PDA

View Full Version : Dry hair help

countryhorse
November 29th, 2011, 10:14 PM
Hello all,
I have recently started using natural shampoo bars. My hair is normally thick, wavy, corse and tends to tangle easy. I used to use a ton of conditioner to be able to get through it after washing. Now using the shampoo bars I take a pick with me into shower and pick the tangles out the best I can, then again when I get out. AFter a couple times my hair looks even frizzier, dry, etc.
I just tried that Renpure treatment that I decided to buy because of the rebate that will make it free basically. :)
So my question is what are some good products to try to help this crazy dry hair?!?!? All natural a must.
Thanks so much for any HELP! Suggestions,
Sincerely,
Angela

Moor_tu_lyfe
November 29th, 2011, 10:19 PM
Do you use oils? I found that my hair doesn't like protein (feels dry, strawlike and crunchy) but if my hair is clarified (so the oil can penetrate the hair, and not just sit on top) then a small amount of virign coconut oil after washing leaves my hair feeling much better, and doesn't dry oily at all. And it helps with tangles!

Good luck. :)

sycamoreboutiqu
November 29th, 2011, 11:10 PM
Hi Angela - another Angela here.

I second what she just said. Any product that has a protein component makes my hair dry, tangly and unmanageable. I am definitely much happier having switched to the CO method and using oils on my length. Too much moisture on the other hand causes frizziness, so a balance of the two - and a smoothed cuticle is the ultimate solution.

I have also tried the Oil Shampoo method with good results. That involves adding Coconut oil to a sulfate shampoo (something I would have to go steal from my husband, as I no longer have shampoo in my repetoire of hair care products). The sulfates in the shampoo help the Lauric acid of the Coconut oil penetrate the hair shaft. The end result is stronger, smoother hair shaft. It really does work.

I would chuck the shampoo bar - basic soap is not the best thing to be using on wavy coarse hair. It is probably also leaving buildup so a good clarifying is in order. It is as simple as putting a teaspoon of baking soda in shampoo and leaving on for a few minutes. Definitely leave some good conditioner on for awhile afterwards as you will need it - but the end result should be lighter, softer hair.

I always know when it is time to clairfy, it is when my hair starts feeling "icky" and I don't like it any more :(