PDA

View Full Version : Audrey Hepburn Hair?

ebba
November 29th, 2011, 09:07 PM
Hello everyone!!
so i have been watching tons of Audrey Hepburn movies lately and have been thinking how much i love her hair and crazy bangs but i was wondering if it would look good on me or if it is too out of style/wierd.
i've been growing my hair for awhile now and dont want to lop it all off in vain but it's so glamorous.
I dont know if it would be worth it!! but then i would have all virgin hair as well haha:cheese:
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e280/sister_becca/Audrey_Hepburn.jpghttp://i1026.photobucket.com/albums/y327/Sunbeeemz/audrey_hepburn_short_haircut.jpghttp://i1026.photobucket.com/albums/y327/Sunbeeemz/audrey_hepburn_haircut.jpg
my hair (kinda frizzy in picture)
http://i1026.photobucket.com/albums/y327/Sunbeeemz/smile.jpg
most recent, super crazy after sleeping on it loose
http://i1026.photobucket.com/albums/y327/Sunbeeemz/2011-11-04140443.jpg
http://i1026.photobucket.com/albums/y327/Sunbeeemz/palekid.jpg
old picture with bangs

thanks!!

long&blonde
November 29th, 2011, 09:14 PM
Of course its totally your decision! I so admire your courage in considering the cut. I think you have a beautiful face, that will look awesome w/this cut. You have great cheekbones & eyes. Not everyone could pull this cut off. if you decide to get it;I totally think you could!

Freckled.Thing
November 29th, 2011, 09:21 PM
Wow, it certainly is glamorous hair style! I know I couldn't pull it off in a million years, but from your pictures I really think you could. You have a lovely face and very fine features. I think if you really want it you would look fantastic.

However, whatever you do, don't cut off all your hair on impulse! I would say wait at LEAST two weeks before you do anything so drastic. And you probably shouldn't watch anymore Audrey Hepburn movies in that time. You don't want to be biased. Just think about it for a while and make sure it's what you really want.

holothuroidea
November 29th, 2011, 09:45 PM
That's a lot of hair to loose! Maybe just try the fringe first? I agree that you should wait a while until you make the choice.

I do think you would completely :rockerdud this style, though. :)

ktani
November 29th, 2011, 09:52 PM
You can have the best of both worlds. Try the fringe as was suggested.

I am an Audrey Hepburn fan too and she suited her hair long and short.

If you get the fringe and want the cut - go for it.

However, you can have the same result with the fringe and wearing your hair up and have more variation by wearing it down with the fringe held back with a band when the mood strikes you.

Moor_tu_lyfe
November 29th, 2011, 09:53 PM
I haven't seen a lot of Hepburn movies, but in the photos you attached, it looks like she might have some length?? I think you could get a similar look with a fairly heavy fringe, and a french roll.

You've got gorgeous eyes and eybrows, and even similar jawline and mouth to Katherine Hepburn, I think you could certainly pull off this look! :)

DarkSky
November 29th, 2011, 09:57 PM
Wow I hate to encourage you, but that cut would definitely suit your face shape. It makes me think of this actresses cut from the tv serious "Once Upon a Time" http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3123491328/tt1843230. You both are soo cute!!

PaganPriestess
November 29th, 2011, 10:12 PM
Audrey had some longer hairstyles as well. Breakfast at Tiffany's comes to mine. Here's some pics:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_7kNSZzsnMVc/TMWRTv-ZaEI/AAAAAAAAA5g/YtIFffPzIGI/s1600/Breakfast-at-Tiffany-s-audrey-hepburn-2296853-1024-576.jpg

http://candybarbie.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/audrey-hepburn-deer-pippin.jpg

http://s11.lucyphotos.com/images/orig/1/l/1ltwwqt4v2rc2vcq.jpg

I agree with most everyone else, try the bangs out before you chop your length.

Moor_tu_lyfe
November 29th, 2011, 10:23 PM
Wow, she doesn't seem to smile alot. She needs kisses from Bambi to get even a slight upturn of her lips. ;) It bugs me people who are too cool to smile- although she was very pretty...

HintOfMint
November 29th, 2011, 10:48 PM
I love her! Every time I watch her movies I have the urge to do everything I can to look like her, haha.

You could definitely pull off her bangs and her hairstyles. You have the features for it.

One strange thing though. Some suggested cutting just the bangs but I think you would have to have the rest of your hair always pulled back or styled in some way to avoid the mullet look.

Nenwing
November 29th, 2011, 11:18 PM
Its funny but you do resemble her! She has very unique delicate features, and your nose shape and mouth are very similar, plus your eyes are similarly proportioned (that doe eyed look). I think you could pull it off. I too admire her look often, especially with it short with bangs (like in the movie Sabrina where she wears that fantastic dress). I don't think I could pull it off, I have totally different features and it would look odd on me probably.

CurlyCap
November 29th, 2011, 11:30 PM
I'd cut in the bangs, and bring your favorite picture of Audrey to a GOOD stylist. Wear the bangs with a chignon for a while and decide what to do with the rest of the length. If you get tired of the bangs, then at least you'll just be waiting for the layers to catch up. :D

2 Week Rule!

ericthegreat
November 30th, 2011, 02:05 AM
Audrey Hepburn simply had a gorgeous face. She was a stunningly beautiful woman, it didn't matter whether she had long hair or chopped it all off into a chic pixie like she did in Roman Holiday.

If you are dying to try out a completely different look, then I say go for it! I'm sure you would look wonderful. I would however recommend the standard two week rule, and if you still feel just as strongly about this dramatic haircut as you do right now, go for it.

oktobergoud
November 30th, 2011, 04:19 AM
That's a lot of hair to loose! Maybe just try the fringe first? I agree that you should wait a while until you make the choice.

I do think you would completely :rockerdud this style, though. :)

Exactly this! :)

Cania
November 30th, 2011, 04:27 AM
Audrey Hepburn simply had a gorgeous face. She was a stunningly beautiful woman, it didn't matter whether she had long hair or chopped it all off into a chic pixie like she did in Roman Holiday.

If you are dying to try out a completely different look, then I say go for it! I'm sure you would look wonderful. I would however recommend the standard two week rule, and if you still feel just as strongly about this dramatic haircut as you do right now, go for it.

Exactly this!

Martukita
November 30th, 2011, 04:50 AM
Its funny but you do resemble her! She has very unique delicate features, and your nose shape and mouth are very similar, plus your eyes are similarly proportioned (that doe eyed look). I think you could pull it off. I too admire her look often, especially with it short with bangs (like in the movie Sabrina where she wears that fantastic dress). I don't think I could pull it off, I have totally different features and it would look odd on me probably.

I agree with her, your proportions are very very similar to hers! That look woul suit you a lot, but again I would begin only with the bangs, just in case you don't like it. But I think you'd be beautiful with them! :)

Lamb
November 30th, 2011, 05:05 AM
It's one thing to see a hairstyle on someone like Audrey Hepburn, in a professional promo-photograph or movie still, complete with the right makeup, the costume, the jewellery etc.

It's another thing to get the same haircut and wear it in our own everyday, real life.

OP, you have a very pretty face with delicate features, but even if you got that exact same haircut, it would not look the same. Regardless of the points mentioned above, think about the one very obvious difference between your features and Aubrey's: EYES. You and A. have eyes of a different shape, size, and colour. And Aubrey's beauty, and what suited her and what not, very often depended entirely on her eyes (and eyebrows).
Your eyes are gorgeous, too, but they are of a different character.

I would think very carefully about this... And I hope you didn't take anything I said in the wrong way, no offence was meant. I only wanted to help. :flower:

Vanille_
November 30th, 2011, 05:24 AM
My hair was really long. Then I saw Twilight (the first one), and I fell in love with Alice's hair. On a whim, I went and chopped off my hair to look like hers. It was fun at first, but I did regret it after a while. I found out the hard way, that you actually have to style short hair. And then when you decide to grow it out again, you have to go through the awkward short phase where it's hard to do much and doesn't look good on many people.

I think you should take a week or two to think about this. I think you can pull it off, but don't do it impulsively.

Whatever you choose, you know we will love ya and support you! Pics <3<3

jacqueline101
November 30th, 2011, 05:25 AM
I like the bangs and would try that at first. I like the longer hair she had.

Lassie
November 30th, 2011, 05:46 AM
I think it could certainly work on you.
But it IS a very drastic cut...
And IMHO I prefer Audrey with her hair long...
Maybe get a cheap wig of the same style and wear it for a bit and see what you think before going the drastic cut

torrilin
November 30th, 2011, 08:13 AM
Like most actresses, Audrey Hepburn wore a lot of different looks. Often, you can adapt them to suit you, as Lisa Eldridge does in her Breakfast at Tiffany's (http://www.lisaeldridge.com/video/18342/audrey-hepburn-breakfast-at-tiffanys-inspired-make-up/) makeup video. So rather than chopping your hair into Audrey's exact pixie... start looking at pictures of her and trying to get a similar look with what you have for hair. Don't even add the bangs yet. See how the attainable stuff works with your everyday clothes and makeup. Don't just look at movie stills and promo shots of Audrey herself either. If you can find more things like Lisa's video, you can see how other women adapt the idea to themselves.

If it fits well, and doesn't leave you feeling "overdone" or "too fancy"... chances are you'd love adding the bangs. But Audrey's look isn't much at all about her hair, and it really depends on accessorizing well and dressing in a very austere sort of elegance. So if that feels odd... chances are the bangs would too and very quickly. And I can't think of much that I dislike more than growing out bangs.

FrozenBritannia
November 30th, 2011, 08:29 AM
Audrey's hair is longer in the first two pictures, it is just smoothed back into a frencho roll. You can see the roll on the left side in one of the photos and if you look at just beside her ears in both you can see that it is pulled back, not short hair.
I have had my hair that short and it can be quite complicated to style, especially on bad hair days when it just wants to stand straight up in every direction.

lapushka
November 30th, 2011, 09:54 AM
It's one thing to see a hairstyle on someone like Audrey Hepburn, in a professional promo-photograph or movie still, complete with the right makeup, the costume, the jewellery etc.

It's another thing to get the same haircut and wear it in our own everyday, real life.

I agree. OP, you have curly hair (3a), and so this is an entirely different texture than what Audrey has. Unless you're willing to heat style your hair or the bangs every single time, I'd not go for those bangs. It's not going to be the same, nor as easy as looking at AH pictures.

Gothchiq
November 30th, 2011, 09:56 AM
You could wear wavy bangs, sure. I don't know that I'd advise cutting off the rest of your hair, though.

MissAlida
November 30th, 2011, 11:44 AM
If you like it VERY much, go for it...otherwise you'll just wonder how it would have looked if you would have cut it...Also, the short hair would look great on you. You have a pretty face, and small features.
I'll point out some pro's and cons: Short hair is easy to wash, it dries in 5 minutes, you can style it in 5 minutes, always looks good, you can even colour it, it will grow out and get trimmed quickly. However, you should take into account, that with a pixie, you must go to the salon at least one a month- that means time and money (talking from experience here;)),men in general find long hair more attractive (also, experience), you might miss your long hair, and growing a pixie out is a pain in the a**. There will be all these awkward phases, and you'll feel like chopping it again. And one more thing : if you decide to try the pixie, and end up loving it, no matter how long you'll grow your hair in the next years, you will always, always long for your short hair, and have urges to chop.
That is all I had to say, just some things to take into account. I had a pixie 3 years ago, and loved it, so I'm only speaking from my own experience. Good luck with making the right choice. Oh, and PLEASE post a picture if you do decide to cut. I would love to see the result. :)

CrunchyMama
November 30th, 2011, 11:47 AM
I vote you chop the bangs and keep the length! You have THE PERFECT FACE to pull off her look! I'm totally jealous!!

vanity_acefake
November 30th, 2011, 12:02 PM
As an Audrey Hepburn enormous fan (I have all her films, multiple books and the breakfast at Tiffany's dress (a copy) I adore her hair.
But
As many others have said I would only cut your fringe. The iconic Audrey look is Breakfast at Tiffany's. Very 60's. It is an incredibly versatile look where as her gamine cut is not.
It is completely up to you of course but personally I think you can fake the shorter styles by pinning your hair away. Perhaps have the Tiffany's streaks added for a change.

kaiakai
November 30th, 2011, 12:21 PM
I'm putting in my vote for the bangs. (I think you could rock the short hair, too.)

WaterMusic
November 30th, 2011, 01:55 PM
I know everyone is saying you should go for the bangs first, but I have one small caution. You will probably have to modify them, she has a very short forehead (hard to explain, but the distance from hairline to eyebrows), and thus she can pull off the super short bangs. I would try to cut yours so they hit you at a similar distance from your eyebrows, rather than trying to get the exact same length.

holothuroidea
November 30th, 2011, 02:07 PM
Oh, word to the wise...

I tried a short-ish fringe once after having many long fringes cut and it was NO SALE. My hair needs to be a certain length (about 3 inches) in order to not stick straight up in the air. Maybe you want to try a couple of hairs first? If your baby hairs stick straight up then a short fringe probably will too. I looked like I was wearing a baseball cap. I had to pin them back forever it was not fun.

jaine
November 30th, 2011, 03:55 PM
I think you have the kind of face that would look good with any length hair.

weddy
November 30th, 2011, 04:15 PM
I agree you'd look cute with AH fringe, but keep the length to avoid regrets (you could always change your mind in the future). But to avoid the mullet, consider long layers, instructing the stylist to cut as little as possible while still blending the layers nicely.

A total short cut limits your styling choices dramatically, but long layers with fringe, you could do high or low ponies, updos and half-dos, braids, ect.

Hyrrokkin
November 30th, 2011, 04:29 PM
This is actually a bit funny, cause I have the same plans about cutting my own hair, and I have been looking at the exact same girls, Audrey Hepburn, Ginnifer Goodwin, and I also love Audrey Tautou's hair.. but like many of the other people her, I would say, yes you will probably look amazing with it, but cut the bang first...
(I am going to the hairdresser tomorrow and cut some bang, to see if that would satisfy me)

iszolda111
November 30th, 2011, 04:45 PM
You have a great face, with great cheekbones. I believe you could successfully pull of this haircut and look great. But I am so biased, and have to say that with your beautiful face, in a couple of years when your hair is very long, you will be a vision. And I have to discourage the lopping of hair, lol, but that is just me and my long hair loving opinion.

Capybara
November 30th, 2011, 05:52 PM
I've always loved Audrey's hair. And style. And grace. I think you could pull it off!

Just a side note, you've got AMAZING eyebrows.

jacqueline101
July 8th, 2012, 10:01 AM
I have vintage type bangs they're triangle cut be aware people will stare at your bangs if its not a new main stream hair style.

long&blonde
July 8th, 2012, 10:57 AM
You do have the perfect face and cheekbones to pull off this look.
You'd also look stunning in longer hair, as others have mentioned. I agree with getting the cheapest Hepburn short style wig you can find. Wear it to work,school,around loved ones, everywhere you go. If you very much dislike attention , as I do, would painlessly get that out of the way. Of course you'd get a ton of unsolicited opinions whether to really cut or not,if you reveal its a wig. I also agree styles look so awesome in the magazine, in the movies. No humidity, bangs perfectly framing the face. Then you get it yourself, and see how it fits into your real life. I do think you'd look beautiful. But you will look like you, beautiful you.

browneyedsusan
July 8th, 2012, 11:03 AM
You would look fabulous with that hair, but it will take a really, really long time to grow back.

Pros and cons from a (former) pixie:
Pros:
1) wash and wear
2) air dries in 15 minutes
3) no hair in your eyes/lipstick--EVER
4) ride with the windows down = you'll be fine.
5) You can color it every 4 weeks, damaged ends get cut off often.

Cons:
1) Crazy bedhead every day - mirror startle!
2) haircut necessary every 5 weeks
3) Very little variety in hairstyles. Letting your hair down is not an option.

IMHO: both long and short hair are very striking if taken to the extreme. Very few women are willing to razor to 1" or grow to terminal.

Debra83
July 8th, 2012, 11:24 AM
Hmmmm....you rock the bangs you had......you could probably get shorter bangs....I didn't like Ginnifer Goodwins look....too manly...but that's just my opinion.....Audrey would have looked good bald I'm sure.....I really like the pic of her hair where she's with the deer.....short, short bangs/long hair (I've been struggling on whether or not to get bangs for about 3 months now)....

Good Luck!!! Post pics if you go for it!!! :D

jojo
July 8th, 2012, 11:26 AM
Old thread but just wondering if the op actually did the audrey cut?

missmelaniem
July 8th, 2012, 12:38 PM
Oh this is old! I was about to comment with my 2 cents.

I love Audrey, BTW. Huge fan. :)