PDA

View Full Version : Do hair sticks work with thin hair?

Inching Along
November 29th, 2011, 04:41 PM
Hi, everyone! I have tried searching this forum but keep getting error messages, so here I am to ask you my question:

Do hair sticks work with thin hair?

My ponytail circumference is about 1.5 inches, so my volume of hair is not very thick, and my length is about 19 inches (shoulder length-ish) right now. I would like to try hair sticks with updos once my hair is a little longer, but I am not familiar with them and how they would work in my hair...and I don't want to spend the money on a beautiful hair stick that I can't use.

What is your experience with hair sticks, either one or two, straight or bent/wavy? And, going a little further, what about forks?

Thank you!

CarpeDM
November 29th, 2011, 04:43 PM
Yes! They work for me but in my case I needed length (not width LOL), I kept on trying until I had about 23 to 24 inches of hair and then they finally started working....I only need one stick by the way, straight or curvy it doesn't make a difference.

Eboshi
November 29th, 2011, 04:47 PM
My hair is very fine but not thin. Circumference varies between 3.25" and 3.5." I've found though that the thinner hair sticks are easier for me to work with, require less "wrangling" and are more comfortable to wear due to the lightness.

My favorite sticks are the Mei Fa brand by Shaune Bazner. Ron Quattro on Etsy also works with lightweight and thin-style metal sticks. Hope that helps!

CarpeDM
November 29th, 2011, 04:52 PM
My hair is very fine but not thin. Circumference varies between 3.25" and 3.5." I've found though that the thinner hair sticks are easier for me to work with, require less "wrangling" and are more comfortable to wear due to the lightness.

My favorite sticks are the Mei Fa brand by Shaune Bazner. Ron Quattro on Etsy also works with lightweight and thin-style metal sticks. Hope that helps!

I agree! The thinner sticks are better and I would totally recommend Quattro sticks, they are awesome!

CrunchyMama
November 29th, 2011, 05:10 PM
Thanks for asking, I've been wondering this too...

girlcat36
November 29th, 2011, 05:17 PM
Small Ketylos!

http://www.ketylo.com/servlet/Categories?category=Ketylo+Hairsticks+-+Acrylics+-+All%3AShort+%285%22%29

kdaniels8811
November 29th, 2011, 05:59 PM
Another sugestion is 60th Street forks, the three or four prong work wonders in my hair which is really thin. Webpage is 60thstreet.com. They are closed for the holidays but it gives you somewhere to look. Mei Fa sticks are the best, too!

skyblue
November 29th, 2011, 06:12 PM
yes they hold really well, I found out that having a good tight start to your twist when making a bun helps a lot towards a secure hold

Anje
November 29th, 2011, 07:21 PM
I find they're the best thing in my 2.5" circumference hair. You might need a bit more length to get them to stay well, though. I might be a bit strange, but I find two crossed sticks aren't that comfortable -- it seems like a bit of hair gets pinched between them and pulls. My favored arrangement is a single horizontal stick, but a single diagonal or a pair of non-crossing sticks also works well.

Try starting with something like a Lazy Wrap bun. Even if you can't wrap the tail around the base and just need to have it sticking up underneath (as per the 10sec quick bun that's now had the video disappear...). It's a really good place to start and will help you get used to the method of securing a bun with sticks. There are tricks to it where the stick basically serves to keep the whole thing from collapsing, but it's easier to have someone show you or figure it out yourself than to try to understand it from reading a description.

I like Ketylos, by the way. Not that I don't regularly wear other sticks, but the shape of the Ketylos keeps them from slipping out if the stick happens to get a nudge, say from my coat collar. Big sparklies at the end aren't quite my thing, either.

Sunshineliz
November 29th, 2011, 08:05 PM
Actually I think they work better! Just for fun, I tried to make a bun on DD2's hair which is still baby-fine, thin, and short (never had a haircut so her hair is chin at shortest and a toddler-APL at longest.) It worked! I never expected it to. It was the cutest itty-bitty bun.:) (I should've got a picture.:doh:) Her 3-year-old friend who has thicker hair between shoulder and APL wanted a bun too. Hairstick wouldn't even stay in for a second. I now understand what some people are saying around here when they say their hair spits out hairsticks.;)

ETA: I did the wrapped hairstick bun on them, the one in my siggy. It's also the first bun I could accomplish.

holothuroidea
November 29th, 2011, 08:28 PM
I feel like if you had a spare knitting needle or even a really dull pencil laying around you could give it a shot...

So I just took a wooden nail stick and did the "wrapped hairstick bun" (I just googled it and watched the first youtube video that came up) on my bangs that are about 4 inches long. I got the tiniest little bun ever and it stayed in. My hair is super fine and slippy. I think that if you get the right kind of stick (not heavy, not super slippy like metal) you could probably make it work!

I have some Ketylos on my Christmas list. :D (Thanks, girlcat!)

Inching Along
November 29th, 2011, 10:49 PM
Oh, everyone, thank you so very much for your comments! Now I have so much to try and look into. I really appreciate your expertise. Can't wait to play with some sticks...wonder what I can find around the house? :) I will be sure to look up the sticks and videos and such, too. I'm so excited for my hair to get longer now! This morning I had my hair up in a little bun (twisted from a ponytail) secured with two tiny claw clips. My hubby said he liked it, but that I needed something prettier to put my hair up with. I liked the sound of that, so I started thinking hair sticks! :D