PDA

View Full Version : UK Newspaper Article on PPD Allergies And Hair Dye

mneh
November 29th, 2011, 08:13 AM
I've just finished reading this article on hair dyes and PPD; I found it interesting so I thought I'd share it:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2011/nov/28/could-hair-dye-kill-you

I don't agree with the writer when she says there are no PPD-free, permanent hair dyes available commercially. Given that I use Logona herbal hair colours (and I know that Naturtint make PPD-free colours and Santé makes herbal hair colours, as do many other companies) my hair (and most likely that of other LHC-members) is proof that PPD-free hair colouring alternatives exist.

I felt the article writer's attitude to Henna is not very positive. Some of the reader comments on the article make for interesting reading too. I'm curious to see what other LHC folks think of the article :)

Amber_Maiden
November 29th, 2011, 08:24 AM
Huh.
Well, I don't like chemical hair dyes to begin with. As well as being bad for your hair they are also bad for you. The article didn't surprise me.
Palette by Nature is a PDD free hair dye.
I've tried it, and it's extremely expensive. I didn't have any reactions to it, though- but it wasn't very good. It only stuck to my hair ends which turned black, and it washed out of the rest of my hair. Keep in mind that I did it over henna, and left it on longer than normal.... So that might have been why it didn't work for me.

ktani
November 29th, 2011, 08:46 AM
I find the entire subject alarming.

However, it appears to be about allergic reactions. The post mortem results are not online that I have seen re Tabatha McCourt.

I am not defending PPD. As new scientific reports come in, the amount of it in hair dye regulations decreases.

Considering the millions of women who dye their hair, a reaction causing death is extremely rare.

People die from reactions to peanuts too.

One such death is too many for me.

I want to know facts about just what did happen, not speculation.

ETA: What I am saying is this. Was her death a reaction to PPD? Was there something else in the hair dye that caused it? Was it a combination of ingredients. Was the dye improperly formulated?

Did she have a history of allergies and did she previously use PPD in a tattoo, which increases the chance of a reaction with PPD hair dye apparantly?

There is a lot of information missing only post mortem results will clear up and even then perhaps not completely.

mneh
November 29th, 2011, 08:55 AM
Huh.
Well, I don't like chemical hair dyes to begin with. As well as being bad for your hair they are also bad for you. The article didn't surprise me.
Palette by Nature is a PDD free hair dye.
I've tried it, and it's extremely expensive. I didn't have any reactions to it, though- but it wasn't very good. It only stuck to my hair ends which turned black, and it washed out of the rest of my hair. Keep in mind that I did it over henna, and left it on longer than normal.... So that might have been why it didn't work for me.

I stopped having my hair coloured by my hairdresser because it began to make my scalp increasingly itchy after each application of hair dye. The reaction to the hair dye made me really think about the chemicals involved and what they might be doing to my skin. For the last 18 months, I've used Logona herbal colours and have found them to be much better: little or no itching and good coverage of greys.

I find the entire subject alarming.

However, it appears to be about allergic reactions. The post mortem results are not online that I have seen re Tabitha McCourt.

I am not defending PPD. As new scientific reports come in, the amount of it in hair dye regulations decreases.

Considering the millions of women who dye their hair, a reaction causing death is extremely rare.

People die from reactions to peanuts too.

One such death is too many for me.

I want to know facts about just what did happen, not speculation.

I agree, this is alarming. I also agree that more facts/advice are needed rather than speculation. It is good if public awareness on this issue is raised, as any number of deaths is too many, but it would be better if there was scientific data to back up any advice given to hairdressers and their customers.

ktani
November 29th, 2011, 09:03 AM
I agree, this is alarming. I also agree that more facts/advice are needed rather than speculation. It is good if public awareness on this issue is raised, as any number of deaths is too many, but it would be better if there was scientific data to back up any advice given to hairdressers and their customers.

I just ETA'd my post while you were posting. When you buy hair dye it usually says to patch test it first. I am not blaming the victim. What did happen? - all of it remains unknown and fodder for the press to make headlines with, without facts.

Alaia
November 29th, 2011, 09:05 AM
The thing about PPD in particular (scientists please correct me if I'm wrong) is that you can develop an allergy to it even if you've successfully used it for years (like the lady who wrote the article).

So even the industry advice about doing a skin test 48 hours before isn't always going to help. You may do the skin test and be fine but then when you go ahead with the dye you suffer a reaction.

Scary stuff, but a lot of things around are potential allergens. I don't think it will stop the general hair dyeing public because, after all, it will never happen to them.

ravenreed
November 29th, 2011, 09:13 AM
The article states that dyes with PPD are best for covering grey hair, not that there are not other alternatives. And, sadly it's true. Also, some 'herbal' or 'natural' tints contain PPD, including Naturtint.

It's bolded in the ingredients list below, from an Amazon listing. (http://www.amazon.com/Naturtint-Permanent-Hair-Colorant-Ounces/dp/B0001TQCSO)

Naturtint: 2 fl oz PEG-2 Oleamine, Aqua (Water), Cocamide DEA, Alcohol Denat (Alcohol), Propylene Glycol, Ethanolamine, Oleic Acid, Hydrolized Vegetable Protein (Triticum Vulgare, Soy, Corn, Avena Sativa), Sodium Sulfite, Sodium Ascorbate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Parfum (Fragrance). (+/-) p-Phenylenediamine, 4-Amino-2-Hydroxytolueno.p-Aminophenol, 2-Methyl-Resorcinol, m-Aminophenol, 4-Chloro Resorcinol, N,N-Bis (Hydroxyethyl)-p-Phenylenediamine Sulfate, 2-Amino-4-Hydroxy-Ethylaminoanisole Sulfate.

I am waiting for the time when I have a PPD reaction. I have been using it for over 2 decades now. However, I also have reactions to natural products that are just as bad. The worst rash I ever had was from soap nuts. So I am not overly convinced that I should change much at this point. I may start being more diligent about patch tests.

ktani
November 29th, 2011, 09:24 AM
Another article, http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2063862/Julie-McCabe-coma-using-LOreal-Preference-hair-dye.html
"A L’Oreal spokesman said: ‘L’Oreal was extremely concerned to hear about this serious situation.
‘We do not know the details of the case so it would be inappropriate for us to comment further, however we will do everything we can to assist this lady’s family and medical team with information they might need to establish what happened.’"

mneh
November 29th, 2011, 09:24 AM
The article states that dyes with PPD are best for covering grey hair, not that there are not other alternatives. And, sadly it's true. Also, some 'herbal' or 'natural' tints contain PPD, including Naturtint.

It's bolded in the ingredients list below, from an Amazon listing. (http://www.amazon.com/Naturtint-Permanent-Hair-Colorant-Ounces/dp/B0001TQCSO)

Naturtint: 2 fl oz PEG-2 Oleamine, Aqua (Water), Cocamide DEA, Alcohol Denat (Alcohol), Propylene Glycol, Ethanolamine, Oleic Acid, Hydrolized Vegetable Protein (Triticum Vulgare, Soy, Corn, Avena Sativa), Sodium Sulfite, Sodium Ascorbate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Parfum (Fragrance). (+/-) p-Phenylenediamine, 4-Amino-2-Hydroxytolueno.p-Aminophenol, 2-Methyl-Resorcinol, m-Aminophenol, 4-Chloro Resorcinol, N,N-Bis (Hydroxyethyl)-p-Phenylenediamine Sulfate, 2-Amino-4-Hydroxy-Ethylaminoanisole Sulfate.

I am waiting for the time when I have a PPD reaction. I have been using it for over 2 decades now. However, I also have reactions to natural products that are just as bad. The worst rash I ever had was from soap nuts. So I am not overly convinced that I should change much at this point. I may start being more diligent about patch tests.

I stand corrected: I was thinking of Naturtint's non-permanent hair colours - they are PPD-free.

I have had negative reactions to natural products too, that's why I try to get hold of product samples to test whether or not my body likes a product before I consider buying it. Sadly, samples aren't always easy to get hold of and that has resulted in a few things being bought and then thrown/given away when I have a reaction to them :(

ktani
November 29th, 2011, 09:35 AM
More information, http://dermnetnz.org/dermatitis/paraphenylenediamine-allergy.html

ETA:Quotes removed in keeping with copyright restrictions. Please read the content.

ravenreed
November 29th, 2011, 11:53 AM
Yeah, I am constantly passing along products to friends and family because I react either to the fragrance or the ingredients, or it just doesn't work for me. The health store brands just don't seem to work with my hair. I had a heck of a time finding SLS- AND protein-free products and the few I found didn't work. I have almost given up on trying anything new. Almost.

I am not allergic to henna, the orangy red just looks horrible with my skin tone. I am considering switching to Elumen, just to drop the PPD from my routine. It is an expensive switch and again, I am not sure that it will adequately cover the grey. *sigh*

I stand corrected: I was thinking of Naturtint's non-permanent hair colours - they are PPD-free.

I have had negative reactions to natural products too, that's why I try to get hold of product samples to test whether or not my body likes a product before I consider buying it. Sadly, samples aren't always easy to get hold of and that has resulted in a few things being bought and then thrown/given away when I have a reaction to them :(

mneh
November 30th, 2011, 01:11 PM
Yeah, I am constantly passing along products to friends and family because I react either to the fragrance or the ingredients, or it just doesn't work for me. The health store brands just don't seem to work with my hair. I had a heck of a time finding SLS- AND protein-free products and the few I found didn't work. I have almost given up on trying anything new. Almost.

I am not allergic to henna, the orangy red just looks horrible with my skin tone. I am considering switching to Elumen, just to drop the PPD from my routine. It is an expensive switch and again, I am not sure that it will adequately cover the grey. *sigh*

My husband and my sister are always well stocked with hair products because I give them my rejects :) @ravenreed is this information of use to you in choosing a new natural hair colour brand?

http://actnaturals.com/

http://www.ellament.com/Logona_Herbal_Hair_Colours_Natural_Hair_Dye.pdf

http://www.bio-kosmetika.com/servlet/dispatcher?map=article&lang=en&id_article=1357

http://www.actbynature.com/