PDA

View Full Version : Weird hair breakage- whole locks!

Faery
November 30th, 2011, 07:35 AM
Hi there,
I often used to lurk on this forum and have found it very useful.
I have very long hair, comes down to my bum and it used to behave itself very well but it's been acting up over the last six months. I have sensitive skin and occasionally get a mild form of psoriasis/dermatitis on my scalp, and maybe this is the cause?
Anyway, over the last 6 months when I brush my hair at times I have spotted a whole lock that is just broken of at about an inch away from my scalp. I haven't noticed more hair shedding, it's not in my hair brush, not in the plughole, I really don't know where it goes! All I've got is different locks at varying lengths along my scalp. One day I was brushing my hair and noticed a thick curl lying flat on my forehead and the hair near my face (the bit that falls over your eyes when you lean your head forward) was just -not there anymore-. Terrifying. Has anyone else experienced this, or do you have any suggestions as to what I can do to prevent this happening?
The thing I can't get my head around is where the rest of the metre-odd long lengths of hair go! Maybe my boyfriend is just grazing on my hair while asleep and ingesting it!

Gothchiq
November 30th, 2011, 01:31 PM
I wonder if there's not some infection going on that eats through the hair strands. I would go to the doctor asap!

spidermom
November 30th, 2011, 01:35 PM
I'm going to vote that it sheds out quietly without you noticing it. I'm really careful to comb, brush, and gather up hairs when I shower so that they don't go down the drain, but plenty go down the drain anyway.

SpinDance
November 30th, 2011, 01:41 PM
If locks are breaking off about an inch from the scalp then with an average growth rate of .5 inch perhaps something happened a couple of months ago that was stressful, causing a weakened area in the hair. When something then happens to stress that weak point on that lock it breaks.