, 01:25 PM
I have pasted my invention on here several times but here it is again! No one has yet to try it that I know of. I sleep in this thing every night. My hair is straight when I get up unless it gets folded somehow and I sleep on it. However, if you secure your hair in sections down the length before wearing this, it stays pretty straight but then you have the kinks from the bands.

http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp17/Poetry4me75/P1030516.jpg

http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp17/Poetry4me75/P1030518.jpg

WOW sorry for the size thing, not sure what happened they both used to be the same size. Anyway, I made it from a silky pair of pajama pants I picked up at goodwill, the stretchy kind of silky. Basically just cut the pants in half, use the elastic from the waist band as the part that goes around your head and sew the seam. I tapered mine quite a bit but that is not necessary. It's ugly but it does the job.

Aerin
November 30th, 2011, 01:26 PM
Yeah, I was just thinking of that thread a while back that mentioned the dreadsock-which is just a sleep cap with a lot of room for hair. You might still roll over on top of it though, but you probably won't be strangled by your hair.

darklyndsea
November 30th, 2011, 01:26 PM
Um...a sleep cap? I don't think it does anything to your wave pattern if you just stuff your hair into it loose.

MissMay
November 30th, 2011, 01:49 PM
Thank you for all your suggestions! Ridiculous-yet-protective-hairstyles here I come!
=)

Zesty
November 30th, 2011, 03:09 PM
I really recommend trying just draping your hair over your pillowcase. I was braiding my hair for a while, but saw some damage from the hair tie and from rolling on it all the time. It also annoyed me to have it underneath me. So I started just draping my hair over the pillow while loose, and even though I toss and turn like no other, it stays well. Occasionally a tendril will escape, but sleepy-me usually just brushes it back up with the rest of my hair no problem. No issues with unwanted kinks, no hair bothering me while I sleep, no weird style to put it into before bed. It's also worked pretty well when sleeping with DBF, for the record. Once your hair gets long enough to drape off the bed, though, it might make a difference as to the type of bed you sleep in (i.e. if you have a solid headboard, your hair won't be able to drape over the edge of your mattress and keep out of the way).

spidermom
November 30th, 2011, 03:14 PM
I'm a toss and turn maniac; I'd never keep a sleep cap or sock on.

WaitingSoLong
December 1st, 2011, 05:52 AM
I'm a toss and turn maniac; I'd never keep a sleep cap or sock on.

Me, too. I also sleep with a pillow over my head and it gets tossed on and off all night, I curl up under my blankets. My sleep cap is a MUST because of the amount of friction damage. My head won't stay on my satin pillowcases so they don't do me much good.

My cap has only come off once or twice. It has strangled me a time or two. LOL

Anywhere
December 1st, 2011, 06:01 AM
Any caps I put on my head fall off, and draping my hair never worked either because I guess I curl up throughout the night, then roll over and curl up again, etc. Hair is a tangled, undraped mess after that. :p

Wrapping keeps my hair straight, and safely on my head, all night. Sometimes a bobby pin might come loose but it stays up for the most part.

Renate
December 28th, 2011, 01:04 PM
Will those hair towels damage my hair if I sleep in it?

kaiakai
December 28th, 2011, 01:20 PM
I've been lurking on these "protective style" threads for a while now. I've tried to ignore them, and put them to the back of my mind, but... friction damage? Seriously? How do can you tell if your hair is being damaged by your bed or whatever else? Is it really avoidable?

(I toss and turn too and have a hard time sleeping if my hair is up in a bun or hat or towel or the like. If I braid my hair, the braids get pretty fuzzy by morning.)