PDA

View Full Version : Relatively newbie asking advice

evb
November 29th, 2011, 12:14 PM
Please forgive me if this is the wrong forum for this question. Also I have looked on the recipes forum as well as this one for this information and hope I am not asking something that is a oh no not again.... So I have spent the last month CSCing it and my hair and scalp are feeling much better. I did a castor oil scalp treatment one night and it significantly helped with itchy scalp syndrome so am doing another as I type. I thought itch was due to dirty but now I think my scalp may be a bit dry? My hair likes oils or at least I think it does... I used to use commercial hot oil treatments when I was younger as well as olive oil and ojon restorative treatments. So yes I put on some coconut oil before a wash as well as some ojon another time. I am not being very scientific in clarified hair then do one thing a month!

I am not sure how to tell if my hair has build-up or how to remove buildup despite reading about citric acid and or acid rinses {I used to do the ACV rinse when I was younger as well} and staring at my husbands clarifying shampoo in shower caddy :p

My hair tends to be problem free and in good health generally speaking. I think my ends feel like velcro but my hairdresser says it is very healthy and I don't have the white dots or whatever for breaks. I am thinking of going sulfate and cone free and have purchased some shampoo bars, which I have used in the past and even made during my soap making days, but am curious how this would work with the CSC. I am thinking of using oil instead of a commercial conditioner so... use the husbands clarifying shampoo day one then in 4 or so days when I wash again oil, shampoo bar, ACV, oil ends? Does that sound right or is that doing too much at once so not knowing what works vs what doesn't? I am always amazed when people say my hair loves olive oil but hates coconut or some such.... I just decided oh I used to oil or deep condition so lets go.... and have all of the oils sitting at home so just grab whatever I feel like at the moment.

I do know when I purchase the shampoos at health food store I get tired of them due to lack of suds and the conditioners don't feel silky so I personally like sulfates and cones but if it will help my hair be healthier as it grows longer I am wanting to try doing without. My hair doesn't suffer without either of those things historically speaking :cheese:

evb
November 29th, 2011, 12:14 PM
BTW my typing is via me and may be wrong.... I haven' asked for help with the typing and I did not have access to pics when I did it

SpinDance
November 29th, 2011, 12:25 PM
It is so exciting to try all sorts of new things, but all that does is muddy the waters of trying to figure out what works or doesn't work for you. It sounds like you already have good hair health, and have done a number of different things already, both in the past and recently, but not with any particular process or goal. I highly recommend following the newbie advice (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=39), then going through the diagnostic tips here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=39).

Take your time, change only one thing at a time, otherwise you won't really know which of the x-number of new things you did differently this time did or didn't work out. Keep notes so you can go back and see what that special whatever was that you liked so well. Remember that as your routine changes over time that something that didn't work so well may now work quite well. For example, I was not happy with the results of CO washing until I went cone-free.

We're in this for the long term, so there isn't any terrible hurry. If something doesn't work, stop, if it does then you can work it into your routine. It is hard to be patient, but it is fun to see how much affect even small changes can make over time! Best of luck in your long hair journey!

jacqueline101
November 29th, 2011, 12:31 PM
Doing something new is over whelming I know I had to sit down and figure out what I wanted to try and make a plan for action.

omgitssarah
November 29th, 2011, 12:53 PM
SpinDance, both of those links seem to lead to the same page. =D

evb
November 29th, 2011, 01:33 PM
It is so exciting to try all sorts of new things, but all that does is muddy the waters of trying to figure out what works or doesn't work for you. It sounds like you already have good hair health, and have done a number of different things already, both in the past and recently, but not with any particular process or goal.

We're in this for the long term, so there isn't any terrible hurry. If something doesn't work, stop, if it does then you can work it into your routine. It is hard to be patient, but it is fun to see how much affect even small changes can make over time! Best of luck in your long hair journey!

Thank you spindance for this reminder. I think the fact that I have, over the last 30 years, done most everything I have read that I am willing to do: henna, ACV, oil etc means I have never had anything make my hair look icky. It really is a matter of paying attention and unless something goes awry I am not sure I will be able to tell :p I will start keeping a journal.

SpinDance
November 29th, 2011, 02:33 PM
-blushes- Oops! Sorry! Thanks for letting me know, omgitssarah. I hate when copy/paste doesn't do what I want it to do... Let me try again:
- Newbie article (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=39)
- Diagnostic article (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=44)

Basically, spend some quality time in our Articles (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php)section, then wait for a while and go back and do it again. ;)

evb, it sounds like you are really lucky. You've tried lots of things and have gotten good results. I was surprised at how much I've enjoyed keeping a journal of what I'm trying with my hair.