PDA

View Full Version : Cure for Dandruff!

JatnnaBibi
November 30th, 2011, 10:46 AM
Ok so I'm new to LHC so forgive me for not having a picture or a fancy signature, but jsut so you know I have short curly hair.

I wanted to share my experience with Dandruff with everyone. I Had really bad dandruff my entire life, as does my mom. No matter what shampoo I tried or treatments nothing seemed to work. So how did I come up with a way to cure it? Initially I was aiming to cure my hair. I messed up my hair reaallyy bad with chemicals and washing it every day because of the dandruff... once I wanted to leave a conditioning treatment in and I DIDN'T READ THE STUPID CONTAINER...it was a relaxing system...a cheap one my sister bought..so it MESSED up my hair...my hair and scalp were in horrible condition. my head felt like an itchy dry broom..

The treatment-less washing, method of washing hair, tea tree oil

Firstly, my dog has skin problems, her skin gets really itchy and dry, so badly she will get scabs from scratching, and her hair gets nasty. I started putting tea tree oil on her every day and after about a month she had MORE hair, which really surprised me. Not just more hair, but all the marks on her skin were gone, her hair wasn't all dry and nasty...before u didn't really want to touch her because of how her skin looked...now everyone always wanted to hug her..she smelled good too!

1.So I thought...could tea tree oil work for me? So I started putting tea tree oil on my fingers and massaging my scalp with it EVERY time I washed my hair...which was every day.

After about two weeks of doing that my scalp FELT better. It wasn't itchy at all but still i had dandruff...I was also still washing my hair every day.. so this may be the reason the itchiness wasn't so bad..

2.Then I started to wonder if washing my hair so much was bad. I decided I wanted to wash my hair less after reading so much about the difference simply washing your hair less can do, to allow the sebum to distribute. My goal -once a week.....

This was a ...1-2 month process... I always had a scarf or bandana on my head to prevent myself from scratching my hair (not because it itched but just because I knew i had dandruff on my scalp it bothered). So first I was washing my hair every other day....then I would alternate weeks, one week every other day , then one week only 2 days a week.....The 2 days a week were horrible my head would feel soooo itchy I watched to just shave my head it sucked.....it was only getting worse and worse...you may question why I was still doing it if my head was feeling sooooooooooo itchy...I was determined... eventually I was alternating once a week and two days a week.....then suddenly POOF....everything changed...my head wasn't itchy at all and I had no dandruff......HALLELUJAH...I was really aiming to just fix my hair not my head....I'm not sure if it was two months solid but definitely not anymore than that...It was the most incredible thing..I had dandruff as long as I could remember...

There is also one more thing I didn't mention...the way I washed my hair....I used to put the shampoo in, just like in the salon, and scrub my head with my finger nails, then wash it all out...then one day I was talking about it with my bf and he said...you are supposed to leave it in don't you know that , everyone knows that....So SOMETIMES I used dandruff shampoo (TGEL it dries out your hair tho) but most of the time I used regular shampoo.....no matter what shampoo, first thing I did when I got in the shampoo was shampoo, and leave it in for as long as I could, I aimed for 5-10 minutes..it was hard at first but I got used to it and I'm even trying to convert to CO-wash now....so don't just rinse it out, leave it in for a while THEN wash out.....those two months SUCKED but it was allllllllllllllll worth it.....This was all about a year ago, so I still have some of the messed up dry hair but the first six inches of my hair are beautiful and soft

hope someone else with dandruff out there can cure themselves too!!

Hope this was helpful to someone!

Jatnna :)

arielįgua
February 17th, 2012, 04:19 AM
Oh this is interesting...
Lately I have been having scalp issues.
I never had dandruff before, but since last year my scalp is releasing lots of small white flakes.
I use oil before washing my hair, both in the scalp and length.
I wash my hair 2 a week. Should I stretch the days even more?
My hair is soft and is not damaged, but my scalp has so many flakes. Grrr.
Really don't know what to do.

Sheryl
February 17th, 2012, 05:24 AM
I have dandruff too and have tried a lot of things. I only wash my hair about every 5-7 days, or as long as I can get away with it if I am off work for a few days when it's at it's dirtiest.

Not right away after washing but withint about 3 days I start to get flakes. Sometimes I use a cotton ball soaked in vinegar, lift my hair in places and put it on my scalp where it is flaking. This helps but it still comes back.

I went shampoo free for an entire year, a few years ago, using baking soda and vinegar and also using just conditioner. The dandruff was really bad then, so I switched back to shampoo and it's much better, but I still have it.

Hubby uses Head and Shoulders but I don't want to strip my hair, so I won't use it. Would it hurt to just use it on my scalp only. I am also a henna head and do not want to fade the henna with the stripping Head and Shoulders shampoo.

Anybody out there have a cure for dandruff that's good for your hair?

TheLuckyLurker
February 17th, 2012, 03:59 PM
I asked a similar question on the herbal/natural care sub forum, and they encouraged me to try apple cider vinegar rinses. I just tried my first one, combined with my first CO wash; I've got my fingers crossed.

sophia johnson
June 9th, 2019, 12:28 PM
There are also a few things you can do yourself if the specialty shampoos just aren’t cutting it. Try home remedies for two weeks to get rid of dandruff naturally

Shampoo more often. This can help reduce the oils on your scalp.
Use green tea. Combine green tea, peppermint essential oil and white vinegar and massage it on your scalp for five minutes. Then, rinse it off with a sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner. Green tea and peppermint essential oil have antioxidants and anti-microbial properties which can promote a healthy scalp and also condition your hair so it is not as dry or irritated.
Use apple cider vinegar. Dilute the vinegar with equal parts of water. Use this mixture as a substitute for your shampoo. Apple cider vinegar can kill the fungus that may cause dandruff. It provides relief from itchiness and can help subside the dandruff.
Have a coconut oil massage: Combine five to 10 drops of tea tree oil with 5 tablespoons of coconut oil. Apply the mixture to your scalp at night and then rinse it off in the morning or if you’re pressed for time, just leave it on for 30 minutes and then rinse it off. Coconut oil (https://www.today.com/style/coconut-oil-hair-skin-face-12-beauty-benefits-t128320) also fights against fungi, which can help eliminate the dandruff. Tea tree oil will help bring the shine back to your hair.
Use lemon juice. Massage 2 tablespoons of lemon juice onto your scalp and let it sit for a minute. Then, mix 1 teaspoon of lemon juice and 1 cup of water. Rinse your hair with the mixture. Repeat this right before your daily shower for the best results. Fresh lemon juice contains acids that help break down the fungus that can cause dandruff. It also does not have harsh chemicals in it, which could harm your scalp.
Use baking soda. Wet your hair and sprinkle 1 tablespoon of baking soda along your scalp. Leave it on for a minute and wash it off. You can also shampoo after to thoroughly rinse it off. Baking soda fights against overactive fungi and can help exfoliate the skin on your scalp without irritating it. Baking soda also soaks up excess oil

lapushka
June 9th, 2019, 03:51 PM
Last thing I need with my SD (aka dandruff+) is oil on my scalp.

Baking soda is also very alkaline. Nobody wants that on their hair, and it shouldn't be promoted IMO.

Dark40
June 10th, 2019, 03:07 PM
When I have scalp issues or dandruff I use Head&Shoulders Shampoo and Conditioner. I also use any kind of essential oil on my scalp as well.

ExpectoPatronum
June 10th, 2019, 04:24 PM
I'm using a shampoo with tea tree oil and it's really helped reduce itchiness. I still get flakes but not as bad as before. I use Head and Shoulders every couple weeks too.