PDA

View Full Version : Braid Tangles

feb26
November 29th, 2011, 10:36 AM
HI!! SOrry if this has already been addressed (did search with no luck). My issue is this: when I take my BSL length hair out of a braid (french or reg) after it's been in all day, the ends tend to be tangled together (sometimes quite badly). Any advice?? I don't usually use product when I braid, my hair is semi-fine. Any hints to prevent this would also be great, thanks! I don't want to cause damage to my hair because of the tangles...

Amber_Maiden
November 29th, 2011, 10:38 AM
Maybe try some light oil when braiding? And finger combing afterwards...

Madora
November 29th, 2011, 10:49 AM
After you've removed the braid fastener, undo ONE section and gently rake your fingers thru that section. Then undo another section and repeat..and so forth, until all the hair is unbound.

Gently rake your outspread fingers thru your hair again, then take small sections of hair, and working from the ends up to the scalp, detangle with a wide tooth comb.

You might find it easier to part your hair from forehead to nape, and keep one section banded off while you detangle the other section.

I always detangle while bent at the waist, with all my hair in front of me, so I can see what I'm doing. When I'm finished detangling, I part my hair from nape to forehead in 2 sections,
hold on to the ends of each section, then stand erect. I then place the right hand hair over the right shoulder and do the same with the left hand side. No flipping/tossing/flinging, as that creates more tangles.

Hope this helps!

LocustSpawning
November 29th, 2011, 10:54 AM
I also second Amber Maiden's comment about oiling the ends. I braid my hair for bed and apply Grapeseed oil to the very ends. Always soft and tangle free in the morning :)

janeytilllie
November 29th, 2011, 10:56 AM
I always use soft terry cloth hair ties for tying the ends. I find using anything else really tangles and knots my ends.

Like Amber_Maiden said I will make sure my ends are well silky. Either using a light serum or a light detangle spray. I find it helps for me if my ends are slippy when it time to unbraid.

I'm very gentle when unbraiding a braid. Like Madora said I too work each section slowly going up.

A good detangle tool is also a must. I like my Tangle Teezer

HTH :)

feb26
November 29th, 2011, 11:35 AM
hmm ok will look for oil for ends..the tangles at midsection and up aren't bad at all, just the bottom bits. TX!:D