PDA

View Full Version : Revenge of the Coconut Oil!

alittleprincess
November 30th, 2011, 11:18 AM
Hi everyone! I'm a newbie, and I just bought a nice tub of coconut oil after reading about all of the benefits on LHC. I have been using it as a face moisturizer too, so i have been using it daily. Well, this morning, I reached for my coconut oil, which was sitting next to my computer. The heat from my computer was enough to melt the oil, but I opened it like i always do, as if it were a solid. There was a coconut oil explosion! the oil hit my wall, splattered my floor, and covered my desk. I quickly set the tub down and ran for paper towels. When i got back, my boyfriend was attempting to clean up. He picked up the (still open) tub of oil, and it slipped right out of his hands and onto the floor! Coconut oil was absolutely everywhere, and i had to be at work in 10 minutes! I actually considered using a sick day just to clean up the mess. It was easier to clean up once it solidified. It looked like candle wax was all over the room!

So, I have officially had my first hair product disaster. I was wondering if there are any other stories out there. What is the craziest (hair or product related) thing that has happened to you guys since you started at LHC?

ktani
November 30th, 2011, 11:23 AM
I am so sorry that happened! I cannot think of anything remotely like that to top it or compare.

Have I had hair disasters in my life? Yes.

Not product disasters though.

spidermom
November 30th, 2011, 11:24 AM
Haha - that's happened to me, too, but on my bed. I was so used to it being solid, but that particular day it was actually warm enough to melt. I wasn't ready for that! I stained our pretty new sheets; it never did wash out completely.

cnd0020
November 30th, 2011, 11:25 AM
Oh my gosh, what a mess! Luckily your sweet BF helped you clean up!

My latest Revenge of the Oil disaster was when I put about a HALF CUP of olive oil on my hair a few days ago. I quickly realized that I'd used way too much, but it was so nasty to try and wash out! Ended up using an SLS shampoo and chalked it all up to a learning experience.:uhh:

moon2dove
November 30th, 2011, 11:26 AM
Welcome to LHC! :D

Oh, my goodness! What a mess! :eek:

Hope you managed to clean it up OK.

(Sorry, can't think of one yet, just had visions of doing the same with my Coconut oil :eyebrows:

PaganPriestess
November 30th, 2011, 11:27 AM
omg what a disaster!

This isn't hair related, but it did smell like coconuts...

I was working at a daycare. During the summer, we advised the parents to send in sunblock for their children so they did not get sunburned playing outside. The sunblock was kept in the children's cubbies.

Since it was so hot, I kept the kids inside that day. They had fun playing on a big play center that was designed to look like a tree with a slide coming out of it.

All of a sudden I start smelling coconuts. And it was getting stronger. Hmmm... A little more time goes by, and it still smells like coconuts. Then I notice that the kids are FLYING out of the tree slide. That's when I realize that the coconut smell is coming from the tree. One of the kids (my resident hell-raiser) had gotten a bottle of sunblock and squirted it EVERYWHERE in the tree, and poured the rest down the slide. The slipperiness was making the slide one hell of a ride for the kids - and also getting sunblock all over all of them.

I've never seen or cleaned such a mess in my entire life!

Amber_Maiden
November 30th, 2011, 11:34 AM
Yuck! Poor you!

Well, I did once get henna all over my bathroom curtain, without realizing I had, and it ended up dripping into the bathtub. I never could get the henna out of the curtain, and the bathtub was stained red no matter what I did. Looked like a murder scene.

ktani
November 30th, 2011, 11:40 AM
Oh wait - does my stained shower curtain - from linden flower tea count? I have told this story before.
6 years later after countless scrubbings and machine washing - the stain is finally gone - the curtain is almost like new again, lol.

Nah - that does not come close to what you went through.

Amber Maiden
Loved your story - howled with laughter - at your description only (murder scene).

alittleprincess
November 30th, 2011, 04:33 PM
PaganPriestess (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/member.php?u=43971) - hahaha. I can just imagine those kids loving the extra speed on the slide. It is amazing what kids can get into!

I did get most of it cleaned up (for future reference, diluted dishsoap is quite effective) but I keep moving and picking things up and finding more solidified coconut oil under them. Right now, I have some of what was left in the container on my head. Might as well put it to good use!

jacqueline101
November 30th, 2011, 04:50 PM
Oh my I'm thinking its ruined.

Lissandria
November 30th, 2011, 04:55 PM
LOL at all these stories. It's warm here most of the time and I'm notoriously clumsy so I keep my coconut oil in the fridge. Lasts longer and it is ALWAYS completely solidified.;)

RapunzelKat
November 30th, 2011, 06:39 PM
Ooh, what a mess! I bet it smelled nice, though. :D

I have had one incident, but more minor. I was putting a temporay streak of color in my hair, which I had never done before. I kept finding drips and spots for weeks after... Rug, soap dish, counter, mirror....

Animae
November 30th, 2011, 06:47 PM
In HS when I used the Frizz eaze hair serum that came in a glass bottle, i knocked it off my sink and it shattered into a million pieces on the tile floor. I had to mop the floor four times before all the glass was gone.

Kaelee
November 30th, 2011, 09:40 PM
I keep mine in the fridge...it prevents things like that AND that weird grainy texture it gets when it melts and re-solidifies. I scoop it out with a spoon when I want to use some. :)

I used to work in a store, and a woman brought back some melted coconut oil that she'd left in her car. She insisted something was wrong with it. Um, no. You left it in the car and it melted silly. :D

Rebeccalaurenxx
November 30th, 2011, 10:23 PM
Once I was coloring my sisters hair dark brown, only after maybe 10 minutes after I had begun, I realized I was not wearing gloves. I figured that I could do the rest with plastic bags on my hands, so I did.
I soon realized after finishing her hair, that both of my hands were stained black. Both hands, the whole hand. Black. And it would NOT come off.
I went online and spent the whole day trying different things to get it off, but everyones answers could not get it off.
I went to school (I was in high school at the time) and my friends ridiculed me. My friend Rachel called me "gorilla" the entire week, because my hands, well they resembled gorilla hands.

Oh, what a disaster THAT was.